Hi,

Is it recommended to install an anti-virus software/app on the Z10?

Cheers.
    02-23-13 03:04 PM
    Why?

and I'm totally serious about this, why would you need any kind of antivirus software on a BlackBerry?
    02-23-13 03:06 PM
    Hey there friend. There is. I callBS on smartphone antivirus, but there is one and its native. Max Mobile Security on BBWorld
    02-23-13 03:13 PM
    Why?
    and I'm totally serious about this, why would you need any kind of antivirus software on a BlackBerry?
    When using the browser, Twitter, Facebook, etc

Hey there friend. There is. I callBS on smartphone antivirus, but there is one and its native. Max Mobile Security on BBWorld
    Thanks.
    02-23-13 03:27 PM
    No problem brother.
    02-23-13 03:52 PM
    True, but I download it and it never ever managed to finish off one single scan on my Z10 so I unistall ed it. I just connect my Z10 up to my PC and let Norton scan it. Works fine for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 03:57 PM
    I'll just say this, any app that claims to be "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" etc... is a sham. I'm not picking on any particular app here. Unless it comes from BlackBerry themselves this kind of app is impossible. Basically apps don't have access to other apps. When you installl an app on your phone it gets extracted and placed in it's own folder. Only the app itself and the OS has access to that folder. No other 3rd party app can access that folder - period. Thus, any app claiming to scan your phone is BS because it is impossible for them to look in other apps folders.
    02-23-13 04:36 PM
    I just bought my blackberry and not that familiar yet with it. Isn't blackberry testing apps first before allowing release of such apps in BB World? If so, then how were these NQ & Max Mobile Antivirus allowed to be released if they are not what they claim to be? Would appreciate enlightenment on this as I was about to download NQ but decided to do a research first and found your forum.
    04-09-13 05:24 AM
    When using the browser, Twitter, Facebook, etc

Thanks.
    The BlackBerry os kernal QNX is pretty much unhackable. This is part of the reason why BlackBerry is infamous in regards to security. You won't ever be able to get a virus or malware on BlackBerry (at this time because the security is too good)

So don't sweat it about trying to install an antivirus or anti malware software.
    04-09-13 06:59 AM
    The BlackBerry os kernal QNX is pretty much unhackable. This is part of the reason why BlackBerry is infamous in regards to security. You won't ever be able to get a virus or malware on BlackBerry (at this time because the security is too good)

So don't sweat it about trying to install an antivirus or anti malware software.
    I would never bet on that. I believe everything can be hacked. Except for icesword. Unless that has been beaten too, I've not been keeping track

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 07:13 AM
    I would never bet on that. I believe everything can be hacked. Except for icesword. Unless that has been beaten too, I've not been keeping track

Posted via CB10
    Oh i know, that's why I put "pretty much unhackable" there is a reason why QNX is run on many big systems like nuclear plants. Very hard to penetrate.
    BBgeeqed04 likes this.
    04-09-13 07:24 AM
    Hi, I know you say that the QNX is the shiznit (and I have to agree lol) butttttt this morning I received an email from myself (which of course I did not send) titled 'I DID IT' from my Hotmail account. Naturally I did not open but deleted it as not that stupid lol.

Then I had 2 failure notices from 'the server' which I thought odd as not sent anything today :/ I (stupidly yes, but I didn't think it had anything to do with the 'I DID IT' email), I opened it and saw my phone had sent the same email to loads of people in my contacts :/ and some had failed, hence the failure notice

It even got sent to my works email with a different title and some weird link (of course it went straight into deleted items):
    Title: no economic problems since i started it
    Link in email body: Click Here!http://dramadabei.dk/www.foxnews.com...p?ixaolID=25ex

Now my BBM is on crack - my contacts all disappeared then came back. Then I opened it up again (after doing the old battery pull)...blank BBM . And I mean everything was blank it was just a grey screen with the blank avatar you get when you don't have a display pic. All contacts zero, conversations zero literally everything was just grey screens.

Its now back but is very intermittent Anyone able to shed any light??????

This combined with the self sending emails is leading me to think dun dun dunn VIRUS :'(
    05-29-13 07:29 AM

Hi, I know you say that the QNX is the shiznit (and I have to agree lol) butttttt this morning I received an email from myself (which of course I did not send) titled 'I DID IT' from my Hotmail account. Naturally I did not open but deleted it as not that stupid lol.

Then I had 2 failure notices from 'the server' which I thought odd as not sent anything today :/ I (stupidly yes, but I didn't think it had anything to do with the 'I DID IT' email), I opened it and saw my phone had sent the same email to loads of people in my contacts :/ and some had failed, hence the failure notice

It even got sent to my works email with a different title and some weird link (of course it went straight into deleted items):
    Link in email body: Click Here!http://dramadabei.dk/www.foxnews.com...p?ixaolID=25ex

Now my BBM is on crack - my contacts all disappeared then came back. Then I opened it up again (after doing the old battery pull)...blank BBM . And I mean everything was blank it was just a grey screen with the blank avatar you get when you don't have a display pic. All contacts zero, conversations zero literally everything was just grey screens.

This combined with the self sending emails is leading me to think dun dun dunn VIRUS :'(
    05-29-13 07:30 AM
    hey guys. I realy need an anti-virus for my BlackBerry z10 to scan a virus. Because this virus destroy my phone. And I tried those apps on bbw. But it doesn't work. Waiting for your help. Thanjs a lot
    05-13-14 11:16 AM
    You don't need an anti virus scanner on your Z10. What did you do? Are you sure it isn't just bricked?? Reload the OS and you should be fine
    05-13-14 11:37 AM
    hey guys. I realy need an anti-virus for my BlackBerry z10 to scan a virus. Because this virus destroy my phone. And I tried those apps on bbw. But it doesn't work. Waiting for your help. Thanjs a lot
    If you don't already have a virus scanner how is it that you know it's a virus?

As several other people have suggested, maybe you just need to reload the OS.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-13-14 11:40 AM
    The most secure consumer phone you can buy is a BlackBerry. I have never known a person with a BlackBerry to accidentally get a virus. So the odds are way against you having a virus...But we can't help you figure out what you have done unless you answer QuicKsllV3r's (that's hard to type! ) question...What were you doing when things went bad with your Z10?
    05-13-14 12:02 PM
    U have blackberry, you don't need any antivirus, those things for android users

Posted via BB Z10
    05-13-14 12:36 PM

You got spam on your Hotmail account, very common.

The rest of it could have as easily been caused by pulling the battery. Shouldn't be doing that. All but unnecessary and interrupting power at a critical time can lead to erratic behavior.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 04:08 PM
    It is true that applications are scanned by BlackBerry guardian and Trend Micro for malicious activity. But that only protects you if you get all your applications from BlackBerry World.

Scanners can't scan other installed apps, but that is not the only source of risk, and while there are no known BlackBerry viruses, your BlackBerry is not the only device at risk.

If you download a malicious attachment to your BlackBerry, it could later infect your PC or Mac. You might forward it to someone who is then infected. Installing APKS directly requires them to be downloaded first. All these threats could be scanned by a virus scanner.

Just be aware of what you're buying and why you are buying it.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 04:15 PM
    It is true that applications are scanned by BlackBerry guardian and Trend Micro for malicious activity. But that only protects you if you get all your applications from BlackBerry World.

Scanners can't scan other installed apps, but that is not the only source of risk, and while there are no known BlackBerry viruses, your BlackBerry is not the only device at risk.

If you download a malicious attachment to your BlackBerry, it could later infect your PC or Mac. You might forward it to someone who is then infected. Installing APKS directly requires them to be downloaded first. All these threats could be scanned by a virus scanner.

Just be aware of what you're buying and why you are buying it.

Posted via CB10
    That's one issue with installing Android apps. Hence the reason I say that Android runtime is only a short term solution to the lack of apps available for BlackBerry.

05-13-14 04:42 PM
    That's one issue with installing Android apps. Hence the reason I say that Android runtime is only a short term solution to the lack of apps available for BlackBerry.

Not if like me the only Android applications you use come from BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 05:37 PM
    I can't speak to the issue of whether a person SHOULD or SHOULD NOT get virus protection, but I've been told by someone in the system that the last two Presidents of the US, and the highest people in the military all have used Blackberrys, because they are more secure than other systems. I also know first hand that some Executives, who need significant security, still use Blackberry, even when they would rather by using an IPhone.

My guess is that the POTUS has people who are watching his stuff closely, and it wouldn't surprise me if he has special programming written especially for him, to keep things secure.

I don't choose Blackberry for that reason, but it is a nice fringe benefit for me to have the generally most secure system available. While I need a level of security in what I do, and would obviously rather not get any viruses, I'm pretty content with the low degree of risk, using my Blackberry without worrying about specific AV protection.
    05-13-14 07:33 PM
    Not if like me the only Android applications you use come from BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    Huh?

05-13-14 10:35 PM
    Huh?

All the Android applications in BlackBerry World have been scanned for viruses.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 04:07 AM
34 12