Starting school in two weeks and wanted some feedback from anyone using the two devices together.
    I ask because for class i use the playbook but in my clinical rotations there is a simchart application i have to use for patient charting and its not compatible with the playbook only ios and windows.
    Being that they come preloaded with office im leaning towards the surface but wanted people's thoughts on the device and how it works with the z10.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 01:49 PM
    I'd get a windows laptop for work or school. Mobile devices or tablets(including the surface) are not for productivity.

A surface could suffice, but that's pushing it. It's not good for typing a lot of text.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 01:55 PM
    Starting school in two weeks and wanted some feedback from anyone using the two devices together.
    I ask because for class i use the playbook but in my clinical rotations there is a simchart application i have to use for patient charting and its not compatible with the playbook only ios and windows.
    Being that they come preloaded with office im leaning towards the surface but wanted people's thoughts on the device and how it works with the z10.

Posted via CB10
    Are you looking into the regular surface, or the surface pro?
    01-09-14 02:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hey alternator, I have both devices, but don't really use them together. I can run some trials if you like. I offer because I don't know the potential of having them play well together, but feel I can have some interesting things to play around with. What sorts of things are you looking to do?

In response to Andrew - I disagree. The surface tab comes with Office preloaded. That with the keyboard works pretty well for editing documents (hello OneNote) and spreadsheets. Obviously better for the go, and is no substitute for a desktop.
    01-09-14 02:05 PM
    I have a Surface 2 and a Dell XPS 12. The Surface 2 has become my daily driver. I use it for work and school (I'm going to law school and I work in at a law firm). The only time I use the Dell is when I have to use x86 programs at work (Adobe Acrobat, Access, etc). With the keyboard cover (I have a type cover 1) the Surface 2 is a great laptop replacement, assuming you don't have to run any x86 programs.

I'm assuming you're looking at a Surface 2 since you said the tablet comes preloaded with Office. If you are looking at a Pro, then you should have no problems syncing the Z10 with the Surface Pro via BlackBerry Link.

Since you can't run x86 applications on a Surface 2, you can't run BlackBerry Link on it. So, you'll need a work around if you want to sync info on you BlackBerry and the Surface 2. The Z10 has great Box and Dropbox integration, so that may be a way to share files between the devices. I don't know if there's a box or Dropbox app for the Surface, but you can access them from Internet Explorer, and the Surface 2 has a great file management system.

If you have a specific question about the Surface 2 and Z10, let me know and I can try to answer it. Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    rav16 and alternator77 like this.
    01-09-14 03:20 PM
    I guess i was looking at it from the standpoint of calendars and whether id be able to sync them up
    Also powerpoints and the ability to sync the notes i take on my z and playbook with the powerpoints on the surface itself.

Just wanted to know how well they playes together.
    I know it womt be as seamless as the bridge function .
    The surface is mainly for clinical rotations as notetaking will be handled by the pb..

Im going to try a demo run with a surface 2 before classes start to see how it goes wish me luck and thank for the responses.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 05:14 PM
    I have the Z10 & Surface with the touch pad. Hotspot works like a charm, but you'll probably use your school's wifi connection. I use the touch pad a lot for volume editing. I sometimes use a bluetooth mouse with the Surface as well. You might want to check if your app will run on the Surface. Oh, the Surface also comes with the standard Office apps (no MS Access).

In a pinch, Z10 & Surface works well together.
    01-09-14 05:37 PM
    Depending on how your email is set up, the Surface 2 and Z10 should sync calendar, contacts, etc seamlessly and OTA. I have no problems keeping my live.com calendar and contacts synced between my Surface and Z10. I do this without having to connect the Z10 to the Surface. My school account is an exchange account, but I don't use it for contacts or calendars (I do all of that from my live account) so I don't know how well that would work with my Z10.

In terms of note taking, One Note is an awesome program that is part of Office 2013. I take all of my school notes on that. Only problem for you is that Docs to Go won't work with One Note notebooks. A possible workaround for you could be to take notes in Word and upload notes to Box or Dropbox if you want to have the ability to view them in your Z10.

IMHO, the Surface 2 is what the PB should have been. Great work tablet that can replace a laptop while still handling media consumption and gaming well.

Good luck and let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 06:09 PM