In the phone app you have 3 tabs at the bottom, Calls/Contacts/Dial Pad. The only way you can add a contact is by (not going to Contacts) but by going to the Dial Pad. Now you'd think all you have to do to add a contact is enter the number and hit the + sign, but that's not quite! After you enter the number and press + you're taken to the contacts list. For what may I ask?! You've already entered the number which you want to save! BlackBerry should really make sure to get the most basic things right first time round or at least within the first few updates.
    04-17-13 11:22 AM
    So you want to enter a number yet you don't want to edit the contact's name. Makes sense.
    Andrew4life, SDTRMG and CDM76 like this.
    04-17-13 11:29 AM
    What jdhooghe said /\
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-17-13 11:32 AM
    Now you'd think all you have to do to add a contact is enter the number and hit the + sign, but that's not quite! After you enter the number and press + you're taken to the contacts list. For what may I ask?! You've already entered the number which you want to save! BlackBerry should really make sure to get the most basic things right first time round or at least within the first few updates.
    I think they did it right..........

Enter your number .... dial it / make the call............. now end call.

Now .......... look at your calls ...........select the number >>>>> Add to Contacts >>>> New (at bottom of screen)

They did exactly what you are asking for ........ they just did from the post phone call side (which is the way it should be done in my mind).

Anyway ....... it works the way it seems it should to me.
    djmm2 likes this.
    04-17-13 11:38 AM
    Actually it is done well just not to what you expect. If you dial a number then hit + it will take you to the contact list. You can either add to existing contact or create new contact (lower button)

Z10 STL100-2
    04-17-13 11:43 AM
    Not many people can build rockets and fewer can fly them

Send by my Sexy Z10 via CB
    jamesharmeling and BB_Junky like this.
    04-17-13 11:45 AM

Now .......... look at your calls ...........select the number >>>>> Add to Contacts >>>> New (at bottom of screen)

They did exactly what you are asking for ........ they just did from the post phone call side (which is the way it should be done in my mind).

Agreed - it prevents miss entered phone numbers by making sure that is the correct number for the contact you want to add. If one doesn't want to call first, go to contacts app and add it. All about choice IMHO.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-17-13 11:47 AM
    So, you don't need to add a name to go with the number for future reference? My memory isn't that good. I need names too.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:51 AM
    Maybe the thread tittle should be changed to
    "I didn't know how to add a contact, but now I do"

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 12:08 PM
    jdhooghe Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. You do get to enter the contact name, but that's not the next step after hitting the +. You're taken to your contact list in case you want to add the number to an existing contact, as erniel pointed out. Hmm, how many times out of 100 have you added a phone number to an "existing contact" through the DIAL PAD - not many right? When you want to save something from the dial pad, you're normally looking to add a new contact from scratch.
    Last edited by jaygere; 04-17-13 at 01:54 PM.
    04-17-13 01:34 PM

Hmm, I respect that this is the "way it should be done" in your mind but really duckduke, all that hassle to add a contact? You mean to literally dial the contact and then go back to call log and save it from there? That's total ad hoc! It's not the proper way to add a contact. It's just a way around.
    04-17-13 01:41 PM
    Actually it is done well just not to what you expect. If you dial a number then hit + it will take you to the contact list. You can either add to existing contact or create new contact (lower button)

Z10 STL100-2
    erniel, how many times does a person add a phone number to an "existing contact"? When people save a number through the dial pad, they are looking to add a new contact FROM FRESH 99.99%, not add to an "existing contact". When people want to add something to an "existing contact" they NORMALLY GO TO THE CONTACTS APP, SEARCH FOR THE CONTACT NAME, HIT EDIT AND THEN ADD THE NUMBER TO THAT CONTACT. They don't go wanting to add a phone number to an existing contact from the dial pad, sorry erniel.
    04-17-13 01:52 PM
    So, you don't need to add a name to go with the number for future reference? My memory isn't that good. I need names too.

Posted via CB10
    Your intelligence isn't too good either! Of course I'll want to add a contact name. That's obviously what I'd want to do, but it's not the next step to come in and it's why I say the system is flawed. A contact list is what comes in next in case you want to add the number to an existing contact. When I want to save something from the dial pad, 99 times out 100 it's a new contact from scratch. And this applies to everyone, even to you. When someone wants to add a phone number to an existing contact, you'd normally go to the Contacts app and edit it there, not do it through the dial pad.
    04-17-13 01:58 PM
    not necessarily you may have a contact whos info changes or they have more than one access numbers say a work or a home number they call you from their cell number. But if you want to add a totally new contact just go to contacts and hit add contacts. it lets you fill out everything you need for the contact
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-17-13 02:03 PM
    why would you go to dialpad to add a new contact btw.. That seems weird
    04-17-13 02:04 PM
    I went to dial pad. Entered a number. Hit the plus next to it. It took me to my existing contacts. At the bottom on the menu bar is the option new. I hit that and it gave a new contact with the number from the dial pad already entered.
    It does exactly what you ask already.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 02:04 PM
    erniel, how many times does a person add a phone number to an "existing contact"? When people save a number through the dial pad, they are looking to add a new contact FROM FRESH 99.99%, not add to an "existing contact". When people want to add something to an "existing contact" they NORMALLY GO TO THE CONTACTS APP, SEARCH FOR THE CONTACT NAME, HIT EDIT AND THEN ADD THE NUMBER TO THAT CONTACT. They don't go wanting to add a phone number to an existing contact from the dial pad, sorry erniel.
    You clearly missed where he said it gives the option to add as a new contact, the phone does exactly what he want

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 02:06 PM
    Am I missing something? Can't you just go to the contacts app and hit the add contact button? Or just long hold a number that's already called you in the phone app and save from there? Seems pretty straight forward to me. I see what your saying that saving from the call log takes you to contacts first, which is what it should do, on case you want to add to an existing contact. If not, hit new, and the number you want to save is already there just waiting for you to add a name.
    Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 02:07 PM
    I went to dial pad. Entered a number. Hit the plus next to it. It took me to my existing contacts. At the bottom on the menu bar is the option new. I hit that and it gave a new contact with the number from the dial pad already entered.
    It does exactly what you ask already.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, EVENTUALLY. But when people add a contact through the dial pad, they are normally looking to add something new each time, not add to an existing contact. Therefore, after entering in the number on the dial pad and hitting + people should be taken straight to "add new".

When people want to add a number to an existing contact, they almost always do it by going to Contacts and editing the contact they want to add the number to. Saving from the dial pad virtually means "new".
    04-17-13 02:11 PM
    Your intelligence isn't too good either! Of course I'll want to add a contact name. That's obviously what I'd want to do, but it's not the next step to come in and it's why I say the system is flawed. A contact list is what comes in next in case you want to add the number to an existing contact. When I want to save something from the dial pad, 99 times out 100 it's a new contact from scratch. And this applies to everyone, even to you. When someone wants to add a phone number to an existing contact, you'd normally go to the Contacts app and edit it there, not do it through the dial pad.
    Why would I want to do that when I can add it straight from my call log? If I'm adding to an existing contact I don't want to exit one app and open another. Disturbs the FLOW lol

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 02:13 PM
    Yes, EVENTUALLY. But when people add a contact through the dial pad, they are normally looking to add something new each time, not add to an existing contact. Therefore, after entering in the number on the dial pad and hitting + people should be taken straight to "add new".

When people want to add a number to an existing contact, they almost always do it by going to Contacts and editing the contact they want to add the number to. Saving from the dial pad virtually means "new".
    Some people may be. I update my contacts through dial pad more then I add new contacts. But this is not a big issue, it is literally one step difference.
    I have always updated and added to my contacts using the dial pad and never had any issues since my curve 8520.
    I hope that you can see past the extra step, but I wouldn't call this flawed

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-17-13 02:17 PM
    Why would I want to do that when I can add it straight from my call log? If I'm adding to an existing contact I don't want to exit one app and open another. Disturbs the FLOW lol

Posted via CB10
    From call log, it's fine mtitiz34, I agree that giving you the option to add to an existing contact should be given. I'm talking about the Dial Pad. When you enter a number on the dial pad and hit + you shouldn't be given that option, and is what in my opinion disturbs the flow.
    04-17-13 02:19 PM
    Some people may be. I update my contacts through dial pad more then I add new contacts. But this is not a big issue, it is literally one step difference.
    I have always updated and added to my contacts using the dial pad and never had any issues since my curve 8520.
    I hope that you can see past the extra step, but I wouldn't call this flawed

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you here. This issue was actually pointed out to me by a friend of mine who has an Android and I defended my Z10 like all of you are right now but then a few days a later I did realize "hey it seems we do have a slight problem here". I know it's just a one step difference, but in my mind, it's irritating.

So maybe the system isn't flawed after all. It's just a different approach. However I still don't like the approach because the vast majority of users, besides you, don't "do it" this way.
    04-17-13 02:27 PM

Z10 STL100-2
    I'm okay with this. It basically takes you into the Contacts app and puts the number into an existing or new contact. Why would Blackberry design a second interface for putting a phone number into a contact?

Posted via CB10
    jdhooghe likes this.
    04-17-13 02:30 PM
    I agree with you here. This issue was actually pointed out to me by a friend of mine who has an Android and I defended my Z10 like all of you are right now but then a few days a later I did realize "hey it seems we do have a slight problem here". I know it's just a one step difference, but in my mind, it's irritating.

So maybe the system isn't flawed after all. It's just a different approach. However I still don't like the approach because the vast majority of users, besides you, don't "do it" this way.
    Right. It isn't flawed. It just doesn't do what you want. Do you have any evidence for the claim, "vast majority of users, besides you, don't "do it" this way"?
    04-17-13 02:33 PM
39 12