For the past 9 days the speaker on my Z10 hasn't worked, for the most part. I've restarted, installed a few different is versions including official release, and nothing brings it back. It was working for a few days after installing 10.3.1.632, but now it's completely out.

It started the Sunday before last, sound was intermittent while steaming a video, so I at first assumed it was the stream or the video itself. After that, there was no sound - no calls, no notifications, no speakerphone, no keyboard clicks. If I played a video, it would play silently; if I used headphones I would get a quick squawk of sound as the video started to play but then paused. At the time I had 10.3.0.1154 installed, after installing 10.3.1.632 I thought I still had an issue,but turns out the sound was all the way down. Once I fixed that, I had almost 4 days with no problem until this past Sunday when I was again streaming video and it repeated the events of a week before. But this time, I can't get the sound back no matter what OS I put on, and this time there's no problem with headphones. BBVE doesn't really tell me anything, plus all this time I get a LED blink pattern after wiping the Z10 - two blinks, then a pause. Not sure what that means since I can't find proper documentation but I have a feeling it's related.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.1.632, no sound still.

Edit: there was also the day I let the battery drain to shutdown, and sound was working for a while when it turned back on.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 12:28 PM
    Try installing the official OS and see if that fixes things???
    10-07-14 02:11 PM
    Try installing the official OS and see if that fixes things???
    Had that on all day yesterday - about 8pm I got 3-ish minutes of sound on a video and then it was gone again.
    10-07-14 03:12 PM
    It might unfortunately be an intermittent hardware failure?? Warranty or insurance?
    10-07-14 04:58 PM
    It might unfortunately be an intermittent hardware failure?? Warranty or insurance?
    I'm in denial about it being hardware until proven lol

And that's mainly because of it working again after the battery died, and again with 10.3.1 on, plus the headphones being affected that first day. I'm out of the manufacturer's warranty but I have insurance through Verizon/Asurion; I dread going that route because they can't guarantee I'll get another white Z10 or in the same condition as the one I originally bought. Their track record for good replacements is poor where I'm concerned.
    10-07-14 05:36 PM
    I'm in denial about it being hardware until proven lol

And that's mainly because of it working again after the battery died, and again with 10.3.1 on, plus the headphones being affected that first day. I'm out of the manufacturer's warranty but I have insurance through Verizon/Asurion; I dread going that route because they can't guarantee I'll get another white Z10 or in the same condition as the one I originally bought. Their track record for good replacements is poor where I'm concerned.
    Oh, I don't want to hear that about Verizon/Insurance since that's my coverage, too.

Well, the intermittent part is the issue. I can see that if some circuit heats up using the speaker(s), that it could open a small crack in solder or connection possibly. Otherwise you'd think it would either work or NOT. Some folks have pressed inside the battery compartment, I think, near the bottom where the speaker connection is located.

Have you tried BBVE

Download Blackberry Virtual Expert (it may be included in newer versions of the OS). It contains a series of tests for speakers/headphones.
    10-07-14 06:30 PM
    Oh, I don't want to hear that about Verizon/Insurance since that's my coverage, too.

Well, the intermittent part is the issue. I can see that if some circuit heats up using the speaker(s), that it could open a small crack in solder or connection possibly. Otherwise you'd think it would either work or NOT. Some folks have pressed inside the battery compartment, I think, near the bottom where the speaker connection is located.

Have you tried BBVE

Download Blackberry Virtual Expert (it may be included in newer versions of the OS). It contains a series of tests for speakers/headphones.
    Used twice, six out of of eight failed.
    10-08-14 03:25 AM
    I set an alarm to take our daughter out to catch the lunar eclipse, and it went off, with subsequent snoozes too. I'd set it and hit the test button just to see if it would make noise, and it didn't; so I was just going to let it vibrate on the nightstand. But I got sound with it when it went off. I really don't get it - it sure sounds like software, but why would it persist across multiple OS versions and survive many security wipes? I've even used SIC multiwipe and that didn't fix it.
    10-08-14 05:12 AM
    I set an alarm to take our daughter out to catch the lunar eclipse, and it went off, with subsequent snoozes too. I'd set it and hit the test button just to see if it would make noise, and it didn't; so I was just going to let it vibrate on the nightstand. But I got sound with it when it went off. I really don't get it - it sure sounds like software, but why would it persist across multiple OS versions and survive many security wipes? I've even used SIC multiwipe and that didn't fix it.
    I have no idea but the SIC wipe should really have zapped everything. Are you restoring settings/etc? Restoration might be "unfixing" things?

As for insurance, I'll just have to take care of my unit, although I'm paying for PROTECTION.
    10-08-14 10:18 AM
    I have no idea but the SIC wipe should really have zapped everything. Are you restoring settings/etc? Restoration might be "unfixing" things?

As for insurance, I'll just have to take care of my unit, although I'm paying for PROTECTION.
    I restored yesterday morning, I figured since I'm out of ideas I can at least enjoy my Z10 as normal as possible. So it's working again after that restore operation, yet failed when I had it at factory default. It's worth noting that the settings are relatively new - when I installed 10.3.1.632 last Thursday I only restored app data but redid all the settings, and got audio back working again for that brief period. So yesterday's restore included Settings barely a week old. It's also worth noting that Verizon suggested the same thing you did with pressing around the speaker - that got zero results when I did it Monday while on the phone. Last night though, I pressed around the speaker again while applying pressure and twisting the frame a bit - it didn't seem to work at first since I had a silent alarm when I set it, but the alarm was very audible, and I've had sounds since then. I haven't tried media since that's what was going on when I lost sound both times. Not that I have any local media to play since I failed to remember to remove SD card encryption before wiping. Oops.
    10-08-14 12:06 PM
    Well, you are taking your "lost" sd card data in stride, at least. Sorry about that. I generally don't keep any "secret" info on the card so encryption seems unnecessary.
    10-08-14 12:30 PM
    I usually have media autoupload to Box, copying of new files to PC via RFA, and make weekly backups in addition to transferring all data to storage before installing new OS's. I'm only out 6 photos with this slip-up because I didn't set up any cloud storage and RFA wasn't working this week, so I'll take that as a slap on the wrist to not forget again. And I encrypt mainly because it's my data, and I don't like sharing. If I can't have it, no one can. Unless you work for it, but I have nothing anyone would work that hard to get. Encrypting a media card for sensitive/secret data is not the way to go if you want to protect it imho - put it on device storage where it'll get wiped when the password is incorrectly entered X times and triggers the security wipe, or don't put it on a mobile device in the first place.

So since it now appears it's a hardware fault, or possible combination of software/hardware, I'm looking into Verizon's Edge program. Looking at the pros and cons of signing up with and dropping the monthly insurance, since it's $8/month + tax and there's a deductible for replacing a defective device out of warranty - cost unknown, rep didn't mention it and I don't have documentation handy. My problem with replacements isn't the service people involved, it's the devices themselves - I had to send 5 Storm 9550's back because they had the same problem as the one I was sending in, and I sent back a 9930 because the screen color was so yellowed I wondered if it had been owned by a smoker who not only exhaled directly on it, but kept it suspended over a lit cigarette when not in use. As a former smoker myself, I was so impressed I sent it back and kept my own. The problem with my original 9930 was actually a bad battery, but Verizon wanted me to try a different 9930 with that battery just to be sure. All those, though, fell under the manufacturer's warranty and were free; Z10 is the first device I've had that developed a problem after the manufacturer's warranty ended. So no, I'm really not in the mood to get a device that might be different (I have a white Z10) and/or sub-standard quality to what I currently possess. Which is why I started this thread, hoping that it was software and could be corrected without getting Verizon/Asurion involved, even though the reps have always been outstanding - they just can't guarantee what actually gets sent out, and I'm rather fond of my Z10.
    10-08-14 01:51 PM
    Good luck
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-08-14 03:43 PM