It's about a week with my Z10, and I am loving it. I feel like a power user, and since very few around me even have an i5, I can't help but feel superior to everyone around me! :P
    There's all good about this OS, and though few things I would want are missing, its still a solid first offering BB has made.

Things I loved:
    1. Gestures based unlocking and moving between apps and things.
    2. Asphalt7. Free.
    3. Active Frames
    4. App Icons and Grouping of the same (And the "Action starts here" star that is on each App/Group when it has an activity).
    5. Hub.
    6. New App World.
    7. Time Shift Mode.
    8. How can I forget the browsing experience. It's as good as a desktop (or may be even better) :P
    9. Calendar (much better than the legacy OS Calendar)
    10. Typing Experience (I like it, but I am still getting used to it)

Model: STL100-1;
    Software: 10.0.10.82

Now I would like to know a few things about the new experience:
    1. Is sideloading Android Apps still safe and won't be any harm in long run?
    Haha, its official! :P Though still in Development! I didnt know that when I posted.

2. When I play Asphalt7, the phone gets too hot, especially the battery. Is it still safe to continue playing? Any idea why so?

It is normal for the phone to get hot while playing games, and it is safe to continue (if the phone gets too hot, you'll know, because it will automatically restart, which shouldn't happen).
    It seems the game can drain more energy than what my adapter can charge when I play simultaneous to charging the phone!
    -> That's probably because I was using a legacy charger.

3. In the safety guide, they said the phone shouldn't be exposed to temperatures higher than 35 Degree Celsius. Well, here in India, 35 is the normal temperature for which there could be + or - during the Summer. What, should I sit in Air conditioned room all the time?

You can use it in temperatures above 25. That's just a caution for the batteries. If you use it at those temperatures frequently, your battery life will diminish faster (this is true for all batteries), so consider yourself lucky that this phone has a removable battery that you can replace in the future
    4. Songza App - App world says its unavailable for my device. Is it limited to STL100-2 ?

5. I did not know if Password Keeper was a native app to Z10 or not (its not! ) . I did switch devices and erased my old device. I still have the .ipd files. Is there anyway to retrieve the passwords?
    Password keeper has an import option for previous passwords. if no luck, BB protect used to backup those as well! you can try that route.
    Yes, that's correct. Even if Password Keeper wasn't previously installed on your phone, the passwords do come into the device during the Device Switch!

6. Would BB10 ever allow tweaks as we have in iOS? With tweaks and tricks, we could customize gestures reactions, I guess.
    6. Likely not. The whole point of BB10 is that it is very very secure. You likely won't be able to "root" or "jailbreak" it, but you also won't have malware (unless you install a lot of ports) or lockscreen bypasses (like on the iPhone)
    7. There are different kinds of permissions an App can ask for. What should we know about allowing them for any app? Some apps don't even give the option to disallow an access feature.

Permissions for apps (read this post for more information Explaining BlackBerry 10 Application Permissions | CrackBerry.com)
    7. You always have the options to review those permissions in the phone's settings menu. You can change them at any time. You should know that Android ports will require a lot of permissions, and those cannot be turned off (because on Android, you can't turn off permissions once you install an app). Anyways, I think people are overly protective, and you should be fine just leaving them on as long as you download apps by trusted developers. I personally haven't turned off a single permission, but I like that the ability is there should I choose to do so (my last phone was an Android).
    8. It seems, you need a minimum of 1 App on each page in order for it to exist. Is it possible to an extra page in my Apps Screen with no App icons?
    8. No, that is currently not possible, though there is a "bug" where you sometimes get an extra page at the very end of your home screens with nothing on it. Not sure how to reproduce it, but I have had it happen a few times.
    9. Is it possible to hide/unhide some app icons like in Legacy BBOS?
    Hide/unhide is not an option anymore (however, you can download an app for that called "hide my pictures")
    9. No, it isn't. Might become available in the future though...
    10. I can't seem to find the setting to set the preferences of using WiFi over Mobile Network (or Mobile Network only), etc.
    10. The phone will *always* default to wifi over the mobile network. That's how it works on iOS, Android, and WP as well.
    11. I haven't been able to make a BBM Video Call to any of the 3 contacts in my Video Contact lists. The icon to make a video call doesn't show up at all, even when my friend is on WiFi. Even on the FaceFlow App, the Call icon is always disabled. What could be the reason?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-issue-769431/
    That thread discusses the BBM Video Calling Issue.

12. Is there no way to integrate WhatsApp in Hub like Gtalk, BBM, etc?
    Whatsapp is integrated into the hub, but not as well as Gmail. For example, if you click a Whatsapp notification in the hub, it'll open in the hub. No need to have the app in active frames
    13. Where is the option to set the number of days we want to keep emails? Is it fixed 30 days - no more no less?
    13. The 30 day limit is something that has already been confirmed by BB to be extended/removed in a future update. I thought you could do less than 30, but I just tried looking for the option, and I can't find it...
    14. When the screen is locked, there's a Camera icon on bottom-right. But nothing happens when I tap it. What is it for?
    On the lock screen, regarding the camera icon --> you have to touch and hold it (you will see a circle forming around the icon, once at 100% it will open the camera app)
    15. On my Calendar App, I wanna add a Google Calendar. I only have the URL of ICS file it exports. How do I add it? I synced an email which has this calendar, but only Email's private calendar synced, not the ones that were added.
    Its possible by doing this:
    Go here: https://www.google.com/calendar/syncselect
    Enable all the shared calendars you want.
    Go to your calendar app and refresh the calendars!
    The shared calendars (which are read only) will appear!

16. Can the old (Earlier, I had Curve 9300 3G) BB Charging Adapters still charge Z10 harmlessly?
    Older chargers may not charge the new Z10 (as their ratings are lower than required for the Z10). The new stock charger is 750mA. The PB charger does work (acts as a rapid charger in a sense and word is that the rapid charger for the Z10 would be same specs as the PB charger except different name!)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...argers-773502/ (refer to this post for more info)
    Well, in the same link above, it says, it doesn't harm, just charges slower. Kevin replies on it. (y)

17. How do you create Contact Groups? I have to have several groups for sending out SMS (yeah, old school I know :P, but as I said, very few people around me, still have high-end phones).
    17. Sadly, no contact groups yet. Hopefully in a future update though...
    18. Any way to find the equalizer for the native music app?
    Regarding the equalizer for the music player --> There isn't one.
    18. I don't think it has one, but generally, you shouldn't use phone equalizers as they decrease battery life, and also distort the audio quality. In any case, many people have said good things about "Neutron Music Player" in BB World, so you could give that a try if you really want equalizers (check to make sure, but I believe it has them).
    19. In Adobe Reader, how do you select text in a PDF? Is there a way to bookmark a particular page in a PDF using the native Adobe Reader App?
    19. Click and hold over text to select it. If you have the latest update to the Adobe Reader app, you should also be able to bookmark pages, but I can't seem to find the option. Hopefully someone else can figure that out...
    20. How do I create my own Sound Profile?
    customized profiles are not available for now... (as they were in the legacy OS)
    20. As I said, my previous phone was an Android, but apparently, some of the sound profile features have not been implemented in the OS yet. Remember that this is a complete rewrite, so it isn't so much that they took features out as it is that they haven't implemented them back into the new OS just yet
    Not sure if this is still the right place to be asking for WhatsApp, but if you would know:
    1. Can you delete a single message in a chat? You could do that in WhatsApp of OS5.
    - you can do this in the new Whatsapp update.
    2. I don't want images to be downloaded and Autosaved. How should I disable it?
    3. Notifications come up in Hub when a message is received on the Group, but nothing on the private chats. Is there a way to change this?
    - This too, happens in the new Whatsapp Update!

BB10:Z10 is a whole new world and I do waste a lot of time tinkering around with it. I wish I hadn't purchased it right now... I have got to study for my exams
    Last edited by niravzaveri; 04-05-13 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Updated questions with their answers.
    toutounjiomar and diegonei like this.
    04-02-13 02:26 AM
    Some help here is really appreciated.
    Bumping the topic lost in the BB10 Craziness! :P
    04-03-13 05:40 AM
    That's a lot of questions, but I just think you need to take it easy with some of them. For example, it is normal for the phone to get hot while playing games, and it is safe to continue (if the phone gets too hot, you'll know, because it will automatically restart, which shouldn't happen). Also, you can use it in temperatures above 25. That's just a caution for the batteries. If you use it at those temperatures frequently, your battery life will diminish faster (this is true for all batteries), so consider yourself lucky that this phone has a removable battery that you can replace in the future
    niravzaveri likes this.
    04-03-13 05:47 AM
    Oh, as for password keeper, it is a native app. It's available in BB World. It should automatically repopulate the password list from your old device. I didn't have a Blackberry before, so I wouldn't know, but that's what other users have said.
    04-03-13 05:48 AM
    Whatsapp is integrated into the hub, but not as well as Gmail. For example, if you click a Whatsapp notification in the hub, it'll open in the hub. No need to have the app in active frames
    niravzaveri likes this.
    04-03-13 05:49 AM
    That's a lot of questions, but I just think you need to take it easy with some of them. For example, it is normal for the phone to get hot while playing games, and it is safe to continue (if the phone gets too hot, you'll know, because it will automatically restart, which shouldn't happen). Also, you can use it in temperatures above 25. That's just a caution for the batteries. If you use it at those temperatures frequently, your battery life will diminish faster (this is true for all batteries), so consider yourself lucky that this phone has a removable battery that you can replace in the future
    Well, for that matter, am glad really that we have removable batteries here on Z10! But 35 Degrees is too less for India. There's little that can be here though! :P
    Ah yes, I tried to put in all the questions in one go, instead of posting a separate thread for each question, which would then get difficult to follow.
    04-03-13 05:53 AM
    customized profiles are not available for now... (as they were in the legacy OS)

Hide/unhide is not an option anymore (however, you can download an app for that called "hide my pictures")

On the lock screen, regarding the camera icon --> you have to touch and hold it (you will see a circle forming around the icon, once at 100% it will open the camera app)
    niravzaveri likes this.
    04-03-13 05:55 AM
    As for the asphalt 7 it is not free on my own z10 it is 3.50 the last time I checked

Posted via CB10
    I did download for free. I haven't purchased a single app so far, and Asphalt 7 is on my phone. Even at this moment, it comes for free when I see it on Blackberry World.
    I remember there was a blog post on CB too about Asphalt 7 having reached Blackberry World, free for the time-being.

Oh, as for password keeper, it is a native app. It's available in BB World. It should automatically repopulate the password list from your old device. I didn't have a Blackberry before, so I wouldn't know, but that's what other users have said.
    No, it doesn't. I did that already
    I am sorry, I overlooked the Import Option.
    While I don't have the older device now, the passwords did come into my phone during Device Switch, and correctly following the import procedure (which is nothing but putting in the last device password) gave me back all the older passwords! Well, that's a great relief!
    Last edited by niravzaveri; 04-03-13 at 06:07 AM.
    04-03-13 05:55 AM
    Well, for that matter, am glad really that we have removable batteries here on Z10! But 35 Degrees is too less for India. There's little that can be here though! :P
    Ah yes, I tried to put in all the questions in one go, instead of posting a separate thread for each question, which would then get difficult to follow.
    I just looked it up, and 35c is 95f. That's normal? Too hot! You know what, I'm just gonna try to answer all your questions before I get off CB. Give me a minute :P

P.S. thanks for adding the replies in the OP for other users to see. Hopefully people viewing this topic will benefit from it
    niravzaveri likes this.
    04-03-13 05:57 AM
    mobile network and wifi --> the device will default to wifi as preferred connection when wifi is available. When wifi is not available only then it will go through your network...

Permissions for apps (read this post for more information Explaining BlackBerry 10 Application Permissions | CrackBerry.com)
    niravzaveri likes this.
    04-03-13 05:58 AM
    I did download for free. I haven't purchased a single app so far, and Asphalt 7 is on my phone. Even at this moment, it comes for free when I see it on Blackberry World.
    I remember there was a blog post on CB too about Asphalt 7 having reached Blackberry World, free for the time-being.

No, it doesn't. I did that already
    Password keeper has an import option for previous passwords. if no luck, BB protect used to backup those as well! you can try that route.
    niravzaveri likes this.
    04-03-13 06:00 AM
    Older chargers may not charge the new Z10 (as their ratings are lower than required for the Z10). The new stock charger is 750mA. The PB charger does work (acts as a rapid charger in a sense and word is that the rapid charger for the Z10 would be same specs as the PB charger except different name!)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...argers-773502/ (refer to this post for more info)
    04-03-13 06:02 AM
    Regarding BBM video/voice calls there is an option to allow via network and wifi or wifi only (if i recall correctly). Selecting through the network will help as in the event that they are not in a wifi zone, the icon would be greyed out.

It is wifi only by default (as is legacy OS BBs)
    04-03-13 06:05 AM
    Oh yes, you are right. I didn't even see that!
    04-03-13 06:06 AM
    Songza is available for the Z10 in app world. here's the link (It is not limited to the model of the Z10) http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...countrycode=CA
    Last edited by Cap_172R; 04-03-13 at 06:49 AM.
    04-03-13 06:11 AM
    mobile network and wifi --> the device will default to wifi as preferred connection when wifi is available. When wifi is not available only then it will go through your network...
    while that may be right, I do remember a post on CB about someone on Telus network having billed for 1 GB usage overnight (even during Wifi range).
    I wanted to see the settings if available, to ensure that has nothing to do with any configurations which I might miss out.
    04-03-13 06:11 AM
    while that may be right, I do remember a post on CB about someone on Telus network having billed for 1 GB usage overnight (even during Wifi range).
    I wanted to see the settings if available, to ensure that has nothing to do with any configurations which I might miss out.
    No as far as i know, it's done by default (for instance, my account app for rogers only works via the network...and i have to disconnect from wifi to access the app, that is, so it would go through the mobile network)

some users that would experience high data usage would be due to some odd occurrence and is not a widespread issue. e.g. an email being sent over and over continuously (the manner in which the account was setup etc etc)
    niravzaveri likes this.
    04-03-13 06:16 AM
    4. Actually, I think either your location or OS version have more to do with it. Your OS is fairly outdated. Your carrier should hopefully push out an update soon! As for location, I have no idea whether or not Songza is available in India - it might not be?

6. Likely not. The whole point of BB10 is that it is very very secure. You likely won't be able to "root" or "jailbreak" it, but you also won't have malware (unless you install a lot of ports) or lockscreen bypasses (like on the iPhone)

7. You always have the options to review those permissions in the phone's settings menu. You can change them at any time. You should know that Android ports will require a lot of permissions, and those cannot be turned off (because on Android, you can't turn off permissions once you install an app). Anyways, I think people are overly protective, and you should be fine just leaving them on as long as you download apps by trusted developers. I personally haven't turned off a single permission, but I like that the ability is there should I choose to do so (my last phone was an Android).

8. No, that is currently not possible, though there is a "bug" where you sometimes get an extra page at the very end of your home screens with nothing on it. Not sure how to reproduce it, but I have had it happen a few times.

9. No, it isn't. Might become available in the future though...

10. The phone will *always* default to wifi over the mobile network. That's how it works on iOS, Android, and WP as well.

11. Not sure about the Faceflow icon, but have you tried getting those contacts to call you? I've had no issues with BBM Video myself, but I've heard that some carriers have blocked it when not on wifi, so maybe try doing it over wifi?

12. I answered this earlier

13. The 30 day limit is something that has already been confirmed by BB to be extended/removed in a future update. I thought you could do less than 30, but I just tried looking for the option, and I can't find it...

14. Tap and hold, you'll see a circle fill up for about 2 seconds. When it's done, release the camera button, and you'll be in the camera

15. Sadly, you can't use shared calendars just yet, only private Google calendars for now.

16. Honestly, I wouldn't do it. Some will say yes, some will say no, but I just wouldn't risk it.

17. Sadly, no contact groups yet. Hopefully in a future update though...

18. I don't think it has one, but generally, you shouldn't use phone equalizers as they decrease battery life, and also distort the audio quality. In any case, many people have said good things about "Neutron Music Player" in BB World, so you could give that a try if you really want equalizers (check to make sure, but I believe it has them).

19. Click and hold over text to select it. If you have the latest update to the Adobe Reader app, you should also be able to bookmark pages, but I can't seem to find the option. Hopefully someone else can figure that out...

20. As I said, my previous phone was an Android, but apparently, some of the sound profile features have not been implemented in the OS yet. Remember that this is a complete rewrite, so it isn't so much that they took features out as it is that they haven't implemented them back into the new OS just yet

I hope this helps
    Cap_172R and niravzaveri like this.
    04-03-13 06:18 AM
    Regarding the equalizer for the music player --> There isn't one.
    04-03-13 06:20 AM
    Regarding BBM video/voice calls there is an option to allow via network and wifi or wifi only (if i recall correctly). Selecting through the network will help as in the event that they are not in a wifi zone, the icon would be greyed out.

It is wifi only by default (as is legacy OS BBs)
    Nope, the icon just doesn't appear anywhere in the chat screen of the contact...! The contact doesn't come in the Video Contacts list, even though that person is the one who initially told me about Video Chat.
    04-03-13 06:21 AM
    Nope, the icon just doesn't appear anywhere in the chat screen of the contact...! The contact doesn't come in the Video Contacts list, even though that person is the one who initially told me about Video Chat.
    Not sure of the reason, but it does work for me atleast. A buddy of mine is only able to call when he's in wifi area. Used my gf's PB to call my Z10 and it worked...

A few users reported this being hit or miss... i'm not 100% sure the cause of this. It would be software related, hopefully in a future update it will fix this across the board.
    04-03-13 06:30 AM
    Not sure of the reason, but it does work for me atleast. A buddy of mine is only able to call when he's in wifi area. Used my gf's PB to call my Z10 and it worked...

A few users reported this being hit or miss... i'm not 100% sure the cause of this. It would be software related, hopefully in a future update it will fix this across the board.
    11. Not sure about the Faceflow icon, but have you tried getting those contacts to call you? I've had no issues with BBM Video myself, but I've heard that some carriers have blocked it when not on wifi, so maybe try doing it over wifi?
    I think I'll have to do some more tinkering over about this...

4. Actually, I think either your location or OS version have more to do with it. Your OS is fairly outdated. Your carrier should hopefully push out an update soon! As for location, I have no idea whether or not Songza is available in India - it might not be?
    Well, this OS I am using is the same as the Recent OS Upgrade we received which did Low light camera fixes, battery optimizations. It's just that the number is not the same for all countries/carriers. Well, Songza is not something that I would die for to have it, I just wanted to try out since it made to CB Top Apps List
    As did so many others, which are not available on my BBWorld.
    Will wait to get more updates on this!
    04-03-13 06:47 AM
    Thanks for including the answers in your Original Post!! Really helpful!!

Im still asking myself: To port or not to port?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 06:54 AM

Im still asking myself: To port or not to port?

Posted via CB10
    There's not much harm in porting as I have seen. I have ported more than a 50 apps (some worked and some didn't). But I haven't had any issues. Simply deleted the ones that didn't work and still using the ones that did work.

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/bpaa/

Since its official, it can't really harm unless you port malwares to your phone I guess :P
    04-03-13 07:03 AM
    Thanks!! I was worried since on the playbook it caused me a little trouble! But yes, you can always delete. OK, let's do it now!

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 08:04 PM
27 12