So I was cooling my battery down via an ac vent when I noticed the wrapper on my battery was a little more bubbled out than the rest of the battery. Keep in mind that as of the time I'm sending this, I've never experienced a random reboot, but what I'm saying is going to click and hopefully make sense.

I got home and pulled out the calipers to do some measuring, and this is what I found.

Yet another theory about random reboots-img_00000503.jpg

What this is telling me is that there is enough of a gap, that if this battery were to expand and shrink, even just a little, it could cause the 1 or more of the 4 contacts be just out of reach for even a split second, causing a lack of power, thus causing the reboot.

My solution is going to be a relatively easy and cheap one.

Remove your battery cover and push upward on the battery, toward the camera lens, and wedge a small strip of paper or cardboard, just enough to ensure total contact with the 4 pins.

Again, this is ONLY A THEORY and will need someone to test it, as I've yet to have a reboot, but what I'm saying makes sense to me and my brother.

I've seen many threads with ideas on the cause, but nobody comes up with any attempt at a solution. I'm also willing to try someone's battery that is having reboots. I would flux and solder conductive shims on the battery contacts and put it in my phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:35 PM
    So I was cooling my battery down via an ac vent when I noticed the wrapper on my battery was a little more bubbled out than the rest of the battery. Keep in mind that as of the time I'm sending this, I've never experienced a random reboot, but what I'm saying is going to click and hopefully make sense.

I got home and pulled out the calipers to do some measuring, and this is what I found.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000503.jpg 
Views:	2663 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	163919

What this is telling me is that there is enough of a gap, that if this battery were to expand and shrink, even just a little, it could cause the 1 or more of the 4 contacts be just out of reach for even a split second, causing a lack of power, thus causing the reboot.

Remove your battery cover and push upward on the battery, toward the camera lens, and wedge a small strip of paper or cardboard, just enough to ensure total contact with the 4 pins.

Again, this is ONLY A THEORY and will need someone to test it, as I've yet to have a reboot, but what I'm saying makes sense to me and my brother.

I've seen many threads with ideas on the cause, but nobody comes up with any attempt at a solution. I'm also willing to try someone's battery that is having reboots. I would flux and solder conductive shims on the battery contacts and put it in my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm...my second Z10 that had a random reboot was just laying on the counter. Default everything, connected to Wifi being the only modification.

I left clock and weather opened. Hardly heating apps.

Though this is a promising idea.

Thank you so very much for going to all this effort.

Do you think it is always the battery or can the pins on the device itself play a role?

~STV
    05-21-13 05:38 PM
    I'm not entirely sure if it would be the pins or the battery. But the shim would alleviate any play between the contacts on either side.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:40 PM
    I removed my 16g sd card and no random reboots...during charging. just a heads up for those looking for answers

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:40 PM
    I use a case and my girlfriend also, never rebooted can that be the fix? U never know

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:42 PM
    And what made me come up with this is, the same users are experiencing them even after reboots, so it almost has to be environmental.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:43 PM
    I also wonder if cases are holding heat in.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:44 PM
    Well keep us up to date.

My main Z10 that I hammer on daily with use and a case doesn't reboot, but my one laying around did once already. It's new.

If it does it again I may try this and report back. It could be a batch with defective pins or small difference in battery case area.

~STV
    05-21-13 05:55 PM
    Someone posted last month that her Z10 would reboot every time she put down her phone on a hard surface moderately hard. She also "Shimmied " the battery/battery door and seemed to solve her issues.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:02 PM
    Just curious, why were you cooling the battery on an a/c vent? How hot was it? Hottest that mine has been would be 38C. I've never removed the battery since installing the sd card, which was two months ago.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:02 PM
    Here's the thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=800782

Posted via CB10
    cug likes this.
    05-21-13 06:04 PM
    I initially thought it was a over heating issue with my cover on. But i know it is not the issue since my Z10 rebooted with out it. It did reboot however when the surrounding temp was cold.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:08 PM
    It was 99 degrees, and my battery discharge according to battery guru was 4.5 watts, so I popped the back cover off on my drive home and put it against a vent in my car. Believe it or not, the discharge rate went down to about 2.2 within 30 seconds.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:09 PM
    I initially thought it was a over heating issue with my cover on. But i know it is not the issue since my Z10 rebooted with out it. It did reboot however when the surrounding temp was cold.

Posted via CB10
    Which would conform to my idea. The battery cooled, and contracted.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:11 PM
    Here's the thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=800782

Posted via CB10
    I forgot I posted in that thread. That radeon1337 guy is a hero and genius.

Posted via CB10
    finallybb likes this.
    05-21-13 06:13 PM
    U betcha! Thx to your theory RAD I can sleep at night now. Lol!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:17 PM
    Interesting theory but my question is regarding the people who have exchanged their z10 and still experience reboots? This seems to be mainly Verizon users.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:23 PM
    Interesting theory but my question is regarding the people who have exchanged their z10 and still experience reboots? This seems to be mainly Verizon users.

Posted via CB10
    Because its very likely that the phone is going through the same environmental conditions as the model that got exchanged.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:27 PM
    Wedge a small strip of paper or cardboard? Wouldn't that cause fire? The inside gets hot.

It's kinda funny that for a 600 device that a solution like this is needed even if it works.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:28 PM
    Wedge a small strip of paper or cardboard? Wouldn't that cause fire? The inside gets hot.

It's kinda funny that for a 600 device that a solution like this is needed even if it works.

Posted via CB10
    How often does the label sticker on your phone burst into flames?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:30 PM
    I'll try it for research, although I haven't experience any reboots.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:32 PM
    Sometimes the most simplest solution can be the best solution

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:33 PM
    I mean, no more or less plausible than anything else I've read.

In my mind, this is plausible. There is thermal expansion of the battery, and the case (of some amount). I guess if the stack-up doesn't work, or if QC of the battery dimensions, case dimensions, or both, are out of tolerance, why not?

Without engineering drawings and specs of both (with tolerance call-outs) no real way to know. If one knew the expansion coefficients of both, then one could do a statistical stack-up..... been there, done that once or twice in my life....

It's a great thought IMO.
    05-21-13 06:34 PM
    Surprisingly, this was the reason for my mom's 9900 last year to reboot randomly. The battery she had was about a millimeter or so too small, and it'd reboot sometimes. Worth a try, right?
    05-21-13 06:37 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000503.jpg 
Views:	2663 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	163919

Update

The batery shim did not rectify the reboots. However some good news OS 2342 (leak) seems to have rectified the issue.

If you are suffering and don't mind tying a leak grab 2342 it seems like a winner.

Posted via CB10
    I have been suffering the random reboots ill give the shim theory a go and report back give me 48 hours to test i usually have 2 or three reboots a day while the phone is at 'rest' never while i am actually using it.

Update:

Reboots continued with Shim of battery

OS 2342 seems to have rectified the reboot issue for me so if you are suffering from random reboots and don't mind a leak OS then give this one a go.

All the best

CO
    Last edited by CRACKBERRY_OZ; 05-28-13 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Update
    05-21-13 06:40 PM
71 123