With more people seemingly afraid to buy bb10 thinking it will not be supported if bbry goes out of business, allowing it to boot into a pure andriod makes a lot of sense.

There are a lot of people that love pure andriod without the bloatware of Samsung or HTC etc so they might even sell some to people who never plan to use BB10.

At anyrate, why not? It worked great for apple. A ton of people who were unwilling to buy a Mac before, were willing to make the investment because they knew they could run windows in a pinch.

In the end people bought macs used Mac OS X but many would have never done so without the option to use Windows.

Posted via CB10
    QuantumQnx likes this.
    08-25-13 12:10 PM
    Another thing is that a salesman at a store who is a fan of andriod may start to see the z10 etc more favorably.

so many reasons to do this and so few not to.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 12:13 PM
    People who love pure Android already have the options of the Nexus devices and the Google Play edition devices. There aren't many Android purists longing for BlackBerry hardware and interested in trying BB10 on the side.
    08-25-13 12:17 PM
    Again running "android" on a Blackberry hardware device just isnt going to work for BB. It wont get them anymore sales really at this point.
    08-25-13 12:25 PM
    It was huge for Apple. I think it would be good for BBRY. It would also allow employees to run Andriod personally while running secure BB10 for work.

The point is that it is extra functionality within the capability of BlackBerry to implement.

Sure, not every driod user is going to switch, but if it got 1 million more sales world wide, it would be a significant boost to the platform.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 12:31 PM
    Oh, and I am only suggesting an optional download. Just like on the Mac, most users will never use it, but it adds value to the device.
    It adds value to the resale because it can be configured with Android.

I hate Andriod, BTW.
    I just think they should do all they can to make these devices as widely useful as possible.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 12:34 PM
    Here is the problem with that: in order to utilize all of android including Google frameworks and services like the playstore, BlackBerry has to make available as open source every kernel improvement or patch they code. As google's terms of use dictate that anyone accessing Google frameworks and services must contribute their work to the android open source project. There are so many reasons why this would be bad for BlackBerry that it's overwhelming to think about listing them.

People need to stop suggesting this, since BlackBerry has already essentially done it in the only way it can by creating the android runtime which for all intents and purposes is android without Google frameworks and services.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 01:10 PM
    What do you mean?
    All I am suggesting is that BlackBerry make android available to download onto BB10 phones.

I am in no way suggesting that they should abandon BB10.
    Again, I hate andriod. These phones are capable of running Andriod, it is just not available and I believe it is blocked without hacking. BlackBerry needs to do nothing to contribute to andriod other than making sure it runs well on the z10.

How is this going to hurt your BB10 experience? You don't have to use it.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 01:33 PM
    It hurts blackberry to have to make their Android code open source, which they would have to do in order to license full android with Google frameworks and services. Thus

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 01:35 PM
    How does that hurt BlackBerry?

Again, all this is about adding value to BB10 hand sets.

What is blackberry going to be developing that they should be worried about?
    They won't be adding any security to andriod. The only thing would be adding support for the specific hardware of the z10, z30 etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 01:38 PM
    Hmmmmm! I think that is crazy to have a dual booting blackberry and android device. I follow blackberry because it's different and in so many ways better. If BlackBerry closed it's doors, I would just go get a updated phone and OS of my choice at that point. Not worrying about a dated z10 or whatever it is at this point. I just don't think android is BlackBerrys savior. They can use android apps to show developers the endless possibilities with bb10 and also gain a little traction in the market place. Overall I would like to see BlackBerry all native and heck with anyone and everyone that can jump on the android boat. Nothing at all wrong with android or ios just want BlackBerry to stand on its own like the company it used to be when I discovered them.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 02:48 PM
    Use sachesi to dump the file system of a signed autoloader then look at all the apks in there made by blackberry including the BlackBerry keyboard apk. If you think many that all open source and thus available for implementation on any handset won't hurt bb10s value then you are crazy.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:18 PM
    Comparing Apple's 'Bootcamp' loader to this doesn't really work. Bootcamp didn't sell Macs; pretty visuals, simple user interfaces, and photo-editing-purest approaches is what helps sell Macs. Bootcamp is more of a gimmick so they can say that you don't have any reason to stay a Windows fan when you can have both.

Why would an Android user bother with a dual-booted Z10, when they could have a full Android based phone from the get-go? It wouldn't pull in very many, if any, Android users at all, and just like Apple's Bootcamp it'd be seen as just a gimmick and people would move on.
    08-25-13 03:45 PM
    I'm the odd one out here I think but I see this as a downfall. I like BlackBerry for the secure and stability. If they opened up to Android they would have to open ports which would allow in virus stuff just as it typically does with android.

If BlackBerry would MARKET they wouldn't be hurting sales wise. They are because they don't market. No one who hasn't had a BlackBerry knows how stabile or secure they are. People aren't going rto give something a chance when they know nothing about it.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 04:11 PM
    I'm the odd one out here I think but I see this as a downfall. I like BlackBerry for the secure and stability. If they opened up to Android they would have to open ports which would allow in virus stuff just as it typically does with android.

If BlackBerry would MARKET they wouldn't be hurting sales wise. They are because they don't market. No one who hasn't had a BlackBerry knows how stabile or secure they are. People aren't going rto give something a chance when they know nothing about it.

Posted via CB10
    They market. People don't listen because they have either had bad past BlackBerry experiences and or read bad reviews of bb10. They don't market in a way that has really done much to reverse the public consensus that bb10 isn't really a good platform choice for many reasons and doesn't offer any differentiating features worth the sacrifices one has to make to use the platform.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 06:00 PM
    My 2 cents. They can't do it. Developers would never make an app for BB10. There would be no point. Another thing, not as important I guess, would be the amount of memory it would take up. Multi-tasking would be impossible if you had one app on Android and another on BB10. I don't know. It's the little things I guess.
    08-25-13 06:25 PM
    Apparently most of you don't even understand what I am talking about.

A dual boot system is a device that is capable of booting to multiple OSes. NOT at the same time.

This would in no way effect the BB10 experience.
    If you buy a mac, windows does not come on it. However, if you need to, you can load windows on it.

This would not make the phones less secure because you would not be running Andriod unless you purposefully chose to download it, install it and boot from it.
    When you boot from andriod, you would not be running BB10.

The average user would simply run the OS that came on the phone, which is BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 07:37 PM
    My 2 cents. They can't do it. Developers would never make an app for BB10. There would be no point. Another thing, not as important I guess, would be the amount of memory it would take up. Multi-tasking would be impossible if you had one app on Android and another on BB10. I don't know. It's the little things I guess.
    No, you don't understand, you would NOT be running them at the same time.

You would have to REBOOT your phone into full andriod.

Oh, and apple did it, people started buying Macs and then developers started writing Mac apps.

I have been through it.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 07:39 PM
    Use sachesi to dump the file system of a signed autoloader then look at all the apks in there made by blackberry including the BlackBerry keyboard apk. If you think many that all open source and thus available for implementation on any handset won't hurt bb10s value then you are crazy.

Posted via CB10
    Whay are you talking about? Why would they be developing the blackberry keyboard for andriod?

I don't think you have a clue as to what I am talking about.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 07:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    You don't understand. The fact that I could loaf Windows on my Mac if I wanted to does not make my Mac less secure. I don't have Windows on my Mac, but I have used that feature in the past.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 07:43 PM
    Comparing Apple's 'Bootcamp' loader to this doesn't really work. Bootcamp didn't sell Macs; pretty visuals, simple user interfaces, and photo-editing-purest approaches is what helps sell Macs. Bootcamp is more of a gimmick so they can say that you don't have any reason to stay a Windows fan when you can have both.

Why would an Android user bother with a dual-booted Z10, when they could have a full Android based phone from the get-go? It wouldn't pull in very many, if any, Android users at all, and just like Apple's Bootcamp it'd be seen as just a gimmick and people would move on.
    There is where you are wrong. When Apple switched to Intel in 2006, I worked for a company that had all Windows PCs. We were actually an MS partner. The ability to run windows on Mac hardware led us to invest in several Macs that we would not have purchased otherwise.

Actually, the big seller for apple ended up being parallels which you ran as an app inside you Mac. But both options were used and many who wanted to try a Mac but were afraid to before did because of rhe ability to run windows.

This was back when people were thinking Apple was dead too, though they were already doing well with the iPod. The iPhone was not out yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 07:48 PM
    Here is the problem with that: in order to utilize all of android including Google frameworks and services like the playstore, BlackBerry has to make available as open source every kernel improvement or patch they code. As google's terms of use dictate that anyone accessing Google frameworks and services must contribute their work to the android open source project. There are so many reasons why this would be bad for BlackBerry that it's overwhelming to think about listing them.

People need to stop suggesting this, since BlackBerry has already essentially done it in the only way it can by creating the android runtime which for all intents and purposes is android without Google frameworks and services.

Posted via CB10
    Not true if they run a pure Google version like nexus or Google play. Only change would be to add hardware drivers.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 07:54 PM
    Not true if they run a pure Google version like nexus or Google play. Only change would be to add hardware drivers.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, thank you. Someone finally understands what I am talking about!

If this is inexpensive to do, who cares if many people actually use it as long as it gets people to consider BB10.

Getting people to actually consider a Mac was half the battle. Once they did, people loved them and they sold a ton.

Posted via CB10
    QuantumQnx likes this.
    08-25-13 07:58 PM
    I agree with OP. Selling a phone that can dual boot only adds functionality. From a consumer perspective, you have nothing to lose by buying a dual BlackBerry and Android phone. If you don't like BlackBerry 10, you can always run android. I'm sure that a large percentage of people would decide they actually prefer running BlackBerry. BlackBerry needs bold, decisive action.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 09:23 PM
    I agree with OP. Selling a phone that can dual boot only adds functionality. From a consumer perspective, you have nothing to lose by buying a dual BlackBerry and Android phone. If you don't like BlackBerry 10, you can always run android. I'm sure that a large percentage of people would decide they actually prefer running BlackBerry. BlackBerry needs bold, decisive action.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. I really think a lot of the people opposing this don't understand what is involved.
    Berry people would never need to use it but it would get a lot of people to consider the phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 09:27 PM
44 12