Kind of surprising because I was assuming Sony would use its considerable expertise and technology to produce a fabulous camera in the Xperia Z, but it looks like not only is that not the case, it is rated substantially below the not exactly world-beating Z10 camera, according to the foremost authority on digital camera performance testing, DxO Labs. (Bear in mind that there have been several improvements to the Z10 camera since the original DxO Labs review, as well):

(The following are re-posted reviews at Digital Photography Review, you can read the originals at www.dxomark.com)

Sony Xperia Z sinks in DxOMark Mobile Report (DXOMark Mobile Score: 61)

BlackBerry's back: Z10 camera review (DXOMark Mobile Score: 67)
    04-26-13 07:24 PM
    Strange no one has shown the slightest interest in this. What happened to all the people that kept all those threads going about the Z10 camera supposedly being so inferior to everything else?
    04-30-13 08:13 AM
    Strange no one has shown the slightest interest in this. What happened to all the people that kept all those threads going about the Z10 camera supposedly being so inferior to everything else?
    Oh thats easy they got one and actually used it reviews are just half the story it cannot beat hands on reality.
    04-30-13 08:36 AM
    This is interesting as I also assumed Sony would have been ahead when it comes to cameras.
    Saying that some reviews on the xperia z says that the camera is good so that must mean that the z10 camera is better than good.
    My experience with the z10 camera has been good anyway

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 08:41 AM
    Well personally I think about 75% of the Z10 camera's 'down points' in relation to the best of their competition could be solved with a software update. The question is whether Blackberry thinks those things are important enough to merit additional resource expended on updating them.

It seems the only obvious change in 10.1 re: camera functionality is the HDR feature. Will be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of Z10/Q10 cameras, or Z10 camera on 10.0.10.x vs 10.1.x.x.
    04-30-13 09:08 AM