05-01-13 10:24 AM
101 ... 2345
tools
    What in the world would one need to do with their phone to require a quad core (or greater) processor?

Is anyone really going to be doing any serious video editing (or a similar processor intensive activity) on a mobile phone?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    Yes, because sooner then later you won't need a home computer. Your phone will be the brain that attatches to screen and keyboard
    FoxxBerry likes this.
    04-28-13 06:35 PM
    Do we know the processor is the problem? Personally i would rather do without the android apps if we need to unnecessarily start beefing up hardware. Better they fix the software instead.
    Emulators are always slower so i assume it needs to be compensated with extra power to rin things faster. But I agree it would be better to optimize android player further.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-13 06:51 PM
    Doesn't matter to me what it's packing. It's how it uses it

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 06:52 PM
    Absolutely not... not until these apps take full advantage of a quad core cpu. Battery improvements would be much more useful.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 07:06 PM
    Uhhhh...Yehhhh!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 08:20 PM
    the new generation of processors dont all constantly run. It can run one core at a time and call upon other processors when needed. So it will save battery life and have the benefit of four cores.

so a dual core both running will actually consume more power then a four core using that technology.
    Sorry. But, you have no clue what you are talking about. Then only value of multiple cores is to do more at the same time. Doing more at the same time requires more power. It may get things done faster, but the net energy used for a given set of tasks will be the same (or greater since you cannot efficiently turn cores on and off without some loss of efficiency.) Multiple cores only improve performance if they can be equally loaded. To date, the best application for that kind of efficient parallel processing is graphics. But those are very specialized cores... not very good at general purpose computing like the ARM cores used in the Z10 Snapdragon cpu.

I suppose in the context of a smartphone, multiple cores could allow you to run multiple processing intensive widgets (say video conferencing with real time language voice translation) but for most of us, this is just not necessary.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 10:33 PM
    I defiantly agree with you on that one. I believe that the rumored 5" Blackberry will have the quad core CPU. I don't know. its possible.
    04-28-13 11:12 PM
    yes please, because of active frames running the background, i dont want to stress the only 2 cores that i have
    04-28-13 11:50 PM
    I think the future of mobile computing will need a quad or octa core, but I will require a docking station so all my computing can be done through my hand held.
    04-29-13 12:41 AM
    The phone has enough hiccups with dual core, let's just leave it at that.
    04-29-13 04:43 AM
    NO! I do not want a cellphone that only lasts 4 hours because the phone is constantly using quad cores. No application to date uses quadcore(from what I've read) and only android needs it not to lag. I would only want it if the battery compensated and it would run sideloads better.
    Buy any of the latest gamloft games, play it 5mins, touch the back of your phone, appreciate the laggs that start happening, come back here and repeat that for me to laugh

Posted via CB10
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    04-29-13 06:26 AM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook was a strong contender in the replacement for desktop computers for the uses you mention. Unfortunately, this product has been allowed to languish instead of realizing its full potential. However, for email, web browsing, photo viewing, music playback, basic word processing circa Microsoft Word for MS-DOS, along with remote server management via SSH and RDP the current BlackBerry PlayBook software and applications meet these criteria. BlackBerry Bridge needs to come back to full functionality so that the symbiotic relationship between BlackBerry smartphone and tablet "leap frogs the competition".
    You are so right, BlackBerry are continuing to miss the big picture. The playbook/mobile phone combination is the ideal set up for the travelling business user, and I for one really miss the full bridge facility and lack of bb10 on the Playbook. Hopefully Thorston will move on this soon and offer a usable package for business that you still cant get elsewhere. Until then, we continue to not “get things done”
    BlackBerry would clean up if they truly supported business users and I cant understand why they cannot see that!
    04-29-13 06:41 AM
    A quad core CPU?

Sure, as long as it doesn't double the amount of random reboots per 24 hours.

I say, get the present engine running reliably before ya talk about engine performance enhancement.... just my $0.05

AND.... as long as the battery life remains, at least, consistent.
    04-29-13 07:11 AM
    Meh I'd rather have a bigger battery than more cores. UI and feature improvements are more important than playing the Android spec war.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    04-29-13 07:14 AM
    Ladies and gentlemen, you are crazy... of course I want quad or more! I buy my computers with proper specs not for now, but for the future and that is the same way I want to buy a phone.

I never think about what is good for me now, you want a product that is ready to adapt to when tech shifts.

BlackBerry needs to come out with phones like the TK rendering. I want a big screen with a keyboard. Q10 was a safe phone... it is time to blow the next phone out of the industries water! But, I digress...

Posted via me on my Z10
    04-29-13 08:53 AM
    The responses in this thread are pretty funny. Quad-core is coming no matter what.

Saying we don't need quad-core while using a dual-core is pretty silly. Should we have just stayed at single-cores then?
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    04-29-13 09:09 AM
    Buy any of the latest gamloft games, play it 5mins, touch the back of your phone, appreciate the laggs that start happening, come back here and repeat that for me to laugh

Posted via CB10
    I can see it now. Great big @ss cooling fans strapped to the back of phone.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10 10.0.10.85 on Rogers
    John Gee likes this.
    04-29-13 09:34 AM
    The responses in this thread are pretty funny. Quad-core is coming no matter what.

Saying we don't need quad-core while using a dual-core is pretty silly. Should we have just stayed at single-cores then?
    The jump from single to dual cores is significant, diminishing returns are greater after that. The point is quad - core will not give you a better experience if the apps are not optimized to use multi-threading.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling and John Gee like this.
    04-29-13 09:43 AM
    No. It's useless. I don't need quad core. Seriously my evo could dual display with a single core CPU and do does my Z10 I don't need it. It's like driving a Ferrari at 20mph for all of its life and getting horrible mpg

Posted via CB10
    John Gee likes this.
    04-29-13 09:44 AM
    It's long been a complaint that BlackBerry doesn't seem to care about current hardware. In the case of the BB10s that's not quite true (I'd put them in the upper range of competitiveness), but it's still a complaint.

I'd like to see just how good BB10 would be on leading edge mobile hardware, and it would shut the "BB is dead" critics for good.

Posted via CB10
    I would not put it in the upper range of competitiveness. The Z10 has mid range specs. It would have been in the "upper range" if it release around Spring time of last year.

That being said, I really don't care, but it would have been nice to have been running around with the new Snapdragon instead of last years model.

The Z10 is still a high end device. It also has an all around premium feel.

RIM (BlackBerry) needs to get relevant hardware on their newer devices if they want to keep up with the competition. Just like how Apple, Samsung and HTC do it. This years hardware with this years devices.
    04-29-13 09:45 AM
    They will do quad core due to marketing. I'd rather see a higher clock with two cores though.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-29-13 10:01 AM
    Just wondering whether having more cores, ie quad core, would benefit in running multiple apps, noting the given that 1 app doesn't need more than a dual core to run efficiently?

I'm guessing QNX is similar as computers, where a computer can run multiple apps/windows better with more cores?

QNX does scale very well with more cpu's even if on a closed network. Bare in mind this occurs based on the ui and the programming it'll give processes to based on the program requesting it or if more system resources require it. Thus far BB10 doesn't especially with restricting 8 apps running in the background.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 10:10 AM
    I don't like the idea of throwing mad amounts of cores at software. Sure, it might speed up Android apps. Then again, is that what we are after? They're nice to fill gaps but in the end of the Day we want to see native BB10 goodness. I'd rather have nice, clean and polished software that makes good use of dual core CPUs. Efficiency is king here.

As for marketing, do you think it matters that much? Sure, we know specs ... but we're enthusiasts. I doubt that just 5% of the iOS users know the CPU of their devices. It works for them and provides a more or less smooth user experience. That's what counts imho.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 10:29 AM
    Whatever. Just as long as battery life is not degraded and os is still smooth. I won't care.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 10:30 AM
    I'd rather see whole android runtime disappear. BB10 is super smooth on current hardware no need to upgrade. Let android users worry about quad cores and endless gigs of ram. I chose BB10 (qnx) to enjoy quality software that don't require super computer to flip between screens.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-29-13 10:37 AM
101 ... 2345