Aristo uses with a Quad core CPU same as all other Andorid Phones releasing in December 2013..
    There is no Octa core CPUs. Samsung Exynos has 8 cores, but those are like 2 sets of 4 cores each and at any time only one set is used where selection is based on load - one set of for high load scenario, one set for low load. So pretty obvious, that Octa core Exynos is not better than Quad core Snapdragon or Tegra 4 in performance even slightly.
    04-28-13 03:57 AM
    I'm fairly certain that I don't need a quad CPU in my BB. At some point down the road maybe; but right now there is nothing app wise that requires that much battery drain and heat. If it needs that much processing power I'll grab a tablet or laptop.
    04-28-13 04:22 AM
    I'd prefer an even nicer user experience, not that I have complaints now. That along with more native apps that I don't yet know I want.
    Bdot-1 likes this.
    04-28-13 05:04 AM
    I'm fairly certain that I don't need a quad CPU in my BB. At some point down the road maybe; but right now there is nothing app wise that requires that much battery drain and heat. If it needs that much processing power I'll grab a tablet or laptop.
    a lot of apps are android based. Often the complain is that these apps are running sk
    Low or choppy. So having more powerful hardware shouldaddress this issue.

Android player is herę to stay

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-13 05:59 AM
    My Samsung s3 had four cores... my z10 is faster and smoother

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 06:37 AM
    My Samsung s3 had four cores... my z10 is faster and smoother

Posted via CB10
    No i get that. I am not talking about operating systems. Only android player and android apps. Faster cpu should make them run faster so there is no performance difference between native and android apps. Android player is not going anywhere and it will take long time long time before we might see it go away. We need to live with it and make experience as enjoyable as possible

04-28-13 06:54 AM
    only thing they should do is updating Android player to JB

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 07:16 AM
    only thing they should do is updating Android player to JB

Posted via CB10
    What will be the difference? Speed, better compatibility with apps?

04-28-13 07:24 AM
    Only if the software needs it. If not then stay with dual core.
    04-28-13 09:12 AM
    It would probably use more battery. The idea is interesting though. My Z10 seems quite fast already.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 09:25 AM
    Quad cores would be only marginally faster, and only in specific situations.

Octa cores provide no performance increase whatsoever, they can only ever use four at a time. The reason to use the current generation of octa core processors is battery consumption, not performance.
    No. You're confusing 8 core CPUs with dual quad core CPUs configured in a "big.LITTLE" configuration.
    04-28-13 09:36 AM
    What will be the difference? Speed, better compatibility with apps?

Most likely. Updating from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to, say, Jelly Bean 4.2.2 would put in around two years' worth of fixes, optimizations and general improvements.
    04-28-13 12:43 PM
    Most likely. Updating from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to, say, Jelly Bean 4.2.2 would put in around two years' worth of fixes, optimizations and general improvements.
    This makes sense. Let's hope we get it soon.

04-28-13 12:49 PM
    Isn't QNX supposed to be good at using cores?
    04-28-13 12:58 PM
    2, 4, 8, even 16 cores make no difference unless apps or multithreaded. Most of these apps are written by kids who only just barily know where the keyboard is. Most or single threaded and therefore will only execute on one core anyway. This a problem in most OSs these days one Core will do all the work while the others sit idle. Windows tries to spread the work out amongst cores but even it will load one core and bog down. That is why the intel Core i series is optimized for single core single thread performance and kicks the **** out of the AMD FX series of CPUs which is tuned more for multithreaded multi core apps. Which is a shame since the FX series could be truly monsters if more apps where multi threaded.
    As a developer I am not going to put a lot of work into any mobile app for the few hundred dollars even a good one will make year. Only a few hundred break a grand a year and at most handful break 10k a year.
    Until app developers can make descent money writing apps for any platform your going to get crap single tread apps that only execute on a single core. Ill hack together something to send to app world. But I am not going to spend another 100+ hours debuging a mult threaded version of it to make the same money.
    Last edited by Glen Hinckley; 04-28-13 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Grammer clean up.
    04-28-13 01:13 PM
    And slider

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 01:32 PM
    We don't need any quad-core CPU smartphone. There is no application which could possibly make use of such a microprocessor.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    There will be soon. The problem is current developers are lazy. Especially mobile developers. But you can't really get much faster with two cores so we'll be needing four if the phone is going to keep improving.
    04-28-13 02:00 PM
    My biggest concern with a quad-core CPU would be the battery drain. What is the point of saying "I HAVE FOUR CORES!" when you'd also have to add "MY BATTERY LASTS FOR 1.5 HRS! LULZ"

Definitely just spec-ego. Whenever I encounter someone who knows of the Z10 but never really researched it, all they know about is the specs. they don't know how well the QNX based OS runs off of just a dual core, all they know is that the specs are a "generation behind".

Who cares? :P I'm still using a second gen Intel Core i* CPU in my machine... it's not 3rd gen or Haswell, but it still does everything I need it to do. (And damn well might I add)

So yea, Quad-core BB10 phone would rock... I think BBRY needs a work-horse... but that work-horse would definitely need some bad-*** battery saving tech to compensate for that power hungry CPU.
    04-28-13 02:12 PM
    Of course we want everything to be great in the next flag-ship BB10 phone. But when you don't have unlimited resources, you have to prioritize the wish list. I agree with OP that a more powerful CPU will probably improve the Android runtime performance but is it the top priority from user point of view?

Below are the lists of my own, categorized into different teams in BBRY... I often read people posting that specs doesn't matter because BBRY has to focus on SW improvements, but what is their HW team going to do in the meantime? sitting idle? of course not, every team needs to focus on their own domain and competing against their own competing teams, i.e. BBRY HW team's goal is to compete with the HW teams from Apple, Sumsang, HTC, Nokia, etc. on hardware specs (GHz, cores, screen size, resolution, battery life, etc etc), they can't sit idle when BBRY SW team is taking the cake on the front line... so does the marketing team, they can't be riding the waves of BB10, they have to pull their own weight by doing a better job than the marketing teams from Apple and Sumsang!

But, I digress.

For BBRY hardware design team:

1. Battery life
    2. Camera (not exactly only for hardware team)
    3. Screen size and resolution
    4. CPU specs
    5. Wireless charging

For SW team

1. 30 days email
    2. Notification profile support
    3. BB Map Improvement
    4. Background threads/processes support
    5. OS&App Integration (like launching map app from calendar/browser/email/remember etc.)
    6. Mobile payment support

Dev relations:

1. Wechat&Instagram&Netflex etc. big apps
    2. Banking apps
    3. Store apps (starbucks, etc.)

Marketing:

1. Brand rebuilding in US
    2. BB10 presence at store front
    04-28-13 03:22 PM
    I want to see a BlackBerry phone with a 8 core processor cause I'm crazy

Posted via CB10
    bitek likes this.
    04-28-13 03:22 PM
    Unnecessary. Phone runs great as is due to software optimization and getting better with updates. Quad will just drain power. Don't get caught up in the spec mentality when it's just overkill.
    04-28-13 04:02 PM
    Keep in mind that Thorsten said BlackBerry would replace your desktop computer. There might be a device which is not optimal as a phone but is perfectly capable of doing what the majority of people do on their desktop computers: check email, store photos and data, surf the Web. It probably could be made to work as a good phone as well but might be on the large and heavy side.
    The BlackBerry PlayBook was a strong contender in the replacement for desktop computers for the uses you mention. Unfortunately, this product has been allowed to languish instead of realizing its full potential. However, for email, web browsing, photo viewing, music playback, basic word processing circa Microsoft Word for MS-DOS, along with remote server management via SSH and RDP the current BlackBerry PlayBook software and applications meet these criteria. BlackBerry Bridge needs to come back to full functionality so that the symbiotic relationship between BlackBerry smartphone and tablet "leap frogs the competition".
    04-28-13 05:27 PM
    What in the world would one need to do with their phone to require a quad core (or greater) processor?

Is anyone really going to be doing any serious video editing (or a similar processor intensive activity) on a mobile phone?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    04-28-13 05:59 PM
    Nope spec's Aren't everything in a phone I'd rather that they work on the os

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    wolf_359 likes this.
    04-28-13 06:02 PM
    a lot of apps are android based. Often the complain is that these apps are running sk
    Low or choppy. So having more powerful hardware shouldaddress this issue.

Android player is herę to stay

Do we know the processor is the problem? Personally i would rather do without the android apps if we need to unnecessarily start beefing up hardware. Better they fix the software instead.
    04-28-13 06:22 PM
101 12345