The Z10 is not a foolish choice if you want a smaller device with moderately shorter battery life. The Z30 is not for the small of hand or faint of heart with it's 5" screen and blazing fast speeds. That said, I have owned 2 Z10s (black one and a white one) and now rock only the Z30, but had both at one time as well as a Q10 which had better battery life than the Z10 and better display IMHO, the smaller screen was hard to accept and besides I was already accustomed to the touch screen keyboard and no longer wanted a physical one. The Z10 was a little more convenient with it's slighly smaller size, but lack of a couple of features as mentioned above, smaller battery/shorter battery life and the fact that I believe that the build quality is slightly better on the Z30 along with it's super AMOLED display made me love the Z30 over all other smartphones. Now maybe a Z26 (made that up) with a 4.6" Super AMOLED screen and slightly better specs and battery life than the Z30 and ... oh, nevermind.
    01-15-14 11:41 AM
    I'd like it to be a z10 in my pocket and a z30 when I'm using it ;-) . . Think I could get the engineers to work on that? :-)

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    +1. I could not have said it better myself.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 12:35 PM
    Maybe someone can post a video of using the Z10 and the Z30 one handed, with a side by side comparison? I have small hands and normally will start the day reading CrackBerry with my phone in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. Just the practicality of it all. And small jeans pocket too for my phone. Being the addict that I am, I will probably look into the Z30 when it is more affordable.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-15-14 02:18 PM
    I've looked at the 30, and frankly, am not dumping my 10.

Now even-up, today, same price, I'd take the 30. I think. But it would be close.

The removable (exchangeable, in the field) battery is a big deal for me. So is being able to run a 4500mah one with a larger back. Neither can be done with the 30. Yes, you PROBABLY won't need to, but if you do you're screwed.

The 30 is faster (by quite a bit), has a larger screen but is OLED instead of IPS. I prefer IPS. It's not a huge preference, but.....

The 30 has EXCELLENT speakers. The 10, not so much. For calls I don't care as I use a bluetooth headset almost-exclusively. If you use the speakerphone heavily (I hardly use it at all) this matters more.

Size is either good or bad depending on what you like. The 30 is just on the outside edge of what I find acceptable. The 10 is excellent in this regard.

At today's cut prices on the 10 from BlackBerry direct, I can't justify the additional price.

But I don't have a use for things that only the 30 does, like USB host access.
    01-15-14 02:46 PM
    I do not have a Z30 but do have a Z10, coming from an IP5 the battery life is comparable i.e. I charge it once a day or plug it in when I am at my computer. Coming from an older BB though I could see the issue.

I did have a good play with a Z30 last week and it does feel a little hefty as in Samsung S3/4 hefty but the screen is nice and it is obviously a better phone in many areas. Truth be told I'd like to try a Z30 for a bit but I got the Z10 on the cheap as I wanted to give BB10 a go over my IP5 for a while.

I like my Z10 though a lot and for the current price it is a steal really.
    01-15-14 02:46 PM
    If you don't need the FM receiver, or other features the Z30 has that the Z10 doesn't, I see no reason why the Z10 would be a bad choice. I have the Z10 and though I like it, the Z30 would be a bad choice for me. I need the swappable battery. Even with the good battery life the Z30 has, when traveling internationally, the ability to swap out the battery is indispensable. There are times I simply cannot plug it in, for a long time. Multiple batteries are a must for me. If that isn't an issue for you, and for most people it isn't, then the Z30 is fantastic. I still like the Z10 for its size in the pocket though.
    01-15-14 02:53 PM
    I had the Z10 for 10 months and I loved it! Super great phone! But now I have the Z30, and I would never go back to the Z10. The Z30 is so much more! It's faster, bigger, battery life (love, LOVE the battery life) It seems it can last forever. The sounds are awesome. I would not hesitate for a moment to encourage you to go for the Z30. If you can do it, go for the BEST. Why compromise yourself?! I was surprised how comfortable the Z30 feels in my pocket. Never thought that would be possible. Not as comfortable as the Z10 in that regard, but can't complain. When I take out of my pocket, the Z30 is all smiles, an incredible fun phone/computer to use. All things being considered, in my humble opinion go for the BEST. The Z30. LOL You will LOVE it! You will not hear of many people going back to the Z10 after the Z30 experience. They are the exception.
    sly11 likes this.
    01-15-14 04:46 PM
    For those that think they will be the heavy user that runs out of battery power in less than a day, they have small portable battery chargers for some quick juice like the BlackBerry MP2100. It is about the same size as the z10 portable battery bundle, maybe even thinner and definitely more juice, but I get nearly twice the battery life with the Z30 than I did with the Z10. Fifty percent better for sure under most any circumstances, but I find I use my Z30 for much more now and no longer need a PlayBook or other tablet as much.
    01-16-14 06:48 AM
    Not at all. The Z30 may have a more powerful processor, but the z10 has a higher resolution display with a higher pixel density. Also a lot of people find the form factor much better on the z10

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    01-16-14 08:16 AM
    I've just blagged an early upgrade from a SIM only contract to one with a Z10. I currently have a Z10 but it was a demo model that I got to keep. It is now developing some hardware issues (drops power randomly when placed on desk) and as I have no support for it I want one through my carrier now for ease of future support.

The Z30 is a little too big for my taste - I find the Z10 an ideal size in hand and in pocket (but then I'm only small to be fair). The better specs/battery life aren't really an issue for me as I'm not that heavy a user. I'm very happy to stick with a Z10.

Z10 | STL100-1 | 10.2.1.1925
    Last edited by SteveLawUK; 01-16-14 at 09:00 AM.
    01-16-14 08:43 AM
    For those that think they will be the heavy user that runs out of battery power in less than a day, they have small portable battery chargers for some quick juice like the BlackBerry MP2100. It is about the same size as the z10 portable battery bundle, maybe even thinner and definitely more juice, but I get nearly twice the battery life with the Z30 than I did with the Z10. Fifty percent better for sure under most any circumstances, but I find I use my Z30 for much more now and no longer need a PlayBook or other tablet as much.
    True, you can use a portable charging device, but with the Z10, I can pop the battery out, put the fresh on in and put the phone back in my pocket. Much preferable for me when walking through and airport in Asia or anywhere actually. For some your approach will work fine, for others not so much. There is nothing wrong with the Z10 provided it does what you need. Mine does, for me.
    01-16-14 12:08 PM
    Yes I know there's a lot of threads already out there about this topic that I can read, and I have, but I just wanted to start a new one for some fresh perspectives.

I think that I prefer the z10 to the z30 for looks and in hand feel (and cost), but the z30 seems sooo good from many of the forum comments, so I'm wondering from a functional or performance standpoint if there would be a reason I would regret that decision.

I am specifically looking for those who have actually used both devices; not just spec comparison observations. Thanks! :-)

I don't think it would be foolish if you prefer the size of the Z10 over the larger Z30. To some, a 5" "phone" is too big (looks like people are typing into a tablet, i've heard).

Z10 is awesome, but you'll give up the following by chosing the Z10 over the Z30

- Battery life (though Z10 battery is changable)
    - Display resolution
    - Wifi direct
    - USBOTG
    - Miracast
    - FM radio

Good luck
    01-16-14 02:09 PM
    A lot of good advice and comparisons OP, so with that in mind, you really should handle the devices if possible and then decide for yourself. If for no explainable reason you still feel you like or preferred Z10, then get it. Nothing foolish about it. The Z10 is a great phone in it's own right. Good luck.
    01-16-14 11:40 PM
    I think the Z10 is a great phone, and I don't think it's silly to choose a Z10 over a Z30. I would prefer a Z10 still because of the size and look

Subscribe to my channel "Mustard seed faith" @ C003C216D
    01-16-14 11:48 PM
    I use to think that choosing an "inferior" device over the top of the line device in the series was a terrible move. However, I am better able to understand wanting to do so. (I was devastated when Apple didn't use the black & slate look for the 5s and then discontinued the 5, so much so that I was willing to seek out a black & slate 5. The only reason I never purchased one was because I could never ensure that it was in pristine condition or find one locally in pristine condition. #firstworldproblems anyone?)

Go for what you like because you're the one who has to live with the device.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 01:35 AM
    The only reason I can see is size preference. Otherwise the z30 should be superior in every way.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    01-17-14 01:48 AM
    The only reason I can see is size preference. Otherwise the z30 should be superior in every way.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    Yeah, unless you want/need wifi-calling as on T-Mo usa. Which I do. So far have not seen anyone make that happen on the Z30. Maybe with a new OS upgrade... but. I also do not find my battery life to be terrible and I do swap batteries once or twice a week. If the Z30 had wifi-calling, then maybe.
    01-17-14 02:11 AM
    have had my Z10 since last january and it`s worked without fault, and is still a good choice, . received my Z30 as a birthday present and it`s brilliant, otherwise i would had bought a spare Z10, it`s down to personal choice.
    01-17-14 02:35 AM
    I'd like it to be a z10 in my pocket and a z30 when I'm using it ;-) . . Think I could get the engineers to work on that? :-)

Exactly! As beautiful as the z30 is, it's just too large to be carrying around in the pocket imo. And I certainly don't want a phone that size holstered on my hip. I have a co-worker who has a Galaxy Note 3 and wears it on his hip. It's just too much. Honestly I would rather have the z30 in every way but it's just not practical for my needs strictly due to its size.

Z10
    01-17-14 03:13 AM
    Size (old eyes, fat fingers but large pockets), battery life, cell reception, wifi-direct and radio ... enough to make me love my Z30 over my Q/Z10s anytime.
    Still use My LE occasionally, when I want to travel light and classy though !
    01-17-14 05:41 AM
    Not at all. The Z30 may have a more powerful processor, but the z10 has a higher resolution display with a higher pixel density. Also a lot of people find the form factor much better on the z10

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    I agree with this post.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-17-14 06:57 AM
    Z30 screen is beautiful... but doesn't matter what OP choose, it is not stupid, because both phones are great for its price point.

I would go with Z30 though.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    01-17-14 08:12 AM
    I have the battery bundle for my Z10 and still curse every time I have to swap batteries usually within 6-8 hours of taking my phone of the charger. Sometimes even earlier.

Asides from the bigger phone which I'm thinking would take a week to get use to perhaps, I'd defintly go grab a z30 if I were you!!

Don't get me wrong my z10 phone is great and all but battery battery battery. They defintly dropped the ball on this one at the drafting table!!!

Cheers
    01-17-14 08:20 AM
    I have both and I switch from time to time yes the Z30 is a bit smoother slightly bigger the battery is great and the sound is really as good as was mentioned when it came out,but no matter what people say about the Z10 battery to me it's still an amazing device, I'm able to get a full days use texting,BBM, Facebook even candy crush some other gaming and the odd call here and there I'm extremely satisfied with both devices it's a win win for me. You can't go wrong either way you look at it if your a BlackBerry supporter.

My amazing BB Z10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-17-14 08:29 AM
    Other than the size of the device, the screen of the Z10 looks sharper to me (well it does have more pixel density) as the Z30 screen, although larger and thus more comfortable to type on especially two handed, can look a little bit fuzzy sometimes with certain images. I know because I used to own a Z10 for almost a year, and I also own a full HD android device and man, the difference is pretty noticeable.

Posted using the LG G2 / BlackBerry Z30
    01-17-14 09:00 AM
57 123