12-17-13 11:42 PM
133 ... 3456
tools
    Work is dropping all Blackberry phones and I need to choose another work phone. Basically, anything Verizon offers besides Blackberry. I've had Blackberry phones for the last decade and have not used anything else. Very reliable and efficient. My question is what is a good replacement for my Z10?
    Sorry not sure if the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is offered on Verizon but if it is I highly recommend it. It is a big phone (phablet) but it is an incredible device. Battery life is incredible and the stylus is very useful for taking quick notes, minutes. I have one and will be sticking with the note line from now on.
    11-10-13 10:19 AM
    I agree, most companies who were waiting on BES10 simply managed Z10 devices over active sync. I work for one of the big 3 carries in Canada and when they replaced my aging 9800 ( FYI took them forever), BES10 wasn?t out for service yet but the Z10 was on our list of applicable phones to choose from. I've been using my Z10 over active sync ever since getting it in February.

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    Same at our company. We run old BES software for older BlackBerrys but no BES 10. iPhones, Z10 and Q10 are all managed the same way here.
    11-10-13 12:52 PM
    Work is dropping all Blackberry phones and I need to choose another work phone. Basically, anything Verizon offers besides Blackberry. I've had Blackberry phones for the last decade and have not used anything else. Very reliable and efficient. My question is what is a good replacement for my Z10?
    Another Z10 or a Z30
    11-10-13 01:54 PM
    I was going to recommend Z30 too... but read that the reason they had to drop BB was because BB10 doesn't support one of the password scheme or something they use... so Z30 might not do it neither
    11-10-13 02:39 PM
    There are no good replacements for BlackBerry. Your business will tank. Sorry.
    melb_me likes this.
    11-10-13 03:44 PM
    This feels like a troll post.. I hope I'm wrong
    Hell of a way to make the new guy feel welcome.

To the OP, I would suggest, in order, the iPhone, Galaxy Note 3 (if you don't mind the size) or a Lumia device
    h20work likes this.
    11-10-13 04:14 PM
    Huh? If they are using active sync, that's simply not true. Find out what they are connecting with, sounds like you are getting fed a line

CB10'n it via da Z
    If they're using MDM software (like Good, for instance), that's a layer on top of ActiveSync and no, it won't support BB10 yet.
    11-10-13 04:33 PM
    Sideload the security app???
    :>)
    Pretty sure it wouldn't work... Anyway I hope you find what suits you best.
    11-10-13 04:33 PM
    If they're using MDM software (like Good, for instance), that's a layer on top of ActiveSync and no, it won't support BB10 yet.
    Or in the case of my company, TouchDown from Maas360. In spite of BYOD, IT departments are still concerned about policy enforcement.

Sent from my XT1080 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-10-13 04:41 PM
    There are no good replacements for BlackBerry. Your business will tank. Sorry.
    I think you forgot the /s sarcasm tag. Next time use comic sans font
    11-10-13 05:10 PM
    They chosen not to upgrade the BES server to BB10 and cannot force BB10 users to implement password protection with whatever software they are using for androids and iOS. I don't what else to tell you.

Posted via CB10
    Either there is a strategic decision to eliminate BlackBerry devices and they are telling you what they want you to hear, or IT is incompetent. It should be simple enough to enforce passwords if they want it to happen.

I encountered the same scenario in my day job, except there is no choice about work provided device. We get Samsung GS3 whether we like it or not, whether it is appropriate or not. My advice having experienced Android is to go for iPhone 5S, and use the seafarer's method if you are landed with something unacceptable - it keeps breaking, again, and again... until you get what *you* want.

EDIT: The Galaxy just lost contact with its SIM for the second time today. Looks like another dismantling to reseat the SIM, I don't even have to try to break it
    11-10-13 05:42 PM
    so you posted in a Z10 forum that you want a non-Blackberry to replace it? Why not go over to Android or Iphone forums, wouldnt you expect to get a more concise and suitable response....
    We have many members with cross-platform experience, so asking here is as good as any other forum.
    11-10-13 05:56 PM
    The guy has been a long-time CB forum visitor. Seems logical that he might come here for advice. But having recently had to switch devices myself and also become active in Android Central, there are a lot of displaced BlackBerry users there. And the OP would actually get a civil answer without getting pounded like he has by some here. What is up with this forum?

I don't know, but a few infractions and warnings have gone out with the rations to encourage a more friendly response in the future
    BravoZuluDelta and KemKev like this.
    11-10-13 05:57 PM
    Ultimately head to the Verizon store and try some of the phones out to see which one you like. None of us can say which phone you will like, only you can make that decision so get which one you enjoy and can see yourself using on a daily basis =)
    Good point. A lot of phone selection is whether it fits comfortably in User's hands.
    11-10-13 06:00 PM
    [warn] Please debate and discuss the products, NOT the other members. I have seen enough, Warnings and Infractions have been issued, next step will be some timeouts (banning) if members can't remain civil and on topic.[/warn]
    11-10-13 06:02 PM
    [QUOTE=Branta;9514753]Either there is a strategic decision to eliminate BlackBerry devices and they are telling you what they want you to hear, or IT is incompetent. It should be simple enough to enforce passwords if they want it to happen. <snip>

Not necessarily. You didn't mention a third option: Suppose the IT department is not incompetent, nor have they set their heart on eliminating BlackBerry devices. Rather, they have implemented BYOD and people have wanted devices other than BB, so they've implemented a mobile device management app to enforce group policies (because BES did not offer that functionality for non-BB devices). And those apps do not work with BB OS10 because the MDM app hasn't been developed or will not be developed because of low BB market penetration. And tons of BB users are stuck in limbo as I was.

I pushed back with vigor (unsuccessfully) on my company's policies in this regard but don't believe there was a designed plan to eliminate BlackBerry devices, nor that our IT group is incompetent.

11-10-13 06:08 PM
    What about Windows Phone? Turn to the enemy?

They have MS Office preinstalled which would be good for a business
    11-10-13 06:19 PM
    If I was forced to give up my work Q10, I'd go for an iPhone. Mostly because I'd still have my personal Z10 to keep me company
    11-10-13 08:27 PM
    I had the situation of getting rid of legacy BBOS so I got a BB10 phone. It works fine with our Exchange server.

If there additional apps you need to run the. Get an iPhone if you don't want the mess that is Andriod.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 09:31 PM
    Get whatever you like. There's too many "let's consider other phones" threads. Use the search function please.

STL3 1803 hybrid w/10.2.1 bars
    11-10-13 09:57 PM
    Just grab what everyone grabs and get an iPhone, end of thread.

You are now in my Bingo Book
    11-10-13 11:34 PM
    The guy has been a long-time CB forum visitor. Seems logical that he might come here for advice. But having recently had to switch devices myself and also become active in Android Central, there are a lot of displaced BlackBerry users there. And the OP would actually get a civil answer without getting pounded like he has by some here. What is up with this forum?

Inferiority complex.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 02:13 AM
    Cant believe i got an infraction for saying "This feels like a troll post but i hope im wrong" seriously? CB has so many people coming here just to stir stuff up and this felt like another one of those threads.
    pvphooman likes this.
    11-11-13 02:30 AM
    Merkel Z10 was hacked in few minutes by the NSA..enjoy
    Link please? I'll wait

(FYI: There is no link. But thanks for the misinformation. Not a single one of the Snowden documents references Merkel's Z10. They only reference her old Nokia phone)
    pvphooman likes this.
    11-11-13 04:38 AM
    Where is Qbnkelt when you need her, eh
    By far the most experienced cross platform device user I have seen in these forums (no offense to anyone else)

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 01:40 PM
133 ... 3456