Woohoo! [PICS] BlackBerry Z10 Will Have 2GB RAM, Dual HD Cam & More!-379x627x457139_522157341142756_64497560_o.jpg

Source: http://www.bbin.in/en/2012/12/pics-b...l-hd-cam-more/
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 12-22-12 at 11:33 AM.
    12-22-12 11:12 AM
    Now, how much of that will we be able to use to install apps?

EDIT: I likes the BB10 even more now after seeing answers to my question =D
    Last edited by JameB; 12-23-12 at 01:16 AM.
    jon4400 and Berry_Pink like this.
    12-22-12 11:44 AM
    Niceeeeeeee
    12-22-12 11:45 AM
    Wow, the added RAM is definitiley a welcome surprise. I hope this comes to be true along with a quad core processor wich I personally don't care about because I believe in software optimization over high end specs but it would at least shut a lot of people up.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    12-22-12 11:54 AM
    Niceeeeeeee
    that total memory is RAM not app storage, app storage is liek the playbook it stores it on its flash memory which is 16GB and has a removable SD card for added storage, though i doubt app data would be able to be placed on SD cards and some games can be rather large filling up 16GB pretty quickly so i'd hope for larger models
    12-22-12 11:56 AM
    1.2GB, says right below under "Free Memory", but keep in mind that games which are like 500MB, 3GB, etc. won't be taken from the RAM, it will be taken from the internal flash storage like the PlayBook. Only part of the game will be taken from the remaining Application Memory. None of the applications take up memory from the RAM, it works more-so how a computer works now-a-days, not longer uses RAM for installing apps, which was a very poor way of doing it, but had to be done due to how OS7 & older was created. So 1.2GB.. That's about 6x what my Bold 9930 has free.. I don't even have many apps installed.. Let's just say that this was both needed, but also, a pleasant surprise
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 12-22-12 at 01:17 PM.
    12-22-12 11:57 AM
    that total memory is RAM not app storage, app storage is liek the playbook it stores it on its flash memory which is 16GB and has a removable SD card for added storage, though i doubt app data would be able to be placed on SD cards and some games can be rather large filling up 16GB pretty quickly so i'd hope for larger models
    Do we know for sure BB10 won't allow app data storage on the card?
    12-22-12 12:03 PM
    Do we know for sure the SD card won't allow app data on the card?
    no we don't but why would it, what if one decides to remove the card and place a new one in, what would happen then? does Android allow for app storage on removable SD cards? i have no i deal this would all be an assumption i'm making
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    12-22-12 12:06 PM
    Zero. That's not what RAM is for.

The 9900 has 768MB of RAM, 768MB of app/OS storage, and 8GB of media storage. It's an old BBOS limitation that the RAM and app/OS storage have to be the same. On the PlayBook (and thus BB10) that rule doesn't exist. So the Z10 has 2GB of RAM and 16GB of app/OS/media storage. There is no separation between app/OS storage and media storage, just like iOS and Android. The SD card adds more media storage but probably adds no app storage. With 16GB (or maybe 32GB) of app/OS storage though it's a lot less necessary than it was on BBOS.

Only part of the game will be taken from the remaining Application Memory.
    No, it doesn't work that way. BB10 has no app vs media partition, and apps have never come out of RAM except when they're running. RAM is wiped clean every time you reboot, but obviously you don't have to reinstall all your apps.
    12-22-12 12:32 PM
    no we don't but why would it, what if one decides to remove the card and place a new one in, what would happen then? does Android allow for app storage on removable SD cards? i have no i deal this would all be an assumption i'm making
    Yes Android does. 90% of my apps on my Nook Color on on the SD card.
    12-22-12 12:34 PM
    I think you quoted the wrong guy, but I know apps will store under the total storage, and not RAM, like how the PlayBook does it now. The extra RAM is just great to prevent apps from closing down on their own and provide overall buttery smoothness!
    12-22-12 12:35 PM
    So now I'm confused. Will I run Into app limits like I used to on previous BBs? Only comparison I have is a 16 gig iPhone is too small for me at least.
    12-22-12 01:06 PM
    Oh, wow. 2gb of RAM, expandable memory, dual HD cameras.
    00stryder, meltbox360 and SiR_JDM like this.
    12-22-12 01:12 PM
    I was actually really hoping for 2GB of RAM, very happy to see this.

So now I'm confused. Will I run Into app limits like I used to on previous BBs? Only comparison I have is a 16 gig iPhone is too small for me at least.
    The system will work in the same way as the iPhone, not like old BlackBerry's. The BB10 OS is not limited to an application storage that is the same size as the RAM. However, unlike the iPhone, I believe the Z10 will have a microSD card slot. I don't think anyone knows if we'll be able to store apps on the SD card, but at the very least you should be able to keep all your media there, freeing up all of the flash memory exclusively for apps.
    12-22-12 01:14 PM
    Zero. That's not what RAM is for.

The 9900 has 768MB of RAM, 768MB of app/OS storage, and 8GB of media storage. It's an old BBOS limitation that the RAM and app/OS storage have to be the same. On the PlayBook (and thus BB10) that rule doesn't exist. So the Z10 has 2GB of RAM and 16GB of app/OS/media storage. There is no separation between app/OS storage and media storage, just like iOS and Android. The SD card adds more media storage but probably adds no app storage. With 16GB (or maybe 32GB) of app/OS storage though it's a lot less necessary than it was on BBOS.

No, it doesn't work that way. BB10 has no app vs media partition, and apps have never come out of RAM except when they're running. RAM is wiped clean every time you reboot, but obviously you don't have to reinstall all your apps.
    Thanks for clearing that up.. I was assuming that's how it worked from using my PlayBook, but was not totally sure as I'm also used to the crappy setup OS7 has on my 9930. I figured saying that would just be safe, but glad to hear that it's this way.. Finally works like a computer does instead of using RAM for the wrong reason. Good on you QNX

I was actually really hoping for 2GB of RAM, very happy to see this.
    Same here, I kinda just accepted that it would be okay with just 1GB of RAM, but in the pit of my stomach, it didn't feel right. Very glad to see this update, will definitely make the phone more competitive, AND increase it's lifespan quite a bit by having double the RAM.

The system will work in the same way as the iPhone, not like old BlackBerry's. The BB10 OS is not limited to an application storage that is the same size as the RAM. However, unlike the iPhone, I believe the Z10 will have a microSD card slot. I don't think anyone knows if we'll be able to store apps on the SD card, but at the very least you should be able to keep all your media there, freeing up all of the flash memory exclusively for apps.
    *This* You cannot compare your experience with your 16GB iPhone to a BB10 phone w/ it's 16GB of internal storage, which I think many are doing after reading this post. Everyone I know with an iPhone has TONS of video, pictures, & music on their iPhone. It's not surprising that the 16GB fills up quickly.. Allowing for less room for actual applications. BB10 is DIFFERENT though.. RIM is being awesome as usual and giving us an SD slot, allowing for maybe even a 64GB SD card (definitely allowing for a 32GB, chances are it will work w/ a 64GB now though, the OS & technology has advanced enough).

So here's the big part.. We can potentially have 80GB of storage on our BB10 phones... How awesome is that? Worse case from this is that 16GB will have to be used for Apps, and the 64GB's will be used for pictures, videos, & music. Is this a bad thing..? How could it be... We are getting options that we can mess around with at a later time over having to decide right off the bat if we want a 16/32/64GB version with no expansion options.. I like the route that RIM is taking & has always took MUCH better than what else is on the market. You can't beat having options and potentially 80GB of storage.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 12-22-12 at 01:26 PM.
    carlyincanada likes this.
    12-22-12 01:15 PM
    I'm curious what's running that the available RAM is down to 1.2. Major PB issue is memory usage. A couple apps and a couple tabs open and you're down to little RAM and apps closing. 2GB should help, but I hope the OS alone isn't using 800MBs. That doesn't bode well for BB10 on PB.
    12-22-12 01:18 PM
    Finally, storage and memory don't share the same space. Been a long time coming....
    12-22-12 01:24 PM
    I'm curious what's running that the available RAM is down to 1.2. Major PB issue is memory usage. A couple apps and a couple tabs open and you're down to little RAM and apps closing. 2GB should help, but I hope the OS alone isn't using 800MBs. That doesn't bode well for BB10 on PB.
    +1. that is a concern for me as well, knowing that my PB doesn't play nice when i have a lot of apps running.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-22-12 01:25 PM
    just saw this and jizzed.

i wonder if the 1.5 ghz, dual core will be upgraded to a quad core... we did the spec sheet with 1gb of ram initially, so who knows, could be a quad core also!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    jimpilot likes this.
    12-22-12 01:28 PM
    +1. that is a concern for me as well, knowing that my PB doesn't play nice when i have a lot of apps running.
    Two things that might make this sound better:

1.) BBOS7 takes up like 300-400MB of RAM as is on our 99x0 phones.
    From this, it's safe to say that the new BB10, running off of QNX will probably take AT-LEAST 500MB of the memory right off the bat.

Now there are two outcomes from this:

1.) The final version of BB10/QNX takes up 800MB of memory, and we have 1.2GB of RAM to just open up apps, etc. likely? not likely. (obvious reasons being that the PB only has 1GB of RAM, and why would they say that they would bring BB10 to existing PlayBooks if that would leave you with just 200GB of available RAM after the OS is installed / OR they would have to remove a lot from the OS to cut it down 300MB or so, giving the PlayBook a half-assed OS with removed features, which they surely would not do, especially with all of the hype that they are trying to build up from it..)

2.) The final version of BB10/QNX takes up a fair amount of maybe 500MB or so, and we have about 1.5GB of RAM to just open up apps and multi-task. Why does this one make sense? Well because in just about EVERY SINGLE BB10 video we have seen leak, there has been at-least 3-4 active frames opened up, even when just waking up the device from sleep, there are ALWAYS active frames opened. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it's at 1.2GB free and that's because there are already 3 or 4 apps opened up in the background. Allowing a maximum of 8 apps open at once, I wouldn't complain with having over a gig free when running half of the allowed apps in the background.
    12-22-12 01:32 PM

i wonder if the 1.5 ghz, dual core will be upgraded to a quad core... we did the spec sheet with 1gb of ram initially, so who knows, could be a quad core also!

Honestly, I was MUCH more worried about having more RAM than having a faster processor. Quad core processors are meant for multitasking, something which BB10 does perfectly already with it's dual core chip. Speed-wise, BB10 dev alphas are running browser tests and loading apps faster than competitors which already have quad core's in their phones. Dual cores are better for graphics rendering (gaming). So really, why throw in a quad core when BB10 doesn't even need it, not to mention, more cores = more power consumption. If BB10 is already dominating in multitasking with it's dual core as the OS is optimized so well, why even throw in a quad core.

Will I be mad if the release device has a quad core? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

BUT

Is it something that I think we should hope for/be disappointing if not? ABSOLUTELY NOT! You should instead be ecstatic that BB10 is destroying it's competition with a dual core, and be excited to see how the BB10 phones utilize more cores in it's future devices, because currently, it's not necessary.
    DJM626, carlyincanada and Gla1ze like this.
    12-22-12 01:36 PM
    I think you quoted the wrong guy, but I know apps will store under the total storage, and not RAM, like how the PlayBook does it now. The extra RAM is just great to prevent apps from closing down on their own and provide overall buttery smoothness!
    oops my bad sorry about that
    12-22-12 01:38 PM
    Sure hope this is true. I really doubt they would be launching phones with the same specs as their dev alpha's from 6-8 months ago.
    gonzo uk likes this.
    12-22-12 03:01 PM
    im sure that they won't make it like the os 7 phones where it installs like that. It's going to install on the 16gb total storage. Of course some of it will be reserved to hold the os and stuff like that but it's going to be like the playbook. Which makes sense.
    mooiben likes this.
    12-22-12 03:06 PM

Can you please keep things like that to yourself.. Thanks...
    12-22-12 03:11 PM
79 123 ...