You know, for all the negativity surrounding BB10, and all the reports by so-called experts, I still think the main problem, apart from the awful behaviour of in-store salespeople, has been the fact that people still have no idea about BB10, and that many people, if not most, don't even know the new phones exist.

With the Christmas period coming up, I'm wondering whether the extremely low price of the Z10, at least in the UK, will convince a lot of people to give it a go. For those of us who own a BB10 phone, it is obvious that actually using BB10 is brilliant.

Will the low prices get the phones in enough new hands this Christmas to start to create a small word of mouth movement? By movement I do not mean huge sales, but a slow and steady increase in BB10 users during 2014.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 11:44 AM
    You know, for all the negativity surrounding BB10, and all the reports by so-called experts, I still think the main problem, apart from the awful behaviour of in-store salespeople, has been the fact that people still have no idea about BB10, and that many people, if not most, don't even know the new phones exist.

With the Christmas period coming up, I'm wondering whether the extremely low price of the Z10, at least in the UK, will convince a lot of people to give it a go. For those of us who own a BB10 phone, it is obvious that actually using BB10 is brilliant.

Will the low prices get the phones in enough new hands this Christmas to start to create a small word of mouth movement? By movement I do not mean huge sales, but a slow and steady increase in BB10 users during 2014.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    NO

Price was a factor at launch... but it wasn't the main reason people don't want BB10 device. So no $199 retail price or even at $99 you are not going to see a huge in rush of users.... and slow and steady is going to work, as BlackBerry can't afford to manufacture and then sell more devices at these prices. It didn't work for the PlayBook.....
    12-12-13 12:04 PM
    Not only the Z. They should also discount the Q.

I'd get a Q if they did. But it's still sitting at 549.
    12-12-13 12:05 PM
    Yeah, the Q10 is absurdly high. It really should have come down for Christmas. Obviously, this is written off Z10 stock, but I feel as though BlackBerry would be better off selling the Q10, Z10, and Q5 very cheaply over the next six months in order to get enough on the market to combat the silly negative image of BB10. I actually think they will sell quite a few at this low price. Hopefully they can clear enough to let us see some traction in the spring and summer when (hopefully) new models come out.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 01:33 PM
    I don't know the exposure level in the UK but since they are not very readily displayed in many US carriers, the price won't do it - there's no chance for hands-on to test and play. Out of sight, out of mind. Unless BB does a remarkable job of advertising/marketing SELLING the damn phone(s), not much change, I suspect.
    12-12-13 04:07 PM
    Based on my own observations (I live on Long Island), I see plenty of Q10s. I hardly see any Z10s, and I've never seen a Q5. I think enterprise users are picking up Q10s, and to some extent, 9900s/9930s so I don't think you'll see big discounts on them. As an example, in the US Verizon is currently selling off contract 9930s for $499, off contract Z10s for $299, and off contract Q10s for $549. Z10s are free on contract, while 9930s are $100 on contract and Q10s are $199 on contract.

I bought an unlocked Z10 for $199 last week from Shop Blackberry because I needed a work phone (that was unlocked so I could use it prepaid or month to month) and that price was too good to pass up. The Z10 could certainly go lower, but I don't expect the Q10 to follow.

I agree that BB needs to sell the Z10s and Q5s cheap to build share. BB should have priced the Z10 as a midlevel device at launch, and had the Q5 priced $100-$199 off contract to prepaid users. They could have sold a ton of Q5s to enterprise users and prepaid phone users if the price was right. Selling the Q10s cheap wouldn't hurt, but based on what I'm seeing, the Q10 appears to be the only phone that BB can get higher prices for.
    12-12-13 05:01 PM
    Well, it's too late for all of that, but I think the failure of BlackBerry to sell a bunch of phones at the launch was down in large part to their lack of understanding that they actually needed to pay for the lack of apps and the toxicity of the brand. They needed to ask how much that was worth in cash - how much would it take for people to get past that and give BB10 a chance? I still think this is a question, but I am not sure it is one they are asking themselves. I think the cheap Z10s are a brilliant idea, and hope we see the price stay low (and for them to be available) for a long while - at least six months. After another few months of BlackBerry still in business, many people will realise that the Z10 is the best phone in the world now for its price, and will take a shot at it.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 10:23 AM
    Well, it's too late for all of that, but I think the failure of BlackBerry to sell a bunch of phones at the launch was down in large part to their lack of understanding that they actually needed to pay for the lack of apps and the toxicity of the brand. They needed to ask how much that was worth in cash - how much would it take for people to get past that and give BB10 a chance? I still think this is a question, but I am not sure it is one they are asking themselves. I think the cheap Z10s are a brilliant idea, and hope we see the price stay low (and for them to be available) for a long while - at least six months. After another few months of BlackBerry still in business, many people will realise that the Z10 is the best phone in the world now for its price, and will take a shot at it.

Posted via CB10
    Excellent points. They dropped the Z10 (and q10) into a market where the BIG guys already had established reputations as well as a very plentiful app market. A new OS meant not only were outsiders looking in asking about apps but even diehard BB users were in the same position. Start from scratch. They charged a very premium price for a very unknown quantity. They did not do a good job of selling Tech Reviewers or Carriers and carriers sales' people.

A lot can probably be learned in Business School about what transpired.
    12-13-13 03:19 PM