I use my Z10 and Sportrate when I "run" to keep track of miles, ect. If I get a Passport and want to carry the smaller Z10, will the GPS still work on a Z10 that is not connected to a network?
    10-27-14 01:28 PM
    The GPS will always acquire a position, but it needs a map to show you where that position is in some meaningful way. So, you need a program (app) that will access maps on your SD card and not need to be "triggered" by a SIM. (Contrarily, you don't need GPS on if your cell network is on, to acquire a position as it can be done by tower "triangulation", though the Z10 always turns it on anyway).
    No it won't -- the GPS requires a network signal.
    10-27-14 01:35 PM
    No sorry I don't think so, it needs network connection for that I believe.
    10-27-14 01:35 PM
    What?.. I use my z10 without a sim card all the time when using Cascarun. No issues. The only thing I don't get is the downloading of the maps. Everything else is collected. Once I get to Wifi or hot spot connection.. it'll download all the maps for my record. So I'm going to say you don't need a network connection for the GPS signal to work and you shouldn't unless the dev has written the program that way.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-27-14 01:45 PM
    I just downloaded the free version of Sportrate on my Passport and went outside to test. With mobile network off, and no WiFi, the GPS could not acquire a position. This may be different with the paid version.

Let's see if someone with the paid version can chime in with their experience.
    10-27-14 02:15 PM
    Try fitness tracker or sideload runkeeper or strava. The gps in the Z10 doesn't need a data connection or cell connection to work.
    Only for uploading to the cloud...

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 01:01 AM
    The GPS will always acquire a position, but it needs a map to show you where that position is in some meaningful way. So, you need a program (app) that will access maps on your SD card and not need to be "triggered" by a SIM. (Contrarily, you don't need GPS on if your cell network is on, to acquire a position as it can be done by tower "triangulation", though the Z10 always turns it on anyway).
    10-28-14 07:36 AM
    I use Nogago Track on my hikes and I go into Airplane mode since there are no signals or reception in the backcountry. (leaving data or phone connections on when there is no signal kills the battery in no time). I get a great track and can even see the track PATTERN. But can't do more with it until I regain the various radios. Once within data or cell signal range I can view a map and I can email the track.

The red track was created and viewable while the Z10 was in Airplane Mode (no radios, other than gps reception). But no map could be seen. Now that I'm home (or when I regained signals), the map is downloaded.

Will my Z10 still work as a fitness tracker if I move to a Passport?-img_20141028_071138.jpg
    10-28-14 09:17 AM
    I use my Z10 and Sportrate when I "run" to keep track of miles, ect. If I get a Passport and want to carry the smaller Z10, will the GPS still work on a Z10 that is not connected to a network?
    Yeah it'll work, GPS is not dependent on mobile network.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 09:20 AM
    Yup but tower triangulation only gives a very rough approximate of your location which is way the GPS is also turned on so you can get a more precise reading.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 09:23 AM
    Thanks to everyone for their helpful posts. The great comments remind me of how helpful the WebOS forums were (and still are). I'm going to look at an old Amphipod runner pouch I have to see if it will be big enough for a Passport. I use a smaller one when I run for my naked Z10.
    10-28-14 09:29 AM