You guys know that blackberry protect option on the phone doesn't work unless your z10 is connected to the internet. So what if someone steals my phone, wipes it, sell it, and another person signs up with a new BlackBerry ID then connects the phone to the internet. Will I still be able to locate my phone vis protect.blackberry.com ?

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 02:25 AM
    If CIA found Bin Laden, there is still possibility that your stolen Z10 can be located once it is connected to internet or even when it is use as normal mobile phone... the service provider can be a big help for this instance...

Posted via Z10
    05-01-13 02:35 AM
    I don't have a password for my BlackBerry. If the person who found my phone is savvy enough and has no intention of returning my phone, he/she could just turn BlackBerry protect off. In which case, goodbye my beloved Z10.
    05-01-13 02:38 AM
    I don't have a password for my BlackBerry. If the person who found my phone is savvy enough and has no intention of returning my phone, he/she could just turn BlackBerry protect off. In which case, goodbye my beloved Z10.
    Well that's your own problem then, isn't it.

Posted via CB10
    brout likes this.
    05-01-13 02:53 AM
    You can remotely lock your screen then put a display screen message then threaten him/ her. Then locate your device. Then turn an alarm on him.

And I think BlackBerry could easily make it a bit harder for the thief to turn our BlackBerry Protect off. Asking password to turn it off for instance. I don't know why didn't BlackBerry do it.
    05-01-13 03:16 AM
    If a person steals your phone all they need to do is rip out the battery

Kah
    05-01-13 04:31 AM
    If you have a password on the Z10, it stays even if you reload the OS - so if you have a password on the Z10 it makes the phone worthless without the password.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 04:59 AM
    I think all that security services are seriously flawed, whether it be "Find my iPhone" or "Blackberry protect". They are useful if the thief is stupid enough not to turn off your device. For iPhone you can even turn off the device without having to key in the passcode, for blackberry they can just take the battery out.
    The real protection should have come from the operator, all our new phones' IMEI should be registered under our name, and when you sell it, you both have to go to the operator to release/transfer the ownership. So when your phone is stolen, whoever the phone is registered under has the right to block it from use.
    All the "blocked IMEI" list should be accessible to all operators worldwide, so it will be blocked to connect to any operator worldwide, and also accessible to anyone who is looking to buy a used phone (sort of like carfax).
    It's a hassle, but i think it is way more effective than the current system, where you can just turn it off.. and then reload the software later on, and sell it.
    05-01-13 05:45 AM
    The real protection should have come from the operator, all our new phones' IMEI should be registered under our name, and when you sell it, you both have to go to the operator to release/transfer the ownership. So when your phone is stolen, whoever the phone is registered under has the right to block it from use.
    This is one of very few benefits of having Verizon. If you call and report your phone stolen, they will block your IMEI. Removing it from that list is damn near impossible.

That being said, I'm not sure how it works with a global phone...

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 07:19 AM
    Well apparently I tried it. You need to know your BlackBerry ID password to turn it off Gives you time to remotely lock and then locate your phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 07:23 AM
    Well that's your own problem then, isn't it.

Posted via CB10
    Com'mon, man....Really!!!
    05-01-13 07:26 AM
    Again, it is possible to locate your stolen phone once it is used... we have the technology to do that... but the cost of finding it is more than buying a new one... better to protect it through insurance instead...

Posted via Z10
    05-01-13 08:10 AM
    Well apparently I tried it. You need to know your BlackBerry ID password to turn it off Gives you time to remotely lock and then locate your phone.

Posted via CB10
    Oh really? I didn't know that. Lol. Apparently good job by BlackBerry. Lol.
    05-01-13 09:43 AM
    You can't just turn BlackBerry Protect off. It'll prompt you for a password.

I don't wish to jinx my luck but I can't see losing my phone because I am always holding it. I can't seem to put it down.

Ahh I freaking love typing on this phone!

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 09:51 AM
    Com'mon, man....Really!!!
    Well I looked at his other posts. He's not a bona fide troll so I'm just gonna ignore him. Maybe something was just pissing him off.

In any case, thanks for standing up for me

I tried switching BlackBerry protect off, and they asked for my BlackBerry ID password. So that's not too bad . Of course a real determined guy can get by any obstacles put in place before him/her as some others have mentioned.
    05-01-13 09:54 AM
    If a person steals your phone all they need to do is rip out the battery

Kah
    Don't they eventually need to put the battery back to use the dang thing?
    05-01-13 09:56 AM
    Yes they do, but they can took out the SIM first so it won't be connected to the internet, and then they can begin to completely wipe the whole OS and restore it back to the factory settings right? Then by default no BBID is associated with the device after a brand new OS is reloaded into your hardware, hence BB Protect is deactivated.
    I don't know how it works exactly with BB10 per se, in previous BBs you can completely wipe the OS using tools like bbsak.. or in iDevice you can actually restore the phone through DFU mode that actually bypass the device passcode. My sister lost her iPhone once, the minute she realized the phone was stolen, she BBMed me to log into her iCloud account to locate her phone. The phone was never detected, so it is safe to assume whoever stole it turned it off right after he/she got it, then wiped the device clean and reload a new OS.
    Maybe BB10 has better implementation regarding this issue, so if anyone know any better, please correct me
    Actually since blackberrys are also using PIN, blackberry should also be able to block the stolen devices' PIN so they cannot access anything that uses the PIN (ie. BBM). I think that would deter thieves not to steal a blackberry since nobody wants to buy a blackberry with blocked PIN right?
    05-01-13 12:07 PM
    Yes they do, but they can took out the SIM first so it won't be connected to the internet, and then they can begin to completely wipe the whole OS and restore it back to the factory settings right? Then by default no BBID is associated with the device after a brand new OS is reloaded into your hardware, hence BB Protect is deactivated.
    I don't know how it works exactly with BB10 per se, in previous BBs you can completely wipe the OS using tools like bbsak.. or in iDevice you can actually restore the phone through DFU mode that actually bypass the device passcode. My sister lost her iPhone once, the minute she realized the phone was stolen, she BBMed me to log into her iCloud account to locate her phone. The phone was never detected, so it is safe to assume whoever stole it turned it off right after he/she got it, then wiped the device clean and reload a new OS.
    Maybe BB10 has better implementation regarding this issue, so if anyone know any better, please correct me
    Actually since blackberrys are also using PIN, blackberry should also be able to block the stolen devices' PIN so they cannot access anything that uses the PIN (ie. BBM). I think that would deter thieves not to steal a blackberry since nobody wants to buy a blackberry with blocked PIN right?
    Conventionally reinstalling the OS on a Z10 retains the device password - which can be set via BlackBerry protect.
    Now I don't know if you can bypass the password - only if you can induce a security wipe of the device - plus, I think BlackBerry Protect will work off the Pin rather than the ID when it comes to locating the device - at least I hope so.
    I would make little sense otherwise. I bleibe the I'd is needs to pair the device only.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 12:15 PM
    If CIA found Bin Laden, there is still possibility that your stolen Z10 can be located once it is connected to internet or even when it is use as normal mobile phone... the service provider can be a big help for this instance...

Posted via Z10
    whats funny is... they never really found him O_o
    05-01-13 12:20 PM
    I know it will wipe if you enter the wrong password and if you bypass and reinstall like it is bricked you will have no previous data on the phone, but, it would be nice if you could log onto BlackBerry Protect and if phone is off set it to sound alarm on phone and locate when turned on again regardless of wiping or not... being as pin does not change it should be doable

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 12:25 PM
    Will you be able to locate your Z10 after being stolen? Yes just reach into your pocket and it should be there, then you can phone and report the bad people who stole you - lol sorry I tried to resist but I couldn't

Posted via CB10
    a1s2d3f4g5 and easydoesit99 like this.
    05-01-13 12:41 PM
    This is why I use encryption on my media card and my device, as well as use a password. I've already resided to the fact that if my phone is stolen, I likely won't get it back. What's important is my information that is on my phone is safe. Password protection and encryption ensures this for me - someone steals my phone, they end up wiping it because they can't figure out my password, which means all my device data is gone and they won't get it. It also makes my media card useless until it is wiped. Also means my personal items are not stolen.

My pictures and files might not mean much to someone else, but that doesn't mean I want them to have unfettered access to them.

JB
    05-01-13 01:15 PM
    I don't get how BlackBerry Protect is so slow.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 01:58 PM
    Yeah it's called making you inaccessible via gps during that hot time frame when the person is obviously going to be trying to track the phone... where later on the person can negate services and put a fresh Os on

Kah
    05-01-13 02:50 PM
    Just a side note - after reloading the latest leak, my Z10 still remembered its password BUT the BlackBerry ID setup came before that... so in am not sure what would happen if I were to change the ID.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 05:04 PM
40 12