With government agencies and businesses pouring over blackberry devices and OS because of its security, my question is, will blackberry ever see a security breach or hack in their systems? Are they prepared for such circumstances?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:03 PM
    BBRY isn't Target I'll tell you that...
    01-21-14 06:07 PM
    BlackBerry is (they represent themselves) very security aware company. They invest a lot in data protection and I imagine that they have good security team on standby for eventual cases of big security breach.
    And if they don't, they definitely should have, because security is their only advantage over others, if they lose that they lost everything.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:28 PM
    Eventually. Smart people like to do smart things. BlackBerry is a challenge to be hacked. Lots of value in secure information when you can hold companies for random.

Posted via CB10
    Barljo likes this.
    01-21-14 06:30 PM
    All companies and organisations are susceptible however you hope they are protected against the hobby-hacker.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:31 PM
    There was a lot of controversy recently regarding the NSA spying on the German Chancellors cellular. She uses BlackBerry.

The whole thing was swept away quickly. I doubt that we will ever know the truth.
    Balti43 likes this.
    01-21-14 07:21 PM
    If you want to get a bit of a feel for what BlackBerry does to stay ahead of the hackers follow @BBSIRT on twitter.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 07:23 PM
    There was that one "rooting", so to speak, of the PlayBook OS some time back.

Remember DingleBerry?

That didn't last long as BlackBerry patched it pretty quickly. I'm not sure the OS that was rooted was even in official release yet at the time.

The guy who wrote the hack has since threw in the towel, and given up trying.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 07:28 PM
    There was a lot of controversy recently regarding the NSA spying on the German Chancellors cellular. She uses BlackBerry.

The whole thing was swept away quickly. I doubt that we will ever know the truth.
    I think the phone they spied on was not a BlackBerry at the time, but her personal Nokia. She has since switched to a special locked down Z10 on BES.

Posted via CB10
    Barljo likes this.
    01-21-14 07:31 PM
    I think the phone they spied on was not a BlackBerry at the time, but her personal Nokia. She has since switched to a special locked down Z10 on BES.

Posted via CB10
    German Chancellor's BlackBerry Likely Withstood NSA Tapping: Vendor

Interesting read I would say. My argument on security is that if it's not end to end it's not secure.
    ami.one, Balti43 and laketrout73 like this.
    01-21-14 08:33 PM
    Most security (encryption and passwords) are really only deterrents. They are meant to be broken.

Blackberry has many potential vulnerabilities - many less than the competitors.

It's just a matter of time. But at least we have the knowledge that the damage is as minimal as possible because of the platform.

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-21-14 08:37 PM
    "Ever" is a long time, so yes.

They also have had vulnerabilities in their system before. They are just usually very quick to patch it up.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 09:00 PM
    I think context is key. Will someone ever hack a blackberry blog? Yes they already have, nobody cared. Will someone hack into a BES system? Of course they will, many probably already have but they had to get the password first. The reason blackberry security is so good is because not even blackberry has access to the data, only the user does. BlackBerry cannot read your BES email, your employer can, another employee can snoop over your shoulder and guess your password... but that is the only way to "hack" it.

If you use the security features on your device then your local content is good to go and can't be jacked from your phone but that is the limit of it as far as I understand for us non bes users. I am of the opinion that we should be careful what permissions we give our apps.

As far as PlayBook rooting goes, that is legit, but remember that is something that YOU would do to YOUR PlayBook on purpose. It shouldn't have been possible but technically side loading is a security risk, android apps are all Trojans as far as I am concerned and we are all doing that now. So rooting although a security flaw, it isn't what is being done on purpose now.

Posted via CB10
    ami.one likes this.
    01-21-14 09:02 PM
    Who cares? Stop being so paranoid for god's sake.

Posted Via Z10
    01-21-14 09:16 PM
    Actually, the thing is BB has sandboxed the android runtime so no matter how messed up it gets, it will not affect the QNX system
    As for rooting, it wasn't possible OTA, it had to be connected via usb to the computer, and even then, there wasn't much you could actually accomplish
    BB is known for its security, and it's not going to be beat out in this department for a long long time. No one can compare. Many had tried, but they just ended up as laughing stocks, like Samsung's most recent attempts
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-21-14 10:56 PM
    Just stay with BlackBerry and you'll have nothing to worry about. I won't lose any sleep over what is on my phone anyways. Word of advice. A cell phone was invented to have Mobile telephone. Not to keep your life's story on it, or your business details on.

Posted Via Z10
    01-21-14 11:08 PM

I swear her device had a MicroSD which contained security something or another? :/ And her device was spied on by a wiretap.. GSM was hacked in 2008 or something. Cloning a sim card isn't very hard also... Many ways of spying on a person where the device isn't involved

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 11:12 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is NSA proof.

Just to give you an example on how secure (Most secure consumer devices on the planet) BB10 is, the only way the NSA or any other hacker and/or organisation can access the users information is by asking BlackBerry to release such documents period.

It took the NSA days to hack Android and about a week to hack iOS. As for BBOS, the NSA claimed it took them over 1 year to hack it, despite BlackBerry denying it for obvious reasons. And now with BB10's superior security, it will take them years to get near it IMO.
    01-21-14 11:24 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is NSA proof.

Just to give you an example on how secure (Most secure consumer devices on the planet) BB10 is, the only way the NSA or any other hacker and/or organisation can access the users information is by asking BlackBerry to release such documents period.

It took the NSA days to hack Android and about a week to hack iOS. As for BBOS, the NSA claimed it took them over 1 year to hack it, despite BlackBerry denying it for obvious reasons. And now with BB10's superior security, it will take them years to get near it IMO.
    Nothing that connects to the internet is secure.

Communication initiated on a BB10 device is just as easily intercepted as any other platform.
    01-21-14 11:55 PM
    Nothing is 100% in a network environment. But, and this is a big but, there are way of doing stuff that have more security that other, and blackberry is king in the mobile department.

Is like a car, no car is "death proof", but I'm sure that if you have a crash, you'll rather be in the safest car possible to increase your chances.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-22-14 12:09 AM
    Nothing that connects to the internet is secure.

Communication initiated on a BB10 device is just as easily intercepted as any other platform.
    Wrong, a BB10 connected via BES10 is secure as they come. And un-hackable. A BB10 not connected is what you are talking about.
    01-22-14 12:48 AM
    Hello, I guess you dont need to worry about this at all. If you are really concerned about it, go for double security, go for a VPN. it will enhance your security x2 times.
    01-22-14 12:54 AM
    Talk about paranoia over spousal cheating texts and emails. Must be why everyone talks about this. Some very paranoid people out there.

Posted Via Z10
    01-22-14 06:26 AM
    There was that Globe and Mail article someone referenced the other day that, RIM (then)/BB used some algorithm pushed by the NSA and that it is defective.

So don't count on the security. It may just be the NSA saying "we can't break in" so that folks don't suspect that NSA CAN break in!!!
    01-22-14 09:09 AM
    There was that Globe and Mail article someone referenced the other day that, RIM (then)/BB used some algorithm pushed by the NSA and that it is defective.

So don't count on the security. It may just be the NSA saying "we can't break in" so that folks don't suspect that NSA CAN break in!!!
    BlackBerry has already come out with a statement saying they don't use the referenced algorithm from that article.
    There's a post about that already.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 09:22 AM
35 12