Just curious... I've read a lot if threads here about sideloading android apps.
    I've never been real confident in myself for trying something like this for fear of messing something up.
    Will we ever be able to simply hit the download button and just download the app without having to do the bar file, debug(whatever a debug token is) and all that stuff?
    Ice watched the YouTube videos to see how to do it.
    Still not brave enough to try.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 06:44 PM
    Just curious... I've read a lot if threads here about sideloading android apps.
    I've never been real confident in myself for trying something like this for fear of messing something up.
    Will we ever be able to simply hit the download button and just download the app without having to do the bar file, debug(whatever a debug token is) and all that stuff?
    Ice watched the YouTube videos to see how to do it.
    Still not brave enough to try.

Posted via CB10
    If it comes to BlackBerry World, yes. However, enough work has been done on the current process to simplify it into a few clicks.
    08-30-13 06:46 PM
    There's nothing hard about it, it's plain and simple. I'm sure someone might create a free version of the OTA method

The Gamer's Network- C00015A3 || From my Z on .1047
    08-30-13 06:46 PM
    Not sure about ever hitting download from the Play Store because of a number of legal and copyright issues. That and Google would never go for that.

Installing side loads using the new unlocked run time is incredibly easy. If you've ever dragged and dropped files to burn a cd or dvd, you can side load. Too easy not to do and you will not mess up your phone. BlackBerry included the functionality because it works and expands your app selection exponentially.

Tapped out on Halle (Black)Berry aka Z10 running 10.2.0.1371
    08-30-13 06:47 PM
    There are plenty of Android apps in BlackBerry World where the developer has converted the apk file to bar and submitted them. It's just the apps that haven't been officially submitted to BlackBerry World that need to be side loaded.

You won't find Google giving BlackBerry access to the Play Store. First off, the Andriod Player doesn't confirm to their requirements, and the Google Framework isn't built into the player for account access. Plus, the files need to be converted to bar format to be installed.

It's really not that difficult to side load apps. It can seem daunting at first, but after you get everything set up, adding new apps is a breeze.
    08-31-13 12:49 AM
    Don't count on it happening

Trusted Member
    08-31-13 05:18 AM
    Yup it's not like blackberry can just start using the android market out of the blue.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Support your local paramedics run with scissor.
    08-31-13 11:36 AM
    So help me understand... BlackBerry users can run android apps. it seems everyone including Google knows this... but if BlackBerry users do it indirectly, it's ok, but go to the play store and it's illegal?

I just don't get it......

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 11:46 AM
    The play store isn't a public thing, it's for Android only. It's an exclusive thing

The Gamer's Network- C00015A3 || From my Z on .1047
    08-31-13 11:54 AM
    Ok. I get that it's not a public thing.

BlackBerry 10 is being sold to people with the knowledge that they can download android apps. BlackBerry did this for a reason. To appeal to a broader market, am I right? So, if Google knows that their apps can work on a BlackBerry, why is ok with them that their apps get sideloaded on BlackBerrys and not just let BlackBerry users go straight to downloading the apps?

My whole point in all of this is this: I'm probably not the only technophobe out there that gets intimidated by electronics. So, I rely on the tech savvy to make my gadgets work. If others like me think that the BlackBerry 10 devices are only for the tech savvy, would that not scare potential buyers away?

To be completely honest, when I bought my phone, one of the selling features was being able to run android apps. I thought it was going to be just a plug and play thing. The other reason I bought it was for a bigger screen, so I wouldn't have to horse around with my glasses when my hands are dirty. And of course the reception of the telephone.

Sorry if I'm a doofus when it comes to tech stuff. What seems obvious to some, is tough for me. I'm trying to learn..

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 12:32 PM
    It's not unreasonable or out of the question for BlackBerry to come up with a way to allow direct download of Android apps. After all, Android is open source ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andro...rating_system)).

It seems like a couple of things would need for happen...

1). BlackBerry devices would need to be certified: (Even though the software is open-source, device manufacturers cannot use Google's Android trademark unless Google certifies that the device complies with their Compatibility Definition Document (CDD). Devices must also meet this definition to be eligible to license Google's closed-source applications, including Google Play.)

2. BlackBerry would need to convert the apk files to bar files as part of the installation process. Or...BlackBerry devices would need to be able to run apk files directly.

It would be great if this would happen and Google Play comes to BlackBerry. Although I do prefer native apps...

Keith H. Posted via CB10
    PostMortem likes this.
    08-31-13 01:11 PM
    So help me understand... BlackBerry users can run android apps. it seems everyone including Google knows this... but if BlackBerry users do it indirectly, it's ok, but go to the play store and it's illegal?

I just don't get it......

Posted via CB10
    It's not illegal it just isn't allowed.
    08-31-13 01:35 PM
    It's not unreasonable or out of the question for BlackBerry to come up with a way to allow direct download of Android apps. After all, Android is open source ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andro...rating_system)).

It seems like a couple of things would need for happen...

1). BlackBerry devices would need to be certified: (Even though the software is open-source, device manufacturers cannot use Google's Android trademark unless Google certifies that the device complies with their Compatibility Definition Document (CDD). Devices must also meet this definition to be eligible to license Google's closed-source applications, including Google Play.)

2. BlackBerry would need to convert the apk files to bar files as part of the installation process. Or...BlackBerry devices would need to be able to run apk files directly.

It would be great if this would happen and Google Play comes to BlackBerry. Although I do prefer native apps...

Keith H. Posted via CB10
    I agree... if the idea is to get Android apps on BlackBerry, then that would need to happen. however the current method -though not plug and play simple, works acceptably to the tech savvy.

I can understand where some can be frustrated trying to do it. Once they do it once though, they realized how simple it is to do.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 02:49 PM
    There is an APP called SideSwype
    You need to sideload it but once you do you can use it to convert and download APK files directly to your BB 10. But need to pay for the amount of APPS you download.

I found side loading easier but can be a help for those who are reluctant to try
    Posted from the best mobile device Z10
    08-31-13 02:56 PM
    No as some devs will port some into BlackBerry world.

Sideloading is easy to do, so easy a 6 year old can do it, seriously.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 03:03 PM
    If the author of an Android app wants you to have the fruits of his work on an a Blackberry then he will submit it to Blackberry World. It's that simple actually and no one should feel they are entitled to an Android app otherwise. Sure there are sites that taking requests for apk to bar conversions but that doesn't mean you have the app creator's blessing to use his app even if its free on Play Store.
    08-31-13 03:06 PM
    So if an app developer doesn't want BlackBerry users to use their app, then BlackBerry users are out of luck then? I don't understand why they would want to do that if their goal is to appeal to a broader market, and the conversion is simple.
    To me, if I selling a prime rib roast, I don't care what kind of stove they cook it in. Just as long as they buy their roast from me.
    Just as long as I am willing to provide instructions on he preparation of it, that seems to keep a lot of customers coming back.
    This is where BlackBerry is right now, am I mot mistaken? They are trying to get customers back. So why jot make something easy to do if they are able to do it?
    Or am I still missing the point?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 03:53 PM
    Ok. I get that it's not a public thing.

BlackBerry 10 is being sold to people with the knowledge that they can download android apps. BlackBerry did this for a reason. To appeal to a broader market, am I right? So, if Google knows that their apps can work on a BlackBerry, why is ok with them that their apps get sideloaded on BlackBerrys and not just let BlackBerry users go straight to downloading the apps?

Posted via CB10
    This is where you are mistaken. I'll bet you you can not send me any official BlackBerry marketing or documents that says you can run any android app. The player was set up to allow android developers to easily port their programmes to BB10 and offer them through BlackBerry World. Side loading takes advantage of development tools to take someone's property without their knowledge or consent and use it for your own purposes. I will further bet you that any side loaded application you have on your phone probably got there by someone breaking the terms of service agreement somewhere.

Many people enjoy the benefits of side loading, but don't mistake it for an official feature of the product.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 04:50 PM
    If this isn't allowed, then it's a huge problem, isn't it? I don't want to steal anyone's work. They worked for it, they should be compensated for it.
    So why are so many people on here stealing apps, then? And why is BlackBerry giving people the tools to do it?
    This tech world is like the wild west if sideloading is slang for app theft.....and it's all ok?
    I'm starting to be glad I'm simple.

Posted via CB10
    helio9965 likes this.
    08-31-13 05:02 PM
    I wish there was away to run Android OS 4.2 fully on the z10 and q10.

This way sideloading will never be needed.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 05:30 PM
    If this isn't allowed, then it's a huge problem, isn't it? I don't want to steal anyone's work. They worked for it, they should be compensated for it.
    So why are so many people on here stealing apps, then? And why is BlackBerry giving people the tools to do it?
    This tech world is like the wild west if sideloading is slang for app theft.....and it's all ok?
    I'm starting to be glad I'm simple.

Posted via CB10
    Just where do you get off calling people thieves, eh? Are you telling me that it is different for me to download an app to an Android phone and NOT pay one red cent than downloading an app to my BlackBerry and NOT pay one red cent?
    I've got Temple Run 2 side loaded on my phone, but let me tell you, if the developer brought it to BlackBerry World I would purchase it in a heartbeat.

Posted via CB10 on my ZedTen!
    08-31-13 07:41 PM
    Just where do you get off calling people thieves, eh? Are you telling me that it is different for me to download an app to an Android phone and NOT pay one red cent than downloading an app to my BlackBerry and NOT pay one red cent?
    I've got Temple Run 2 side loaded on my phone, but let me tell you, if the developer brought it to BlackBerry World I would purchase it in a heartbeat.

What OS you running?

And what version of temple run 2 as I would love to have it.

If it's OS 10.2 well i will wait then for official, but plz provide the version of temple run 2

Thks

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 07:43 PM
    What OS you running?

And what version of temple run 2 as I would love to have it.

If it's OS 10.2 well i will wait then for official, but plz provide the version of temple run 2

Thks

Posted via CB10
    Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    Running unlocked runtime.
    Temple Run 2 1.4.1 bar obtained from bb10bars.net.

08-31-13 08:00 PM
    Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    Running unlocked runtime.
    Temple Run 2 1.4.1 bar obtained from bb10bars.net.

Ok thks I will wait for official OS 10.2

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 08:05 PM
    And why is BlackBerry giving people the tools to do it?

Posted via CB10
    Would you ask why hardware stores would sell people bolt cutters so they can steal bikes?

BlackBerry provides those tools so developers can convert their applications to run on BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 09:29 PM
30 12