Does the Z10 have the ability to create a WIFI Hotspot? I do this with my Galaxy Nexus all the time and can then connect other devices to my "network". Also, if so, does it circumvent carrier billing?
    02-05-13 02:35 PM
    Does the Z10 have the ability to create a WIFI Hotspot? I do this with my Galaxy Nexus all the time and can then connect other devices to my "network". Also, if so, does it circumvent carrier billing?
    Are you serious right now? Shows how some people on this forum just flame blackberry without informed facts.

To your question @xweb10 (to answer you politely), yes it does have Wifi hotspot, even OS 7.1 has this capability. You should have just done a search instead of creating a new thread.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    02-05-13 02:44 PM
    Yes it has the ability to create WiFi Hotspots that even work over 4G LTE. As far as I know it supports up to 5 devices.
    xweb10 likes this.
    02-05-13 02:50 PM
    Are you serious right now? Shows how some people on this forum just flame blackberry without informed facts.

To your question @xweb10 (to answer you politely), yes it does have Wifi hotspot, even OS 7.1 has this capability. You should have just done a search instead of creating a new thread.
    what was wrong with his question? he didnt slam anyone or anything? All you had to do is say yes the z10 has wifi hotspot.
    Icarus3000, Boight, xweb10 and 4 others like this.
    02-05-13 02:50 PM
    what was wrong with his question? he didnt slam anyone or anything? All you had to do is say yes the z10 has wifi hotspot.
    I agree hayorD was a bit harsh. But I do feel him. Some of us when not in mood believe everyone is coming to troll BlackBerry 10. Specially that many are considering moving from other platforms to Z10 now and they never had an account so they create new ones which we unfortunately think they joined to troll :/.
    02-05-13 02:52 PM
    Thank you for the responses. I was not flaming. I did not remember my old Storm 2 being able to to this as I think I used the Tether app, but that was a while ago. I am doing research for the USA release by asking questions. I am trying to make sure the BB10 can do what my current phone can do (and more!). Nothing else meant by my harmless question. I like that I can create a hotspot and not be metered by my carrier.
    R Field and GlennJake like this.
    02-05-13 02:53 PM
    lol. sounds like people been saying mean things to you about ur new blackberry all day.

I cant wait to pick mine up this afternoon after work

coming from 9700, its good to hear that it has wifi hotspot
    R Field likes this.
    02-05-13 02:53 PM
    Personally I hope the WiFi Hotspot on the Z10 "Doesn't respect the Carrier". I am fed up of my carrier blocking the Hotspot on my iPhone 4S (It's fine on my Bold 9900). They keep claiming they are working with Apple to enable it but I know it's all lies. That's why I hope the Z10 forces the Hotspot on them as OS 7.1
    xweb10 likes this.
    02-05-13 03:04 PM
    Not saying he slammed or did anything of that nature. I'm just surprised he asked that question without actually doing a search. I'm sorry if that was harsh.

Just saying that's how some people are. Slam things without facts or actually making use of the product
    02-05-13 03:08 PM
    Thank you for the responses. I was not flaming. I did not remember my old Storm 2 being able to to this as I think I used the Tether app, but that was a while ago. I am doing research for the USA release by asking questions. I am trying to make sure the BB10 can do what my current phone can do (and more!). Nothing else meant by my harmless question. I like that I can create a hotspot and not be metered by my carrier.
    I'm sorry if I was harsh. By the way, I didn't mean you were flaming/slamming the phone, my bad!
    howarmat, M.Rizk and xweb10 like this.
    02-05-13 03:12 PM
    Hi!
    Is it possible to use the hotspot when the phone is using a WIFI connection and not it's own 3G/4G? I would like to try and get more than one PC connected to the phone hotspot which in turn is connected to a public WIFI.
    When I try it disconnects the public WIFI connection and then asks me to connect up to my 3G.

Thanks
    Stuart
    03-10-13 07:50 AM
    Hi!
    Is it possible to use the hotspot when the phone is using a WIFI connection and not it's own 3G/4G?Stuart
    No, turning on Wi-Fi will turn off Mobile Hotspot. I was told my carrier "Telus" adds this hotspot data to the subscribed data limit. Haven't used it yet, but it makes sense.
    03-10-13 08:10 AM
    Thanks Boight. I thought this would be the case, if someone could create a way around this with some software they probably could make a fair bit money from it.

Cheers!

Stuart
    03-10-13 08:21 AM
    I know that this might be a little late to throw out to the forum, but I have been following for awhile. My ATT plan is unlimited, grandfathered in from 2 previous plans (8310 -> 9800 -> z10). I found out that Mobile HotSpot is disabled on my phone, BUT can be activated with a catch. I loose the unlimited data plan and get restricted to 2gb or 5gb limit. No thank you. First thing I did after I found out, downloaded the Z10 sim (VMWare), the NDK (Native Dev Kit), Signed up to be a developer, and got my signing codes. I started shuffling through the codes, examples, samples. The files used for WIFI communication have been restricted. The only calls that can be made to the wifi are Status, On/Off, and Information. The WIFIConnectionListener, and WIFIConnect features have been stripped out on purpose. No 3rd party app can 'control' the wifi communication. I have given myself 1 month to complete some head way on getting a teather, wifi hotspot to work, and so far I have only a week left before my time is up. Here are some various things I have attempted and tried and I hope my research will help:

1) got the side loader, downloaded .apk files for android hotspots, converted to .bar files using Good E Reader's online conversion kit, loaded into bb. 7 different ones were tried, non of them can control the wifi, BUT somthing interesting was found.... the only wifi network that will show up is called "Blackberry WIFI Network" This is not an SSID. I believe its being fed to the applications requesting wifi communications.

2) tried 'reverse' wifi. Created Access point on Windows 7 x64 laptop by using command line, "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=MyBBHS key=passphrase keyUsage=persistent" then "start hostednetwork" (run as administrator or you will get denied), this created an ap for my phone to connect to. Once connected, I used WireShark to listen to the traffic (packets) lots of request for emails pushes, and an occasional http request. I tried setting the DNS and Gateway of the MyBB to the Blackberrys assigned address, but it just discconnects once the traffic started flowing back to it.

3) attempted to change the APN of my blackberry, this was a complete flop. The APN is grayed out (found answers in different forum)

I am still bound and determined to get pass the wifi restrictions. it seems like this would make a great cause for a class action lawsuit, but it is RIM and they have proprietary rights in the end. If I fail in the wifi, my next task will be making a windows 7 network driver that communicates through bluetooth. This is not a subject I have dabbled in nor does it give multiple connections to the phone, BUT it would save my Unlimited plan.

If there is anyone out there in pursuit of the same end result as me, please contact. There is a single rule that I must follow. This is a company phone, and can not be rooted, jail breaked, or hacked. I am and administrator of my companies Blackberry Enterprise Server (9 and below, and 10 and up) If you are just starting with NDK, and know how to manipulate code, try the "Touch Sensor" example for getting communications over wifi connections. This may have a certain appeal to it because in the example, when you touch the screen, it will send events over wifi to your NDK and show on your console when the screen is TouchDown, Move, Released, and Swipted down. Thinking along these lines, you could make an app that sends/recieves via wifi, and proxies through data (mobile) this would make it possible to create an AP using the NETSH command, connect your phone to it so it would communicate over the wifi, and stay connected to your mobile data plan.

Thank you for listening to me, and I hope this information helps someone.
    easydoesit99 and kbz1960 like this.
    05-16-13 08:36 PM
    I just purchased the BlackBerry Z10 STL100-3 Model RFK121LW Carrier Unbranded and Factory Unlocked in the color white to use on T-Mobile. I hope the Wi-Fi Hotspot feature isn't disabled like on the Nokia Lumia 810. I will report back later once the device has arrived.

I'm curious to know if these unofficial firmware updates 10.1XXX are clear from any Carrier restrictions. Thus, allowing the Wi-Fi Hotspot feature to be enable. Can someone follow up on this hypothesis...
    Last edited by iBwizzle; 05-27-13 at 07:38 AM.
    05-27-13 07:20 AM
    UPDATE: I have failed to get past the restriction and Functionality vs Restriction has won. I am now on a 5gb plan. Good news is once the wifi was enabled, so was tethering via USB and BlueTooth. This was very interesting. The BlueTooth and USB Tether may have had the same restrictions the mobile hot spot had.

Good Luck to anyone moving forward with the information provided. If I you need help, please reply to this post. I have it on a watch and will be notified when responded to.

CodePrime8
    05-27-13 10:01 AM
    Funny, I saw the internet tethering option, which didn't have wifi there and so I struggled to connect my Android phone via BT but failed, until now I thought wifi was unavailable, not sure how I missed mobile hotspot right above it. I think, ah, I had totally expected it to be under tethering, that's why.
    So! Thanks OP!

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:05 AM
    I use my z10 as mobile hot spot and can give Internet access up ti 8 devices. I'm under tmobile and hot spot is included with my plan.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 01:36 PM
    Is there any noticable speed difference between the various models of Blackberry when you use them as a T-mobile hot spot?
    05-29-13 06:50 PM
    Also it allows 10 devices for me. I use it all the time.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:54 PM
    Is there any noticable speed difference between the various models of Blackberry when you use them as a T-mobile hot spot?
    Yes older phones can't process as fast (some 7.0 phones).

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:55 PM
    Yes it does and yes it does not count on carrier billing.

At&t is another story as they want extra money for hotspot feature, but I do believe there is a way around it, just search crackberry forums.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 07:13 PM
    When used as a hotspot, is it still possible to use the Z10 as usual, or does it disable or compromise the phone's functionality? Any problems w/overheating, etc? Could it be so effective as a hotspot that it would eliminate the need for the garbage Mifi 2200 (sledgehammer at the ready)? Thank you!
    06-23-13 12:34 PM
    I use mobile hotspot all the time with my PlayBook for long rides. I just close settings and use my phone as normal.

Posted via CB10
    cyblitz likes this.
    06-23-13 01:45 PM
    I use mobile hotspot all the time with my PlayBook for long rides. I just close settings and use my phone as normal.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. I do the same. Pretty cool!

Posted via CB10. -PlayBook & Z10-
    06-23-13 02:27 PM
27 12