I've had 8 months of trouble free use with my Z10 now, but all of a sudden since last week WiFi has started draining my like fury. Whearas before, both at home and the office, Battery Guru would tell me that on standby the drain would be approximately -0.00W, now it is around -0.3W and drains at a rate of about 10% per hour. Turn WiFi off, and there is virtually no drain whatsoever. Yesterday for instance, with WiFi turned off all day, the battery level fell from 100% to 68% over a period of 15 hours.

For some reason unknown to me, WiFi has suddenly placed a very heavy demand on the phone's resources.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I have done nothing consciously to the phone's settings in the last week.
    12-01-13 07:15 AM
    Is this happening with a specific router or in general? In other words, everywhere.
    12-01-13 07:20 AM
    Are you on 1055 leak?
    12-01-13 07:22 AM
    There has been no change to the routers in either home or office, and no, I'm not using any leaked software - just the up to date version of 10.2
    12-01-13 07:29 AM
    OK... did it start happening coincident with the 10.2 update?

I assume you have tried the usual, like a hard reset. I am not running 10.2 so do not know if any of the wifi settings have changed, you might check.
    12-01-13 07:32 AM
    Have you added any new wireless devices into your environment...wireless phone, gaming adapter, etc? Has your signal strength dropped? Review everything wireless as it seems something is causing interference. How old is your router? Somewhere in your environment is the cause. It could even be the battery in your device or something a neighbor has done. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:07 AM
    OK... did it start happening coincident with the 10.2 update?

I assume you have tried the usual, like a hard reset. I am not running 10.2 so do not know if any of the wifi settings have changed, you might check.
    No, I updated to 10.2 a few weeks back. And hard resets don't make any difference (that was always the cure on my old Curve!)...
    12-01-13 08:16 AM
    Have you added any new wireless devices into your environment...wireless phone, gaming adapter, etc? Has your signal strength dropped? Review everything wireless as it seems something is causing interference. How old is your router? Somewhere in your environment is the cause. It could even be the battery in your device or something a neighbor has done. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    Humm, that's an interesting one. I did turn off "Connect to a Hotspot" on my home WiFi profile. The phone suddenly kept wanting to connect to other connections rather than the router in the house. But that wouldn't explain the same issue happening at work...

I wonder if it could it be that both routers are getting old and tired and therefore giving my Z10 a hard time?
    12-01-13 08:24 AM
    If it is happening at work and at home can guess it's probably a phone not a router issue. But,if it's possible, access wifi with SIM removed -- I know it's pain. (Have been reading reports of some general battery issues with 10.2).

You read I_hiker's post above. Have there been any changes as he describes in BOTH environments? Possible.

Easiest way to find out, of course, is try a 3rd wifi environment and see. Seems v. unlikely. And "tired routers"... don't think so.
    12-01-13 08:25 AM
    If it is happening at work and at home can guess it's probably a phone not a router issue. But,if it's possible, access wifi with SIM removed -- I know it's pain. (Have been reading reports of some general battery issues with 10.2).

You read I_hiker's post above. Have there been any changes as he describes in BOTH environments? Possible.

Easiest way to find out, of course, is try a 3rd wifi environment and see. Seems v. unlikely. And "tired routers"... don't think so.
    I agree in that it's most likely to be a phone problem rather than a router problem. No idea what the problem can be though.

I'm just going to have to get in the habit of keeping WiFi turned off unless I want to do something specific so that I don't use up my monthly data allowance. Such a pain! Constant juggle between battery level and data allowance.

Thanks for your suggestions...
    12-01-13 09:03 AM
    I would try running the phone without the SIM for a bit if possible. Very small chance this could be a SIM related issue. BTW, do you have any apps that are set to background update etc. using only wifi?

You could also set to airplane mode (right no calling) and then turn on the wifi and see if you are still getting the drain. I have wifi-calling with T-Mo, and one of the settings allows me to just operate on wifi, shutting off the cell radio altogether. My battery life increased. So, maybe when you are on wifi the real drain is due to your cell radios searching for connection? It shouldn't, but...
    12-01-13 10:09 AM
    I usually have 6 apps running in Active Frame mode: Battery Guru, Contacts, Calendar, Slick Tasks, Weather and Hub++.
    Currently, I am sitting at 82% Battery after 9 hours with WiFi turned off.

I'll try turning on Airplane Mode and WiFi and see what happens...
    12-01-13 11:10 AM
    WiFi Draining Battery all of a Sudden-img_00000100.png

Here is a screenshot of WiFi and Airplane Mode both on. You can see that as soon as I turned WiFi on, the excessive drain started...

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 12:02 PM
    Have any of the apps that run in the background and use WiFi been updated? You could try turning them all off or deleting them. If your battery drain stabilizes you're on the path to finding the cause.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 04:51 PM
    Update...

As well as the WiFi battery draining issue, I also noticed that the phone was no longer waking up/turning off when being put into the leather pouch.

This was beginning to get too ridiculous so I decided to swap batteries and put the battery in my charging kit into the phone. Le voila, no more battery drain on WiFi and the phone responded again to the leather pouch. Not knowing whether the fix was due to swapping the batteries or just due to an old fashioned battery pull, I put the original battery back in. Still working!

So, resetting the phone via pressing the 2 volume keys as I originally did didn't solve the problem but the battery pull did. Odd, because I thought there was no difference between these 2 methods of rebooting the phone.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, and many thanks you all for your comments and help...
    FF22 likes this.
    12-08-13 03:10 AM