Hi all,

I'm patiently looking forward to 10.1. I checked out the expected list of improvements/ updates but don't see anything re: the spotty Wi-Fi connections. About 50% of the time, whether at home or work, it will automatically pick up my wireless router signal less then 10 feet away. The other half of the time it will not switch to my wi-fi connection, I need to go into settings, switch Wi-Fi off and then back on and it connects. I believe I have read about this issue. Is there anything I can try that I might have missed?
    04-24-13 07:51 AM
    I bet you're about to be hit with a half-dozen suggestions as to how to set up your router. Which, if you ask me, is insane. I have two Roku boxes, three gaming consoles, one PC, a Blu-Ray player, a PlayBook, a Kindle HD and a Nook all communicating with the same router.

Out of all of those, the only thing that's having issues is the Z10. Anyone claiming that the problem lies within the router quality or settings is overlooking the fact that the REST OF THE KNOWN WORLD connects to WiFi better than BlackBerry.

It's an issue.
    04-24-13 08:06 AM
    I bet you're about to be hit with a half-dozen suggestions as to how to set up your router. Which, if you ask me, is insane. I have two Roku boxes, three gaming consoles, one PC, a Blu-Ray player, a PlayBook, a Kindle HD and a Nook all communicating with the same router.

Out of all of those, the only thing that's having issues is the Z10. Anyone claiming that the problem lies within the router quality or settings is overlooking the fact that the REST OF THE KNOWN WORLD connects to WiFi better than BlackBerry.

It's an issue.
    It's definitely NOT a router issue, everything else works fine- three other different brand phones, 3 laptops, 2 printers, etc. So the router settings is definitely not the issue as you so rightfully concluded....
    04-24-13 08:25 AM
    I have wifi issues as well. If I move to the ends of my house I get one or two bars and sometimes no connection. It is not my router as my wife's 9810 has no issues neither do my laptops or two itouch.

Z10 on Rogers
    04-24-13 08:26 AM
    Is anyone else having this issue?
    04-24-13 09:46 AM
    Hi all,

I'm patiently looking forward to 10.1. I checked out the expected list of improvements/ updates but don't see anything re: the spotty Wi-Fi connections. About 50% of the time, whether at home or work, it will automatically pick up my wireless router signal less then 10 feet away. The other half of the time it will not switch to my wi-fi connection, I need to go into settings, switch Wi-Fi off and then back on and it connects. I believe I have read about this issue. Is there anything I can try that I might have missed?
    Can you give more detail? IE Router make and model... Do you have any other WiFi devices on your network? What desktop OS and version are you using? And who is your cell provider?

Doesn't seem to be an issue that affects a large number of users so hard to pinpoint what is causing the issue.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 10:04 AM
    I had an issue initially when I got an Asus Transformer TF101 tablet, it would constantly drop, and many times fail to connect (whereas my laptop, iphone and playbook were fine). I couldn't figure it out (other than I had a cheap router a DLINK DIR-615) and ended up resolving it by installing DD-WRT (custom router firmware) on my DLINK and then BOOM!

It might not be the router, and just the Z10, but I don't think you can rule it out just because only the Z10 doesn't seem to be connecting at the moment. Cheers.
    04-24-13 11:29 AM
    I had an issue initially when I got an Asus Transformer TF101 tablet, it would constantly drop, and many times fail to connect (whereas my laptop, iphone and playbook were fine). I couldn't figure it out (other than I had a cheap router a DLINK DIR-615) and ended up resolving it by installing DD-WRT (custom router firmware) on my DLINK and then BOOM!

It might not be the router, and just the Z10, but I don't think you can rule it out just because only the Z10 doesn't seem to be connecting at the moment. Cheers.
    Actually I have read many threads on this in the blackberry forums and also a couple here, I think it's a widespread issue but many people don't notice it because 99% of the people use data anyways.
    04-24-13 11:37 AM
    Actually I have read many threads on this in the blackberry forums and also a couple here, I think it's a widespread issue but many people don't notice it because 99% of the people use data anyways.
    Ah, I don't go to the Blackberry forums, just here and it doesn't seem to be as widely discussed. I'm trying to think of how it could be related to the Z10 and other than hardware, I'm not sure. The fact that it connects half the time sounds similar to what I experienced with the Transformer on my network. Again, that was definitely something in the software on the router that instantly corrected when I updated the firmware to DD-WRT. Not saying that's the case here.

Also, iPhone 5 users are experiencing their own WiFi issues (nightmare) that seem to be software related, so it could be the OS I guess. But I wouldn't even begin to know what to suggest to correct it if that's the case.

garpt: Have you tried connecting the Z10 on a different WiFi network or just the one at home? EDIT: Never mind, just reread original post and it's doing it on your work network as well.
    Last edited by Gnomesane; 04-24-13 at 12:00 PM.
    04-24-13 11:47 AM
    Maybe not your issue but some router do have device or bandwidth limits. If the z10 is your most recent device you maybe hitting the limits of the router which is why some say to reboot. Then all devices have to reconnect. Just a thought.
    04-24-13 11:48 AM
    Mine is fine

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 11:49 AM
    I'm having the same problem. I have to turn wifi off the on again every time I want to use the Internet or apps like Crackberry when I'm at home. And no it's not a problem with my router, given all other phones work every time with it, including ones that have been added more recently than the Z10.

Just waiting for the torrent of abuse for daring to point out an annoying problem with the Z10. How dare I say anything bad about BlackBerry?!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 11:53 AM
    I'm having the same problem. I have to turn wifi off the on again every time I want to use the Internet or apps like Crackberry when I'm at home. And no it's not a problem with my router, given all other phones work every time with it, including ones that have been added more recently than the Z10.

Just waiting for the torrent of abuse for daring to point out an annoying problem with the Z10. How dare I say anything bad about BlackBerry?!

Posted via CB10
    ??? Who's posted abuse at the OP in this thread? We're trying to help him.
    04-24-13 11:55 AM
    ??? Who's posted abuse at the OP in this thread? We're trying to help him.
    I wasn't saying anyone in this thread has posted abuse. I was saying usually whenever anyone asks about a problem they eventually get loads of abuse. Read my post again, i'm having the same problem as the OP.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 12:01 PM
    A when I first got my z10 a couple of weeks ago this would happen on our work router. One day I could get it next I couldn't and the two crew guys that had I phones had it.

Never had issues at home then issues seemed to disappear at work a couple of days later and has worked fine since.

Mine is also one that reboots now and again.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 12:04 PM
    I wasn't saying anyone in this thread has posted abuse. I was saying usually whenever anyone asks about a problem they eventually get loads of abuse. Read my post again, i'm having the same problem as the OP.
    Posted via CB10
    Ok, I saw that you're having WiFi issues as well, just wondered about the abuse comment.

I know you don't think it's the router as other phones connect fine. BUT, as luv4berrycrack noted, and as I experienced as well, sometimes a device won't connect and the resolution turns out not to be related to the device itself. In my case, an Asus android tablet, and in the other post a Z10 and two other users with iPhones...

What brand and model of router do you use? Have you tried:

1. Performing a hard reset of the router to factory defaults.
    2. When re-configuring your wireless setup, choose a new (and previously unused) SSID for the router.
    3. Try connecting the Z10 to the network first. Then add another device that previously worked fine, etc (for all).

EDIT: AND, as a safety, under Settings>Network Connections>Wi-Fi hit "Saved" icon at bottom and delete your home saved network with current SSID and restart the phone.
    04-24-13 12:17 PM
    Actually in most cases I would suspect the hone router could be the issue.
    The problem in most cases is that someone does not adhere to standards and wifi is still a mess... - some devices are just now fault tolerant than others or even accept a wrong implementation as acceptable...

Spontaneously, I would first wonder whether it is n or g wifi.
    Next router type and make, maybe even encryption type and firmware.

In my case 10 was always fine and 10.1 generally is however I have noticed my Z10 not connecting on a couple of occasions, very seldomly.
    Also, does your router broadcast its ssid?

I suspect it is an issue in either how the two devices connect or the Z10 seeking an old network or not scanning.

Also, I have had everything work fine while my mothers laptop had issues, a new router solved the issue back then.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 12:26 PM
    I install network systems and will bet on the router settings. Msg me if you want more info, people here can help with this stuff
    04-24-13 12:29 PM
    It's a phone issue, as it continously searches for wifi networks but won't find any until i off it and on it as the OP does. Any one from the crackberry team willing to inform blackberry?

Maybe it is specific models? Got the stl 1

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 12:40 PM
    I install network systems and will bet on the router settings. Msg me if you want more info, people here can help with this stuff
    Over to you! I'm not a network admin so to the OP and other user with issues, take advantage of the generous offer! =)
    04-24-13 12:42 PM
    It's a phone issue, as it continously searches for wifi networks but won't find any until i off it and on it as the OP does. Any one from the crackberry team willing to inform blackberry?

Maybe it is specific models? Got the stl 1

Posted via CB10
    If it's a recurring issue Blackberry is likely aware already. Better for individual users to send Blackberry feedback if you want to try and bump it up the priority list. Just a short note to [email protected] detailing your issue and they'll note it, for sure. Cheers.
    04-24-13 12:48 PM
    I've got three wifi networks in my area, the z10 will refuse to see any networks, it's a phone issue.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 12:51 PM
    I remember reading somewhere that some z10 owners had trouble with slightly older routers using an n connection, causing intermittent connectivity, and had success changing to a b or g. Something about different n protocols?
    I'm not a network expert, so I could be wrong. Also, my z10 has no wifi issues.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 12:54 PM
    I've got three wifi networks in my area, the z10 will refuse to see any networks, it's a phone issue.

Posted via CB10
    The other users seem to be able to see and connect to WiFi, their connection just seems to drop randomly, about half the time for them. If you can't see any WiFi networks then perhaps that's another issue. Can you post a quick screenshot of your Settings>Network Connections>WiFi page and show us what you're seeing? Also under the Advanced icon, you can see diagnostic info like Signal level, etc. Just curious to know if you're getting any kind of signal...
    04-24-13 12:58 PM
    My mistake, taught op was having the same issue, when the issue shows again, will do.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 01:03 PM
41 12