What is going on with BlackBerry. Why are they making soo many phones. How can developers ensure their apps can work across all the variants- this has to be an impediment. What about economies of scale - they are splitting product so many ways. How many competitors have 6 or 7 phones in their line at any given time plus two operating systems! It's like they don't know how to do market research. Measure twice, manufacture once!

Posted via CB10
    Fnen90 likes this.
    04-06-14 11:00 AM
    There are really not that many different devices. And those that are different are geared towards different markets and/or different price levels. As far as the devs go, those making apps for BB10 are probable not making any for BBOS7 and vice versa. as far as the different screen resolutions, that can be as simple as changing some lines of code for each device.
    04-06-14 11:21 AM
    What is going on with BlackBerry. Why are they making soo many phones. How can developers ensure their apps can work across all the variants- this has to be an impediment. What about economies of scale - they are splitting product so many ways. How many competitors have 6 or 7 phones in their line at any given time plus two operating systems! It's like they don't know how to do market research. Measure twice, manufacture once!

Posted via CB10
    Where do you get 6 or 7 phones from? Not sure you did your homework on this one. And as of right now only 3 different screen resolutions. My understanding is that will soon be 2 when the Z10 is discontinued. I'm not including the 9900 at this point because that's going to be a very limited run and service and support is already in place.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 11:29 AM
    The more phones the better. If BlackBerry can manage to stay relevant and in the news more people are likely to try their product.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 11:31 AM
    Development for BB10 is much simpler than for BBOS. For most applications there are few if any code changes required. For those changes that are required the OS and development environment make it very easy.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 11:35 AM
    That's the downside of allowing your customers to determine your device strategy. It's not all Chen's fault. When Blackberry decided to make another BBOS phone in the midst of the BB10 launch, it hesitated slightly as it was making the leap.

It makes no sense, in the long run, to have the the exclusive sponsor of the smallest two mobile platforms. There are absolutely no economies of scale. You are pretty much throwing your developers overboard as their economies of scale dwindle - and there's nothing more important to a developer than the size of the install base to market to.

The only way this makes sense is if Chen is anticipating not being in the smartphone business in a couple of years. You can generate a lot of short term sales, especially enterprise sales, by giving customers what is working for them now, however, your sales will gradually whither away to more modern devices with well developed ecosystems.
    04-06-14 11:37 AM
    Where do you get 6 or 7 phones from? Not sure you did your homework on this one. And as of right now only 3 different screen resolutions. My understanding is that will soon be 2 when the Z10 is discontinued. I'm not including the 9900 at this point because that's going to be a very limited run and service and support is already in place.

Posted via CB10
    Z10, Z30, Z3, Q10, Q5, bold 9790, curve 9320. All on BlackBerry website except Z3.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 11:40 AM
    Maybe a stupid question but if BlackBerry doesn't want the expense of making phones would it be possible for them to have the ability to make bb10/qnx run over an any android phone. There by you could buy any phone run bb10 on your device.

Via BlackBerry Z10 Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925
    04-06-14 11:49 AM
    Z10, Z30, Z3, Q10, Q5, bold 9790, curve 9320. All on BlackBerry website except Z3.

Posted via CB10
    Haha ok my bad. But just a little inside heads up that's going to change real soon. 9320 and Z10 are on their way out. I've heard mixed things on which Bold they are producing again so flip a coin. You also missed the 9982 and 9981 if you want to include those in your "count" but as others have said not really that difficult to change or add coding for screen resolution. It's also super easy for BlackBerry to continue support for BlackBerry OS as its already in place. From what I've heard only a couple dozen. people are still on the old OS team. According to Chen when talking to his customers they still wanted a BlackBerry OS device, is that not research?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 11:55 AM
    Haha ok my bad. But just a little inside heads up that's going to change real soon. 9320 and Z10 are on their way out. I've heard mixed things on which Bold they are producing again so flip a coin. You also missed the 9982 and 9981 if you want to include those in your "count" but as others have said not really that difficult to change or add coding for screen resolution. It's also super easy for BlackBerry to continue support for BlackBerry OS as its already in place. From what I've heard only a couple dozen. people are still on the old OS team. Cheers

Posted via CB10
    Yes I didn't count the porsche editions. But point remains- wtf! (pardon the language!). Now back to the buttons! Seriously can they do market research? Does anyone one know of how many are in their marketing research department! My god even Alicia Keys! Their stupid super bowl ad. Guess what - the new iPhone is going to have a bigger screen - because the market wants it!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:03 PM
    Yes I didn't count the porsche editions. But point remains- wtf! (pardon the language!). Now back to the buttons! Seriously can they do market research? Does anyone one know of how many are in their marketing research department! My god even Alicia Keys! Their stupid super bowl ad. Guess what - the new iPhone is going to have a bigger screen - because the market wants it!

Posted via CB10
    Um why do you think they are bringing back the Bold? Because nobody wanted it? Lol People still love the 9900 my boss included.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:09 PM
    The more phones the better. If BlackBerry can manage to stay relevant and in the news more people are likely to try their product.

Posted via CB10
    Respectfully not. The constant issues about the business closing in the news is driving business . away. Chen is promising the business customers that the Co. Is not on it easy legs!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:10 PM
    I agree to some degree, a lot of phones didn't certainly help them in the past. The stupid consumer was buying curves because they were cheaper and then upgrading to iPhones because they were faster (instead of, say, a 9900, because "blackberries are slow and suck").

I was really hoping BBRY aimed for the stars this time, keeping a single line of devices appealing to the high end market and maybe a qwerty line, but it seems their current goal is to continue their existence, rather than to regain the marketshare they once had. So I'm cool with it.

Note: OPs problem is nonexistent on the Android OS with multiple devices because the OS itself adjusts for different resolutions. Ours doesn't.

Yay, unpopular opinion. I am prepared to face disagreement.

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    NtotheK likes this.
    04-06-14 12:19 PM
    Respectfully not. The constant issues about the business closing in the news is driving business . away. Chen is promising the business customers that the Co. Is not on it easy legs!

Posted via CB10
    Chen is on a worldwide tour right now reassuring customers and he also said on the latest earnings call that they have a nice profit margin with this latest run of BBOS device. They are focusing on enterprises and emerging markets. As you can probably notice they are not chasing average or American consumers the market is already saturated.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Z3 will probably have the same resolution as either the Z10 or the Z30. The Q10 and the Q5 have the same resolution. As said before, the OS7 phones have had all of their major development done a long time ago. That leaves you with 3 screen resolutions to develop for. That's one more than Apple, many less than WP8, and dozens less than Android.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:37 PM
    I enjoy the amount of phones BlackBerry has, but I also enjoy having options on things.
    04-06-14 02:37 PM