I notice there's a "Play On" button when you watch YouTube within the browser, but it'd greyed out. Apparently it's a new feature introduced in 10.2. I've dug up a few threads in the past asking the same thing but none of them was solved. Half year later, we're still asking the same question. Does anyone know what's going on?

I can use "Play On " within my music app, pictures, and video to my Mac and XBOX no problem.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 02:50 PM
    Maybe it`s just if you try it over WiFi so the data has to be recieved and send simultaniously. it definitly works via HDMI
    05-08-14 03:26 PM
    Maybe it`s just if you try it over WiFi so the data has to be recieved and send simultaniously. it definitly works via HDMI
    Thanks for the reply. But I'm certain the Wifi is turned on and functional. That's the only way I could send media to my Mac and XBOX. I don't have an mini HDMI cable and I do intend to go wireless with this DLNA. Like I've mentioned, everything works as it should on Music app, Video and Pictures, except YouTube in browser. It seems something is preventing the browser from utilising the DLNA function.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 05:24 PM
    I've never used the play on feature for YouTube. Normally just pair my Blackberry with device with YouTube on my player. Youtube.com/pair.

Works just like the play on feature. You can continue using your phone for other things while YouTube is playing.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 09:13 PM
    I think what he's suggesting, is that Play On via the browser only works with HDMI. I think he's saying that downloading the media via the Wifi, at the same time you are broadcasting it with Play On via the 'same' Wifi might be a little taxing on the whole setup, and therefore isn't possible.

Posted via CB10
    vgorous likes this.
    05-08-14 09:15 PM
    I also have this issue. However, when I was testing out a Z30 at a Telus store, the PlayOn button on YouTube wasn't greyed out. I didn't try it because I was in a busy store, but there's something going on. I want to be able to use it.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 04:47 AM
    I've never used the play on feature for YouTube. Normally just pair my Blackberry with device with YouTube on my player. Youtube.com/pair.

Works just like the play on feature. You can continue using your phone for other things while YouTube is playing.

Posted via CB10
    Does this work for you on a console or smart TV? I would try this if my Xbox subscription hasn't expired.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 12:01 PM
    Does this work for you on a console or smart TV? I would try this if my Xbox subscription hasn't expired.

Posted via CB10

On a smart TV and a wd TV live box (which is what I normally use). One of our tvs isn't a smart so it has a wd TV live box connected.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 12:24 PM
    I think what he's suggesting, is that Play On via the browser only works with HDMI. I think he's saying that downloading the media via the Wifi, at the same time you are broadcasting it with Play On via the 'same' Wifi might be a little taxing on the whole setup, and therefore isn't possible.

Posted via CB10
    What he said ^

Remember: DLNA is your phone acting as a local mobile server.

So if you're watching a video on YouTube, and you see that "Play On" button on the bottom right corner is for the purpose of playing it on HDMI, not DLNA. When this "Play On" feature is turned on using HDMI, you can view the content on the TV full screen, while also allowing you to browse through your phone if you wish.

If you wanted to use the "Play On" feature as DLNA; then what you are asking the phone to do is to download the YouTube content onto your phone, then your phone will connect to a DLNA client, to which, will be downloading that content off of your phone. That's a lot to do and not a good way to experience it.

Generally, DLNA is designed for users who have the file existing on their device to stream it to another device such as a PS3 or xbox. Your xbox is just downloading the file off of your phone. That's all it is.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 03:57 PM
    What he said ^

Remember: DLNA is your phone acting as a local mobile server.

So if you're watching a video on YouTube, and you see that "Play On" button on the bottom right corner is for the purpose of playing it on HDMI, not DLNA. When this "Play On" feature is turned on using HDMI, you can view the content on the TV full screen, while also allowing you to browse through your phone if you wish.

If you wanted to use the "Play On" feature as DLNA; then what you are asking the phone to do is to download the YouTube content onto your phone, then your phone will connect to a DLNA client, to which, will be downloading that content off of your phone. That's a lot to do and not a good way to experience it.

Generally, DLNA is designed for users who have the file existing on their device to stream it to another device such as a PS3 or xbox. Your xbox is just downloading the file off of your phone. That's all it is.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your explanation. I was in the midst of researching this myself before my reply. What you and dviles said, although does make sense, to some extent. What bothers me is DLNA is pretty much an Apple's Airplay.

What Airplay does is it can stream from an YouTube app and push its content right onto an Airplay receiver (i.e. Appletv).

If Airplay is capable of handling such load on iPhone 3GS, original ipad, ipod touch 4 etc, what's preventing BlackBerry Z10, whose hardware is far superior than mentioned, from having this enabled?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 04:41 PM
    Thanks for your explanation. I was in the midst of researching this myself before my reply. What you and dviles said, although does make sense, in some extent. What bothers me is DLNA is pretty much an Apple's Airplay.

What Airplay does is it can stream from an YouTube app and push its content right onto an Airplay receiver (i.e. Appletv).

If Airplay is capable of handling such load on iPhone 3GS, original ipad, ipod touch 4 etc, what's preventing BlackBerry Z10, whose hardware is far superior than mentioned, from having this enabled?

Posted via CB10
    It's using Mircast. Z10 does not have the hardware for that, but the Q10 and Z30 does.

DLNA is a pretty old technology btw.

Edit:
    If you wanted to do something similar if you had a Q10 or a Z30:

1) you'll need a smart TV that has Miracast built in.
    - if you don't have that, you'll definitely need a TV with an HDMI input.
    - then you purchase a Mircast dongle. (this is like your airplay receiver.(they could go as low as $20 I believe).

2) turn the miracast on and be sure you are viewing that input signal

3) play YouTube video

4) tap on "Play On" now, and it should be visible.

Mircast is pretty much your wireless HDMI connection. Doesn't use wifi.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 04:45 PM
    It's using Mircast. Z10 does not have the hardware for that, but the Q10 and Z30 does.

DLNA is a pretty old technology btw.

Edit:
    If you wanted to do something similar if you had a Q10 or a Z30:

1) you'll need a smart TV that has Miracast built in.
    - if you don't have that, you'll definitely need a TV with an HDMI input.
    - then you purchase a Mircast dongle. (this is like your airplay receiver.(they could go as low as $20 I believe).

2) turn the miracast on and be sure you are viewing that input signal

3) play YouTube video

4) tap on "Play On" now, and it should be visible.

Mircast is pretty much your wireless HDMI connection. Doesn't use wifi.

Posted via CB10

I know miracast also works, I use it with a Surface . But why is miracast being brought up? It's an entirely different technology.

1. Like a said, Airplay works just like DLNA. No apple devices have miracast builtin.

2. On Android side, Bubble upnp and twonky beam apps allow YouTube steaming via DLNA alone. No miracast needed. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.bubbleupnp

3. On a PC, you can download TeleTube to get DLNA steaming on YouTube. Again, no Miracast required. http://teletube.studio4plus.com/upnp.html

Don't you begin to think it's software crippling now?

Posted via CB10
    Sergiu1337 likes this.
    05-09-14 05:17 PM
    I know miracast also works, I use it with a Surface . But why is miracast being brought up? It's an entirely different technology.

1. Like a said, Airplay works just like DLNA. No apple devices have miracast builtin.

2. On Android side, Bubble upnp and twonky beam apps allow YouTube steaming via DLNA alone. No miracast needed. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.bubbleupnp

3. On a PC, you can download TeleTube to get DLNA steaming on YouTube. Again, no Miracast required. http://teletube.studio4plus.com/upnp.html

Don't you begin to think it's software crippling now?

Posted via CB10

I guess so. I could think of a way how they could program it to work, but I wouldn't put much thought and effort of how they would program it. They could just relay the data right away, giving it some buffer in between transfer so it doesn't lag. I would presume that those method would congest your wifi connection though.

I personally think it's best to get rid of the middle man (wifi/dlna receiver aka ps3) and go straight to the tv.

Could you please explain exactly how android would be set up. What's involved?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 05:41 PM
    I guess so. I could think of a way how they could program it to work, but I wouldn't put much thought and effort of how they would program it. They could just relay the data right away, giving it some buffer in between transfer so it doesn't lag. I would presume that those method would congest your wifi connection though.

I personally think it's best to get rid of the middle man (wifi/dlna receiver aka ps3) and go straight to the tv.

Could you please explain exactly how android would be set up. What's involved?

Posted via CB10

Well, theoretically, it should work better Without "middle man". But Miracast isn't yet well known, so product performance is still subpar. Even Roku hesitates to put it on their devices.

As for setting up on an Android device, I believe this video will best demonstrate Twonky Beam's functionalities.

I have a feeling the youtube.com/pair method would make that "Play On" button work. I just need to get my hands on the Xbox subscription again.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 06:24 PM
    Ohhh I remember now. I did this before... I used to use my PC as a DLNA server with a program TVersity so my PS3 could stream videos from selected websites.

I'd have to tag those websites and when I go on my PS3 I would see those websites like "files". It works, but I don't find it efficient.

Anyway, I highly doubt that what you're asking for will not appear as a feature on BB10. Maybe someone might make an app, or you could just download the android app(if it's free).

I'd much rather stick with hdmi or Mircast. I hate turning on my PS3 just for the DLNA. I'd also have to use the PS3 controller too to control the content.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 07:53 PM
    Ohhh I remember now. I did this before... I used to use my PC as a DLNA server with a program TVersity so my PS3 could stream videos from selected websites.

I'd have to tag those websites and when I go on my PS3 I would see those websites like "files". It works, but I don't find it efficient.

Anyway, I highly doubt that what you're asking for will not appear as a feature on BB10. Maybe someone might make an app, or you could just download the android app(if it's free).

I'd much rather stick with hdmi or Mircast. I hate turning on my PS3 just for the DLNA. I'd also have to use the PS3 controller too to control the content.

Posted via CB10
    Well, even if there was such an app, it wouldn't be systematically integrated. There is an app utilises Upnp on XBMC. It's called "Send to XBMC for YouTube". So it's possible to broadcast YouTube steaming via DLNA on a Z10 without miracast. It's just up to BlackBerry to implement it in.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 11:05 PM
    How does the Miracast work on the Z30? Do you activate it via Play On? If not, it wouldn't explain why the Z30 I tested had a working Play On button when using YouTube. It wasn't connected to HDMI either.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 11:50 PM
    I believe that @vgorous was on the right track with the Z10 not being able to support this feature.

If I'm not mistaken, the chipset used in the Z10 cannot have two simultaneous WiFi channels open at the same time. It can either receive or send - not both. The Play On feature in YouTube would need two open channels to work - one to receive the data from YouTube and the other to simultaneously push the content to the Smart TV / monitor.

It's the same reason why the Z10 doesn't have (or more accurately, cannot utilize) WiFi Direct or Miracast - whereas the other BB10 devices can (Q5 / Q10 / Z30).

That's my understanding of it all anyway.
    06-27-14 12:10 PM