Two points for me:

One: the Z10 is what BBRY needs now, IMHO. BBRY will throw in better specs into future devices.

Secondly, the old timers will recall some of the same arguments -- when all BBs was a smaller, physical keyboard piece. We (yes, I was one- of them) pointed and laughed at touchscreens. They were big, gimmicky resource hogs. We derided 2 MB of RAM. It was overkill. We mocked multi-core devices. BBOS didn't "need" that.

Let's revisit this thread when the flagship comes out LOL.
    03-22-13 11:53 AM
    That leads me to another question....does one really need a 1080 screen on a 5 inche screen?

I rather see more investment in battery life.
    Fair question. There's probably a diminishing return there, but higher DPI definitely catches a user's eye.

There are a couple of ways to improve battery life. Optimize the OS (BB10 has a huge theoretical potential over Android for that) and make it easier for the user to recharge during the day.

I loved the charging contacts on my 9900. I found a couple of good charging stands and kept one on my nightstand and one on my desk at work and between them I never had a problem with my battery.

Fortunately the Z10 is better than the 9900 for battery life, but I'm hoping the Aristo uses some kind of contactless charging (and preferably the Qi standard) that will let me do something similar.

Posted via CB10
    Mic_JP likes this.
    03-22-13 11:54 AM
    If it actually runs more efficiently and smoothly, then yes, I agree with putting more in. But if we're going to get the same speed, efficiency and lag-free system with two cores as we would with four, then the quad-core processor is a waste.

JB
    I will agree. So, in the end, the user experience is what matters.

Hey, I'll be the first to say that hardware isn't everything. The quads were available, and in some cases, received better reviews than my EVOLTE... just weren't for me. I liked the HTC hardware better.
    Mic_JP and BergerKing like this.
    03-22-13 11:56 AM
    Two points for me:

One: the Z10 is what BBRY needs now, IMHO. BBRY will throw in better specs into future devices.

Secondly, the old timers will recall some of the same arguments -- when all BBs was a smaller, physical keyboard piece. We (yes, I was one- of them) pointed and laughed at touchscreens. They were big, gimmicky resource hogs. We derided 2 MB of RAM. It was overkill. We mocked multi-core devices. BBOS didn't "need" that.

Let's revisit this thread when the flagship comes out LOL.
    I thought this was the flagship?
    03-22-13 11:58 AM
    Sorry this is BB not Samsung. If BB had put a QC in their the Z10 it would increase the OS speed so much that they would have to write extra lines of code just to slow it down.

If you want a real camera don't buy a phone, buy a camera instead!
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 11:58 AM
    QNX is a micro-kernel based OS, not a monolithic OS. It runs as many small tasks as possible (these tasks are known as 'servers'). Developers can switch on just the servers they need and leave the rest, making it exceptionally fast and efficient.

Comparing hardware specs for a Monolithic based OS such as Android or iOS is nonsense. QNX used to fit onto a floppy, it's that small. Does your car need quad core to run? No, but it's likely it's running QNX.

This isn't apples compared to apples - the OS works in a different way, doesn't hog everything and developers can switch on only the elements they need.

On another note: applications must be written SPECIFICALLY to take advantage of multi-threading on multiple cores. If the app developer hasn't done it, you're not getting the power. How many apps are written for quad or octa-core? This marketing on hardware is for public money parting, and not for any other reason - buy something honest. Like a BlackBerry Z10.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 12:01 PM
    But we can both find videos of so-called lag on the Z10, no?

What do people mean when they say an OS needs four cores? Does the Z10 need two? I run an Android that is smooth on two, so I am curious. Why didn't BBRY stick with a single core?
    BBRY likely didn't use a single core because it might not have been efficient enough for the OS, and then again the cost difference between a single core and dual core were likely marginal.
    03-22-13 12:01 PM
    I thought this was the flagship?
    LOL... some folks get testy when you say that. It's double-edged sword. Word on the street is that the Aristo is top dog.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 12:02 PM
    My PC is an I7 quad core with hyper threading = 8 effective cores. Even when I'm running every high-end application I have for work, resource monitor rarely shows more than one or two cores operating - the rest are 100% idle.
    There is also diminishing returns as you add more cores, because the OS has to spend more time deciding what tasks should run where. If the OS isn't specifically written for a multi-core system, then more than one core is practically useless. It is not as simple as having a pool of work to do that the cores just pick away at when they have free cycles.
    Anyone know if there is a resource manager-like application for BB that shows core and RAM usage in real time? Surely QNX has the capability to monitor that and provide it out through the API (or via a BB core app?).
    Technically you have 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores.

Not all high-end applications are designed to support multi-threading so you may never see them using more than 1 or 2 physical cores.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 12:04 PM
    Sorry this is BB not Samsung. If BB had put a QC in their the Z10 it would increase the OS speed so much that they would have to write extra lines of code just to slow it down.

If you want a real camera don't buy a phone, buy a camera instead!
    What are you basing the need to write extra code to slow the phone down if it has a QC? Is that a guess or is this a fact?

I understand I could go by a camera if I want 13 mp, but there are phones out there doing this now.

I'm not saying this isn't a relevant phone for now, but I want it to be relevant a year from now if I'm going to spend $200 on it. Hopefully BBRY can start leading in both hardware and software innovation, or just stop making hardware and start selling software. Both software and hardware need to be innovative and maybe they have too much on their plate to innovate fast enough on both.
    03-22-13 12:08 PM
    The better question is what are you doing on your phone that requires so many cores?
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 12:08 PM
    Have you used the phone yet? How about you pick one up and then give us some reason for why it needs a quad core processor

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 12:11 PM
    Give u a very optimised OS that doesnt require high specs, u complain about it being dual core.

Give u quad core, u complain about battery life.

Give u bigger battery capacity, u complain about size and weight.

Might as well you just carry your gaming notebook instead of a phone.

Zzzzzzzz
    keypad, R Field, MERCDROID and 1 others like this.
    03-22-13 12:12 PM
    Took me a while to find it again but here is a good explanation of the two systems:
    BlackBerry: Understanding QNX - Seeking Alpha
    BergerKing likes this.
    Did you want to pay more for your phone for negligible performance gain?

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing and keypad like this.
    Did you want to pay more for your phone for negligible performance gain?

Posted via CB10
    Why would I need to pay more when other phones are out with the same price point with QC and larger screens? I don't get this logic.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 12:15 PM
    I'm not saying this isn't a relevant phone for now, but I want it to be relevant a year from now if I'm going to spend $200 on it. Hopefully BBRY can start leading in both hardware and software innovation, or just stop making hardware and start selling software. Both software and hardware need to be innovative and maybe they have too much on their plate to innovate fast enough on both.
    QNX physically doesn't need what you're trying to put forward - see previous post re: QNX under my name. You'll see this OS running fine in the future for your $200. Do some research on mult-threading applications and the QNX kernel, and do bear in mind that marketing and opinions are not the reality of the implementation.
    BergerKing and Bobcat665 like this.
    03-22-13 12:15 PM
    Just to flip this around:

"WHY IS THERE NO HUB IN ANDROID OR IOS?!?!"
    irweezyy and BergerKing like this.
    03-22-13 12:17 PM
    Even though people take more pictures with their phones today, the ONLY reason I can see for a 13 MP camera on a phone is so a person can say "I have a 13 MP camera ON MY PHONE!" he clarity of pictures on 5 MP is already good, and 8 MP is phenomenal. But all it says to me is "bigger picture, more space to use on memory card, either get bigger card or take less pictures. " If you look at a picture on a 4-5" screen it's tough to tell how big its actual size is...try it on your computer some time.

As for quad core, Bla1ze addressed this before: if you throw specs at an OS that isn't optimized for them, it won't make a difference. From what I have seen in videos, the Z10 has no real need for a quad core to do its job well. Adding one in the future probably won't make a major difference to its capabilities, but it is a selling point these days to the masses to have specs like that.

BlackBerry is about efficiency, period. If we need it, we need it. But someone always has to whine about specs...
    03-22-13 12:23 PM
    Just to flip this around:

"WHY IS THERE NO HUB IN ANDROID OR IOS?!?!"
    I think there is a samsung hub in the s4
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 12:23 PM
    If you are competing in a specs driven market you have to compete-

I agree that the user experience should be the most important, what gets you to go check out a phone? It’s the specs, the price, and the total package-

One thing that drives nuts is hearing- we don’t need a quad core, we don’t need all those apps, well those things are going to make a difference if the company can compete in the market... and survive

True I use an android phone, though I want blackberry to thrive and be an innovator because I want to see what they can come up with, push the boundaries of what phones and mobile computing can really do

I loved my Bold 9000, and would love to switch back to blackberry but I need a device and an echo system that can provide me a smooth transition- give me things I have on android not the dollar store knock off angry birds vs angry farm… that may sound harsh but the mobile market is moving quickly, even iphone is falling prey to android…

Androids fragmentation and not getting updates for a phone because its over a month old drives me nuts too, blackberry could step in and really make a difference… just need to stop with excuses and deliver… we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg on what mobile computing can bring to the table, lets home that blackberry can step up to the plate and show us…
    keypad and BergerKing like this.
    03-22-13 12:30 PM
    Can someone explain this to me? It seems these things are standard for 2013 so I'm just not sure I get why they went with 2012 specs. I understand 2 gig of ram is on par, but what about the rest? I'm still excited for the phone and hope it does well, but also hoping there is a reason they didn't worry about the these specs as I would like to know that this phone will still be relevant in a year if I purchase it.

I know this probably comes off a little negative, but thought this would be one of the better places to get knowledgeable responses.
    They are relevant. If you know about computers, you should know that multiple cores is for multiprocessing. But for a phone to use over 2 cores... you must be playing fairly high graphical games and blackberry users didn't buy it for games. The quad core will suck the battery life. So in reality.. do you need a quad core? Only to show off but not practical at all.

Tbh I'm sure Samsung has hit a brick wall, why else would the s4 be an 2xquad.. rather than a 2x quad.. they should have just out in a gpu... most people won't be able to push their a4 into overdrive to use the 1.8ghz quad... so in reality.

The s4 is just a 1.2ghz quad.. vs the 1.5 dual z10.... I'll choose a 1.8ghz dual any day. Don't be fooled by the Specs.. understand the purpose of the specs first.
    03-22-13 12:34 PM
    True I use an android phone, though I want blackberry to thrive and be an innovator because I want to see what they can come up with, push the boundaries of what phones and mobile computing can really do
    I have yet to hear an actual explanation of how the removal of a home button and creating an OS that relies pretty much entirely on gestures and swipes is not innovative.

Adding a quad-core processor and a few more megapixels to a phone is not innovative. "This year, we're going to bring you the same thing, but FASTER!"

I loved my Bold 9000, and would love to switch back to blackberry but I need a device and an echo system that can provide me a smooth transition- give me things I have on android not the dollar store knock off angry birds vs angry farm�€� that may sound harsh but the mobile market is moving quickly, even iphone is falling prey to android�€�
    So you want BlackBerry to be innovative, but you want them to be like Android. Which is it? You can't be innovative and like everyone else at the same time.

Androids fragmentation and not getting updates for a phone because its over a month old drives me nuts too, blackberry could step in and really make a difference�€� just need to stop with excuses and deliver�€� we�€™ve only seen the tip of the iceberg on what mobile computing can bring to the table, lets home that blackberry can step up to the plate and show us�€�
    And they are - they're just not doing it in the same way as Samsung. Give it time - the phone has only been out a month and a half. No one should expect BB to catch up to Samsung and Apple right now. They are in the market of trying to show themselves to be a real aternative to the big competition, and it's working. It will take time, but it's working. Look around. The only direction BlackBerry is going is up.

"It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll." Patience is required for this journey.

JB
    03-22-13 12:37 PM
    because both Quad 4 Processor or 13 mega pixel camera have no need in real use. quad core is not really faster than dual core and 13 mega pixel camera is just over kill. you will see no difference on print of 4x6.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 12:43 PM
    The Z10 is not their flagship device. I think the Aristo will have a quad core processor and a better camera. Like many have said previously, the qnx OS is efficient enough without the need for a quad core processor. I have had the z10 for 2 weeks know and I'm amazed as to how zippy it is. No issues when playing games either. The only way companies running the Android platform could compete is in hardware specs since the software is the same. However, even quad core processors are useless if the apps are not programed to take advantage of it.
    Do yourself a favor and use the phone for a couple of weeks before passing judgment.
    Btw, I typed all of this without any mistakes on the z10, the auto correct feature is amazing. I don't miss the physical keyboard in my torch.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 12:46 PM
314 ... 23456 ...