05-21-13 08:52 AM
314 12345 ...
tools
    That's an excellent question that I don't have an answer for beyond, "just in case I need it one day."
    Mic_JP likes this.
    03-22-13 11:34 AM
    I love specs. Well implemented, I believe that they DO add to the user experience. All things being equal (an OS I like, no increase in price, no decrease in performance in other areas), I'll take the higher spec-ed phone any day.

Having said that, high specs don't necessarily mean better performance, and shouldn't be the biggest consideration by far, IMHO.
    +1

Specs can't be ignored, and if the Z10 were intended to be the flagship BlackBerry I'd agree with the OP. As it stands, the Z10 provides an excellent user experience.

There's been some chatter around price reductions for the Z10 since its introduction, and it's true that the prices have come down a bit. We need to remember, though, that the SG4 is on presale with a bigger, higher-DPI screen and, yes, a quad-core, all for the same price that the Z10 is being offered at now.

I believe that BB10 offers a better experience than the SG4 will, but I'm not going to lie and say I don't care about those specs, either.

A quad-core Aristo with a massive battery and 64GB memory sounds pretty awesome.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 11:34 AM
    That's an excellent question that I don't have an answer for beyond, "just in case I need it one day."
    Probably because i7 laden computers are relatively cheap when comparing to an i5 or even i3.
    03-22-13 11:35 AM
    How do we define "lag?" what would be an example?
    03-22-13 11:37 AM
    There's been some chatter around price reductions for the Z10 since its introduction, and it's true that the prices have come down a bit. We need to remember, though, that the SG4 is on presale with a bigger, higher-DPI screen and, yes, a quad-core, all for the same price that the Z10 is being offered at now.
    That leads me to another question....does one really need a 1080 screen on a 5 inche screen?

I rather see more investment in battery life.
    keypad likes this.
    03-22-13 11:37 AM
    How do we define "lag?" what would be an example?
    swipe left or right, if the screen doesnt follow your finger to the microsecond...thats LAG!
    03-22-13 11:38 AM
    The difference is in the operating system. The android is a Macro system the whole operating has to run to operate. The BB10 is a micro operating system, a next generation system and requires a lot less resources to operate. What good is a thirteen MP camera. Higher density means larger files to transfer. If you are sending them by email they may be rejected by servers unless downsized.
    Last edited by Wilsonia Goldens; 03-22-13 at 11:55 AM.
    03-22-13 11:38 AM
    LOL...

Okay, I'm done. Does that quote come out of a book somewhere?

see for yourself with the gimmicky eye tracker. Don't take my word for it.
    03-22-13 11:39 AM
    I'm waiting to see lumia 920's 8mp versus S4's 13mp camera

I can't wait to tell you that it's not always about the hardware but also about the underlying software too

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 11:39 AM
    "the ripening branches of BlackBerry"
    Wicked.
    I have a feeling that by Christmas I will own at least three BB10 phones...
    wasabiGT and BergerKing like this.
    03-22-13 11:40 AM
    If the OS doesn't need quad-core processors to run at its full potential, it would be stupid to put them in. Hardware power for its own sake is dumb. Use the hardware required to do the job to its full potential - anything more is a waste.

When it comes to the camera, anyone who knows anything about cameras knows that a good camera is not defined by the number of megapixels in each shot. And either way, no matter how many megapixels you throw into a cell phone camera, it's still a cell phone camera. You can dress a plate of ground beef up as a steak all you want, but it's still ground beef.

JB
    03-22-13 11:42 AM
    The difference is in the operating system. The android is a Macro system the whole operating has to run to operate. The BB10 is a micro operating system requires a lot less resources.
    This is what I'm looking for. Is this proven or tested? Is there a source?
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 11:42 AM
    So why do you have an i7 if you computer doesn't even use all the cores?
    Same reason i have a 27" screen, and 16Gb of RAM, and all sorts of things I rarely if ever use: it's plugged in to a wall. You can be assured though, that if power failed and I was running on battery backup, that I'd be shutting down everything possible to make the battery last longer.
    03-22-13 11:43 AM

see for yourself with the gimmicky eye tracker. Don't take my word for it.
    But we can both find videos of so-called lag on the Z10, no?

What do people mean when they say an OS needs four cores? Does the Z10 need two? I run an Android that is smooth on two, so I am curious. Why didn't BBRY stick with a single core?
    bp3dots likes this.
    03-22-13 11:45 AM
    Same reason i have a 27" screen, and 16Gb of RAM, and all sorts of things I rarely if ever use: it's plugged in to a wall. You can be assured though, that if power failed and I was running on battery backup, that I'd be shutting down everything possible to make the battery last longer.
    I think my point was made earlier on this one.
    BB is approaching it as experience-based and not a specs race. They have hit the nail straight on the head - there is no lag whatsoever - the OS is very efficient and light - it does not need a lot of horsepower just to do basic tasks, unlike Android for example. It does more with less.

If you can keep the costs down by using dual core components and get the same end-user experience as a quad-core Samsung - it allows you to be more competitive in the marketplace.
    The difference is in the operating system. The android is a Macro system the whole operating has to run to operate. The BB10 is a micro operating system requires a lot less resources.
    What exactly does that mean?
    03-22-13 11:46 AM
    This is what I'm looking for. Is this proven or tested? Is there a source?
    There was a good article on CB about how the micro kernal worked.

I think this was it

History of QNX and its Implementation in BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    03-22-13 11:46 AM
    If the OS doesn't need quad-core processors to run at its full potential, it would be stupid to put them in. Hardware power for its own sake is dumb. Use the hardware required to do the job to its full potential - anything more is a waste.

When it comes to the camera, anyone who knows anything about cameras knows that a good camera is not defined by the number of megapixels in each shot. And either way, no matter how many megapixels you throw into a cell phone camera, it's still a cell phone camera. You can dress a plate of ground beef up as a steak all you want, but it's still ground beef.

JB
    I don't disagree, but as I said earlier, if I can get even a little more power for the same expense of resources, I'm all for that. Tech companies pack in more power when they can. BB10 runs fine on a single core, but BBRY decided on two. I don't consider that stupid.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-22-13 11:47 AM
    BB is approaching it as experience-based and not a specs race. They have hit the nail straight on the head - there is no lag whatsoever - the OS is very efficient and light - it does not need a lot of horsepower just to do basic tasks, unlike Android for example. It does more with less.

If you can keep the costs down by using dual core components and get the same end-user experience as a quad-core Samsung - it allows you to be more competitive in the marketplace.
    This is what I expected, but is there a reliable source that confirms this. From what I understand, the phone does currently run smooth, but does it have the specs it needs to hold up over the next 1 - 2 years compared to an Optimus G, for example.
    nycspaces. likes this.
    03-22-13 11:48 AM
    Oh, and megapixels for a camera don't mean anything. A 13 megapixel camera does not have better image quality than a 8 megapixel. It is simply the amount of pixels that the sensor captures. Picture quality comes from the quality of the sensor and the lens - and software processing after the photo is taken. None of which is explained in the megapixel rating. Megapixels are marketing garbage.
    vagos2006 likes this.
    03-22-13 11:48 AM
    I'm thinking battery technology hasn't kept pace with the demand for power just yet. Stick in as many processors as you want, it doesn't do you any good if it drains the battery in half a day.

As well, throwing in the biggest and most powerful components doesn't guarantee the best device as well. The OS and how it manages all that talent is a bigger determinant of overall flow and capabilities. Just like a car with big engines, large wheels etc. Unless the car as a whole handles and performs in a well balanced manner, a 700 hp engine will be pretty useless.
    03-22-13 11:50 AM
    Well, it runs NOVA 3 perfectly without lag with nice graphics - if it can run that now, what type of regular app won't it be able to run in 1-2 years?
    03-22-13 11:50 AM
    I don't disagree, but as I said earlier, if I can get even a little more power for the same expense of resources, I'm all for that. Tech companies pack in more power when they can. BB10 runs fine on a single core, but BBRY decided on two. I don't consider that stupid.
    If it actually runs more efficiently and smoothly, then yes, I agree with putting more in. But if we're going to get the same speed, efficiency and lag-free system with two cores as we would with four, then the quad-core processor is a waste.

JB
    03-22-13 11:51 AM
    I just want to say that according to my research, this phone is FAST with a great battery life and I believe this hardware was put together in a very conscious way so that the OS would shine...imagine if this had a quad core....lol....it might be to quick and half the battery life.....lol.....but all valid points on this forum
    03-22-13 11:53 AM
314 12345 ...