Can someone explain this to me? It seems these things are standard for 2013 so I'm just not sure I get why they went with 2012 specs. I understand 2 gig of ram is on par, but what about the rest? I'm still excited for the phone and hope it does well, but also hoping there is a reason they didn't worry about the these specs as I would like to know that this phone will still be relevant in a year if I purchase it.

I know this probably comes off a little negative, but thought this would be one of the better places to get knowledgeable responses.
    CLCL likes this.
    03-22-13 10:14 AM
    The OS doesn't need it and better battery life with more appropriate "Engine", I guess the word would be optimized.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 10:16 AM
    might be a tad early for quads and 13mp, but I see your point. S4 is not out yet, HTCOne too. Z10 is not the high end BB needs, its only a stepping stone for what is next. THat next step (quad) should come sooner rather than later though.
    Graheem likes this.
    03-22-13 10:18 AM
    And holiday season is way too late!
    osbook and ajst222 like this.
    03-22-13 10:19 AM
    The Z10 runs fine with Dual Cores, the experience on the phone is pretty good with a good marriage between the BB10 software and the hardware (few minor bugs and tweaks needed, these may not 'all' get addressed for a while, who knows)

The current 8mp camera isn't the top of its range when compared to iPhone5, Nokia & Samsung, it does win in some aspects, not in others, so I would say, its part of the camera club now, but when your dealing with Samsung, who are king of specs, Blackberry will not be over taking them in that domain for a good while.

^ above is just my thoughts, I'm sure someone else can give a more technical answer.
    Acumenight, yasmar and xiaohuaxing like this.
    03-22-13 10:20 AM
    My guess is because it isn't needed
    03-22-13 10:22 AM
    the OS doesn't need the quad..I never saw any king of lag my Z10.
    03-22-13 10:22 AM
    if you could refer back to what Bla1ze has explained in CB.com podcast #91, it has something to do with the OS can be fully optimized with just the dual-core horse power. if it runs great on the dual-core, it seems like there is no point of putting more on it, which sounds like a waste of resources, when you can save space just by putting the dual core processors. plus, adding two more processors on the existing spec would result into higher price on the consumer end. do correct me if i'm wrong
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    03-22-13 10:24 AM
    I don't think it's early for Quads. The LG Optimus has a quad and I believe there are a few others. I guess if the iPhone 5s stays dual core, then maybe Z10 can still claim to have relevant specs for 2013 launch. I'm not so worried about the camera as I'm am about overall performance in comparison to the competition. I do understand the BB experience argument, but will that be enough as I'll have this phone for the next couple years as I'm not looking to upgrade a year after buying it. Maybe I'll wait until the next as I would have at quad 4/8, similar to what GS4 will use will make its way into the updated Z10 that I'm guessing will come out toward the end of the year. I still think the time is now and think this points to previous tenancies use older specs in new phones. I do think it would be bada$$ if this phone can keep up with the Quad 4s simply because the OS is that efficient, but is it?
    nycspaces. and amp323 like this.
    03-22-13 10:27 AM
    Quad core so Android can run ads on it 24x7.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 10:29 AM
    plus, quad-core would consume more power - thus require larger battery capacity.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    03-22-13 10:29 AM
    Right and formula 1 engines are only 2.4 litre while nascar is 5.8 litre... and which cars are faster. It's not what you have but how you use it. My laptop only has 2 cores... lets see any Android compete with it

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by EauRouge; 03-22-13 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typo
    03-22-13 10:30 AM
    It just proves that Android and iOS to an extent need cpu's with quad cores in order for their OS to be fluid and efficient. Whereas BB10 has proved that you dont need a quadcore cpu to make the OS silky smooth and efficient.

As for 13mp cameras??, again higher numbers doesnt necessarily mean better quality pics. For me the Z10 camera is good enough and the OS is nice and smooth without having to worry about my battery running out halfway through the day due to a quadcore cpu.
    03-22-13 10:30 AM
    My S3 quad core lags more than my dual core z10... unbelievable.. something must be really good with bb10!

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 10:31 AM
    Why should it be higher cost for the consumer if you can get a GS4 for the same price?
    03-22-13 10:31 AM
    Same reason the iPhone 5 isn't quad core. Doesn't need it. Android devices are a whole different ball park when it comes to the power needed to run it smoothly
    03-22-13 10:33 AM
    Why should it be higher cost for the consumer if you can get a GS4 for the same price?
    This might sound like a technicality, but you can't actually "get" a GS4 at all yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 10:36 AM
    Because its not the Aristo
    /thread
    03-22-13 10:38 AM
    People really need to get off the specs tip. Those numbers are just for the stupid consumers who have no understanding of what optimization is. Take for example the HTC one with its 4 mp camera, people will go "Wtf not enough megapixelz" but have 0 understanding of signal to noise ratio when there's more megapixels. Nor how the HTC camera sensor actually captures bigger pixels, taking in more light.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 10:39 AM
    Quad is just a gimmick imo.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 10:47 AM
    We are in the experience race, not the specs race.
    03-22-13 10:48 AM
    it's also possible that BB apps aren't optimized for more than two cores. . it's no different than a computer. . you can't throw a 12-core CPU at microsoft paint and expect better results.

and, cramming more pixels in a sensor doesn't always net better results. . the Z10 appears to do rather well for a phone despite only being 8MP. . besides, if you truly need a high-quality 13MP image for every photo you take then you need a digital SLR, not a phone.
    03-22-13 10:48 AM
    When an OS is brand new you need a lot of time to stabilize it. One of the key factors in getting it stable is stabilizing all your device drivers so that you don't have to worry about them and focus on the core OS instead.
    Once your core OS is stable enough you can go ahead and play around with different pieces of hardware. The components which are in the Z10 were probably chosen way more in advance just for this very purpose but given the tight schedule there was not enough time to fiddle around with different pieces of camera hardware.. Why others can go ahead and change specs every 6 months is because they don't have to worry about the Core OS so much.
    Regarding Dual Core CPU I know for a fact that the cascades based UI of the Z10 runs on the GPU rather than the CPU and it is GUARANTEED through smart OS scheduling to have a 60 FPS frame rate at all times. That is why people don't see any UI lag on the Z10. The GPU in the Z10 is powerful enough to handle everything thrown at it i.e. mobile games,HD video,UI etc.
    03-22-13 10:50 AM
    I love specs. Well implemented, I believe that they DO add to the user experience. All things being equal (an OS I like, no increase in price, no decrease in performance in other areas), I'll take the higher spec-ed phone any day.

Having said that, high specs don't necessarily mean better performance, and shouldn't be the biggest consideration by far, IMHO.
    03-22-13 10:51 AM
    I used to be all about specs too, but why does it matter if it's quad core if it runs without lag? (the lag that there is can be taken care of with more optimization)

I handles games pretty well too... I haven't noticed it preform any worse then my S3 (yes the S3 is old now spec wise... it was still blazing fast in my eyes even when I sold it last week)

Camera I guess can be improved if you look at it... but at the end of the day it's still just going to be another cell phone camera. I'm not going to get rid of my nikon 5100 anytime soon
    Oilers24 likes this.
    03-22-13 10:53 AM
314 123 ...