You should have brought all this up with your carrier. I am in Canada, and I know of people in the US who have the Z10. We own a number of these phones. We do not have the problems you are encountering. I was not aware that Blackberry has no support where you are. I thought they were global. They advertise they are global.
    Yes they are global, but they focus their limited resources on areas where the cost/benefit is useful.

For example, they announced last month that they will NOT market the Z10 in Japan. Pointless market for them.

Getting back to Switzerland, I had this discussion with the OP a week and a half ago in a different thread here. I did some research.

So you thought that Blackberry marketshare in the USA is bad? Do you have any idea what Blackberry marketshare is in Switzerland right now? One-third of ONE PERCENT.

Honestly, with that sort of "following" in Switzerland, it doesn't exactly surprise me that they aren't expending lots of resources there.

Whereas Indonesia for example, which just launched the Z10 a couple of days ago?

• 30 times larger population than Switzerland
    • Blackberry's share of the local smartphone market: 50 percent

Some people on CB just wrote yesterday that they personally paid somewhere between $1,000 and $1,600 to get a Z10 in Indonesia in February.

Yeah, I can forgive Blackberry if they're focusing a few more sales resources towards that country.
    03-05-13 02:23 AM
    You are leaving because navigation on blackberry maps didn't work and settings was slow to open? Settings have already been fixed and there is multiple navigation software that you can try....
    wasabiGT likes this.
    03-05-13 02:41 AM
    No wonder the map app is a clusterf**k...
    Seriously if this is true they are using the two main competitors in mapping (outside of google)...Navteq(Nokia) for mapping data (good choice though) and Tom-Tom for traffic...LOL
    On top of this they have some third party do the development...they should have just bit the bullet and paid for Nokia to do it for them or Tom Tom until they can afford to do it themselves...they will never have mapping data but BB could have written their own software for navigation or bought a company outright...

Considering mapping and picture taking are a couple of the main wants from smartphone buyers these days, they really should have done a better job on the navigation side of things.
    Writing a top-tier mobile mapping app is NOT a trivial undertaking. Ask Apple, a company that has some of the best engineering talent in the world and money coming out of their ears and they still couldn't compete head-to-head with Google.

TCS has developed mapping apps for all sorts of top-tier platforms (check the links I provided up there^), and also the US government and military, among others.

The problem for a company like Blackberry is if they "put all their eggs in one basket", it becomes an extremely risky thing.

For example, if they just asked TomTom to develop an app, there's a very good chance Apple would just buy them and that would end up being a disaster. If they did anything similiar with either Google, Nokia or Microsoft, all of whom are major smartphone competitors, that's another disaster waiting to happen.

I actually think it was, strategically-speaking, probably a smart move on Blackberry's part to spread out the resources on that app the way they did. (Assuming my guess about the division of responsibilities is correct.)
    03-05-13 02:44 AM
    - As someone coming from a Nexus 4 with its post-project-butter UI, I couldn't help but notice that BB 10 is a bit schizophrenic when it comes to fluidity and speed. Native BB 10 apps are lightning fast. Just look at CB 10. Great app, extremely fast, looks great. But then again, that kind of speed isn't apparent all over the device. As soon as I enter the Settings menu, things start becoming jerky. Feels a lot like Android did before project butter. I've heard that this has to do with the fact that the settings are still implemented using Adobe Air. From a user perspective, I couldn't care less about the reasons behind the lag. All that matters to me is that it's there and that I find it annoying. Apart from the settings menu, apps load significantly slower on the Z10 than on, say, a Nexus 4 or an iPhone 5. Overall, it's certainly not as bad as a SGS III with its overloaded Touchwiz UI, but it's not as snappy as it could be and I find that a significant blemish on an otherwise beautiful OS.
    Completely agree here. Not on the Nexus part (because I haven't used one) but on the settings menu and some other places as well. The settings menu has ALWAYS looked choppy and not smooth ever since they were demo-ing those phones on videos. Clearly they have not fixed that yet but they need to be ensuring this stuff is ironed out before US release.

Other "smoothness" issues are ones such as the animation to switch between one app to the other when you have say 4 open (browser included) - if you do a very quick minimize then tap to reopen a different minimized app, there is a jitter/stutter as the app is maximizing/minimizing. It's not a deal breaker and I won't be returning the phone for that, but it would be nice if those things get smoothed out soon. This issue is also apparent on the playbook when specific apps were open. I would like to see those completely eliminated.

Despite that, once you're in any app every thing is super smooth. Surely BB will get it fixed soon.
    03-05-13 03:38 AM
    I really miss my 9860. Os 7.1 environment was much better and simplified too. In Z10, I can't set different ringtone for different mail account & SMS. Diffucult to identify which mail might have come in mail box since everytime only red light is visible. No data encryption and thus no security. Its challenge to BB how to satisfy exisitng customers.
    03-05-13 04:18 AM
    Mine doesn't do that!

/plunks head in sand

03-05-13 04:23 AM
    @privthi64 you could always try hub++ from app world. Had a slight issue with it and story maker but seems resolved with o/s upgrade

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 04:47 AM
    I really miss my 9860. Os 7.1 environment was much better and simplified too. In Z10, I can't set different ringtone for different mail account & SMS. Diffucult to identify which mail might have come in mail box since everytime only red light is visible. No data encryption and thus no security. Its challenge to BB how to satisfy exisitng customers.
    Data encryption is back with the new os update and you can set individual contact ring tones for calls and messaging.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 04:59 AM
    You can turn your space bar off so it won't do auto correction. Go to settings than to language and inputs than select automaited assistance and turn off enable auto correction and that will fix your space bar issue.
    03-08-13 11:52 AM
    Hi there,

I totally agree with this guy. I am also extremely disappointed with the Blackberry Z10. As usual the consistent excuse: "We know and it will eventual come". Too late Blackberry! The lack of useful apps is just horrific. Making Android apps available based on old Android OS is outright pathetic and poor judgement. You missed the train! People have been venting for years,expressing of what kind of Apps they wanted but that seemed to fall on dead ears. At this point you have to give App Developer more option and playground if you want to safe your company, quiet frankly. Unfortunately, most Tech Nerds are good with inventing and playing with tech issues but really bad when it comes to marketing. Only a guy like Steve Jobs could safe your sorry behinds. But unfortunately he is gone now. I have been fighting for years to become a Apple customer but here we are, I will ditch all my BlackBerry phones (4) and my tablet and will start buying Apple products because Android is really bad when it comes to privacy infringements and viruses. You might as well sign away your personal life and information. But that is another story. Signing off
    03-08-13 12:15 PM
    blah
    What an odd rant.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 04:22 PM
    like what apps?

Hi there,

I totally agree with this guy. I am also extremely disappointed with the Blackberry Z10. As usual the consistent excuse: "We know and it will eventual come". Too late Blackberry! The lack of useful apps is just horrific. Making Android apps available based on old Android OS is outright pathetic and poor judgement. You missed the train! People have been venting for years,expressing of what kind of Apps they wanted but that seemed to fall on dead ears. At this point you have to give App Developer more option and playground if you want to safe your company, quiet frankly. Unfortunately, most Tech Nerds are good with inventing and playing with tech issues but really bad when it comes to marketing. Only a guy like Steve Jobs could safe your sorry behinds. But unfortunately he is gone now. I have been fighting for years to become a Apple customer but here we are, I will ditch all my BlackBerry phones (4) and my tablet and will start buying Apple products because Android is really bad when it comes to privacy infringements and viruses. You might as well sign away your personal life and information. But that is another story. Signing off
    03-08-13 04:59 PM
    Ummm...Carsten...really! You signed up at CB to make your first post another missed-train rant? I am sorry you feel aggrieved. Personally, I admire Apple for lots of things. My lady has an iPhone5, a device as slick as it is, build quality and all the rest, but which I find flat out annoying. Jobs did great things, no argument, but canonizing him into god-hood is bit much. Frankly I think the contemporary Jobs is Heins.

Tell us, Carsten...did some company or entity pay you to come here and rant?
    03-10-13 01:01 AM
    No company would bother doing that. People like other phones, who cares.

The thing that gets me every time is that blackberry gives me the few things I liked about Android but it does so in a simpler way. This includes the file browser, and full attachment support.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 01:59 PM
64 123