I see the Z10 has an encryption option. What are the advantages and disadvantages of encrypting?
    11-18-13 03:01 PM
    I see the Z10 has an encryption option. What are the advantages and disadvantages of encrypting?
    Advantages.... data is encrypted, no one can just pull your SD card and read what is on it.

Disadvantage... data is encrypted, you have a problem with you berry and you might lose the info. Take more time and power to read and write encrypted info.
    11-18-13 03:09 PM
    Take more time and power to read and write encrypted info.
    Haven't noticed an impact on battery life or responsiveness.

Posted via Z10 on the best touchscreen keyboard.
    11-18-13 03:45 PM
    I have read that the sdcard if encrypted is encrypted to a SPECIFIC BB phone. If there are any problems with the phone, the data on the sdcard canNOT be recovered. Check out if that is actually correct.

If you keep your sd card backed up routinely that might not be an issue as you would have a backup copy.
    11-18-13 03:52 PM
    I have read that the sdcard if encrypted is encrypted to a SPECIFIC BB phone. If there are any problems with the phone, the data on the sdcard canNOT be recovered. Check out if that is actually correct.

If you keep your sd card backed up routinely that might not be an issue as you would have a backup copy.
    That is correct. The key to decrypt the data is stored on the phone under your password protection. If you completely wipe your phone and don't restore anything then your card has to be redone. This also means it cannot be put into another phone (I have tried a restore of one device onto another to see if it carries the key over).

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 07:49 PM
    Can you encrypt select items? For example, some things I don't care to have encrypted like my call log, text messsages and such. I would like to encrypt my Maps, Contacts, Box and Evernote apps. Basically anything that auto uploads to the cloud is fine to encrypt on your phone because you already have another copy...maybe encrypting pictures but I don't really care about that as much.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 09:55 PM
    Can you encrypt select items? For example, some things I don't care to have encrypted like my call log, text messsages and such. I would like to encrypt my Maps, Contacts, Box and Evernote apps. Basically anything that auto uploads to the cloud is fine to encrypt on your phone because you already have another copy...maybe encrypting pictures but I don't really care about that as much.

Posted via CB10
    From what I have seen on the BB10 device, you can encrypt the main memory/storage and/or the SD card. If you want to go more granular than that, you will need to look at a 3rd party app, but I doubt you will be able to encrypt anything like your Contacts and not have the main Contacts app not puke on the fact that it doesn't have "normal" access to the data.

To be honest you should just use the native BB10 encryption and be done with it because it isn't a performance hit on your device and app access to data all functions normally because the encryption is at the file system level and not on an individual file basis.
    11-18-13 10:16 PM
    Right but what if your phone bites the dust? Someone said you can't retrieve anything from another device even with a restore...

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 11:18 PM
    Right but what if your phone bites the dust? Someone said you can't retrieve anything from another device even with a restore...

Posted via CB10
    If your phone bites the dust, then you aren't getting anything off the main memory anyway. The data encrypted on your SD card will be "lost", but that is the risk with encryption. That's also the point that someone else can't get your data.

If you are worried about losing your data, then make sure you back up your device regularly (for app data) and then also sync all your files to your computer. You should be doing these anyway in case you lose your phone.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    11-19-13 06:28 AM
    I think I misunderstood then. So you can restore everything to a replacement phone (except the SD card) if you have a backup? Well then that's not so bad. Can you backup/sync the information on the SD card to your computer even if it's encrypted? In this case if you lose your phone and SD card all you have to do is restore for the phone and sync for the SD card and you're all set? That's not so bad. You would have to do this anyway if you lose your phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:15 AM
    I think I misunderstood then. So you can restore everything to a replacement phone (except the SD card) if you have a backup? Well then that's not so bad. Can you backup/sync the information on the SD card to your computer even if it's encrypted? In this case if you lose your phone and SD card all you have to do is restore for the phone and sync for the SD card and you're all set? That's not so bad. You would have to do this anyway if you lose your phone.

Posted via CB10
    You say "restore everything" and I would point you to the main categories of backup and restore as they are listed in BB Link. From everything I have heard and seen the backup and restore process will put your main phone os and apps back the way you had them, but I am hesitant to say "everything" because I didn't write it and it isn't documented in detail anywhere.

Yes you can use BB Link to set up synchronization with your device so you can always have files added on your phone or computer synced to the other. I recommend at a minimum you sync all your SD card data that isn't synced into it (like you might sync music to your phone from iTunes and therefore don't need to re-sync it back to the computer) to your computer. Since the encryption is at the file system level, the OS is dynamically handling the encryption and decryption so you will never see it (and may actually forget its turned on) even when synching files or accessing the SD card over the USB cable connection to your phone.

You got it - its not so bad as long as you take precautions of backing up your phone and sync your data. Technically you could re-create the configuration on your phone by re-downloading your apps and reconfiguration your email/calendar/contacts/etc and some people prefer to do this as it is "cleaner", but if you have the backup then you can choose to use it or not. Synching your data is just like copying the data on your computer to an external USB drive as a "backup" incase your computer dies.

The only downside to this whole thing is the USB file copy process isn't exactly fast, so you will set up your sync relationships and then walk away for a little bit if it is gigs of data. I read somewhere BB sped this process up some but I haven't seen a night and day difference recently. Technically this also works over WiFi if you have it enabled in Lync, but it isn't exactly fast either.

Oh - one last thing. The sync process in BB Link today only adds new files from the source to the target, it never replicates a delete. So if you sync your photos for example and they are copied to your computer, and then you delete the photo from your device then you will also need to delete it from your computer.

I hope that wasn't overload.
    11-19-13 12:31 PM
    Yes that is called unidirectional or one way sync. I have had to deal with this already. I hope two way sync isn't too far off. It's annoying to have to delete duplicates on the PC.

I know BlackBerry has to be aware of the problems with BlackBerry Link. We need Link to look more like BDS...

So then when you restore it brings the OS with it?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:36 PM
    Advantage: Lost stolen phone is secure if encrypted an password protected.
    Disadvantage : I own all your info.
    11-19-13 02:31 PM
    Yes that is called unidirectional or one way sync. I have had to deal with this already. I hope two way sync isn't too far off. It's annoying to have to delete duplicates on the PC.

I know BlackBerry has to be aware of the problems with BlackBerry Link. We need Link to look more like BDS...

So then when you restore it brings the OS with it?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure I would agree it's a "one way sync" because files originally copied from one location to the other are not removed from the destination when they are removed from the source. A sync is more than just a copy.
    Probably a more concise term is a "one way copy", and technically for each folder you have defined in a sync relationship you have two "one way copies" in place. Sorry to get all semantical on you.

I agree BB needs true 2 way sync. I debated using SyncToy from Microsoft to perform this action because it is a true syncing tool, but thought better of it since in theory this is good enough for now and "baked in" to the product.
    11-19-13 05:15 PM
    Correct. It should be changed from sync to copy in Link as that's what it's really doing. If it were one way sync whenever you delete a file on the device it would be reflected on the PC. If it were two way sync it would update the device whenever you removed something from the PC.

Whatever. Who cares anyway? The point is we need it to work better!

Posted via CB10
    HotFix likes this.
    11-20-13 07:10 AM
    Correct. It should be changed from sync to copy in Link as that's what it's really doing. If it were one way sync whenever you delete a file on the device it would be reflected on the PC. If it were two way sync it would update the device whenever you removed something from the PC.

Whatever. Who cares anyway? The point is we need it to work better!

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, I can't help the clarification on semantics, it's been ingrained into me due to the nature of job. :-)

I agree it doesn't matter though as the product needs to work better.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 09:52 AM