I'm just curious. I used sachesi and updated my OS and I skipped the backup step on both my Q10 and Z10 and had no problems. I thought doing a backup was just for settings and other saved things and I never care about that stuff. But seeing the way people really stress (BACK UP YOUR PHONE FIRST).I'm starting to think there are other reasons. Was me skipping that step putting my phones at risk? Or are people just dramatic about personal settings? My curiosity is peaked.
    03-04-14 12:42 PM
    In case something gets messed up and you have to restore it to factory/restore with autoloader.

You'd want a backup then.

Via Z30 10.3.0.1337
    03-04-14 12:47 PM
    But if it gets messed up can't I just reload the OS with sachesi
    03-04-14 12:48 PM
    But if it gets messed up can't I just reload the OS with sachesi
    Quite often, if it's messed up then Sachesi won't work. Then you'd have to use an autoloader.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 12:52 PM
    Yes you were dumb for skipping a backup and be glad it didn't come back to bite you in your azz. Wait till Sachesi fails and you lose everything. You will be sorry then. Unless you don't care about starting over and installing everything again. I think that is the most tedious part!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 03-04-14 at 01:16 PM.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    03-04-14 12:55 PM
    It is stressed so often for the people who don't want to lose anything. When you have it written everywhere and you don't so it, you cannot complain when you lose data or settings because of it....

I have all my important stuff backed up anyway and setting up takes me 10 to 20 minutes.... so I side with you on this issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 12:56 PM
    Especially for contact information. The most important thing evaaaar!
    I can deal with setting and accounts, but can't mess with my contacts.
    I have about 600 with tons of info for each. Can't lose that!!!!!
    jaydee5799 and EagleStephen like this.
    03-04-14 12:59 PM
    Also - I backup my documents, photos and other media. . . some photos can't be replaced if they're not backed up and you lose them!

It's also nice just to add a password to my various accounts without having to re-enter the entire account info.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-04-14 01:14 PM
    Lose your important info once and you'll know why.

Posted via CB10 Q10
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    03-04-14 01:18 PM
    Just once........
    03-04-14 01:46 PM
    But in an aspect if me using Gmail for contacts and not having any settings or information on my phone I'm worried about. Also I enjoy tweaking the settings and setting up accounts and all that stuff. So not backing up isn't an issue?
    03-04-14 01:57 PM
    But in an aspect if me using Gmail for contacts and not having any settings or information on my phone I'm worried about. Also I enjoy tweaking the settings and setting up accounts and all that stuff. So not backing up isn't an issue?
    For you, apparently not. But that wasn't your question. For everyone else it's not just contacts and settings. I'd say the majority of us want to keep our photos, videos, docs, and all other data including apps safely backed up in case something should happen to our devices - wiped, stolen, broken, etc.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 02:12 PM
    It depends on what you might lose if the install fails and the OS needs to be loaded in a destructive way. Settings, contacts, calendars, etc - important or not? Backup or not.
    03-04-14 02:38 PM
    For you, apparently not. But that wasn't your question. For everyone else it's not just contacts and settings. I'd say the majority of us want to keep our photos, videos, docs, and all other data including apps safely backed up in case something should happen to our devices - wiped, stolen, broken, etc.

Posted via CB10
    That was my question. Settings and stuff. I assumed pictures, music, docs. Anything not settings would have been blanketed under the "stuff" part. That was my assumption at least. So my question was answered. Thank you
    03-04-14 02:44 PM
    That was my question. Settings and stuff. I assumed pictures, music, docs. Anything not settings would have been blanketed under the "stuff" part. That was my assumption at least. So my question was answered. Thank you
    Well, your question has convinced me to try checking my various settings and making a comprehensive list of stuff that I have setup or created that would need to be checked when doing a destructive OS reload. For instance, I forget that I have a static ip address for the phone and that my desktop shortcuts rely on that - so if I forget to restore the static ip address I'm kind of wondering why they don't work. There are my auto-word-substitutions. And there are any number of such other things - my own html file which is my homepage that needs to be reset in the browser. My clock alarm tone, all those tons for individual emails and bbm, etc.
    03-04-14 05:19 PM
    I myself have never backed up my z10 since last April. Usually what I do is to save all my photos in the SD card, and contacts are taken care by Google. Some documents I save them by evernote. Really there is anything that I need to back up at this point, and it took me like hours to do so. For me, it is simply waste of time. Regarding about settings, I always tweak it, and it takes just about 15 mins.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 05:24 PM
    Well, your question has convinced me to try checking my various settings and making a comprehensive list of stuff that I have setup or created that would need to be checked when doing a destructive OS reload. For instance, I forget that I have a static ip address for the phone and that my desktop shortcuts rely on that - so if I forget to restore the static ip address I'm kind of wondering why they don't work. There are my auto-word-substitutions. And there are any number of such other things - my own html file which is my homepage that needs to be reset in the browser. My clock alarm tone, all those tons for individual emails and bbm, etc.
    Oh dang!! If I was you I would most certainly do a backup. Lol. That would take forever to set up. For me it's just add my accounts and download the apps I like. Then I'm done. When I start my phone from scratch I always get that "new phone" feeling. ESPECIALLY when I went from 10.1 to 10.2.2. It was a night and day difference so very exciting lol. But I'm a bit nerdy with phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 05:25 PM
    Beats me. I never back anything up from my device specifically lol. Everything I need is stored elsewhere anyway, that way I can wipe my device and never worry. I was burned by bad backups in the past so learned very quickly to never rely on them.
    FF22, vwracing and homer1475 like this.
    03-04-14 06:00 PM
    The future is sync. My contacts and calendar are synced with outlook.com . Photos ate on media card ( good enough for me) and apparently you can sync /copy photos to the cloud.

I presume backups are for those who like their settings and layout.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 06:12 PM
    Technically if you are not using the built-in phone memory to hold your valuable data because they are stored either in the cloud or on the SD card, the worst that could happen is to lose all the phone settings (can be re-entered after restore through autoloader) right? Can bad update destroy things stored on SD card if SD card is attached while doing update?
    03-04-14 07:47 PM
    If your SD card is encrypted, I'd assume having to wipe your device would result in losing access to that.

But like most people, all of my stuff is synced so I don't bother with backups.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 07:50 PM
    "data is king" something my teacher taught me backing up data can save your life in the IT world.
    03-04-14 08:10 PM
    Technically if you are not using the built-in phone memory to hold your valuable data because they are stored either in the cloud or on the SD card, the worst that could happen is to lose all the phone settings (can be re-entered after restore through autoloader) right? Can bad update destroy things stored on SD card if SD card is attached while doing update?
    Not necessarily but even the sd card could be corrupted for some reason. I a backup of it might be a good move occasionally. And as noted, an encrypted card can be tied to the device/os. So a loss there could affect the entire card.
    03-04-14 09:15 PM
    Ya backups on bb10 take foreeeeeever. And even longer to reload a phone. Legacy devices took under a minute to backup a restore

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    03-04-14 10:35 PM
    I'm just curious. I used sachesi and updated my OS and I skipped the backup step on both my Q10 and Z10 and had no problems. I thought doing a backup was just for settings and other saved things and I never care about that stuff. But seeing the way people really stress (BACK UP YOUR PHONE FIRST).I'm starting to think there are other reasons. Was me skipping that step putting my phones at risk? Or are people just dramatic about personal settings? My curiosity is peaked.
    A backup isn't necessary if all of your email, calendar, and contacts are synched with an external service (whether it be work email, Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.). You can load the OS, setup your accounts, and your info re-sync. IMO, backups take too long, so I load OS's and re-add accounts. I then re-download apps as necessary. I don't store data, such as contacts, calendar entries, etc. solely on my device. Everything synchronizes with something...
    03-04-14 10:52 PM
45 12