OK. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. I finally had a quiet morning at the office so I tried a systematic approach to tracking down my high battery use at work. It turns out to be Wi-Fi, not AT&T. When I turned off Wi-Fi, I got current draw (according to Battery Guru) similar to what I get at home (with Wi-Fi on). That is, between 0.01 and 0.02 amps at idle with the screen off. With Wi-FI on, it is more in the range of 0.08 amps.

I tried to move the work Wi-Fi profile to the top of the save list but that made no difference. For now, I have the work Wi-Fi profile disabled but Wi-Fi service on. I will see what that does.
    04-11-13 07:10 AM
    T-Mobile with weak signal levels, and usually getting 8 hours with heavy use. Devs or blackberry, we still need more granular reporting please. Like androids, but BlackBerry10 stylized, built in utility.

Attachment 150048

Posted on a Z10 via CB10
    What app are you using here?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 07:48 AM
    That's great. I had mine fully charged yesterday morning and only this morning did it say it was "below 20%."
    04-11-13 08:03 AM
    "Why does my battery life totally NOT suck?"

While I wouldn't say it sucks it definitely isn't anything to brag about. You really haven't done much with your phone on the day you've reported on. Sounds like you've been in the office all day with the phone sitting on your desk. You haven't used any apps, phone calls have been few it seems and your active frames aren't too active. (weather, calendar and battery monitor).

Thanks for sharing. I only wish you had a Q10 and used it the exact same way so we could compare.
    04-11-13 08:13 AM
    That doesn't really look like stellar battery life to me, actually. That's between 4 and 5 percent per hour. The Droid DNA I had was around three. Same with the iPhone. The Z10 I have is around 5-6 percent. The battery "hog" on my phone is data transfer, hands down. On weekends, when I don't get a lot of email, I can get to the end of the day with 70% remaining. During the week, it's closer to 25-30%.
    04-11-13 08:15 AM
    I have a four day old z10 and my battery is absolutely horrible to the point that I wanna sell this phone ASAP. Light testing with mo wife drains my battery 10 percent, by light I mean sending and receiving a total of ten messages only!!

I unplugged this morning at 8 and by 12 my battery is at 50 with wife on during that time and receiving and reading ten emails plus around 10 try messages. I have location service turned off and am on 2g data. Is this normal or can I do anything about it? I have never used a device with battery life this bad...

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 08:22 AM
    I am on software 10.10.90 is my battery life normal or do you think I should have it replaced? It's so frustrating to the point that I can't enjoy what a great phone this is because I'm constantly worrying about the battery. Apps that aren't running on the background don't draw power right?

Could whatsapp or even the app bx battery info be the cause?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 08:30 AM
    I can understand the complaints only because there is definitely some kind of break in period with these phones and power usage. My phone was terrible on battery first 3 or so days (same with my sisters and a friends) it has now turned around and is much better. The main question we should ask before battery talk is, when did you get your phone?
    04-11-13 08:35 AM
    What app are you using here?
    It's from an Android (I assume), not a BB10 app. As far as I know, there's no way to produce an app with exactly those capabilities yet, though I'm working on improvements to Battery Guru that will provide some greater granularity, though still not directly assigning percentages to various subsystems like that. It looks like Android provides such APIs, but BB10 does not. (And I doubt it's possible through the Android runtime on BB10 either, or I'd likely have found where to get the same info for Battery Guru.)
    04-11-13 08:48 AM
    By the way, it's increasingly looking as though while some of us have had no particular issues with battery life since the start (aside from the usual things like decreasing brightness from the default, and allowing a few days for account synchronization and battery level calibration), others have got particular issues which significantly reduce battery life, like, a lot.

At this point, it looks like some issues can be WiFi-related, others are LTE-related (or other cellular network issues).

Lastly, there may be an issue with the "swipe gesture to unlock" feature on some devices.

A new user named zten started a thread to get feedback from people about this. He claimed a significant improvement in battery life immediately after doing this, and others are now posting at the end of the thread reporting similar big improvements. It looks like they may all be people who had really bad (~4h?) battery life before, though so far I see nobody with Battery Guru reporting any hard data on this so I don't consider it conclusive. See http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ng-tip-793352/

There's lots of back and forth in that thread (which you can ignore) between zten and me about BG's data and whether disabling that feature "should" make a difference, but the recent posts at the end of the thread seem to show that for some people it does make a difference.

Would be interesting to see if anyone can demonstrate the difference conclusively for others with a BG graph (showing a before and after change), or other hard data. I simply can't take it as scientific evidence when someone says "wow, got 10h today and only 5h yesterday" given that, as we know, this normally depends almost entirely on how long your screen was active.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    04-11-13 08:58 AM
    Nice to see some people backing up battery claims with proof.

I got pig-roasted and called everything under the sun including a bold faced liar from day one for telling people I had 70-80% battery life left after being off charge for 9 hours, but had no way to prove it.

-Chris-
    04-11-13 09:23 AM
    That doesn't really look like stellar battery life to me, actually. That's between 4 and 5 percent per hour. The Droid DNA I had was around three. Same with the iPhone. The Z10 I have is around 5-6 percent. The battery "hog" on my phone is data transfer, hands down. On weekends, when I don't get a lot of email, I can get to the end of the day with 70% remaining. During the week, it's closer to 25-30%.
    Didn't say it was stellar, I said it didn't suck. And check your math...a 28% drain in 8 hours is a little over 3% per hour, not 4-5% per hour.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:40 AM
    Nice to see some people backing up battery claims with proof.

I got pig-roasted and called everything under the sun including a bold faced liar from day one for telling people I had 70-80% battery life left after being off charge for 9 hours, but had no way to prove it.

-Chris-
    That's exactly why I posted this, I've pretty been branded a liar or told I was in denial about the battery life too.

And I wasn't actually soliciting answers to why I have acceptable battery life, I pretty much know why...it was more a somewhat tongue-in-cheek statement that horrible battery life is not a hallmark of this phone as many people have proclaimed.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:51 AM
    Each of the spikes you see is from being in the hub or cb:

Attachment 150078

By the graph showing, you plugged your phone in @ 5:30 pm so not a true claim

Posted via CB10

Posted from my amazing Z10
    04-11-13 10:06 AM
    That's exactly why I posted this, I've pretty been branded a liar or told I was in denial about the battery life too.

And I wasn't actually soliciting answers to why I have acceptable battery life, I pretty much know why...it was more a somewhat tongue-in-cheek statement that horrible battery life is not a hallmark of this phone as many people have proclaimed.

Posted via CB10
    So the lesson here is, if you let your phone sit all day and dew a few things on it your battery lasts all day...?
    04-11-13 10:28 AM
    So the lesson here is, if you let your phone sit all day and dew a few things on it your battery lasts all day...?
    Yes, just don't let your phone sit in the dew
    TWISM likes this.
    04-11-13 10:34 AM
    I don't think it's so much that, Twism...

As mentioned many people claim 10-20% battery drain per hour while doing NOTHING on the phone... that would be an epidemic of a battery problem if it applied to every device. The way I see this post (and my own experience so far) is that if you have your email accounts and signal setup properly you SHOULD be able to see the phone sit on a table doing not too much for 8-9 hours while consuming MAYBE 20% of the battery.

If I was to take my phone on vacation to the beach and have it sit there in my bag for 9 hours I wouldn't want to take it out and see that it's dead... there are users who are having the experience where 5 hours of very little use is killing their phones. A post like this shows that there is definitely something wrong with their phone OR how it's set up.

I hope that makes sense.

I personally have never ever ever EVER claimed to be a heavy user, I haven't even side loaded an app on this phone yet, but through a work day with a few phone calls and some messages I use between 20% - 30% off charge, which is great because my 9700 used about 15-20% in that same time span so I'm pretty happy with that.

Anybody with heavy drain can see that they are the exception and not the rule - and they need a solution (be it wifi settings, email settings, poor battery, bad phone, poor signal settings, etc.)

-Chris-
    peter9477, TWISM and netwerx1 like this.
    04-11-13 10:50 AM
    I can understand the complaints only because there is definitely some kind of break in period with these phones and power usage. My phone was terrible on battery first 3 or so days (same with my sisters and a friends) it has now turned around and is much better. The main question we should ask before battery talk is, when did you get your phone?
    Hi,
    I had the same experience. I bought my z10 Thursday afternoon, Friday, I went back to the store because I charged the battery Thursday night, Friday morning, lobat! (with totally closed apps)... The salesman told me to have an initial charging which is for 12 hours. I did it,. after that, Sunday, still no luck.. By Monday, I went back and had my battery changed. Now it's Thursday and I noticed that the more I use whatsApp or bbm, my battery lasts for only 4 to 5 hours. I have 2 emails, I have facebook as well.. Do you think what I need to do is to wait until my battery conditions itself??
    04-11-13 11:29 AM
    Hi,
    I had the same experience. I bought my z10 Thursday afternoon, Friday, I went back to the store because I charged the battery Thursday night, Friday morning, lobat! (with totally closed apps)... The salesman told me to have an initial charging which is for 12 hours. I did it,. after that, Sunday, still no luck.. By Monday, I went back and had my battery changed. Now it's Thursday and I noticed that the more I use whatsApp or bbm, my battery lasts for only 4 to 5 hours. I have 2 emails, I have facebook as well.. Do you think what I need to do is to wait until my battery conditions itself??
    It definitely has steadily gotten better for me, wait till the end of the week and see how it is.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 11:40 AM
    Did a power user test.
    Off charger at 645am, constant use, now 2:30 pm not sure if this is good or not
    Note that is pretty much all CB app, FB, and BBM
    Why does my battery life totally NOT suck?-img_00000330.png

04-11-13 12:29 PM
    Did a power user test.
    Off charger at 645am, constant use, now 2:30 pm not sure if this is good or not
    Note that is pretty much all CB app, FB, and BBM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000330.png 
Views:	434 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	150264

I was averaging prob 1.2w discharge for 7hr45 min

04-11-13 12:32 PM
    What claim did I make? I said, here is my battery usage and each of the spikes is from being in the hub or cb. Does it matter if I plugged it in at 5 to last the rest of my day? I don't understand what you are getting at here.
    04-11-13 12:38 PM
    What claim did I make? I said, here is my battery usage and each of the spikes is from being in the hub or cb. Does it matter if I plugged it in at 5 to last the rest of my day? I don't understand what you are getting at here.
    The % remaining in your BG pic would be false cause you recharged

04-11-13 12:44 PM
    I don't think it's so much that, Twism...

As mentioned many people claim 10-20% battery drain per hour while doing NOTHING on the phone... that would be an epidemic of a battery problem if it applied to every device. The way I see this post (and my own experience so far) is that if you have your email accounts and signal setup properly you SHOULD be able to see the phone sit on a table doing not too much for 8-9 hours while consuming MAYBE 20% of the battery.

If I was to take my phone on vacation to the beach and have it sit there in my bag for 9 hours I wouldn't want to take it out and see that it's dead... there are users who are having the experience where 5 hours of very little use is killing their phones. A post like this shows that there is definitely something wrong with their phone OR how it's set up.

I hope that makes sense.

I personally have never ever ever EVER claimed to be a heavy user, I haven't even side loaded an app on this phone yet, but through a work day with a few phone calls and some messages I use between 20% - 30% off charge, which is great because my 9700 used about 15-20% in that same time span so I'm pretty happy with that.

Anybody with heavy drain can see that they are the exception and not the rule - and they need a solution (be it wifi settings, email settings, poor battery, bad phone, poor signal settings, etc.)

-Chris-
    Thanks Chris,

I was unaware of the more prevalent claims about 10-20% per hour drains. My battery serves me well so I haven't paid too much attention to the battery posts so far.
    04-11-13 12:45 PM
    My battery life after conditioning has been better than my torch by a good margin. I even got 3 15 hour days out of a charge, two of those days where the weekend with much less usage but still that's a ton of standby. If polled i would say I'm very pleased with my battery life.
    04-11-13 12:53 PM
58 123