Lets not forget many times you download a good app you read the permissions it wants access to everything on your phone and the cloud.
    02-24-13 12:36 PM
    Dear Bobby:

- On the carrier launch, I'm not sure why this is difficult for people to understand. Different carriers have different test plans, different items in the labs, different launch plans throughout the year etc. This is not new, this is not different. As for the carriers not being committed, I think they've all said they're going to carry Blackberry 10 and are working on it. Even the iPhone 5 had a collosal launch, but wasn't on all carriers in all countries.

As for your sweeping statements about apps, I'd take you more seriously if you didn't do the "Chicken little" thing.

Really? No Native apps? None whatsoever? None at all? Such drama ...

Now that's an answer! Details! It helps people decide for themselves based upon things they can look at! And they can challenge if it's not been their experience or if they know of a fix or a correct procedure. Maybe there is hope for you!

Certainly this is much better than "worse in every way than every other OS out there".

Sure there are. Just not the ones you personally want. Are the people using IM+ pro dreaming it?

(For the record, I agree with you that there are deficiencies. I just can't stand sweeping assertions).

As I said before, there are plenty of people who use the Z10 all the time and have fine battery life. Are they full of crap or imagining things because there experience isn't like yours? There are also plenty who've had your experience.

I suppose. I still think you're likely to find that people using 8 apps at once will be the exception, rather than the rule ...

Oh I agree, there are missing apps. But unless you've personally downloaded and tried all 70,000 apps and determined they're all crap, you're talking out of your ***.

Why not just say, "I can't find the apps I personally want and name them", rather than making a sweeping statement about a library of apps that - for the most part, you haven't actually used.

Your experience is different than mine. I found they stayed because a) they liked the keyboard (one is coming); b) they liked BlackBerry (I'm Canadian and so are most of my BB owning friends); c) they liked BBM; c) they liked the blinking light; d) they liked the removable battery. I certainly don't remember anyone crowing about a trackpad or praising "my gawd - it has BIS!!! WHoohoooo!!!!!!!" They don't even know what it does.

First, thanks for getting into detail! This I like! It provides specifics!

Ahh - so now you're calling me dumb. I see. Would I be dumb to use this (non-existant) app?

BlackBerry World - IM+ Pro for BlackBerry 10

I did. And it seemed to be forums (not Blackberry) saying it was coming. In truth, I doubt Blackberry will ever mention it because of the ... controversy.
    Sigh.
    What surprises me most is someone who has closed his mind off to most reasonable gripes/complaints/concerns etc, actually having the gall to tell someone else that 'There's hope for you'
    Do you even have a Z10 to check anything out on or do you limit yourself to commenting on other's opinions who are actually trying to run day to day with this device, with no personal experience whatsoever?

I don't need to download 70,000 apps to realise the app selection is appalling, just as I didn't need to download 70k ebooks on my PlayBook to realise how awful the app selection was.
    I do think this device has potential, I think when it gets a Jelly Bean Android emulator and the US launch comes round, there will be more apps available, but I also think it's inexcusable that it was released in this state for ROW.

People have taken a gamble on BlackBerry. Customers. Around the world. In the UK. In the UAE. All over. They gambled based on what they expect and know from this company. Because most of them weren't involved in the PlayBook fiasco.
    When the lack of BIS/email functionality/cross platform chat hits them on their new smartphone they are going to be pissed.

BB10, so far, keeps nothing that people loved about legacy OS devices, and adds in half assed versions of Android/iOS features.
    That's a recipe for disaster. It will change, but at the moment, it's a disaster.

The bottom line is we're unlikely to agree, here, you want to believe it's all on carriers, I refuse to accept that given the other facts.
    I expected all native key apps to be available at launch if this was meant to be a complete product at launch.
    I expect a company known for email to at least test their client with power users and find the obvious deficiencies, which I note you now acknowledge, but don't comment on how crippling they are.

I will say, I hadn't looked into IM+ as an app.
    It seemed like a good shot.
    Then I noticed it has Skype chat only, and Google chat, out of commonly used programs, at least among most people I know.
    It costs 3.50 pounds when these chat apps, with added functionality are free on other platforms.
    And it's rated 2 out of 5 stars in App World, with reviews describing it as garbage, and saying it doesn't work, and doesn't receive message unless it's active and on the main screen, not even when it's running as an Active Frame.

Honestly, it takes guts to suggest that to someone disgruntled about lacking chat apps.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-24-13 01:06 PM
    This is hilarious.
    It is.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-24-13 01:22 PM
    Love and Hate are the most overused words out there. These words get abused like there's no tomorrow.

I LOVE my wife and son, and I HATE my enemies. I LIKE my BB, and I DISLIKE Apple.

I only LOVE things that are irreplaceable, I only HATE things that won't vanish out of my personal life.

I LIKE things like my BB, and I DISLIKE Apple. Those are things that can be replaced any time.

Some people need to get a life...
    Sorry... I agree.
    02-24-13 01:23 PM
    Sigh.
    What surprises me most is someone who has closed his mind off to most reasonable gripes/complaints/concerns etc, actually having the gall to tell someone else that 'There's hope for you'
    I love to hear what people's reasonable gripes/complaints/concerns are. I just find sweeping generalizations to be pointless and unhelpful. Maybe it's my persnality, but I like specifics. Telling me the specific issues you had with email was very, very helpful. Stating email is far worse here than on every other platform is not. Ditto for apps. It's very different to say, "I couldn't find these specific apps that I need" than to proclaim that the whole entire library of apps (of which you've never tried the vast majority) sucks.

Do you even have a Z10 to check anything out on or do you limit yourself to commenting on other's opinions who are actually trying to run day to day with this device, with no personal experience whatsoever?
    I don't. Actually, I've been trying to decide and waffling back and forth on getting one. I love it when people get specific about where they are hitting specific roadblocks because it helps me make a decision; and it often brings out people who know a solution. Blind "this is the greatest device ever!!!!" statements and sweeping, "OMG - email sucks in every way, compared to every platform in ever circumstance" statements are pointless and unhelpful to me.

BB10, so far, keeps nothing that people loved about legacy OS devices, and adds in half assed versions of Android/iOS features.
    Again, with the sweeping statements! You, personally, find it doesn't keep things that you personally liked. There are plenty of switchers and plenty of upgraders in these forums who've had a great experience. Are they full of **** because they have a different experience than you?

Honestly, it takes guts to suggest that to someone disgruntled about lacking chat apps.
    Again, it's proving a point. You made some sweeping statement that there's no multi-chat apps. I did a quick search and found one. Would have been more helpful if you'd just said, "I wanted WhatsApp 'cause that's what I use and it isn't there." But you went way beyond.

I would love it if you went into specifics on every point you made and just left the over-arching "sky is falling" stuff at the door.
    twstd.reality and Cesare21 like this.
    02-24-13 03:41 PM
    My only problem with the z10, and why I will be returning it, is that the Facebook messenger push notifications are not reliable and don't come on time. It is hard to have a conversation.

Love the phone otherwise, and look forward to when I get one for work.
    02-24-13 03:46 PM
    I had a Curve, then a Bold 9900, and now the Z10. I seriously considered holding out for the S10 as I'd played around with full-screen phones, and not been to flushed with them. But, as I've stuck with BB for years, and I think having no hard keys is ineviatble in the not to distant future, I took the plunge.

The learing curve was a bit steep, but it was just being out of my comfort zone. 5 days in, and I wouldn't swap it for any other handset, BB or not. It has a few anomilies, yes, but no more than others. My wife has been screaming at her iToy since day 1 asking why it won't work/log on to iTunes/Angry Birds has crashed. The faultless phones were in the 90's, when you could drop them down the bog and, use them in a fight, prop up a wonky table then take a call from your Mum.

I guess why the Z10 seems to be getting as much bad votes as good is that it's not only getting it from 'fans' of other manufacturers, but also a large percentage of traditional BB users who think it's a sell out,or who just can't be bothered trying something new. I, for one, still feel like I'm using a BB keyboard, despite the fact that it pops off the screen again after use. That in itself tells me that some considerable work has gone into it.

My Mrs used my browser today (she has an iToy 4), and admitted that she was shocked how quickly it loaded, and the quality of the images/vids. It's not a huge leap, but good anyway.

Apps will come. It'll never be Apple, but then, who wants a common fruit?
    02-24-13 04:06 PM
    You will always have haters on every platform and more so for the under dog. Blackberry has a great chance to make a comeback and some just want to spoil it for others. I personally don't care for the new BB10 device but I am also not a hater I support Blackberry for the leaps and bounds they have accomplished in the last few years. Don't let the negativity on the site bother you just ignore the ones you know are just here to spoil the fun!
    elGuapoTorres likes this.
    02-24-13 04:28 PM
    Love mine... perfect first implementation

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 05:03 PM
    They hate it because they are sick of hearing about multi-tasking...

Old Spice Muscle Music on Vimeo
    02-24-13 05:13 PM
    I like where this is going...
    Me too, this thread is rich with misinformation and wild exaggerations! LOVE it! Especially how the OP set the tone with insulting crude and crass jargon like "ur butthurt"

well done!
    /golf clap

Here let me try! Gimme moar top rated apps ported over as janky android abandonware plz! I liek my native appz ghost townez! Cascades? wut?
    02-24-13 05:54 PM
    BUT...There is a back button... in fact a whole lower status bar for each ported app. Flipboard runs the same as it does on iOS or Android... no noticeable lag.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 06:00 PM
    It is simple for someone to say their phone has more apps and anything else sucks. That is the only argument they have left. That one will last another 2-3 months and then it is done. Then what are you left with. Two aging OSs with no potential for new growth and BB designed to take on M2M applications and the future. It sort of sucks when you realize you are about to be passed in the marketplace. The only thing left for the has beens is to spread hate.
    RECOOL and elGuapoTorres like this.
    02-24-13 06:13 PM
    It is simple for someone to say their phone has more apps and anything else sucks. That is the only argument they have left. That one will last another 2-3 months and then it is done. Then what are you left with. Two aging OSs with no potential for new growth and BB designed to take on M2M applications and the future. It sort of sucks when you realize you are about to be passed in the marketplace. The only thing left for the has beens is to spread hate.
    Wow... that personal?

So when that glorious day comes (when BBRY gallops over the trounced enemy), what is in it for you? Do you really think people care that much?
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-24-13 06:20 PM
    Hate's a strong word, but people are disappointed because, among others

- They were told delays were happening because of carrier issues, clearly this isn't the case as carriers still aren't on board.
    - They expected at least native RIM apps at launch, we don't even have Travel.
    - Even though it seemed impossible, the email client is somehow even worse than the PlayBook, and behind every other OS out there at present.
    - People expected QNX would change everything, allow multitasking and efficiency to another level.
    Instead the Z10 offers inferior battery life and inferior multitasking, ie 8 apps only.
    - People were told 70k apps are coming. Inc many top ones.
    As it stands, the app world is awful, there's nowt available to download.
    Awful games, awful apps.
    - Customisation and notifications were dropped/inferior without any prior warning.
    - Lack of clarity on BIS, then it suddenly gets dropped.
    - BBM between OS10 and previous OSes is buggy.
    - Lack of multiplatform chat apps leaving us even more isolated than previous OSes.
    - Apps teased as ready for launch like uTorrent remote are nowhere to be seen.
    - Native apps crash, and crash often, like calendar.
    - The seams show, theres no integration between phone, contacts, BBM etc, for example.

There's other problems too, but that's a decent list to justify anger/disappointment I think.

The interface is ace, it's amazing, everyone should be doing something like this, and the camera is spectacular.
    Course there's no way to easily share pics etc.
    But does this overcome the flaws?
    Just like with the PlayBook, so far it doesn't. We are dependent on updates to make it functional.
    When those updates will come is anyone's guess, and that's the problem.
    Yup, I agree. Apple's uni-tasking of one is far superior to multi-tasking of 8 by BlackBerry. LOL. Sort of sucks when your 10 years behind BB.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-24-13 06:24 PM
    Wow... that personal?

So when that glorious day comes (when BBRY gallops over the trounced enemy), what is in it for you? Do you really think people care that much?
    Was I supposed to understand your comment?
    02-24-13 06:30 PM
    Was I supposed to understand your comment?
    In retrospect, no.

Way too much angst. I get that there is a niche community in every platform that wants death and destruction wrought on every other platform, but I truly believe most believe like and respect technology. the more options, the better.
    twstd.reality likes this.
    02-24-13 06:32 PM
    Why do people hate the z10? Why?
    People just like to be correct and prove that they are right/better/stronger/faster/whatever-er.

Part of the story is that people have gotten very comfortable/happy with writing off RIM/Blackberry as a failure and destined for a future in our memories, only. They don't want to give that up.

The other part of the story is that the Z10 is big news right now. Some fans of other platforms can't handle that, and want to prove that (1) Android/iOS/WP8 is better than BB10 and that, (2) BB10, accordingly, doesn't deserve the attention that it's getting. They want to do this just as badly as some BB lovers (especially those in the honeymoon phase with their new phones) want to believe and make others believe that the Z10 is the best phone available at present.

This happens with all new products, and even with new versions of the same product. eg. New Nissan Pathfinder or Jeep Cherokee are revealed and almost immediately you have Pathfinder and Cherokee fanatics sounding off about how the previous versions were better because they were 'true' sport utility vehicles and not soft utility vehicles like the new ones. Even look around in these forums and you'll see plenty of posts in which people proclaim that their old 9900s are better than the Z10.

It's everywhere, and it won't change. Eventually the next new phone will come out and a lot of the plot disturbers will jump to the corresponding forum for that device. Just ride out the storm and try not to let it bother you. It's really not worth the energy.
    Last edited by zc1; 02-24-13 at 07:31 PM.
    02-24-13 06:42 PM
    Why do people love the z10? Why?

To each their own. Use what you like but dont expect everyone to do the same and question them for not agreeing with your opinion.

Living in the southern USA (far from canada, cant jump across border to get hands on), i cant make informed comments from personal experience. But, as of right now, i dont like (hate is a strong word) the z10 because it does not support full functionality of Bridge. I expect this to be fixed in 10.1 soon, but we all know how expectations go with rimm/bbry. Im happy with my 9930 and am in no rush to get z10 until i know it is what i want. Otherwise i wait for q10.
    02-24-13 07:23 PM
    Why do people keep replying to these threads with such negative titles? Why?

Posted via CB10 from Z10
    HedoBum likes this.
    02-24-13 07:31 PM
    In retrospect, no.

Way too much angst. I get that there is a niche community in every platform that wants death and destruction wrought on every other platform, but I truly believe most believe like and respect technology. the more options, the better.
    OK, we are cool.
    02-24-13 08:20 PM
    I currently use two smartphones every single day. One is a BlackBerry Bold 9930, the other is a rooted Nexus 4. The BlackBerry Z10 can't replace either.

I keep the Bold as a efficient communication tool and I keep the Nexus for everything else. BlackBerry 10 so far seems more like a failed attempt to be hip and cool at the cost of losing the features that originally made BlackBerry devices awesome. Seriously, If you all love the Z10 so much, I can't help but wonder why you didn't just get an Android device sooner instead of waiting through all of the delays to finally get a wannabe Android.

Jelly Bean as it is today is better at communication and work than BB10 is. And of course Android has always been better for media and entertainment. Jesus, I can set LED colors for contacts and accounts on Android and BlackBerry OS7, why can't I do that on BlackBerry 10? I can do cloud based back ups on OS7 and Android. Why can't I do that on BlackBerry 10? I have nearly instant email, easy to manage contact syncing, and individual audio alerts for each contact and account on Android and BlackBerry OS7, why can't I do those things on BlackBerry 10?

It's one thing to like BlackBerry because of what the devices can do for you and it's a completely different thing to like BlackBerry just because you'll like any turd that comes out with the word "BlackBerry" on it. I'm about the functionality, so I'll keep my Bold and Nexus 4 while I wait for BlackBerry to improve the mess that is BB10.
    02-24-13 08:57 PM
    I cant stand the darned battery drain, and its 3 weeks now, still not more than 6 hours. Location off.
    Back to 820..long battery life even with location on. See if we got any update for z10 soon.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 09:20 PM
    Well, given the title, it is easy to see what the tone of the thread would be.

I haven't been around CrackBerry all that long. I have noticed in the comments to press articles that emotions seem to run as high on those websites as they do here. There are certainly a lot of detractors out there who proclaim BB is dead without elaborating on why.

I find it odd that some early adopters expect absolutely everything to be perfect or the company should go to heck in a handbasket. They cite the delays in implementation as the reason why the product should have been perfect right out of the gates. I can't think of any way any company can design and test a product in enough circumstances to ensure that there will be no errors in all circumstances. This is not true of any company out there including Boeing which has had its latest jet grounded due to major faults ... and peoples' lives depend on Boeing getting everything right.

One reason I am not an early adopter is that I don't have the funds to go through the iterations required to get the 95% working solution. I don't think anything that is out there now is 100% even after several iterations. I leave it to others to figure out what is problematic and wait for the subsequent versions before I buy.

It is the prerogative of an early adopter to try something new and reject it fairly quickly when the product does not meet their specific needs. Smart phones are incredibly complex machines now capable of a range of functions not even dreamed of until recent years. Such complexity is bound to result in a higher rate of failure or disappointment given the huge scope of functionality that seems to be expected. This is no different than what people experience in say the purchase of cars. We are often advised not to buy a vehicle in its first year of production given that there will be some bugs and design flaws that will surface and will only be fixed in future production models. I don't see anywhere near the same level of vitriol when new car models come out and yet the list of complaints arising from the new model can grow quickly.

Disappointment with personal experience can certainly be explained to others without having to resort to uncalled for insults to the makers and other users of the device. This is perhaps what I object to most in some of the rants I have read. I distinguish the rants from the obvious troll posts which I scan past without comment.
    Last edited by Enyigma; 02-24-13 at 09:51 PM.
    02-24-13 09:34 PM

I have the strong feeling, if I come back in a year, as you suggest, I'll be seeing two things: BlackBerry (the device maker) gone or sold and BB 10 open-sourced and living on a handful of developers' legacy phones.
    We've been waiting 1+ years for this prediction to happen... The odds aren't in your favour. I thought bears hibernate in the winter? Haha..

Ooo a playful joke on my 69th post..naughty me
    02-24-13 10:53 PM
133 12345 ...