In my miscellaneous folder there's an android folder with tons of sub folders containing mostly duplicative pics and video files. I can't delete them - it says I don't have permission. I just noticed this today as I was organizing my files and folders.

Does anykne else have this?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:45 PM
    I've got it to and it can not be deleted. If it does get deleted it will take some if not all of your other files with it. It will be used for future software updates with the ability to run android apps on your phone

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:52 PM
    So, those files are duplicated and taking up double the memory? And there's nothing you can do about it?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:04 PM
    I noticed this too. I guess I signed up for it when I granted access to the apks to my pics when installing them.

I guess this means they really have access and not just want permission to save files and also this gives strength to the whole "spyware" aura surrounding google, their servers and their apps.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:27 PM
    It's because you have an Android runtime installed on your phone and that's where the android apps go when you install them. You can't remove it because its designated as a system folder. It you removed it, the android runtime wouldn't know where to install the files to.

p.s Android runtime comes built in with Blackberry 10 OS. How big is your Android directory that you're worried about taking so much space?
    southlander likes this.
    12-28-13 04:33 PM
    My is 7 gb and I just installed last leak on my Z10

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:38 PM
    My other folder has 12gb used. Bb should have anticipated this and made the on board storage at least 32gb if not 64gb smh.

? AT&T Z10 STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 ?
    DJM626 and eldricho like this.
    12-28-13 04:51 PM
    p.s Android runtime comes built in with Blackberry 10 OS. How big is your Android directory that you're worried about taking so much space?[/QUOTE]

I suppose it's as big as the other files which it's duplicating in my BlackBerry folders. Those being pictures, videos, documents, downloads. Pretty much everything is duplicated in the android folder. How stupid. I don't even have any android apps so it's completely useless to me.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:55 PM
    I just wish you could remove the Android run time. I really dislike it and have no use for it

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:10 PM
    I just wish you could remove the Android run time. I really dislike it and have no use for it

Posted via CB10
    So you won't ever install apk's on 10.2.1 or sideload now?

12-28-13 05:14 PM
    My other folder has 12gb used. Bb should have anticipated this and made the on board storage at least 32gb if not 64gb smh.

This is one of the reasons why I got the Z10 instead of the 30. Why have all of these great new features if we are going to be limited when utilizing them? I would rather wait to see what the next flagship device might bring. Even if that means waiting 6 months to a year for it. 32 at least. Of course, 64 better.
    12-28-13 05:34 PM
    They're symlinks and do not take up actual space -- the files take up actual space.
    12-28-13 07:00 PM
    They're symlinks and do not take up actual space -- the files take up actual space.
    ^^^This^^^

It basically points to the files to show the Android runtime where they are. It looks like the files are there but they are actually elsewhere.
    12-28-13 07:20 PM
    That's good news, then. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 08:06 PM
    The files are NOT really duplicated. They are referred to as symbolic links by some. They are kind of like Windows Shortcuts. They enable Android apps to find/use your media files including pictures, music and video. They probably do take up some kind of space to create the index info but they are not duplicating the SIZE of your original items.

In some cases you can delete them, but as mentioned CAUTION because you will delete the "real" or original files.

Also another caution, if you try manually backing up your files/folders, Windows will not understand their symbolic nature. So it will happily copy your files from both the native bb folders as well as these Android "copies". That accounts for the time I tried copying/backing up my Playbook (uses the same system) and when trying to copy my 25gigs of data, was going to copy about 50 gigs of data - the originals and the android versions. In that case, it is a true pain for backup routines. Because, some Android apps do create their own data in their folders so to backup, you have to manually find this unique data.

At least, that is my understanding and I'm willing to be corrected.
    12-28-13 08:51 PM
    These folders are shortcuts to the same folders in the bb10 file system

Want proof? Plug into pc and go to same directory and those folders won't be there. It's only seen by bb10 and does not duplicate memory. Leads me to think you may have other reason your running out of space... excess apps, no SD card, small SD card? My current setup is z10 +32gb SD With all my user data saving to the SD card so my 16gb built in are solely for apps so on and so forth.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 09:27 PM
    To everyone:
    Do not delete that folder there's files that are mirrored with your BlackBerry files.
    12-28-13 09:49 PM
    These folders are shortcuts to the same folders in the bb10 file system

Want proof? Plug into pc and go to same directory and those folders won't be there. It's only seen by bb10 and does not duplicate memory. Leads me to think you may have other reason your running out of space... excess apps, no SD card, small SD card? My current setup is z10 +32gb SD With all my user data saving to the SD card so my 16gb built in are solely for apps so on and so forth.

Posted via CB10
    Sheesh, you are right - they have finally managed to HIDE them when using Windows Explorer to examine the Misc folder. I could swear that they were there - maybe in an earlier OS. They are still there on my PB.
    12-28-13 10:31 PM
    Thank you all for the wonderful information. I'm not at full capacity from a memory standpoint. I just like to keep a clean house, and I want to make regular back ups.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 10:33 PM
    That's cool -- links (symbolic and hard) are a Unix thing, and QNX behaves a lot like it (pretty-much the same at a filesystem level.) Linux (the root of Android) can do this as well.

A symlink consumes a directory entry but no physical space.
    12-28-13 10:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not all apps in Blackberry World are native Blackberry 10 apps. A lot of them are Android apps converted into .Bar files for compatibility with Blackberry 10. They require the Android runtime to work.
    12-28-13 11:04 PM