While using my Z10, I stumbled over for the first time this keyboard interface with StubHub.

Why couldn't this be a lock screen password keyboard option? It's not as visible as a 4-number pin, and it does allow you some letters.

This is just a mini rant on my end, would make entering my password easier. Do note my device has a relative large Window before it locks on its own.
    Why can't the Z10 use this keyboard for pw lock-img_00000140.png

Posted via CB10
    DetlevCM likes this.
    04-19-13 10:45 AM
    Because a number pin lock screen is not that secure, and 4 digit passwords can be guess pretty easily. I see there letters but there's not that many, which still puts a limit on the amount of password combinations there are for that keyboard.

I've had people guess my iphone password, and I have to others too, I've also guessed people's slide to unlock on android before. I'm sure this is what BlackBerry is avoiding.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 10:51 AM
    Because a number pin lock screen is not that secure, and 4 diget passwords can be guess pretty easily.

Posted via CB10
    I get what you're saying, not asking for a 4-digit only password though, just an option to use a different keyboard which may or may not equate to individuals using a 4-digit password.

Options are nice right? I feel that I just made an Android pun right there.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 10:54 AM
    I get what you're saying, not asking for a 4-digit only password though, just an option to use a different keyboard which may or may not equate to individuals using a 4-digit password.

Options are nice right? I feel that I just made an Android pun right there.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, options are nice.
    04-19-13 11:04 AM
    It's my decision how secure my password should be, not BB's.
    04-19-13 12:20 PM
    What?
    4 digit pins can be easily guessed.
    Some one tell the banks that the system they use for atms cards is not secure.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 12:33 PM
    What?

Posted via CB10
    LOL.

It was a valiant effort, no?
    04-19-13 12:35 PM
    My biggest wish coming from torch touch was to have a simpler lock screen with larger buttons for fast unlocking. I am not in the gov't... if I want "1234" as my password then why not. I have the choice not to have a password at all. It's basically to keep the kids and gov't out.

It just passed through the courts that if your phone is locked then police need a warrant, if it's not locked then they are free to copy everything that's on your phone if your pulled over.
    04-19-13 12:42 PM
    Because a number pin lock screen is not that secure, and 4 digit passwords can be guess pretty easily. I see there letters but there's not that many, which still puts a limit on the amount of password combinations there are for that keyboard.
    With those digits and letters, this is essentially a hexadecimal keypad. That means, if you want a four-digit password, it could be anything from 0000 to FFFF. That's 65,535 possible passwords. Why is not not enough security, when the BlackBerry does a security wipe after 10 failed attempts?

Even only three digits gets you over 4,000 possible passwords. I really don't how four-digit passwords can be guessed "pretty easily."

I think something like what the OP is suggesting is a good idea: a special, large keypad for device password only.
    04-19-13 12:50 PM
    When I got the blackberry z10 it had four digit password but later on the update prevented this. So they fix it by software update.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 01:17 PM
    But with the keypad there are more options. They don't have to limit it to 4 digits, and there is a combination of numbers and letters. That would make it much much harder to guess your password if you use the password size and combinations properly.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 01:40 PM
    What?

Posted via CB10
    ATM cards are notoriously easy to compromise but the banks are willing to absorb the loses according for a in-depth investigation by CBC Marketplace.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-19-13 05:23 PM
    What?

Posted via CB10
    Did you not hear about people looking at finger prints to guess iPhone passwords. I've guessed plenty of peoples passwords to.

If you want option buy android.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 09:54 PM
    With those digits and letters, this is essentially a hexadecimal keypad. That means, if you want a four-digit password, it could be anything from 0000 to FFFF. That's 65,535 possible passwords. Why is not not enough security, when the BlackBerry does a security wipe after 10 failed attempts?

Even only three digits gets you over 4,000 possible passwords. I really don't how four-digit passwords can be guessed "pretty easily."

I think something like what the OP is suggesting is a good idea: a special, large keypad for device password only.
    Well most people make there password pretty easy, people put them as 1234 or the four corner numbers or down the middle, or 5678, or 4321 or 2485. And those are easy to guess. There are obviously harder ones but BlackBerry is about security and I didn't expect nothing less from them then to take all the measures. If they put out a list of passwords you can't use, do you really think they will allow a dial pad lock screen on the phone.

No.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 09:58 PM
    What?

Posted via CB10
    Yes but you only get 3 tries in a bank before they suck your card away.

Black is best Z10!
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-19-13 09:59 PM
    if you were to use a 4 digit pin of numbers only there would be 10,000 combinations, switch that to a 4 character password (using complete alphabet) and you now have 456,976 combinations ... now change that to a 4 digit full alpha/numeric combination and you have 1,500,625 combinations ... so ya not very secure when you have 10 tries to get it right ... even with 16 to select from you still have 65,536 combinations to try.
    04-19-13 10:38 PM
    if you were to use a 4 digit pin of numbers only there would be 10,000 combinations, switch that to a 4 character password (using complete alphabet) and you now have 456,976 combinations ... now change that to a 4 digit full alpha/numeric combination and you have 1,500,625 combinations ... so ya not very secure when you have 10 tries to get it right ... even with 16 to select from you still have 65,536 combinations to try.
    Ya but when it come to security those numbers don't matter because if u really wanted to get in to someone's phone with "Private corporate Information" on there device there is software that can be ran to unlock devices not (saying the z10 but I phones and androids).

And in the end a alphanumeric password with a full keyboard has the most combinations and there for is more secure the a dailpad.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 10:55 PM