Hi,
    I have had a couple of Blackberry devices now, mostly to be able to develop for them. I recently bought a Z10 to be able to develop for BB10. I absolutely love BB10 and my z10 has become my personal phone.

Unfortunately my z10 stopped working(notification flashing once, three times then once) so I went to BB website and eventually got the instruction to return it to where I bought it. I took it in to carphonewarehouse where I bought it and they said it would be a 7 day repair turnaround. Bit annoying, but such is life. I then had an email a couple of days later saying that BB had asked for the device to be returned to them and that repair would now take 28 days.

Thinking this must be wrong, I have been trying to no avail to find an email or phone number at blackberry to speak to somebody about this. The only option I can see is to tweet Blackberryhelp, who have been less than useless.

So now I am stuck waiting a month for a phone that is less than three months old to be repaired. How can customer service be this bad from a company that is trying to move up to fight Apple and Samsung? As much as I hate Apple genius bars, at least when my iPhone breaks I can get it replaced there and then.

What are other people's experiences? Surely this can't be normal? Like I said, I am really disappointed as I love my z10 and believe bb10 has serious potential as a dev platform.
    07-15-13 01:34 AM
    Technically blackberry is not providing you with service, you get service from where you bought it. It's called dealer network... like with vehicles, you can't take your Ford car back to ford, you take it to a ford dealer. it's prudent to find out what kind of service you will get from where you are buying the phone. It is their discretion to provide you with a loaner phone. Since blackberry is paying for the repair, it is there discretion to ask for it back, I guess, but it is car phone warehouse that you have to go through for the service whether BlackBerry is involved or not.

I work in warranty in a service department and very rarely does a customer get to have direct contact with the manufacturer. In the world of farm equipment, most places will rent you something while warranty work is being done, very rarely is it complimentary. However we have laws for farm equipment here that govern how long something may be down for repairs. Parts must be delivered wiyhin 72 hours or the manufacturer has to help pay for a rental. However no such laws for phones that I have ever heard of.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 01:46 AM
    Can we assume you are in the UK?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 04:53 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't care

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 05:06 AM
    My God 28 days to fix a phone? It's 2013 nothing takes 28 days anymore. The phone should simply be replaced and that be the end of it. This is what happens when they give customer service to 3rd world countries. Good luck with getting that fixed OP but remember not fixing your phone in an acceptable time frame may be another one of Thor's plans to set the company right. Like not supporting PlayBook.
    07-15-13 05:18 AM
    My God 28 days to fix a phone? It's 2013 nothing takes 28 days anymore. The phone should simply be replaced and that be the end of it. This is what happens when they give customer service to 3rd world countries. Good luck with getting that fixed OP but remember not fixing your phone in an acceptable time frame may be another one of Thor's plans to set the company right. Like not supporting PlayBook.
    Thorsten never said they were not supporting the playbook just it wasn't getting BB10. Please stop spreading misinformation. Best not to judge a company or service untill you have dealt with it. 3rd party does not mean 3rd world! As for the repair and service that is up to Carrier, 28 days seems excessive but im guessing they are shipping over seas and give you a longer window of time to be on the safe side.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 08:49 AM
    BlackBerry customer service could be better saying that have u tried tmobile UK customer services u would get more help dialling the 3 stooges

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 09:20 AM
    This is true that BlackBerry don't have a customer service number where the customer could call for information or complaints. So sad to say but true.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 09:55 AM
    Try 877-644-8410. USA of course. Have no idea where OP lives.

Also, for whatever:

Blackberry Customer Service Customer Phone Number | Shortest Wait | Best Support | GetHuman.com
    07-15-13 10:12 AM
    BB only answers to Twitter messages sent to @blackberryhelp . I admit they are pretty quick with their replies, usually less than 24 hours.

I'm currently having problems getting my Z10 fixed under warranty too. My phone seems to have the same problem as the OP's (see the thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...oot-up-818536/ ). BB tells me that I have to contact the retailer for warranty service. The retailer, TekShop.ca (DON'T ever buy from them !), first claimed the phone had no warranty because it was unlocked and then, once I refuted that argument, they directed me to their terms of service which is a standard one that says that if the device fails after 15 days, I have to contact the manufacturer for service under the manufacturer's warranty.

So BB is telling me I have to get the warranty service from the retailer and the retailer is telling me I have to get the warranty service from the manufacturer. And now neither of them are responding to my messages.
    07-15-13 11:58 AM
    Why do you need BB customer service when you have Crackberry community where your BB questions are answered promptly?
    07-15-13 12:00 PM
    You should sue both companies in Small Claims Court and let them sort it out. Many jurisdictions have special provisions for claims under $1000, or $500, and this in effect immunizes you from adverse cost consequences in the worst case scenario when you limit your claim to that amount.

Once you have served the claim on the companies, you will find how quickly their tune will change as they will not want to have a judgment against them on the books.

Unfortunately not many consumers do dedicate the time to do so, and that is why these terms of service are just pieces of paper.

On another note, https://www.tekshop.ca/BlackBerry-Phones-s/1.htm shows a 9900 to be more expensive than a Z10 by almost a 100 bucks. LOL

BB only answers to Twitter messages sent to @blackberryhelp . I admit they are pretty quick with their replies, usually less than 24 hours.

I'm currently having problems getting my Z10 fixed under warranty too. My phone seems to have the same problem as the OP's (see the thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...oot-up-818536/ ). BB tells me that I have to contact the retailer for warranty service. The retailer, TekShop.ca (DON'T ever buy from them !), first claimed the phone had no warranty because it was unlocked and then, once I refuted that argument, they directed me to their terms of service which is a standard one that says that if the device fails after 15 days, I have to contact the manufacturer for service under the manufacturer's warranty.

So BB is telling me I have to get the warranty service from the retailer and the retailer is telling me I have to get the warranty service from the manufacturer. And now neither of them are responding to my messages.
    07-15-13 12:28 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely considering that. What's complicating it is that I'm in BC and they're both in Ontario. Would I then apply to a BC small-claims court ?

You should sue both companies in Small Claims Court and let them sort it out. Many jurisdictions have special provisions for claims under $1000, or $500, and this in effect immunizes you from adverse cost consequences in the worst case scenario when you limit your claim to that amount.

Once you have served the claim on the companies, you will find how quickly their tune will change as they will not want to have a judgment against them on the books.

Unfortunately not many consumers do dedicate the time to do so, and that is why these terms of service are just pieces of paper.

On another note, https://www.tekshop.ca/BlackBerry-Phones-s/1.htm shows a 9900 to be more expensive than a Z10 by almost a 100 bucks. LOL
    07-15-13 12:59 PM
    It should be a simple hardware exchange for a new one and the one to be repaired sold as refurbished. Way to turn people off of BlackBerry. I'm definitely going to have some questions for my carrier when I buy the BB about warranty service.
    07-15-13 01:01 PM
    Hi,
    I have had a couple of Blackberry devices now, mostly to be able to develop for them. I recently bought a Z10 to be able to develop for BB10. I absolutely love BB10 and my z10 has become my personal phone.

Unfortunately my z10 stopped working(notification flashing once, three times then once) so I went to BB website and eventually got the instruction to return it to where I bought it. I took it in to carphonewarehouse where I bought it and they said it would be a 7 day repair turnaround. Bit annoying, but such is life. I then had an email a couple of days later saying that BB had asked for the device to be returned to them and that repair would now take 28 days.

Thinking this must be wrong, I have been trying to no avail to find an email or phone number at blackberry to speak to somebody about this. The only option I can see is to tweet Blackberryhelp, who have been less than useless.

So now I am stuck waiting a month for a phone that is less than three months old to be repaired. How can customer service be this bad from a company that is trying to move up to fight Apple and Samsung? As much as I hate Apple genius bars, at least when my iPhone breaks I can get it replaced there and then.

What are other people's experiences? Surely this can't be normal? Like I said, I am really disappointed as I love my z10 and believe bb10 has serious potential as a dev platform.
    I use O2 as their customer service is excellent. Over the last 10 years I've returned a good number of phones for warranty repairs and if they can't fix it within 7 days, they just replace. If you describe a fault that sounds difficult to repair, they often arrange a doorstep swap within 24 hrs. If you need to borrow a phone from the O2 shop during this time, they'll lend one for free. Car phone warehouse and phones 4 u aren't as good, often using the repair procedure to acquire more cash from you (I'm sorry sir, this phone has had water damage and that's not covered so there'll be a charge) my daughter has an S3 from phones 4 U and if something goes wrong, they make it very difficult to get a warranty repair done at no cost if the product is over 30 days old. in my opinion, if you are without your phone due to their policy then you should not have to pay for the line rental during that time. I've had quite a few BlackBerrys and I've never had to deal with BlackBerry directly. If you bought a vacuum cleaner from Tesco and 3 months later it stopped working, you'd take it back there you'd only contact the manufacturer if it does a lot older and still under manufacturer's warranty. BlackBerry tech support is :0800 096 2201 I don't know if that's any good or not but in my opinion Carphone warehouse should step up. FYI O2 consider the phone to be under warranty for the duration of the contract, not just a few months or a year. If you live in London you could pop in to the BlackBerry store on Oxford Street.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.2354
    07-15-13 01:46 PM
    I would think you should have no problems for a BC court to accept jurisdiction since they sold the device to you in BC. Usually the Small Claims Court guides and forms provide a space or an explanation where you indicate that you are filing where you are filing because 1. the contract was there. 2 the breach of K was there, etc. You just check off a box. There is a legal test, of course.
    Then it will a question of serving the statement of claim.
    I would think that RIM must have an office registered in BC as usually Canadian provinces require extra-provincial companies to register in the local province if they decide to do business there. I am not sure about the website operator.

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely considering that. What's complicating it is that I'm in BC and they're both in Ontario. Would I then apply to a BC small-claims court ?
    07-15-13 04:14 PM
    I just sent TekShop.ca an e-mail urging them to begin the warranty service process and letting them know that if they don't do so soon, then I will take legal action. Hopefully that will work. In the meantime, I'll look into small-claims court proceedings.

Thanks again for your help. It was very helpful.

I would think you should have no problems for a BC court to accept jurisdiction since they sold the device to you in BC. Usually the Small Claims Court guides and forms provide a space or an explanation where you indicate that you are filing where you are filing because 1. the contract was there. 2 the breach of K was there, etc. You just check off a box. There is a legal test, of course.
    Then it will a question of serving the statement of claim.
    I would think that RIM must have an office registered in BC as usually Canadian provinces require extra-provincial companies to register in the local province if they decide to do business there. I am not sure about the website operator.
    07-15-13 04:36 PM
    Wow, what a lot of replies! Yes, I am in the UK, I bought my Z10 sim free as I have to buy a lot of different phones for development and loads of contracts would be a bit ridiculous! I understand that I need to deal with carphonewarehouse but if they are told to return all phones to BB by BB themselves (which is what their website states) then the bigger issue surely lies with Blackberry. I posted here because I was surprised ( and annoyed) that in 2013 anyone should need to wait 28 days for a repair! Especially when most other manufacturers replace instantly with a refurb device.

On the plus side, I am still missing my z10- I have been using my iPhone and s3 and neither fit my needs as well as the z10. Great phone, terrible repair policy!
    Last edited by DoctorFinlay; 07-16-13 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Typo
    anon5645485 likes this.
    07-16-13 03:27 AM
    UPDATE: Still no phone, BB took 4 days to replace which seems reasonable - it is now over two weeks and Carphone Warehouse still have not delivered my phone in store. I have therefore learnt two things - 1) Never buy anything from Carphone Warehouse as their after sales care is lousy; and 2) The Z10 might be priced as a premium handset but leaving customer care to retailers does not lead to premium after sales care - my next main phone will prob have to be an iphone as at least I can get it replaced within 24 hours if something goes wrong. I know not all retailers are as bad as Carphone Warehouse, but this experience has been enough to remind me that not all companies are the same when it comes to customer service. What are other people's experience in the UK with defective Z10s? Hopefully some will have much happier stories to tell!
    07-23-13 01:52 PM
    TekShop.ca never replied to my message, so today I went for some legal advice. I'll get a response from the advisor in a few days. They said the most likely action is that the lawyer will send TekShop.ca a letter. I'm hoping that alone will work.

I just sent TekShop.ca an e-mail urging them to begin the warranty service process and letting them know that if they don't do so soon, then I will take legal action. Hopefully that will work. In the meantime, I'll look into small-claims court proceedings.

Thanks again for your help. It was very helpful.
    07-23-13 06:20 PM
    I'm in a similar situation as you, but with TekShop.ca and I've come to the same two conclusions, unfortunately.

UPDATE: Still no phone, BB took 4 days to replace which seems reasonable - it is now over two weeks and Carphone Warehouse still have not delivered my phone in store. I have therefore learnt two things - 1) Never buy anything from Carphone Warehouse as their after sales care is lousy; and 2) The Z10 might be priced as a premium handset but leaving customer care to retailers does not lead to premium after sales care - my next main phone will prob have to be an iphone as at least I can get it replaced within 24 hours if something goes wrong. I know not all retailers are as bad as Carphone Warehouse, but this experience has been enough to remind me that not all companies are the same when it comes to customer service. What are other people's experience in the UK with defective Z10s? Hopefully some will have much happier stories to tell!
    07-23-13 06:22 PM