Curious - what does the memo pad on OS7 give you that remember doesn't?

I'm a heavy Outlook notes user and used memo pad extensively on my old BlackBerrys. Remember pulled in all my notes (both Outlook and Evernote) and syncs them now as changes are made. I'm not missing anything from memo pad.

Posted via CB10
    Categories?

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 10:55 PM
    Soldiers using "toys" on the battlefield... sad huh...
    04-13-13 11:23 PM
    wow that's crazy..........
    04-13-13 11:43 PM
    I don't get why everyone keeps saying " oh it's a new Os so give them slack iphone and android took years to get to where they are now"
    BlackBerry on the otherhand has had bbos 567 to build upon and use it as a guide. And quite frankly its a little disappointing when your flagship phone doesn't come out with the many basics you have had with your other versions.
    There is not one single line of code from BB1 through BB7 that is in BB10.

For example: If I wanted to write a new OS from the ground up that looked and behaved exactly like iOS, it would still take years *even though* I have a fully functional version of iOS available to use as a guide.

Also, BB1-7 are a full platform with both client and server components. One of the hardest tasks BlackBerry had was to create a new client OS *AND* integrate their legacy infrastructure (e.g.: the transition from PINs to BBIDs is one example).

This is called "integration", and the fact that the other phone vendors didn't have any legacy software to worry about actually made much of their development easier since they had a fully clean slate.
    04-14-13 04:03 AM

It would seem that the Z10 is not Zen for a lot of folks ...

U.S. Department Of Defense Reportedly Planning To Buy 650,000 iOS Devices After Nixing BB10 To Cut Costs | TechCrunch

Soldiers using "toys" on the battlefield... sad huh...
    TOTALLY. FALSE.

Who needs Detwiler & Fenton when you have CrackBerry members themselves reposting FALSE negative press??

Defense spokesman says DoD not dumping BlackBerry - Computerworld
    R Field and maxdaniels like this.
    04-14-13 04:06 AM
    This story has long been shown to be FALSE.

Defense spokesman says DoD not dumping BlackBerry - Computerworld
    In a telephone interview, the DoD spokesman said he didn't know where Electronista got its information, but added, "it is not from an official DoD source." He also said the BlackBerry's future at the Defense Department is still very much alive.

"We are not dumping BlackBerry as Electronista and others have indicated," said the spokesman, Air Force Lt. Col. Damien Pickart. "We're moving to multiple devices, and that includes BlackBerry."

The DoD spokesman also released the following statement via email confirming his earlier comments:

"The department is aware of recent reporting that asserts it is 'dropping' BlackBerry. This reporting is in error. The department recently released its mobility strategy and supporting implementation plan, which clarifies we are moving towards a mobile management capability that supports a variety of devices, to include BlackBerry. As clarified in the recent release of our Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan, we are working towards establishing a multi-vendor environment in support of the DoD mobility strategy.
    maxdaniels likes this.
    04-14-13 04:12 AM
    Dude.. It's version 1 of phone 1. At least wait till an update. We're still at 10.0.

All the issues you listed will be added.

Blackberry took two years to build what Apply and Google spent 4 years making for their first phone. There's a lot coming in the next two or three updates

Posted via CB10
    I waited for the update and the update broke my emails, can't sent attachments or reply to emails thanks to the sept bug. No fix as of yet.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 04:36 AM
    Curious - what does the memo pad on OS7 give you that remember doesn't?

I'm a heavy Outlook notes user and used memo pad extensively on my old BlackBerrys. Remember pulled in all my notes (both Outlook and Evernote) and syncs them now as changes are made. I'm not missing anything from memo pad.

Posted via CB10
    For a start you can't share entries, on legacy you had the forward as button, not so on BB10

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 04:45 AM
    I tried using Remember and have continued to try using Remember and I can't stand it. I download the Memo Pad app today to try to make that work but I don't think I can make it work without re-typing all my notes one by one so while Remember works for you and many others, I have zero use for it as an alternative to my MemoPad on my Bold.
    I emailed my notes from the 9900 to myself and then copied them from the z10 email into the notes pad. A little inconvenience, but worth all the extra power and othet features of the new phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 05:10 AM
    Hi Maverick sorry for only quote your post in parts instead the whole post. I just want to post my thoughts on your points without judging your thoughts, hope it's okay with you. Here we go

1. The Alarm Clock, One of my favorite features of the old Blackberry devices was the ability to have multiple alarms setup
    Have to agree with you on this one. But from my point of view, it's too early if we thought bbry will never develop an update on this. So for the time being i use calendar to replace the function.

2. The Calendar, Setting alarms from the Calendar on BB10. Guess what you can't, and Santa Claus isn't real either (while I am bursting bubbles).
    Have had no problem with my calendar. I sync them with my Google calendar which sync across my other gadgets without any issues.

3 The Sounds. You know how with the Blackberry you could set all those cool sounds and vibration patterns for your emails and texts so that you knew what you were getting so you would know if it was important to pull out your phone in the middle of an meeting at work. Well you this has been dumbed down to the point that you can have different sounds
    Agree with you. This is one of my frustrations with new z10. This and the fact "Ping" are treated the same like standard bbm notification when instead it should be more customizable since i always set it with vibration so i know when i received urgent message. Now all my bbm notification have to set with vibration. But i believe bbry will upgrade this in the future along with custom notif for different emails and other.

4. Notes, ... What notes??
    I was like you once until i realized evernote is used for remember. It's now even better. My notes are syncing with my other devices.

5. Contacts, I had an iPhone before this so I had my contacts in iCloud which was good since I still had my Blackberry Protect account, but wont go into that until number 6.
    I love changing devices. I have given up syncing my contacts manually since then. Again i might sound like Google fanboy, yet since i keep all my contacts syncing with the same Google account, now whenever i input any contact on any device, it gets updated in other as well. I have an ipad, a note II, and a z10 to replace my bb 9900. They were all syncing to each other, even up to contact in my MBP outlook. Might be a good option so you don't have to spend times manually syncing contacts whenever you change device.

6. Blackberry Protect, one of the greatest phone syncing apps ever crafted I would put it above iCloud and Google Sync for Droid any day.
    I used bb protect only for the "Find device " features. I never really used factory syncing service to back up my apps or data. The only cloud back ups i need is for my pictures and music. Dropbox is enough for me so i can't comment much on this.

Totally understand your frustration on this new toy, but for me, i will give it a shot for another 6 months to see what improvements bbry can make to make it more superior.

We can always fall in love with each OS. For me, i just separate each of their function so I could fall in love with them equally hahaha

Just a thought from fellow users

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 05:16 AM
    That's exactly how I use it and it works the same way. I have a folder in Remember called "Notes" that was created as soon as I set up my Exchange account. It has all my outlook notes in it and syncs with outlook. I add notes exactly the same way I did with Memo pad. As soon as I add or edit a note it gets added to my outlook. I really can't see a difference other than the ability to add more folders and change their colors.

Posted via CB10
    Me too. Free form notes the same way I did on 7. Only difference, and I mean only, is that they are in a folder.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 06:15 AM
    Me too. Free form notes the same way I did on 7. Only difference, and I mean only, is that they are in a folder.

Posted via CB10
    More than one difference, try sharing one.

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    04-14-13 06:20 AM

The new OS is lacking these features so now there's little reason not to look at other options. What a lot of legacy BlackBerry owners wanted was a BBOS "8" phone with a 1.5 GHZ dual core processor, 2 GB RAM, a 1280 X 768 screen, and front facing camera. Those specs would have eliminated the hour glass and lag on legacy devices and would have been a much more functional product.

Posted via CB10
    Would those specs have eliminate those issues, really? The last round of spec beefing did not.

Yeah.. from the ZED on CB10
    04-14-13 06:24 AM
    Rather than pursuing other OS options, I, for one, will simply get a back-up OS7 device (BB Bold 9900) for the day when my current OS7 Bold 9900 craps out. So perhaps BBRY really could care less about existing BB users since we have stuck with BB despite the far better alternatives compared to the OS7 because we are beholden to the core BB attributes like pin-to-pin, BIS, MemoPad, customized notifications, etc. while we have put up with a devastatingly lousy browsing experience for so long.

The biggest disappointment is that rather than rewarding long standing BB users, BBRY has decided to abandon so much of what we valued as attributes in favor of just catching up to iOS/Android for most features and only surpassing iOS/Android with the browsing experience, keyboard and the Hub.

The question therefore for BBRY is whether enough current iOS/Android users will see the browsing experience, keyboard and Hub as reasons enough to turn their backs on devices like the iPhone and Android. I have serious doubts on whether that will happen and even if it did whether it will happen for large enough numbers of consumers to make BB10 relevant.
    Your first post is exactly my point. You have BBOS 7 available until they have the time to implement the features they know (and they do) differentiate them, then the rest of the 7,000,000 that are not early adopters can swap over to the new OS.

There has to be a company in existence for it to reward its existing customers, and they had to take a chance to stop the company from dying a slow death.

Their business gamble is exactly your third paragraph. They have rolled those dice... and only time will tell of it was the right decision.

Yeah.. from the ZED on CB10
    04-14-13 06:53 AM

For example: If I wanted to write a new OS from the ground up that looked and behaved exactly like iOS, it would still take years *even though* I have a fully functional version of iOS available to use as a guide.

Also, BB1-7 are a full platform with both client and server components. One of the hardest tasks BlackBerry had was to create a new client OS *AND* integrate their legacy infrastructure (e.g.: the transition from PINs to BBIDs is one example).

This is called "integration", and the fact that the other phone vendors didn't have any legacy software to worry about actually made much of their development easier since they had a fully clean slate.
    That's an excellent explanation but the great majority of consumers don't really care about the evolutionary process of getting to BB10. If this is the type of explanation which BBRY is hoping will excuse the deficiencies found on the Z10, then the absolute best they can hope for is an "A" for effort. This is like the 10th place finisher in a race who wins the participation award because he tried really hard.

Consumers are familiar with the BB brand.

At one time, the BB brand had such cachet that its products were described as addictive, innovative and industry-leading/beating. Prior to the BB, the trend in mobile phones was for smaller and more compact. Who would have thought at the time that some of the massive smartphones like the Nexus 4 would even be competitive just a decade later?

Sadly for BBRY, time did not standstill and other products in the same category outpaced and eventually outdistanced the innovation at RIM to create smartphones which thousands perhaps even millions flocked to while abandoning their BBs.

So, I would argue that, whether or not BB10 is a totally new OS or built on top of previous BB OSes is completely irrelevant to consumers and, therefore, completely irrelevant to the Z10s success.

Just as the vast majority of smartphone consumers had written off previous BB OS devices, the risk is significant that the Z10 will similarly be discarded until BB10 is capable of fully meeting consumer expectations.

Trying to argue that consumers should treat the Z10 like it treated the first generation iPhone or the first generation Samsung Android devices may resonate with a tiny minority of consumers but the huge majority (as in 99%) will be comparing the Z10 alongside the iPhone 5 (and, soon, the iPhone 5S or even 6) and the Galaxy S3 and S4 not only because the devices are all priced similarly but also because BBRY's marketing and PR positioning has been to pit the Z10 squarely against these devices.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    04-14-13 07:08 AM
    Well keep in mind your only one out of 7 billion in the world who aren't happy with the new OS10 devices which isn't a big deal really. So I hope you continue to love your tiny iSheep device which looks and feels like a kids toy!
    ??? Does this add ANYTHING to the discussion?
    04-14-13 07:54 AM
    Just move on then. It's obvious you don't like BB10 but as someone who has used Android, iOS, and WebOS I can see there is a lot of greatness in BB10.

People who magnify every little deficiency go overboard and don't even really want to give it a chance so just move on to what works for you. You don't need to come on here and sound like a broken record saying they're going out of business as what does that accomplish?
    Good post. I too have used all the operating systems, but I have a hard time remembering the OS on my car bag phone though ;-)

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-14-13 09:10 AM
    I moved straight from flip phone to z10.

Agree with all those saying "No more apologists please" and "Stop calling people trolls and fanboys when they describe their problems and frustrations"

BlackBerry still benefits from millions being willing to let them have more time, to refine the bb10 OS, but We Here Are Not making progress when we pollute our discussion threads with posts about anything other than ID'ing the problems.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    04-14-13 09:19 AM
    More than one difference, try sharing one.

Posted via CB10
    Open note. Hold finger on screen, select all, hold again, share, viola

Posted via CB10
    HedoBum likes this.
    04-14-13 10:07 AM
    Got my Z10 a week ago, and am standing by BlackBerry, that's my decision. However....This was a big investment, I paid to upgrade early, and find many of the core perks of previous BB's absent (can't group contacts, no 1 swipe/touch option to pull up contact list from hub, calendar not on hub, call history for contact is less detailed, etc....) Would love to see calendar and contacts in the drop-down shade at the top of screen in hub.... I do have faith these added touches will come about in future updates and I hope and pray I am correct in putting my faith in this. It would be really nice though, to receive more communication from BlackBerry's end... about their intentions to add some of these features, for all of us faithful. My last BB came with 30 days of free support, and this one none, and I see there's no longer a number to call or email BB and they have been Completely Silent... would like to hear more from their end and see more marketing in US to get this off the ground and succeed in the long run.
    anon(5828343) and Davidro1 like this.
    04-14-13 10:45 AM
    Originally Posted by ihys
    I don't get why everyone keeps saying " oh it's a new Os so give them slack iphone and android took years to get to where they are now"

BlackBerry on the otherhand has had bbos 567 to build upon and use it as a guide. And quite frankly its a little disappointing when your flagship phone doesn't come out with the many basics you have had with your other versions.

I don't think the diehard BB folks are as upset about "bugs", as much as they are at complete omissions of certain well liked features from previous devices. That is not a product of re-writing code, that is a product of oversight.

When the new Chrysler 300 was completely rebuilt from the ground up (literally new car from springs to brakes to engine and chassis), they weren't expecting people to compare it to cars made during the original 300 era...they compare it to cars made here and now. I cannot stand hearing that point made over and over on here as if that is a legitimate argument for the bugs and omissions on this phone. Give me a break!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Foroplex
    04-14-13 11:03 AM
    I don't think the diehard BB folks are as upset about "bugs", as much as they are at complete omissions of certain well liked features from previous devices. That is not a product of re-writing code, that is a product of oversight.

When the new Chrysler 300 was completely rebuilt from the ground up (literally new car from springs to brakes to engine and chassis), they weren't expecting people to compare it to cars made during the original 300 era...they compare it to cars made here and now. I cannot stand hearing that point made over and over on here as if that is a legitimate argument for the bugs and omissions on this phone. Give me a break!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Foroplex
    I know there is not a single code from the previous versions. What I'm saying is what worked so well in the previous oses, they should have implemented those features into bb10. They had past experiences and know what works and what doesn't.

It be the same with windows 95 all the way to windows 8 now. With each new Os none of the old code was in the new version but they kept what worked and brought those features to the new Os. Imagine if windows took off task manager or the start menu bar for Windows 7. Everyone uses it and is a valuable tool. windows 8 is getting a lot of flak because it's entirely new but they still gave the option to use the start menu instead of metro.

Now kind of inexcusable for BlackBerry to not have these features. Since its their bread and butter, what they bragged about in their old oses. And kind of odd that they don't have them on their saving grace phone.

Your car analogy imagine what Chrysler is known for and when they made the 300 they didn't have it in that car. It's not like they reinvented the wheel. They just made their cars more efficient, or powerful and added more features.

Now if they built a flying car now that's something entirely new and your analogy would work. Can't comprehensive anything old with a flying car. They have no past experiences no anything to guide them they are at the exploration stage basically. And you could give them slack for that.

It's the same with bb10 they didn't make something totally innovative. New Os yes with a cool hub feature. But everything is pretty much the same os wise beside the interface.

You know maybe if they made 3d phones, holographic displays or something where no one else has it then yeah that's groundbreaking and new and can't compare to anything

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ihys; 04-14-13 at 11:52 AM.
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    04-14-13 11:41 AM
    Did the old blackberry have multiple alarms? Wasn't it just when you're in the clock and press the track pad would bring up the alarm? Where are the other?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 12:05 PM
    Did the old blackberry have multiple alarms?
    My OS6 9650 didn't. I purchased an alarm app to do multiple alarms.
    04-14-13 12:07 PM
    My last BB came with 30 days of free support, and this one none, and I see there's no longer a number to call or email BB and they have been Completely Silent... would like to hear more from their end and see more marketing in US to get this off the ground and succeed in the long run.
    Agree entirely. I bought my son an iPhone 5 recently. We were having trouble figuring out an email syncing issue which appeared to be glitchy. We had experience with my daughter's iPhone 5 and still couldn't figure it out so we called Apple Support, got a friendly "genius" who walked us through several trouble shooting tips. After a couple of troubleshooting efforts, he figured out what was wrong and voil�, email synched without further issue. This was a free support call and is good for 90 days. I don't get why we don't get the same with the Z10.
    ihys and Davidro1 like this.
    04-14-13 12:11 PM
233 ... 34567 ...