I think your summary skills need honing.
    How so? The answer to most of his questions is "it's coming". Sounds like he has the wrong device for his needs. Perhaps a few years from now it will be different but as of now I think my summary is spot on.
    04-13-13 11:55 AM
    The loss of custom profile notification is NOT a "tiny" thing, it's a huge thing. I've had my Z10 for 11days and updated the OS on my 9810 last night in preparation for returning the Z10 (probably) because of this not tiny reason (along with BlackBerry Travel, and BlackBerry Mobile Conferencing issues).

Posted via CB10
    What I meant by tiny is that they are known and proven features that have been part of BlackBerry for years. Clearly they didn't have time to get parity out of the gate...but know exactly what to build and will. Not adding them would be a rejection of them as valued to BlackBerry users.. I miss notification profiles. I have faith they will come.

I contrast these items with something bigger and more fundamental like a shoddy core OS or crappy hardware etc that no amount of coding would fix. Those would be big issues.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 11:59 AM
    The thing is all of your complaints I'm sure will be addressed in future os updates. The os is a baby give it some time to grow.

Posted via CB10
    Now that I'm able to put my finger on it, I no longer think I'm the only one. In defense of the Z10, yes the platform is still in its infancy and needs ironing out to whatever kinks it has. The items that the OP listed seems to reflect how the old BlackBerry phones used to be and how alienated he now feels.

I was addicted to my BlackBerry once. My BlackBerry awareness came when my boss complained about my late responses to her email when she was sending them at 3AM in the morning. The complaints ceased right after I took action by exploiting push email with the, then new BlackBerry 8700. Boy was it quick and great at what it did, email, hands down, no competition, stopped her in her tracks. Problem solved. Needless to say, the addiction was inevitable and took its course.

I was just thinking about the difference between my 8700 with 6 years of iOS in between, and then the Z10--as if 2 different companies made each devices.

More than just the patented LED light flashing at the top right corner of the screen, Z10 should rediscover its DNA/heritage, and infuse it along with all the goodies it already has, reminding its users what made them stood out from the rest. Without soul searching, it'll be just another fruit company trying for a shot in the turbulence.

Besides just apps, mobile devices have become our Web browser of choice and growing. BlackBerry CAN innovate for the best Web experience on the Z10; not just email. For instance, if BlackBerry can come out on top with the fastest Web browser than anything else out there, that will draw more attention to this platform. At least something such as this can set BlackBerry #1 for something again. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple and Google has a group entirely dedicated to obliviating the competition on browser performance. Much of this corporate activity can fly under the noses of many, but hey this is the sort of insanity that is required to generate fanfare to any platform. As of now the Z10 needs 10.1 and has features to fulfill and bugs to squash, but forget the keyboard for now. I want better copying and pasting of texts. It's still too early and no marks have been made yet.
    Last edited by WhiteSpir1t; 04-13-13 at 12:43 PM.
    shinerb likes this.
    04-13-13 12:06 PM
    Dude.. It's version 1 of phone 1. At least wait till an update. We're still at 10.0.

All the issues you listed will be added.

Blackberry took two years to build what Apply and Google spent 4 years making for their first phone. There's a lot coming in the next two or three updates

Posted via CB10
    I really don't get this type of response. This is not version #1 and this is not phone #1. That would be like saying every new model car produced by an existing manufacturer was starting from the Model T and what was previously built was thrown away and manufacturers started from scratch every single time.

Blackberry has been in existence since 1999 (ie. 14 years) and has evolved through those years to what we see today. iPhone arrived in 2007 and has evolved since that time as well.

Like the OP, I was expecting BBRY to build from the previous BB experience -- sure with a brand new OS, but build nonetheless. The OPs frustrations mirror mine. We just want what we loved about BB PLUS all the great things that BB10 was promised to deliver. That shouldn't be seen as an attack of BB10 or BBRY but as a plea for BBRY to figure this out.
    shinerb and niss63 like this.
    04-13-13 12:07 PM
    Give the Z10 a little effort, it's worth it. You get to have a cool new phone, and not be a Lemming following all the other Techno Zombies to the nearest Apple Store at the mall.
    If only consumers could be expected to expend "a little effort" to make the Z10 "worth it". If that is BBRY's strategy to win consumer smartphone spend, then it's game over. Consumers want instant gratification. Rightly or wrongly, that is a simple fact that BBRY and any manufacturer needs to understand.
    Drew808 likes this.
    04-13-13 12:17 PM
    The loss of custom profile notification is NOT a "tiny" thing, it's a huge thing. I've had my Z10 for 11days and updated the OS on my 9810 last night in preparation for returning the Z10 (probably) because of this not tiny reason (along with BlackBerry Travel, and BlackBerry Mobile Conferencing issues).

Posted via CB10
    I agree. The custom notification profiles, i.e., per mail account, different tone/ vibration patterns, etc.was a HUGE mis-step to not be incorporated out of the gate. A BB signature feature! When I am working with clients and patients, I can tell by the vibration pattern whether I need to interrupt a conversation or task. If not, I discreetly used to tap the top bar to prevent the tone from starting. I could tell if it was my important business line without removing the phone from holster when driving, etc.
    And both third-party apps are terrible with tones and vibration functionality- not ready for prime time. So I am very frustrated at this point but being a BB fan since 2003, I will TRY to wait out a functional update. However that in my opinion was a thoughtless error/ miscalculation.
    Last edited by garpt; 04-13-13 at 12:34 PM.
    04-13-13 12:22 PM
    How so? The answer to most of his questions is "it's coming". Sounds like he has the wrong device for his needs. Perhaps a few years from now it will be different but as of now I think my summary is spot on.
    You said, "I'll sum up what everyone here is saying OP. Basically, the Z10 is a really raw beta. If all you do is post on crackberry all day or just text friends it may be for you." I don't think that is an accurate summary. I think it is an exaggerated toward the negative summary of what some people were saying. Other people were pointing out that you actually could use the calendar for alarms and you could use remember for notes and tasks as that is what it replaced. They were correcting the misinformation as opposed to declaring the device as a really raw beta good only for posting on crackberry and texting friends. Like I said, the summary needs work.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-13-13 12:29 PM
    Yeah I used notes a lot but download the memo pad app or sideload evernote its better.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    04-13-13 12:36 PM
    You know, it's funny how before BB10, most everyone couldn't wait for the "new" OS. The old one couldn't keep up with what people wanted, like Android and iOS. Now that it's here with it's new features (I agree it still has some work to do) a lot of people are complaining that it's not more like the old BB OS.

I think people have to give it time, both for the OS to mature and to get used to it. If you absolutely need the features of the old OS, by all means go back to the 9900, it's a great phone. But I really believe that Blackberry wanted to do something new, and not be forever attached to the old way which had a negative feel for most consumers. People left BB or would never give it a try before. They are trying to win those people over and you either have to go along for the ride (be patient) or grab a legacy device. There is no right or wrong answer, it is a personal choice.
    jesse_h and mujahid 10 like this.
    04-13-13 12:51 PM
    Kind of feels like this was a rush job to push z10 out onto the market since they knew if they didn't have anything out by said date and pushed it even further they would really be in trouble as a company.

And do you know why ppl make an account and make such posts? As much as I like my z10 I'm not gonna delude myself and say it's the perfect phone when it's not just yet. These ppl had the highest hopes for BlackBerry new phone. And when they actually get it in their hand its a bit a disappointment.
    People who understand the issues BlackBerry faces in the market and who understand the challenges of building an OS from the ground up also understand why the O.S has differences and why it may lack some features, at least initially. Yes they had to rush to some extent because timing is critical, especially when you have an industry of people whose goal is to bury you before you are dead. If they had delayed until they have achieved every possible feature people could want people would still be complaining and they wouldn't have any of the positive reviews and comments or revenue they have now. They also now have a base set of functionality to improve which includes unique functionality that others don't have yet. Kind of funny that we want perfection from BlackBerry on a complete new OS (and it is a new OS) and we give a pass to their competitors (whose OS's all have issues). We also give a pass to developers because it takes too much in the way of time and resources to develop for an OS that has limited market share. Yeah, that's a lot harder than a new OS.

Also, no one is acting like it's perfect, unless of course it does all that they need. Still neither is it a failure and worthless because of a few minor issues. I'm not talking about restarts and freezes some are experiencing because issues like that aren't minor. They will take time, however, to sort out because not everyone has these issues. I have no battery issues, no restart or freeze issues, no contact duplication issues. If you have ever had to troubleshoot an intermittent problem you would understand how frustrating it is to identify and correct such issues especially when you dealing with multiple variables.

It would help if we would all moderate our tone and just be polite. Here are three things that would help.

1. If you have a problem, state the issue and ask if someone can help you. If you come to just rant don't be surprised if people rant back.

2. If someone has an issue don't act like it's a personal attack on your satisfaction.

3. If someone is happy with their device don't act like their satisfaction somehow diminishes your issue.
    R Field likes this.
    04-13-13 01:03 PM
    If the iPhone 6 removed features, people would be complaining about that too. There's not really any excuse to skimp out on the features people used in OS9 for OS10.
    The playbook was extremely lacking and you'd think in the last two years since it was released they'd have had some time to backport some features from OS9 to cater to the old users as well.

I do believe in 18 months time OS10 will be rock solid and the phones will be a lot better, I check the forums daily hoping for some news on new features or changes to the phone lineup.

You know, it's funny how before BB10, most everyone couldn't wait for the "new" OS. The old one couldn't keep up with what people wanted, like Android and iOS. Now that it's here with it's new features (I agree it still has some work to do) a lot of people are complaining that it's not more like the old BB OS.

I think people have to give it time, both for the OS to mature and to get used to it. If you absolutely need the features of the old OS, by all means go back to the 9900, it's a great phone. But I really believe that Blackberry wanted to do something new, and not be forever attached to the old way which had a negative feel for most consumers. People left BB or would never give it a try before. They are trying to win those people over and you either have to go along for the ride (be patient) or grab a legacy device. There is no right or wrong answer, it is a personal choice.
    04-13-13 01:05 PM
    Where do you get 7 billion ppl from? BlackBerry only sold a million or 2. Or was that just shipped. Who knows.
    I like how ppl bash the iphone as a toy. Well this toy basically took the whole market away from BlackBerry and almost took them out of the game.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry camp is in no position to bash the "Toy" until we see 10.1 Anymore bashing are just going to be responded by intransigent group of individuals who'd cut off their noses just to spite their faces. Save your energy for 10.1.
    Residing likes this.
    04-13-13 01:07 PM
    Definitely not a deal breaker in my book.
    Nor mine. I did a lot of research on the phone before I purchased the Z10 so I knew exactly what I was gaining and losing moving from OS7 to OS10.

I think a lot of people are upset that they didn't do research into the phone features, or lack of features. Like so many in our society, we like to blame someone else. Society in general is getting to the point that if we don't get instant gratification from an item, then it must be a POS. Not to many people post about their patience with devices in our life because the devices are so much a part of what we are and what we do.

Everybody take a chill pill and go hug someone close to you. You will find it is much more rewarding :-)

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    grover5, mujahid 10 and HedoBum like this.
    04-13-13 01:13 PM
    Where is Maverick Hunter? No responses to the responses? I guess he doesn't really care... He'll be back when the new OS with the extra configuration details comes out.
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    04-13-13 01:25 PM
    These things will come later on. Most of the 2 years BB10 took to make was the frameworks and architecture as well as integrating current things into the new os such as BES10. Multiple alarms and having ability to have custom notifications and set alarms from the calendar are things that probably 5-10% of current smart phone owners do. If I had a choice between them giving me timeshift which is a cool feature that can be marketed and custom notifications I know which one I would pick especially as a company that is trying to become cool and mainstream again.
    04-13-13 01:39 PM
    You guys seriously are an embarrassment to Blackberry and its original core group of owners. 90% of the replies to the op are worse than anything I've ever seen on an iPhone thread. It's like a flood of teens migrated from who knows where to the new Z10. The amount of apologists for this phone is truly amazing to me (and apparently to a growing number of people on here). Crackberry needs to clean house and go back to having adult conversations, and people who actually have relatively intelligent things to say from time to time. Good lord
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Foroplex
    That's funny coming from you considering you're the one who can't have an adult conversation. All you do is come here to troll which can be seen by the tone of your posts. If you actually wanted to have an adult conversation you would change your tone from continuous bashing to stating your grievances in a professional matter which you're incapable of.

You do nothing but bait for the responses you get so you can turn around and bash what you were looking for in the first place.
    04-13-13 01:41 PM
    BlackBerry camp is in no position to bash the "Toy" until we see 10.1 Anymore bashing are just going to be responded by intransigent group of individuals who'd cut off their noses just to spite their faces. Save your energy for 10.1.
    It would be better if you kept your expectations of 10.1 low. It's mainly coming out to add compatibility for the Q10's physical keyboard; with some UI tweaks.

It won't be coming to the Z10 for at least a couple of weeks after the Q10 is released. It's most likely to only bring the same UI tweaks with a small handful of maintenance bug squishes.

I wouldn't expect any patch: 10.1, 10.2 or whatever to magic wand BlackBerry 10 into a mature, as fully featured as a 5/6 year old OS.

Improvements are going to come at the same pace as any other mobile OS: slowly, sometimes unexpectedly and at a gradual rate.

As an example; take a look at how many years it took Apple to add copy/paste.
    04-13-13 01:58 PM
    Where is Maverick Hunter? No responses to the responses? I guess he doesn't really care... He'll be back when the new OS with the extra configuration details comes out.
    Your Childish behavior had something to do wit it
    04-13-13 02:44 PM
    The OP implied that he wasn't coming back in the OP.

This was a one-shot rant and run.
    04-13-13 02:50 PM
    I do believe in 18 months time OS10 will be rock solid and the phones will be a lot better, I check the forums daily hoping for some news on new features or changes to the phone lineup.
    If it takes 18 months for BBRY to get BB10 to a point of being "rock solid", they will have been even further eclipsed by iOS and Android to the point of irrelevance. BBRY has had over two years to bring out a "rock solid" alternative to iOS and Android. In many, many ways, they have succeeded. Sadly, in many, many ways, they have truly failed.

Patience can be a virtue. But as someone else stated in this thread, BBRY's competitors and detractors have already begun burying a body before it is even dead. What makes anyone think that they will be patient for the next 18 months? Every weakness will be highlighted and exploited. Every hiccup will be magnified. BBRY is not alone in this treatment. Just look at how the media (and the public) react to even the slightest perception of weakness for Apple or, perhaps to a lesser degree, Samsung. 18-months, 12-months, heck, maybe even 8-months is too long.

Unlike some people on this forum who think that this is BBRY's debut in the marketplace and that BB10 was dreamt up recently, most people think/know that BBRY has been around for over a decade. For the first part of that period, RIM was in the lead and blazing serious trails. For the last few years of RIM failed to retain their lead and allowed competitors to do the trail blazing. BB10 is not BBRY's first chance, sadly. It is BBRY's last. If BBRY can't get it right and get it right soon (eg. with OS 10.1 or 10.101 or soon thereafter), they're going to have to worry more about what the market will do that what a bunch of BB-addicts say on a message board.

While BBRY has disputed the findings by analysts at Detwiler Fenton, the fact remains that there is a great deal of skepticism about BBRY's ability to pull out of the spiral it finds itself in. Sadly, BBRY has not succeeded in putting its best foot forward during a critical time: No one is lining up for the Z10 (and don't tell me that line-ups are overrated since BBRY and their enthusiasts were screaming the supposed queues at stores in the UK during the Z10 launch phase in that country). The so-called "positive" reviews either from BB enthusiasts or are generally just so-so when from independent reviewers (Kevin O'Leary notwithstanding). I know far too many BB loyalists who feel particularly let down by BB10. Whether these people have given BB10 enough of a chance is entirely irrelevant. If/when consumers write off a product, who cares whether they've truly given something a chance. Most products get one chance to make a good impression. Failure means a product is discarded -- especially when there are competing products that appear, at least on the surface, to do more.

I hope that BBRY figures this out before too late. The OP has done BBRY a huge favor by articulating his issues with BB10 so clearly. BBRY should do itself a favor and address those issues fast.
    Davidro1 and Drew808 like this.
    04-13-13 04:11 PM
    Just move on then. It's obvious you don't like BB10 but as someone who has used Android, iOS, and WebOS I can see there is a lot of greatness in BB10.

People who magnify every little deficiency go overboard and don't even really want to give it a chance so just move on to what works for you. You don't need to come on here and sound like a broken record saying they're going out of business as what does that accomplish?
    R Field likes this.
    04-13-13 04:27 PM
    I am writing this in great dismay because I had such high hopes for this phone and I waited so patiently for this device being not only in the USA but also being a Verizon customer. But I can not idly stand by and give rave reviews to a phone that in my opinion has no resemblance to a Blackberry phone what so ever not because the changed the look of the OS but because they stripped down the core functionality of the device that Blackberry has been know for for so long. Below are my list of grievances.

1. The Alarm Clock, One of my favorite features of the old Blackberry devices was the ability to have multiple alarms setup on the phone so that I wouldn't have to keep changing my alarm each day or so for my ever changing schedule. Nope in BB10 we only have one alarm and if we want more we need to buy an app for that. Now seasoned Blackberry owners would say no problem just use the Calendar to set Alarms well that actually leads into grievance number 2.

I agree, one alarm was a major oversight. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

2. The Calendar, Setting alarms from the Calendar on BB10. Guess what you can't, and Santa Claus isn't real either (while I am bursting bubbles). So when I'm at work and I need reminders to do things I am still having to use my iPhone. I don't know who outside of maybe Blackberry employees and 15 year old kids that keep their eyes glued to there phone 24/7 but for a lot of us we need a sound to let us know something is happening on our phone, Which leads into my third point.

I get a sound, LED and a notification pop up on mine. I'm not sure what yours is doing?

3 The Sounds. You know how with the Blackberry you could set all those cool sounds and vibration patterns for your emails and texts so that you knew what you were getting so you would know if it was important to pull out your phone in the middle of an meeting at work. Well you this has been dumbed down to the point that you can have different sounds but you can not set different sounds for each email account meaning that of the 7 email addresses I have for my work and personal life If an email comes in I hear the same sound for each email meaning I never know if an important email is coming in or if it is just junk I can look at later. Again forcing me to keep carrying my iPhone using it on Wifi so I can tell if the email coming in is important or not.

If you would have done your research you would know that this is something they are working on and until then, you can use the plethora of LED, vibrate and sound customizers in BlackBerry world.

4. Notes, ... What notes?? Yeah a huge part of the way I keep important information logged on my phone. Yeah it is totally gone... My Blackberry 8830, 8330, 9630, 9650, 9850, and iPhone all had notes and I use them all the time. But no the BB10 OS is too cool for important organization tools now and it has been left off the menu.

You're unable to use BlackBerry remember? Evernote integration? Am I missing something?

5. Contacts, I had an iPhone before this so I had my contacts in iCloud which was good since I still had my Blackberry Protect account, but wont go into that until number 6. Well I used the CardDAV feature and it synced up my contacts just fine. How ever viewing or accessing my contacts has been a nightmare. When trying to load a contact to see the number it would just sit there like it didn't realize it had been touched then upon tapping it again it would open a totally different contact not even in the same part of the alphabet. When trying to edit a contact on the phone the phone would go to a white screen and do nothing at all. which had to be a syncing error because I added a contact to my phone separate of the synced ones and it allowed me to edit with no problem. Which lead me to the conclusion that if I want my contacts to work I need to stop the syncing and manually re-enter all my contacts by hand.

You should have recognized that this is an abnormal behavior and did a reformat or an exchange.

6. Blackberry Protect, one of the greatest phone syncing apps ever crafted I would put it above iCloud and Google Sync for Droid any day. Until now because it seems to have been reduced to a simple Find my Phone app meaning that the back up I had in BB Protect with my contacts couldn't be synced hence the reason for setting up CardDAV which as you read was a disaster.

You back up for your phone with BlackBerry Link. Please do your research. I have a macbook pro and I am able to import contacts directly from my address book if need be.

I admit I lost touch with Blackberry because I wanted more and strayed to the iPhone and when I heard about the BlackBerry Z10 I was super excited because I was thinking that it would be the best of two worlds things I like about the iPhone married with all the kick *** features that I Loved about my Blackberry. Well this phone would be great for me if I didn't have a job and never had anything important to do but when a phone that carries the Blackberry name comes out I expected it to help me accomplish my daily goals better and not make me feel like I am being hindered or handicapped by using it.

So for now I am back on my iPhone and will probably end up buying a Blackberry Bold Touch so I can BBM again and still be able to manage my life at the same time.
    Use whatever phone you are FAMILIAR with. You didn't do a lot of research and I don't remember you actually ever asking for help on these forums so the fault is on you. Things change. You wouldn't have switched to an iPhone if you enjoyed things the way they were on BB7 if not. As with all life, do your research before spending 200 bucks on a phone and don't expect things to work like OS7. The hint is BlackBerry 10.
    04-13-13 04:40 PM
    you have to give the phone some time sheeesh lol. How long has it been out? Less than a month on Verizon? It's different that the old BlackBerry but change is good. And the bold 9930 went through rough times as well when it launched. I was one of the first people with one but after a few OS updates everything settled in. And look at the bold now, it's amazing

Sent From My BlackBerry Z10
    04-13-13 04:45 PM
    It's better than my galaxy s3 which I had for six months, it did everything but nothing well. Especially emailing, it was. Disaster. I can't speak about the iPhone but the Z10 is a excellent device.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 04:47 PM
    You guys seriously are an embarrassment to Blackberry and its original core group of owners. 90% of the replies to the op are worse than anything I've ever seen on an iPhone thread. It's like a flood of teens migrated from who knows where to the new Z10. The amount of apologists for this phone is truly amazing to me (and apparently to a growing number of people on here). Crackberry needs to clean house and go back to having adult conversations, and people who actually have relatively intelligent things to say from time to time. Good lord
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Foroplex
    Like WPCentral? Yeah, I remember what it was like there. How many times were people like you agreeing with the sacrifices made from going from WP7.5 to WP8? I remember when someone would start complaining that things were lost when upgrading to WP8 and people shot them down and crucified them for wanting it. How many apologists told everyone that custom SMS messages or other things were unnecessary. Hypocritical.
    04-13-13 04:50 PM
233 12345 ...