I am writing this in great dismay because I had such high hopes for this phone and I waited so patiently for this device being not only in the USA but also being a Verizon customer. But I can not idly stand by and give rave reviews to a phone that in my opinion has no resemblance to a Blackberry phone what so ever not because the changed the look of the OS but because they stripped down the core functionality of the device that Blackberry has been know for for so long. Below are my list of grievances.

1. The Alarm Clock, One of my favorite features of the old Blackberry devices was the ability to have multiple alarms setup on the phone so that I wouldn't have to keep changing my alarm each day or so for my ever changing schedule. Nope in BB10 we only have one alarm and if we want more we need to buy an app for that. Now seasoned Blackberry owners would say no problem just use the Calendar to set Alarms well that actually leads into grievance number 2.

2. The Calendar, Setting alarms from the Calendar on BB10. Guess what you can't, and Santa Claus isn't real either (while I am bursting bubbles). So when I'm at work and I need reminders to do things I am still having to use my iPhone. I don't know who outside of maybe Blackberry employees and 15 year old kids that keep their eyes glued to there phone 24/7 but for a lot of us we need a sound to let us know something is happening on our phone, Which leads into my third point.

3 The Sounds. You know how with the Blackberry you could set all those cool sounds and vibration patterns for your emails and texts so that you knew what you were getting so you would know if it was important to pull out your phone in the middle of an meeting at work. Well you this has been dumbed down to the point that you can have different sounds but you can not set different sounds for each email account meaning that of the 7 email addresses I have for my work and personal life If an email comes in I hear the same sound for each email meaning I never know if an important email is coming in or if it is just junk I can look at later. Again forcing me to keep carrying my iPhone using it on Wifi so I can tell if the email coming in is important or not.

4. Notes, ... What notes?? Yeah a huge part of the way I keep important information logged on my phone. Yeah it is totally gone... My Blackberry 8830, 8330, 9630, 9650, 9850, and iPhone all had notes and I use them all the time. But no the BB10 OS is too cool for important organization tools now and it has been left off the menu.

5. Contacts, I had an iPhone before this so I had my contacts in iCloud which was good since I still had my Blackberry Protect account, but wont go into that until number 6. Well I used the CardDAV feature and it synced up my contacts just fine. How ever viewing or accessing my contacts has been a nightmare. When trying to load a contact to see the number it would just sit there like it didn't realize it had been touched then upon tapping it again it would open a totally different contact not even in the same part of the alphabet. When trying to edit a contact on the phone the phone would go to a white screen and do nothing at all. which had to be a syncing error because I added a contact to my phone separate of the synced ones and it allowed me to edit with no problem. Which lead me to the conclusion that if I want my contacts to work I need to stop the syncing and manually re-enter all my contacts by hand.

6. Blackberry Protect, one of the greatest phone syncing apps ever crafted I would put it above iCloud and Google Sync for Droid any day. Until now because it seems to have been reduced to a simple Find my Phone app meaning that the back up I had in BB Protect with my contacts couldn't be synced hence the reason for setting up CardDAV which as you read was a disaster.

I admit I lost touch with Blackberry because I wanted more and strayed to the iPhone and when I heard about the BlackBerry Z10 I was super excited because I was thinking that it would be the best of two worlds things I like about the iPhone married with all the kick *** features that I Loved about my Blackberry. Well this phone would be great for me if I didn't have a job and never had anything important to do but when a phone that carries the Blackberry name comes out I expected it to help me accomplish my daily goals better and not make me feel like I am being hindered or handicapped by using it.

So for now I am back on my iPhone and will probably end up buying a Blackberry Bold Touch so I can BBM again and still be able to manage my life at the same time.
    04-13-13 06:33 AM
    The Z10 is not the old BlackBerry We know but better in my opinion. Since this is the first release of BB10 there will be some glitches that we all don't like but for the most part this BlackBerry is a keeper.

And understand it's not for everyone and if you tried it and don't like it that great at least you gave it a try.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 06:41 AM
    I agree with some of your points but I am not sure what you mean by # 2 with respect to the calendar.
    If an audio alert, flashing red led and a screen alert that you have to dismiss or snooze doesn't alert you that you need to do something important, I am not sure what will.

Notes was replaced by Reminder.... which is easier to organize... colours, folders, etc.

Multiple alarms, though I don't use them, are coming.

The backup function of Blackberry Protect was replaced by Blackberry Link.

I never owned an iPhone, but I am pretty sure some of the functions you require needed to be added via apps.... so why can't you cut the Z10 the same slack ?
    Last edited by sooman54; 04-13-13 at 07:11 AM.
    04-13-13 06:58 AM
    Dude.. It's version 1 of phone 1. At least wait till an update. We're still at 10.0.

All the issues you listed will be added.

Blackberry took two years to build what Apply and Google spent 4 years making for their first phone. There's a lot coming in the next two or three updates

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 06:58 AM
    You said that there is no notes. Use the remember feature.

Posted via z10
    04-13-13 07:12 AM
    I am writing this in great dismay because I had such high hopes for this phone and I waited so patiently for this device being not only in the USA but also being a Verizon customer. But I can not idly stand by and give rave reviews to a phone that in my opinion has no resemblance to a Blackberry phone what so ever not because the changed the look of the OS but because they stripped down the core functionality of the device that Blackberry has been know for for so long. Below are my list of grievances.

1. The Alarm Clock, One of my favorite features of the old Blackberry devices was the ability to have multiple alarms setup on the phone so that I wouldn't have to keep changing my alarm each day or so for my ever changing schedule. Nope in BB10 we only have one alarm and if we want more we need to buy an app for that. Now seasoned Blackberry owners would say no problem just use the Calendar to set Alarms well that actually leads into grievance number 2.

2. The Calendar, Setting alarms from the Calendar on BB10. Guess what you can't, and Santa Claus isn't real either (while I am bursting bubbles). So when I'm at work and I need reminders to do things I am still having to use my iPhone. I don't know who outside of maybe Blackberry employees and 15 year old kids that keep their eyes glued to there phone 24/7 but for a lot of us we need a sound to let us know something is happening on our phone, Which leads into my third point.

3 The Sounds. You know how with the Blackberry you could set all those cool sounds and vibration patterns for your emails and texts so that you knew what you were getting so you would know if it was important to pull out your phone in the middle of an meeting at work. Well you this has been dumbed down to the point that you can have different sounds but you can not set different sounds for each email account meaning that of the 7 email addresses I have for my work and personal life If an email comes in I hear the same sound for each email meaning I never know if an important email is coming in or if it is just junk I can look at later. Again forcing me to keep carrying my iPhone using it on Wifi so I can tell if the email coming in is important or not.

4. Notes, ... What notes?? Yeah a huge part of the way I keep important information logged on my phone. Yeah it is totally gone... My Blackberry 8830, 8330, 9630, 9650, 9850, and iPhone all had notes and I use them all the time. But no the BB10 OS is too cool for important organization tools now and it has been left off the menu.

5. Contacts, I had an iPhone before this so I had my contacts in iCloud which was good since I still had my Blackberry Protect account, but wont go into that until number 6. Well I used the CardDAV feature and it synced up my contacts just fine. How ever viewing or accessing my contacts has been a nightmare. When trying to load a contact to see the number it would just sit there like it didn't realize it had been touched then upon tapping it again it would open a totally different contact not even in the same part of the alphabet. When trying to edit a contact on the phone the phone would go to a white screen and do nothing at all. which had to be a syncing error because I added a contact to my phone separate of the synced ones and it allowed me to edit with no problem. Which lead me to the conclusion that if I want my contacts to work I need to stop the syncing and manually re-enter all my contacts by hand.

6. Blackberry Protect, one of the greatest phone syncing apps ever crafted I would put it above iCloud and Google Sync for Droid any day. Until now because it seems to have been reduced to a simple Find my Phone app meaning that the back up I had in BB Protect with my contacts couldn't be synced hence the reason for setting up CardDAV which as you read was a disaster.

I admit I lost touch with Blackberry because I wanted more and strayed to the iPhone and when I heard about the BlackBerry Z10 I was super excited because I was thinking that it would be the best of two worlds things I like about the iPhone married with all the kick *** features that I Loved about my Blackberry. Well this phone would be great for me if I didn't have a job and never had anything important to do but when a phone that carries the Blackberry name comes out I expected it to help me accomplish my daily goals better and not make me feel like I am being hindered or handicapped by using it.

So for now I am back on my iPhone and will probably end up buying a Blackberry Bold Touch so I can BBM again and still be able to manage my life at the same time.
    The thing is all of your complaints I'm sure will be addressed in future os updates. The os is a baby give it some time to grow.

Posted via CB10
    dbeir likes this.
    04-13-13 07:27 AM
    I miss notes too. I used it all the time on my previous BlackBerry's. Yes I know remember took its place but I still like notes.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    04-13-13 07:30 AM
    What is with all your this stuff about multiple alarms guff!! , peeps would send a phone back cause of no multiple alarms am I missing something??
    04-13-13 07:34 AM
    all my "notes" from prior generations made their way to the notes section of the remember app. Seamless transition.

I hate the response to people who have issues that it will be fixed in the next updates....but really, these are all tiny things that I am sure will be addressed in order to bring 10 up to parity of 7 level capabilities.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-13-13 07:35 AM
    I miss notes too. I used it all the time on my previous BlackBerry's. Yes I know remember took its place but I still like notes.

Memo pad is a free download and thats what I use now!

Posted via CB10
    scottae316 likes this.
    04-13-13 07:38 AM
    What is with all your this stuff about multiple alarms guff!! , peeps would send a phone back cause of no multiple alarms am I missing something??
    Definitely not a deal breaker in my book.
    ibpluto likes this.
    04-13-13 07:44 AM

I don't remember ever being able to set multiple alarms on my old blackberrys. It was always one alarm at a time using the alarm clock.

I'm not sure why you are saying this doesn't work when it obviously and very demonstrably does work. flawlessly.

built in profile customization is weak. However it is very easy to SEE which messages are important by using Peek. It literally takes seconds.

There are a lot of 3rd party apps now that bring this functionality.

Notes is now called Remember. It's still there.

I have two gmail account contacts, one hotmail, facebook, twitter, BBM and locally added contacts synced in my Contacts.

It's really amazing i can cross link contacts from multiple locations into one Contact; which if i click on gives me multiple choices on how to send a message. Works like a charm.

I kind of agree here, Blackberry Protect was butchered. However Blackberry Link provides the same functions and Protect will be getting more functionality as the platform matures. So i'm not going to excreate any masonry over it.

Thank you for creating an account and using your very first post to let us know you prefer Apple to Blackberry. It means a lot to us.

Really; it's not like there are users who create throwaway accounts every day just to post negative and usually uninformed misinformation about Blackberry and the Z10.
    04-13-13 07:44 AM
    all my "notes" from prior generations made their way to the notes section of the remember app. Seamless transition.

I hate the response to people who have issues that it will be fixed in the next updates....but really, these are all tiny things that I am sure will be addressed in order to bring 10 up to parity of 7 level capabilities.
    The loss of custom profile notification is NOT a "tiny" thing, it's a huge thing. I've had my Z10 for 11days and updated the OS on my 9810 last night in preparation for returning the Z10 (probably) because of this not tiny reason (along with BlackBerry Travel, and BlackBerry Mobile Conferencing issues).

Posted via CB10
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    04-13-13 07:54 AM
    ,yes I think they will. People have certain expectations and when those are not met they get disappointed of course.

I find that the most frustrated crowd with the Z10 are the BlackBerry users!! As weird as it sounds that is the experience among my friends. The ones coming from droids had zero issues the ones from ios have some issues when the ones coming from BlackBerry legacy devices are literally freaking out in some cases cause they can't grasp the way Z10 functions.
    I've personally handed out hours upon hours of "How to".

Once again the Z10 is amazing but the OP is right in a sense that people come with certain expectations and the device falls short in some cases .

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 07:55 AM
    Hey you tried it at least. Obviously it's not for you.
    04-13-13 07:57 AM
    I do missed that note app on the legacy os7 device (I used 9860 b4 z10) but remember app makes me forget I ever missed that note app on os7 device, its just me
    mnc76 likes this.
    04-13-13 08:04 AM
    Although I agree with some legitimate posts on this site stating some functions of old BBOS should have made it to BlackBerry 10.

The approach to which this issues and personal opinions are addressed are quite tasteless. I guess the sayings true, it's not what you do good, it's what you do bad people only seem to remember!

Do I want bedside mode to automatically be set when I plug my charger in my Z10? Absolutely! Do I want to be able to assign music I have on my Z10 directly to contacts from within the music player for some personalization? Sure I do! (yes I know this can be done within the edit section of the contact)

But are these two things going to over shadow the multiple improvements BlackBerry has made with BB10? HELL NO! The entire user experience on this phone is amazing, you must seriously have liked BBOS 5,6 and 7, with their battery pulls because of freezing, having to restart the phone because of memory leaks, almost non functioning MMS capabilities, worst browser on a smartphone....like, ever!

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    04-13-13 08:04 AM
    Multiple alerts are available through third party apps. Here are two easy solutions, there are many more;
    BeBuzz 10 Pro now available for BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    Customize your LED notifications with Color LED Messages | CrackBerry.com

For notes, I use Docs to Go to have notes/documents from my PC on my phone, also Remember app works great, just have to get used to it. Remember app synced with Evernote and that's good too. There are also third party apps that work great like;
    Notepad, by Harshal Bidasaria

I'm sure there's fixes to all your issues.

Give the Z10 a little effort, it's worth it. You get to have a cool new phone, and not be a Lemming following all the other Techno Zombies to the nearest Apple Store at the mall.

Edit; PS. I have my contacts synced between my PC Outlook, Outlook.com and my Z10, it works great. I also have my calendar synced that way.
    04-13-13 08:08 AM
    You could accomplish that by keeping your Z10 seeing how the OS matures.

As to your other issues I can sympathize to a point but coming from a 9810 I knew there were going to be some trade-offs because, despite the fact that it says "BlackBerry" it is a new operating system. I also knew that I was going to have to learn some to do business differently in some areas. Doing something differently isn't a "bug" or even necessarily the lack of a feature. If I went to iphone from my 9810 I would have to learn new ways of accomplishing some of the same things. Same if I went to Android. For example. The remember app is different but it works. You can manage notes in different folders and place them in the Evernote folder (if you use Evernote) so they are available across all you devices if you like. Different, but with useful features. You may not be able to set a different tone for each email account but you do have the ability to simply peek and see whether you need to take action on a email immediately. The rest of the messages (BBM, BBM video, Text, FB, twitter etc) can all receive their own distinct notification tone.

I could go on but the point is no two operating systems do everything exactly the same even if they have the same or similar features. BB 10 is new and features will be added no doubt but if you want nothing to change then you should change nothing.
    j21jam6 and a4t like this.
    04-13-13 08:33 AM
    One of the reasons I am staying with 9900 on OS7.1 for the time being. BB10 may be on v1, and legacy BB may have issues (rarely had problems), but isn't the point of an overhaul to mitigate the problems WITHOUT removing some of the best functions of legacy? I will keep my eyes on here and wait to see how many of those features I depend on get incorporated and my favorite 3d party apps get updated. OS11 anyone ? LOVE LOVE LOVE BB, especially my 9900.
    Dextermutt and Mattster723 like this.
    04-13-13 08:35 AM
    Well keep in mind your only one out of 7 billion in the world who aren't happy with the new OS10 devices which isn't a big deal really. So I hope you continue to love your tiny iSheep device which looks and feels like a kids toy!
    04-13-13 08:41 AM
    I am writing this in great dismay because I had such high hopes for this phone
    Boohoo...so version 1.0 of a brand new OS isn't perfect for you. Sorry that it doesn't have all the built in features and functionality of other os's on their 5th and 6th iterations.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-13-13 08:53 AM

There is a free Memo Pad app that is just like the old one, I use it all the time.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    04-13-13 08:56 AM
    You guys seriously are an embarrassment to Blackberry and its original core group of owners. 90% of the replies to the op are worse than anything I've ever seen on an iPhone thread. It's like a flood of teens migrated from who knows where to the new Z10. The amount of apologists for this phone is truly amazing to me (and apparently to a growing number of people on here). Crackberry needs to clean house and go back to having adult conversations, and people who actually have relatively intelligent things to say from time to time. Good lord
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Foroplex
    04-13-13 09:09 AM
    I totally feel ya on number three. And the "updates are gonna fix it" argument is even more unsettling as it simply demonstrates that BB didn't learn $hit from the PlayBook rush -to-release fiasco.
    I am convinced that they STILL weren't ready January 30 and released this OS under pressure. A new OS is fine, and I still love my Z10 and will not return it, but to do away with some of the BB core features loved by power users....just dumb dumb dumb. Did no one speak up in the meetings and say, "look guys, people are going to flip out if you drop that.?"
    soogriff, mset and Bakamushi like this.
    04-13-13 09:17 AM
233 123 ...