I have had triple and quadruple contacts since January. Its a mess, contact x doesn't work and I've been hoping leak after leak that blackberry fixed this and the Calender app problems but they haven't so I'm moving on this fall, I've given BlackBerry my last 9 years of phones and I'm so tired...

In the meantime I really didn't want my contacts synced to my Gmail or Hotmail but I guess blackberry is making me. So my question is this, what is the easiest way to get my 900 original contacts (2000 doubles) from my phone to gmail or hotmail and which is better? Once I have my contacts sorted there, what do i do next to resolve contacts issues on my Z10?

My end goal is to have single contacts, no Facebook , Twitter or any of that extra crap.. if I see a damn Facebook contact mixed into my contacts one more time I will be ultimately upset. I have all 3rd party contacts disabled and not sync'd yet this phone still wants to show some of them.

I hope someone can help

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bdot-1; 09-30-13 at 06:08 PM.
    09-30-13 05:57 PM
    Not too sure about moving the contacts to GMail or Hotmail, and sorry to hear you're so discouraged with your device, but did you know you can filter your contacts so that it only shows the accounts you want? In the contacts app, swipe down from the top and select the options. In there you can deselect all of your accounts you don't want to pull from. Hope that helps make your last little bit a little more bareable.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and Anonymous2039 like this.
    09-30-13 08:06 PM
    If you don't want to sync your accounts with Google, etc. you can go into Settings -> Accounts, then select your account. If your account uses Exchange ActiveSync (like Outlook.com--formerly Hotmail) there will be a toggle to disable syncing contacts. If it's with IMAP (like Gmail) it will show three sub-accounts within the account: Email, Contacts, and Calendar. Just delete the Contacts sub-account. (You can also set the default calendar here, which I just discovered now and was bugging me before.)

As for cleaning up your duplicates, I did it manually when I had this problem, but I had less than 50. With 900 that would take way too long, so you have a few options:

~ Download and use an application on BB World called "Contacts Merger", though it has a really low rating and looks dodgy. There might be a few other apps out there that do this (including Android sideloads).

~ Sync your contacts to Windows Contacts or MS Office Outlook using Link (one-way to computer), then manually sort through them and delete the duplicates on your PC (which would be way easier than on the phone, especially because you can do proper search and sorting). Once you've sorted through them, change the sync direction in Link to one-way sync to your phone, then erase all your contacts on your phone. Now sync from your computer back to your phone. I would create a phone backup before doing this in case something gets messed up.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-13 09:08 PM
    Sorry, double post.
    09-30-13 09:09 PM
    Also, is this the only reason you're frustrated with BlackBerry? Because at the end of the day, the Z10 is still a great phone. Most other systems have little bugs like this (yes, even Apple), but because BB10 is so new, some of the problems are exacerbated a bit. Soon enough all the kinks will be worked out in the OS.

My point is, don't waste your money if you really don't need to get a new phone.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    09-30-13 09:16 PM
    I have all 3rd party apps unsynced
    Where to store my contacts and how?-img_00002043.png

Yet my contacts is still filled with Facebook and Skype. I don't even know who half of them are.
    Where to store my contacts and how?-img_00002042.png

I'm also frustrated because I work in the home automation industry and sell products that work from your smartphone. Its not just the developers who aren't developing for BlackBerry. I'm being told blackberry isn't providing the proper tools they need to develop proper apps like they have on android and iPhone.

BlackBerry just doesn't seem to care anymore. Just read the result of the headless app saga going on. Its ridiculous how difficult blackberry is making their platform

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 07:54 AM
    I would sync with Outlook (desktop), export contacts to a file with Excel being the file format chosen and wipe the phone and all contact data bases.

Then I would use Excel to sort, delete repair my contacts database, import the repaired data back into Outlook and sync Outlook back to my phone.

These kinds of problems are usually caused by creating a loop instead of a linear sync environment.

HTH

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 08:04 AM
    THIS DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE UNSSYNCED! Don't you know how to read? It says SHOW in contacts list, if you don't want to sync contacts, then don't add contacts as part of that account, i.e. when you added Gmail, just select calendar and emails,

Via CB10
    10-02-13 08:18 AM
    For those mystery contacts, go into the setup and then to advanced and select "clear local contacts" and that will wipe those contacts not associated with a particular email account.
    10-02-13 08:26 AM
    Lol.. I don't have any contacts associated with any email accounts. That's the whole problem. I came from a BlackBerry 9860. I used blackberry manager to bring my contacts over which were problem free on the legacy BlackBerry. As soon as I did my first back up and restore with link it's never been the same. I've tried unlinking and after a couple weeks they're all linked again.

Let me recap. I have "Zero" contacts in any email accounts. I don't have a paid outlook, just the free one to access hotmail. I really don't want them there if I don't have to. I only want them local on my phone. I don't want Google or Microsoft sifting through my contacts.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 11:58 AM
    LOL! Try Fire Chest Backup.

Backup to and restore from Dropbox. Encrypted prior to upload. Free in BB World.

Kind of like an encrypted iCloud for BB10 phones.
    10-03-13 12:26 PM
    I've given BlackBerry my last 9 years of phones and I'm so tired...

In the meantime I really didn't want my contacts synced to my Gmail or Hotmail but I guess blackberry is making me...
    Checkout Fire Chest Backup. It's free. It's what you have been looking for.
    10-03-13 12:30 PM
    I'll check it out tonight.. awesome thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 02:47 PM
    I'll check it out tonight.. awesome thanks

Posted via CB10
    I can vouch for this fire chest backup. I backed up my contacts and restored. It just worked simply. Point to note is that I do not have any linked contacts. Linked contacts are more of a hassle than anything. I really hope BlackBerry fixes it.
    10-05-13 02:50 PM
    For those mystery contacts, go into the setup and then to advanced and select "clear local contacts" and that will wipe those contacts not associated with a particular email account.
    LP, what setup are you referring to ?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 04:09 PM
    The thing is most people I know want to keep contacts separate and nit intermix everything

Link just works so horribly and not user friendly. Sometimes contacts get auto linked to wrong contacts and you end up calling an ex girlfriend instead of your coworker.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 06:57 PM
    Ha! Yeah I had xcontacts link my mom with a coworker and a towing service. no idea how that happened.

I feel your pain, and I think many others do too. I hope BlackBerry has this top of mind to fix in 10.2 or 10.2x...nice to have additional features but fixing crucial bugs like this is more important.

My contacts issue started when I linked contacts with their Facebook, LinkedIn counterparts. Then it got worse when I started using Intouch Contacts app. Contacts started disappearing and then when I backed up it would back up without them. Had a few very frustrating experiences with needing people's numbers at important times when I didn't.

My solution has been to:

- de link all social media contacts
    - de link all contact accounts
    - export all contacts via Contactx to csv
    - open csv in excel and clean up manually
    - upload clean csv back to phone

Couple hundred contacts, took awhile, but it seems ok now. No more linking, no more syncing, the only thing I do is back up csv file when I add new contacts.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 07:17 PM
    I've solved all my problems

Backed up with fire chest, contactx in touch and smsbackup (just in case) . Reloaded 10.2 and made sure not to sync any email or Facebook when setting the phone back up. Thing is Facebook sync'd itself anyways.. I manually deleted over a 1000 doubles and triples and emails with no business being in my contacts. I backed up again using fire chest, turned off in settings for it to show contacts from bblink, sim and Facebook and now we're back to normal. Also I made sure not to sync email calendars either, just Facebook birthdays.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 10:24 AM
    That is one reason. I don't use either the Facebook or LinkedIn apps in my phone but go to the browser to see them. Don't want app contacts mixed in or duplicating my main contacts which sync with Activesync.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 10:35 AM
    I've solved all my problems...Backed up with fire chest...Reloaded 10.2....
    Thanks for the feedback.
    10-07-13 07:41 AM