Does anyone else feel this way, and believe its another shortcoming of the system that we can't change the wake-up settings for the phone?

Having to swipe up from the bottom immediately after the screen turns off is kind of a hassle and really more mimics the feature of a lock. I would prefer that you have two procedures for the Auto-dim. First it would dim/darken after the time period as set by user (exact same setting that we currently have), but you could immediately wake the phone to the last active window or app with a simple screen touch. Second setting beyond that would be another user set time period after which the screen would lock and we would have to perform the upswipe in order to wake the phone (a setting that we currently have No option for). I think something like this would be the most appropriate, basically mimicking a 3rd party "StormSlider" app I used on my 9530. I dunno, I'm just REALLY annoyed that I have no real control over a screen lock which really interrupts messaging conversations. What does the crackberry nation think?

I also think that we should be able to display at Minimum the time & date on a darkened/locked screen. Or again a simple single screen touch to display said info...I'm likely being a princess but sometimes a upswipe is too complicated a gesture, but that's just imho..I don't need to be flamed for it.
    02-22-13 01:12 PM
    "sometimes a upswipe is too complicated a gesture, but that's just imho..I don't need to be flamed for it."
    lol, not complicated but everyone has their own preferences, I won't flame you for it.

1. You can see when your screen is about to go off as it dims out it doesn't just turn off. So if you are actually using your phone just touch it then.

2. You can, of course, just increase the screen off time and just click the lock button when you want it to lock (that's what I do).

3. Having the time/date always on the lock screen would kill your battery. I just click the lock button to show the time/date/notifications.

4. Having the screen being able to be woken up with a simple touch recently after it has shut off will no doubt cause all kinds of problems with it accidently calling/messaging/whatever because you think your phone is actually locked in your pocket but it isn't.
    AbsoluteT23 likes this.
    02-22-13 01:18 PM
    Yeah I would also relate the touch the screen to wake to the problem currently with the volume buttons functioning even when the screen is off. It would create a whole new set of headaches by doing it people accidentally bumping it turning on the screen as they slid it into the holster or pouch.
    02-22-13 01:32 PM
    I just tap the screen as its fading to keep it going. If it becomes annoying I swipe up to minimize the app, then swipe down to bring down the settings tab, and change the screen off time to something longer for a temporary amount of time. I leave it open in the background so when I'm done with the app and close it I see the settings sitting open and am reminded to change the screen off time back to 20 seconds.

It's really not that bad! I do the same with the rotation lock when I want it off, which is rare.

-Chris-
    02-22-13 01:48 PM
    I agree, I really enjoy just pressing the trackpad on my Bold 9930 to wake it up.
    Revampd likes this.
    02-23-13 01:04 AM
    i wish there were 2 settings. instead of the screen turning off immediately upon the lock screen time out. one for the time until it goes to the lock screen, then another for how long until the screen shuts off.
    02-23-13 01:29 AM
    Uhhh...it already does what you're describing. First, it dims the screen (pressing anything will wake it back up right away), and then it locks the phone, which requires an up swipe to wake up.

Go complain to iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone. With those OS's, when the screen goes off, you have to actually press the lock button, and then swipe to the right (iOS)/swip up (WP)/move the circle or something similar (Android)
    02-23-13 01:38 AM
    Uhhh...it already does what you're describing. First, it dims the screen (pressing anything will wake it back up right away), and then it locks the phone, which requires an up swipe to wake up.

Go complain to iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone. With those OS's, when the screen goes off, you have to actually press the lock button, and then swipe to the right (iOS)/swip up (WP)/move the circle or something similar (Android)
    True, I have used all phones Iphone android etc. But the unlock implementation on BlackBerry Z10 is by far the best. Swiping is any day easier and cooler than pressing the button.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 01:58 AM
    I think some people have to relax and enjoy their life, if your day is so busy that you can't take the few seconds it takes to adjust some parameters or touch the screen to unlock your device.....your most likely riddled with stress lol.

Posted via CB10
    Bla1ze likes this.
    02-23-13 07:11 AM
    I think some people have to relax and enjoy their life, if your day is so busy that you can't take the few seconds it takes to adjust some parameters or touch the screen to unlock your device.....your most likely riddled with stress lol.

Posted via CB10
    Chronic complainers...
    I'm guessing these folks all have automatic toilet flushers lol.
    02-23-13 08:05 AM
    Coming from a 9900, there is one thing that I do wish the z10 could do, simply pressing the lock button to bypass the swiping lock screen.
    02-23-13 08:11 AM
    Coming from a 9900, there is one thing that I do wish the z10 could do, simply pressing the lock button to bypass the swiping lock screen.
    But swiping is so cool, and it takes the same time as pressing a button, give or take a few milliseconds ;-)

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 08:47 AM
    02-23-13 08:48 AM
    Settings. Display. Allow Gestures when locked...trunk it off. Then you can just hit the power button.

Posted via CB10
    BLu likes this.
    02-23-13 09:45 AM
    An option to unlock with the lock button would be ok, but I like going to the lock screen as we can check out the upcoming calendar events and our messaging situation and the time. If we went right in with the unlock button you would have to do a swipe into the hub to get all that information.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 09:56 AM
    Just got my Z10.

I totally agree and am very surprised there is no way around this. it's enough for me to go back to my 9900.

I want to pick up my phone, it turns on and shows me a screen that looks just like my 9900 keyboard on the bottom and phone call button somewhere.

Some above mentioned to relax and slow down. good idea when I'm on vacation and leave the phone home...but not when I'm trying to get a sh*tload of work done in not enough time.
    03-05-13 04:54 AM
    I'm new to this phone but you advice means you have to hit the power button, then swipe,

why can't they get rid of both, just touch it and the screen is on and ready to go, no swipes.

am I missing something here?
    03-05-13 05:00 AM
    Settings. Display. Allow Gestures when locked...trunk it off. Then you can just hit the power button.

Posted via CB10
    thanks!

I'm new to this phone but your advice means you have to hit the power button, then swipe,

why can't they get rid of both, just touch it and the screen is on and ready to go, no swipes.

03-05-13 05:01 AM
    I've been testing a Galaxy S3 (hate it) and one of the most annoying things is that I have to press the power button and swipe to wake it up again and again. I like pressing a button on the front to wake up the screen like on my BlackBerry Bold.
    03-06-13 02:04 AM
    It's really annoying I have to wipe my own arse.. can't someone come do it for me?
    03-06-13 02:13 AM
    I'm new to this phone but you advice means you have to hit the power button, then swipe,

What? So how do you turn on the phone then? lol have you ever used a modern smartphone? If touching the screen turns it on, it'll turn on in your pocket. Hence the use for a lockscreen -.-

Blackberry currently has the best implementation, because all you have to do is swipe the screen from the bottom, even if its off, and you get right into OS. WIth other phones, you have to click a power button first, and then swipe.
    03-06-13 02:15 AM
    Just got my Z10.

I totally agree and am very surprised there is no way around this. it's enough for me to go back to my 9900.
    Holy crap, really?? Having to swipe the screen to wake it up is enough for you to ditch the phone? So you would give up all that's better about the Z10 as compared to the 9900 because of that?

Honest with you - I don't think the modern breed of smartphones are for you. Having used both the iPhone and the Galaxy SIII, I can absolutely assure you that there isn't a recent super-phone that is going to satisfy you. If something like this is enough to make you to ditch the Z10, there will be something in every phone that makes you ditch it.
    03-06-13 02:18 AM
    Despite what seems to be a trivial matter, I don't blame the OP for complaining about it. BlackBerry can always improve its OS, and adding the option the OP wanted is not a bad idea. It caters to a diversity of user habits. We are all different. It will only make more people happy, and BlackBerry needs to try to make people happy to win back its lost lustre.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 03:01 AM
    Holy crap, really?? Having to swipe the screen to wake it up is enough for you to ditch the phone? So you would give up all that's better about the Z10 as compared to the 9900 because of that?

Honest with you - I don't think the modern breed of smartphones are for you. Having used both the iPhone and the Galaxy SIII, I can absolutely assure you that there isn't a recent super-phone that is going to satisfy you. If something like this is enough to make you to ditch the Z10, there will be something in every phone that makes you ditch it.
    I bought the Z10 then I realised:

- I have to charge it (hellooooohooo, it's 2013 man, we ARE in the future, batteries are so 90's)
    - it's only ONE colour, not two. I thought it's available in black AND white not black OR white
    - sometimes it makes loud ringing sounds (totally annoying)
    - it needs to be told to switch on the display (can't it read my mind? stupid *****)
    - The little blinking lighten ticken tocken is RED, how could they do THAT, big, fat, communist RED. If they don't allow changing it to free yellow, I return it.
    - the RED light is only visible on the front. I always put my phone standing side up with the back facing me on my desk, now I can't see the light. Total bummer. I think I return it.
    - the biggest gripe: it has a logo and blackberry written on the front but the name is missing on the back. I mean, really? how am I supposed to really know it's a Blackberry with JUST the logo. Apple has at least an Apple as a logo but Blackberry, doesn't really look like a blackberry doesn't it?

I attached a photo for all of you so you see what I mean. You can't see the frigging red light this way and there is only the logo.
    (Excuse me but I can't help it, think I ate a clown for breakfast)
    Attached Thumbnails When the screen goes dark it's annoying that you always have to swipe-photo.jpg  
    Last edited by koolpep; 03-06-13 at 03:33 AM. Reason: added more fun
    03-06-13 03:28 AM
    Did someone steal your pacifier?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 05:00 PM