04-18-13 03:36 PM
47 12
tools
    Twitter and Whatsapp are 2 totally different platforms.
    I love the celebrites dissing each other on twitter. How can I get that by using Whatsapp?
    04-17-13 12:08 PM
    BBRY's market share is dwindling without BBM being cross-platform, so wouldn't it make sense to make it cross-platform? As someone suggested make the other platforms pay $0.99, at least get some money out of it. Sheesh. I love BBM to death but it isn't a game changer, whatsapp gets the job done.
    04-17-13 05:06 PM
    I actually wish I could delete WhatsApp. I hate the fact that people must have my mobile number to communicate, and I hate that I can't remove the Contacts that I don't communicate with.

And no, blocking a Contact does NOT remove them.
    04-17-13 05:23 PM
    I told some friends that the z10 has whatsapp. They asked me what in the hell whatsapp is. No traction among my friends. Have 3 people on bbm.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 06:55 PM
    Why do you guys compare it to BBM, isn't it more like yahoo, ICQ, or Google Talk instant messaging? I read that you can make video messages, but not video calls - doesn't that make BBM considerably different? I don't get it either, when I first inserted my curves sd card, it found hundreds of contacts and seemed to automatically import them, which was awesome.. Anyway out if all of those phone numbers only one had WhatsApp, while just about everyone I talk to regularly has yahoo or g talk. Really, what makes it better and so attractive? I'm not asking because I doubt it, but that in this entire thread still Jo one has mentioned what are its unique features that made them choose it over all the other cross platform messaging apps out there.
    04-17-13 07:10 PM
    Twitter and Whatsapp are 2 totally different platforms.
    Yeah, like saying Walmart has more active users than Ford... not too relevant.

Still, whatsapp is a social network of sorts, they could eventually branch into twitter like features if they wanted. The app is out there.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 07:24 PM
    I just downloaded it while reading this thread. But I'm wondering why they need to ask for access to the phones PIN and serial number.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 10:24 PM
    I only use whatsapp to talk to my friends who were once BlackBerry users. Sad!

But I really don't like using it, at least I can send pictures and see the damn emojis.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:23 PM
    Seriously! Did you miss the memo where blackberry has only 79 million users worldwide, yet apple sells more then this every quarter. Apparrently you never leave your local area and would not want to communicate with people internationally. However 200 million people have this need but since you don't its senseless. Did you work for RIM by chance?
    This type of post is what's wrong with this site nowadays. He politely asked a question and it's clear he's not trolling but looking for information. Not everyone on the planet knows what WhatsApp does. Can you do me a favour and leave?

To the OP, WhatsApp is great for people who don't have unlimited texting, and great for anyone who has to pay to send texts internationally. I use it all the time to text people overseas. Because of WhatsApp, I don't pay my carrier the extra $5/month for the bundle that includes unlimited overseas texting.
    04-17-13 11:32 PM
    I use it to communicate with my artist when he's touring overseas so that he doesn't have to use data abroad.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:36 PM
    Whatsapp doesn't give you read notifications, only that it's been delivered.

Posted via CB10
    This isn't true. When it is read, the message is denoted by two ticks.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 12:18 AM
    This isn't true. When it is read, the message is denoted by two ticks.

Posted via CB10
    Nope.
    WhatsApp "Bigger than Twitter!".  For those of you who "don't get it", regarding apps.-img_00000002.png

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 12:34 AM
    whatsapp is such a poorly coded app. I wonder how it got so big. personally, I only use it because 90% of my contacts use it. i'd like to see Skype overtake it
    How so? I have it, I prefer bbm but can't see what is wrong with whatsapp's coding myself

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 02:16 AM
    I can't seem to find where I said it was senseless. Perhaps you can enlighten me? I'm glad the app works for you. So many people are using it, I figured I would see if there were some features I haven't explored. I'm assuming from the info extracted from your flaming reply, that international texting isn't free?

Posted via CB10
    I use it mainly to send pictures as that is not free over sms

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 02:17 AM
    Well, all very interesting. I'm about to go on location in NZ until hell freezes over, might be worth taking along. Hopefully T-Mo (usa) will have wifi-calling on the Z10 by then.
    04-18-13 04:00 AM
    I have like 6 contacts on BBM, back in 08 i had close to 100. Everyone is on different platforms these days and Whatsapp is a great app for sure. Here's to hoping they update BB10 version of it, it has a very plain feel to it compared to Android

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 04:20 AM
    From this thread I now know what this app is. In my world, no one uses any of these messaging apps. I had my carrier block all text messages as i was being charged for unsolicited ads.

Email works great and I don't see the need for the messaging apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 04:35 AM
    In my world, no one uses any of these messaging apps. I had my carrier block all text messages as i was being charged for unsolicited ads.

Sigh...

The only word I can come up with for posts like this is bewildering. If I hadn't just read it, I wouldn't believe anyone capable of actually making a statement like this in 2013.
    raysgrumpy likes this.
    04-18-13 04:45 AM
    From this thread I now know what this app is. In my world, no one uses any of these messaging apps. I had my carrier block all text messages as i was being charged for unsolicited ads.

Posted via CB10
    It really depends in what someone needs at the end. I have half of my contacts on whatsapp. It's quicker like text.

I only email when I have to write paragraphs or work related. Just for a hi and hello I don't feel like clogging my inbox.

But at the end. Whatever works for you and you are comfortable.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 04:46 AM
    I use it to communicate with my artist when he's touring overseas so that he doesn't have to use data abroad.

Posted via CB10
    I'm a non-What's App guy. I have it downloaded, but cringe every time some app asks for my cell number. I've already had to ditch a few numbers because of companies (my friggin bank) selling my number to anyone and everyone on the block, even the new kids. So here are my questions:

Do folks that use this app get txt spammed often?

This next question is directed toward moyjoy mostly (or anyone that can answer it). I'm currently in Japan, live in America. I could see this being useful with the exception of one hang up. Maybe this is just an issue with AT&T, but if I want data, which I assume is what you need, you have to sell your soul to them for insanely small data packages. So, you're paying for it, one way or another. If this is wifi-based, then, I see no point; there's email, twitter, facebook, bbm, etc... So.. I'm confused. I guess I don't "get it"... or do I ?

Do tell...
    04-18-13 04:54 AM
    I can answer your question about getting text spammed. I have been using whatsapp for a year now. Never had anyone else beside the people and phone company text me. It would be one of the down sides if I did get text bombed.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 05:08 AM
    This discussion thread was mentioned in the opening post of a new thread I opened here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...vs-bbm-797295/
    04-18-13 03:36 PM
47 12