WhatsApp “Bigger Than Twitter” With Over 200M Monthly Active Users, 8B Inbound And 12B Outbound Messages Daily | TechCrunch

WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum was on stage today at the AllThingsD Dive Into Mobile conference in New York City, where he said that the app is now larger than Twitter by monthly active users. He wouldn’t say exactly how many the company had, just that it was north of 200 million users. (see the link for more; Courtesy of Tech Crunch...)
    MarsupilamiX and jdhooghe like this.
    04-16-13 03:58 PM
    Have it, have used it, still don't "get it". What can I do with WhatsApp that's different than regular sms or bbm? Don't get me wrong - not being a ****, serious question. I have a few contacts on it and their texts come through it. Other than it looking different I'm not sure what else to do with it.
    04-16-13 04:10 PM
    Bbm>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 04:12 PM
    All my friends & family are on What'sapp. I have one friend on bbm (not kidding)...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    szali3 likes this.
    04-16-13 04:12 PM
    Have it, have used it, still don't "get it". What can I do with WhatsApp that's different than regular sms or bbm? Don't get me wrong - not being a ****, serious question. I have a few contacts on it and their texts come through it. Other than it looking different I'm not sure what else to do with it.
    What'sapp is great for cross platform chat. You can't do that with bbm

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    M_Portiss likes this.
    04-16-13 04:13 PM
    Think out of the box. What if I want to text someone who lives in Asia? You think it'll be cheaper to use whatsapp? Do you follow now?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 04:13 PM
    Seriously! Did you miss the memo where blackberry has only 79 million users worldwide, yet apple sells more then this every quarter. Apparrently you never leave your local area and would not want to communicate with people internationally. However 200 million people have this need but since you don't its senseless. Did you work for RIM by chance?
    04-16-13 04:55 PM
    Well first of all, it saves a lot of money if you have friends or family around the world, mainly because it comes out if your data plan rather than using sms texting which doesn't use your data plan. Also you can send pics, videos and other files through it where with sms texting you will be charged for that. Also it's cross platform so for me it's brilliant being able to keep in touch with my 2 younger brothers, one who lives in Canada and the other who lives in Australia.

Posted via CB10
    turbodmac and pandapurple like this.
    04-16-13 05:11 PM
    Seriously! Did you miss the memo where blackberry has only 79 million users worldwide, yet apple sells more then this every quarter. Apparrently you never leave your local area and would not want to communicate with people internationally. However 200 million people have this need but since you don't its senseless. Did you work for RIM by chance?
    Relax FFS...he asked a simple question and instead of jumping down his throat, why don't you answer his question as to why whatsapp is so great without the need of being so condescending.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 05:13 PM
    What's app is a solid option for other platforms that don't have bbm.
    04-16-13 05:19 PM
    Have it never used it yet ever.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-16-13 05:19 PM
    Twitter and Whatsapp are 2 totally different platforms.
    04-16-13 05:22 PM
    The same reason bbm is used, whatsapp is used plus cross platform. Now Viber allows calls plus messaging on all platforms basically.
    04-16-13 05:23 PM
    IT is simply a cross-platform messaging system, that can be used over wifi, when there is no network signal.

Similar to BBM, but certainly not the same.
    04-16-13 05:24 PM
    I used to use it on my Iphone (game phone) to keep in touch with friends on Iphones. I an really excited that it is now available for the Z10, better and cheaper than texting.

Posted using my Z10.
    anon5814103 likes this.
    04-16-13 05:40 PM
    whatsapp is such a poorly coded app. I wonder how it got so big. personally, I only use it because 90% of my contacts use it. i'd like to see Skype overtake it
    04-16-13 05:53 PM
    whatsapp is such a poorly coded app. I wonder how it got so big. personally, I only use it because 90% of my contacts use it. i'd like to see Skype overtake it
    Exactly. It us actually a really Sh*tty app & I take great offense to it raping my address book & adding every temp address entry as a contact... & there being no way to remove your self from there system....its worse than FB in terms of privacy. But "Touch" (formerly PingChat?)...it works very slick!!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:07 PM
    Really to say you have used what's app but don't understand it is essentially a cross platform bbm is trolling at its best. It's great to love BlackBerry but really don't pretend to think 200 million people are wrong. This is exactly the thinking that got RIM/BB in the situation it is today. Stop listening to what people want and quickly your products are irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:38 PM
    Whatsapp doesn't give you read notifications, only that it's been delivered.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:43 PM
    Eh, I don't really cares who's larger. I make a lot more use of twitter than I do whatsapp

Posted from CB10 on my LE Zed10
    bluetroll likes this.
    04-16-13 06:48 PM
    Pretty amazing numbers. A recent Wall Street Journal article actually pointed to WhatsApp undermining the future revenue streams of the telcos. Pretty impressive that with this one tool, the revenue stream that the network operators essentially miss out on the highly profitable SMS revenues that they used to generate. Imagine what will happen when WhatsApp evolves to voice/video communications!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-16-13 06:50 PM
    People that don't care about or need a specific app don't need to "Get it ". You should send this to BlackBerry and what's app. Oh wait! They are working on it. Shouldn't we all be happy?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:51 PM
    Really to say you have used what's app but don't understand it is essentially a cross platform bbm is trolling at its best. It's great to love BlackBerry but really don't pretend to think 200 million people are wrong. This is exactly the thinking that got RIM/BB in the situation it is today. Stop listening to what people want and quickly your products are irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    Really? Trolling? It was a question. I have it. I have used it. I have a couple people who text me on it. I have unlimited text and 3 gb of data but only text locally so I wasn't aware that it cost extra to text internationally. I paid for it to support BlackBerry devs, but never really explored it. I try to help people who have questions but apparently asking one myself, even after stating it was a legit question is grounds for being a troll.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:15 AM
    I can't seem to find where I said it was senseless. Perhaps you can enlighten me? I'm glad the app works for you. So many people are using it, I figured I would see if there were some features I haven't explored. I'm assuming from the info extracted from your flaming reply, that international texting isn't free?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:24 AM
    Well first of all, it saves a lot of money if you have friends or family around the world, mainly because it comes out if your data plan rather than using sms texting which doesn't use your data plan. Also you can send pics, videos and other files through it where with sms texting you will be charged for that. Also it's cross platform so for me it's brilliant being able to keep in touch with my 2 younger brothers, one who lives in Canada and the other who lives in Australia.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info. All my messaging is local atm, but that will be handy for when I travel...

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-17-13 11:26 AM
47 12