Right, I think we need to do a wee bit of investigation because that is ridiculously excessive data usage if you've been on WiFi all day. So...

1. List the Apps you have installed so we can check them with everyone else (just incase its an App thats using cellular data whilst on WiFi. I know that apps like Spotify, O2 Priority Moments and Ubersocial all required a cellular connection even when on Wifi on the Bold 9900)
    2. Do you have Dropbox or Box enabled and is it synchronising?
    3. Is location services turned on? (not that I expect this to usemuch if any data!)
    4. Check which email folders you are synchronising over. Is it just the default Inbox and Sent Items or are you pulling over other folders?
    5. Although the emails you are receiving are just text, do any of them have any attachments at all?

Your recent charges on My O2 should show you a day by day blow of what data you have used since your last bill, it certainly shows for me when I follow the menu items in my previous post.
    I've now found the source of my problem but still don't know what it is. It says the source of my data is via
    mobile.O2.co.uk & it ate 425mb between midnight & 6am this morning when I wasn't evening using my phone...although that may just be the time they total it all up for billing purposes but again if I'm on wifi why is it going to mobile.O2.co.uk whatever that is. ? Any ideas?

Oh and I'm up to 987mb today & I've not used my phone all day as the battery actually died after 5 hrs & I was on site so it's getting beyond a joke.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 02:36 PM
    BB10 doesn't compress data like BB7 does. Data usage is about the same as Android or iOS. I use about 400 mb a month compared to about 140 with my old Bold 9900.
    LordCrankypants likes this.
    03-06-13 02:39 PM
    I do my downloading on wifi, I have the same 2 gig plan I had with my Iphone, no difference in data usage between the 2.

Posted from my Z10.
    Exactly. Because many of us were used to BIS data compression it seems a little shocking to us. But it is the same as any other platforms data usage now.

I used to use around 100 mb a month on my 9800 and now use around 600-700 mb a month.
    03-06-13 02:44 PM
    I'm 3/4 of the way through my billing cycle and I have used about 800MB out of my 1GB plan. I get a large number of emails (there were a couple of non-wifi app downloads in there as well, and some short trips using the GPS navigation) and am only on wifi at home when I am downloading. Seems reasonable data usage to me. Drop Box and Box syncing are set to wifi only.
    03-06-13 02:57 PM
    Ok have another update after actually speaking to someone at O2. He tells me it's apps like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc that are eating all the data
    He says I have to logout of these apps after I use them, I explained to him that the Z10 integrated these into its hub & i don't actually leave them open & running in the background. I only click them when I want to use them then minimize & hit the little cross to close the app. I only have Facebook, Twitter LinkedIn set to notify me when I get direct messages & not for every blinkin post people type.

I find it hard to believe this is the problem. I also explained that I use wifi but he said that if there's a weak spot in my house it will change to 3G & eat the data. I have full signal & have never seen my icon change from wifi bars to 3G H+ etc.

So basically he's saying I have to login & logout every time I want to use any app. He also said that if I want to ensure it only goes via wifi is to switch off my carrier network & it won't effect my data allowance.

He says he has this query all the time with iPhone users but I'm not sure that's the same. Do you believe Facebook etc is still running in the background even if the app is closed?

I also asked that if my network data was switched off would I still receive text messages & calls. He said I would...but I just tried to call my mobile from my house phone & it went to voice mail rather than ringing so that's wrong information calls don't work via wifi only.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 03:13 PM
    This sounds a bit nonsensical.
    The Z10 could be checking if there is a message periodically which would drive up usage - however the app is definitely not running when it is turned off.

I cannot believe that a quick query "Any new Messages" will use a significant amount of data. Kb per query at most.
    It would also be most strange if you are expects to sign out all the time - it defeats the purpose of saving your info and having an application for it in the first place.

And finally, I cannot see how a normal house can have a "Weak Spot" with w-fi. An office when they overdo it or have too few routers, maybe, at home no. Even one bar on wi-fi is quite strong.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 03:29 PM
    Go to system settings --> network connections --> mobile network and turn "Data Services" to off leaving the data Mobile network button to on.

Now no carrier data but still you should get the phone call connection and sms working fine.

Also your wifi will work without jumping into carrier data consumption.

The fact that fb and am are on direct message notifications means the sync to check every now and then but it seems too much to waste that amount of data on those alone. I have pb, linked in and tweeter + 2 gmail and 1 pop account and my worse day with lots of work mails with attachments) was 106mb...

Try the data off thing and just use wifi at home. I use it like that at home and in the office and it works just fine for me

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 03-07-13 at 05:08 AM.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-06-13 09:42 PM
    The FB app on my 9810 has a setting where you can choose how often to update the feed in the background. I have mine set to Never. I still get notifications, but it only refreshes the news feed when I ooen the app. If it is like that on the Z10, there is no need to keep it running as active frame.
    03-06-13 09:58 PM
    Go to system settings --> network connections --> mobile network and turn "Data Services" to off leaving the data network button to on.

Now no carrier data but still you should get the phone call connection and sms working fine.

Also your wifi will work without jumping into carrier data consumption.

The fact that fb and am are on direct message notifications means the sync to check every now and then but it seems too much to waste that amount of data on those alone. I have pb, linked in and tweeter + 2 gmail and 1 pop account and my worse day with lots of work mails with attachments) was 106mb...

Try the data off thing and just use wifi at home. I use it like that at home and in the office and it works just fine for me

Posted via CB10
    When i turn off the data services...my BBM stops working!!
    03-07-13 12:18 AM
    I meant leave "Mobile Network to on" (corrected in the original post) srry.
    NOOO
    Now BBM can be used over wi fi, so, no need to worry!!! I have used mine with data off and wifi on and it worked! try it again please!!
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 03-07-13 at 05:09 AM.
    03-07-13 04:41 AM
    I've now found the source of my problem but still don't know what it is. It says the source of my data is via
    mobile.O2.co.uk & it ate 425mb between midnight & 6am this morning when I wasn't evening using my phone...although that may just be the time they total it all up for billing purposes but again if I'm on wifi why is it going to mobile.O2.co.uk whatever that is. ? Any ideas?

Oh and I'm up to 987mb today & I've not used my phone all day as the battery actually died after 5 hrs & I was on site so it's getting beyond a joke.

Posted via CB10
    Hello you

Mobile.o2.uk is simply the O2 network name, look in your APN settings and you will see it there.

I have read of this high data use several times , there is a thread on BlackBerry's own forum. Some think it is caused by exchange 2003 and some think it is collection of data by BlackBerry. In security settings >diagnostics you can turn data collection off.

Some seem to have fixed this issue by wiping the device and restoring. Perhaps you could even try inserting a Vodafone sim (can unlock the phone free via O2) and getting the latest update?

I seriously doubt it is Facebook or twitter causing it.

I haven't seen such large amounts of data use at all on my Z10 which is also on O2. Something clearly isn't right with yours.

Hope you get it sorted.
    03-07-13 07:28 AM
    Ive used 100 mb since my billing cycle started on March 1st. I'm usually home and on wifi but when I go out I use foursquare, BBM, Facebook and sometimes web browesr or TuneIn while I'm driving. I try not to stream much youtube or anything crazy. Dropbox and Box are set to only use WiFi and I don't make many BBM video or voice calls off of WiFi either. I only have 2 email accounts syncing every 15 minutes + twitter fb and linkedin
    03-07-13 08:31 AM
    I received a text this afternoon from O2 saying I'd used all my data! Had a check on their website and I wasn't even half way through my allowance. I phoned and they apologised. Always best to check as I was about to increase my data allowance.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 09:36 AM
    Data has been good for me. I'm in Canada, and I browse quite frequently off wifi, but no big video or music streaming. I have lte disabled, and run through a little bit less than a gig a month
    03-07-13 10:01 AM
    Hello you

Mobile.o2.uk is simply the O2 network name, look in your APN settings and you will see it there.

I have read of this high data use several times , there is a thread on BlackBerry's own forum. Some think it is caused by exchange 2003 and some think it is collection of data by BlackBerry. In security settings >diagnostics you can turn data collection off.

Some seem to have fixed this issue by wiping the device and restoring. Perhaps you could even try inserting a Vodafone sim (can unlock the phone free via O2) and getting the latest update.
    EDIT I see the O2 update is now available

I seriously doubt it is Facebook or twitter causing it.

I haven't seen such large amounts of data use at all on my Z10 which is also on O2. Something clearly isn't right with yours.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Hey there, how you doing. Thanks for info, have switched of diagnostic collection at moment. May wipe phone at weekend & start from scratch again. Really wish O2 would hurry up with update rather than having to go down unlocking route etc.

Going to delete my apps & load them back one by one to see if it's an app that's eating data but so far I can't find any that aren't set to wifi only sync. Will also check my various email accounts also.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 04:10 PM
    I've been looking at Fido's most recent plans to hold me over until a decent 6gig plan comes around but this thread makes me nervous. Mostly because I'll be coming off an unlimted plan from Bell where I've never really used wifi at all and tether quite often.

I should also note I'm coming from a Pre3, is there a way to check previous months data useage for Bell? and will 2GB be enough for decent browsing, some PDF downloads, quite a lot of email, a little bit of tethering and some other stuff as well? I can see me limiting apps and dropbox stuff to wifi easily but at the same time I dont really want to feel limited in regards to surfing the web and email..
    03-07-13 04:48 PM
    Hey there, how you doing. Thanks for info, have switched of diagnostic collection at moment. May wipe phone at weekend & start from scratch again. Really wish O2 would hurry up with update rather than having to go down unlocking route etc.

Going to delete my apps & load them back one by one to see if it's an app that's eating data but so far I can't find any that aren't set to wifi only sync. Will also check my various email accounts also.

Posted via CB10
    If you go to my o2 and select view my bill then you'll get an option to view mist recent bill in PDF format. This gives you a detailed breakdown of all your use. Data use will run to several pages as all dates and times will be listed. You will have to wait for your next bill though for detailed breakdown on recent use.

Interestingly,do you remember all the hoo ha about Phantom data use on I phones which mainly affected o2 and AT&T? This Phantom usage often occurred in the wee small hours. If you Google it you will find lots of info.

It's only natural to assume something on your phone is causing it which could well be the case but what if it's not? Print off and keep these data breakdown docs just in case.

BTW thanks to whomever edited my previous post with news of the O2 update for the Z10.
    03-08-13 05:32 AM
    Wow! As much data as I use now, I'm getting scared to leave Sprint and my unlimited data. I average 2.5 gb a month on their slow azz 3G network. That's tethering my Playbook for Web surfing and business matters daily. But I don't even watch as many video downloads as I'd like to because of the crappy streaming. And that's also being compressed data as I'm using a 9670 running OS 6. So I can only amagine what obscene amount of data I'd go through on a new BB10 device with no compression.

It might be in my financial favor to wait it out with Sprint till they have their 4G LTE up and running in my area later this summer. I've already been told it will be done by July. And I do prefer the Q10. So all things wanted might just align for me.
    03-08-13 06:07 AM
    I meant leave "Mobile Network to on" (corrected in the original post) srry.
    NOOO
    Now BBM can be used over wi fi, so, no need to worry!!! I have used mine with data off and wifi on and it worked! try it again please!!
    My BBM does NOT work over wifi only
    03-08-13 12:42 PM
    Sorry to hear! I do not know if they did something with the updates because it actually should, mine does and also read the same in the forums for other people. Maybe check with ppl here that are with the same carrier as you and have the same os ver?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 01:16 PM
    If you go to my o2 and select view my bill then you'll get an option to view mist recent bill in PDF format. This gives you a detailed breakdown of all your use. Data use will run to several pages as all dates and times will be listed. You will have to wait for your next bill though for detailed breakdown on recent use.

Interestingly,do you remember all the hoo ha about Phantom data use on I phones which mainly affected o2 and AT&T? This Phantom usage often occurred in the wee small hours. If you Google it you will find lots of info.

It's only natural to assume something on your phone is causing it which could well be the case but what if it's not? Print off and keep these data breakdown docs just in case.

BTW thanks to whomever edited my previous post with news of the O2 update for the Z10.
    Very interesting indeed the vast majority of my data usage is 00.00.00 midnight & a few at 4am not using my phone during these hours so will have to investigate more...is it a ploy to get us to my more data as something is eating data that we don't know about?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 02:04 PM
    Finally found how to measure data usage with EE 4GEE, after a few paranoid days. Used 60mb in a week - phew! My 1gig limit is safe as yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 08:15 AM
    when I was with 02 I was getting a text every month from them saying my data allowance was up and I was on 1GB per month and used wifi probably 80% of the time. I've since switched to EE with the same 1GB and had no data usage messages
    03-09-13 08:19 AM
    Hello, I have an idea. Try : system settings >network connection >wi-fi>saved>reorder and put wi-fi up to blackberry connection. I hope its work. Sorry for my language I'm French

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 08:26 AM
    How did you check your usage on EE?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 08:31 AM
134 ... 23456