The problem with turning off the data and let it only run on wifi is that you can't get any calls either.
    Your right, this may not be a good solution for the OP but it works great for a teenager who refuses to talk on her phone and rather text anyway.
    03-05-13 06:57 PM
    Feb. 15th to today (Mar. 5th), so about 2 1/2 weeks I'm at 2.5GB used out of a 6GB plan. I originally had a 3GB plan but I upped it because I knew this would happen. I am on wi-fi at home and still use a lot, but I have been downloading apps like crazy and customizing my Z10 as much as I can with photos, etc, so it seems legit to me. I do make sure to turn off unnecessary settings so it doesn't have to sync all the time with random stuff (BOX, etc). Pretty happy with the data usage because I'm using it a LOT and I don't think I'm going to go over my limit and I won't be using it this much as time goes on, so 6GB is plenty. This is how all smartphones are now, so complaining about no BIS is just ridiculous.
    03-05-13 10:23 PM
    I think the reason is that the Z10 seems to auto download attachments on email accounts, even if you don't open the email. As soon as you leave wifi coverage and an email comes in you get hit with all that data. If you get a lot of emails per day and loose wifi you will be hit with lots of data. I monitor my usage through the day from my carrier's website and I see most of my data use driving to and from work. About 25-50 mb a day. I was using about 200 mb a month on my old 9900 now I'm going to be using 10x that easy. I hope Blackberry looks into this issue soon.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-05-13 10:48 PM
    For those that say if Data is turned off, I don't understand. My battery was awful, I read lots on here to do this and do that and one of the suggestions was to turn Data off.

So I did this though still not sure what I was turning off but the thing is, I'm still getting calls even though it's off. Are you meaning what I think you're meaning

Settings:
    Network Connections:
    Mobile Network:
    Data Services: OFF

How come I still get calls even though I have this turned off?
    03-06-13 03:30 AM
    I used 850MB in the first month.

I have it on wifi while at home. Not as bad as I expected at all!
    03-06-13 03:35 AM
    For those that say if Data is turned off, I don't understand. My battery was awful, I read lots on here to do this and do that and one of the suggestions was to turn Data off.

So I did this though still not sure what I was turning off but the thing is, I'm still getting calls even though it's off. Are you meaning what I think you're meaning

Settings:
    Network Connections:
    Mobile Network:
    Data Services: OFF

How come I still get calls even though I have this turned off?
    You are getting calls becoz your "Mobile Network" is ON!
    03-06-13 03:42 AM
    100% agree.

And I actually like how Blackberry un-cluttered the homescreen menu/connections by taking out seldom changed things like network connection and NFC connection, and moving them to a deeper seperate connection menu.

On my 9900 I would often turn on NFC when I meant to hit bluetooth, etc. Does not happen anymore
    03-06-13 03:59 AM
    How do you check data usage on the Z10?

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 04:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Your carrier will tell you.
    03-06-13 04:32 AM
    Ok thanks for your reply, I don't understand any of this stuff but come in here ever day/night and just read, read and more read. I have just went through some of my settings and would like to show what I have changed over the last few weeks. My battery is much better and I have not been charged for extra Data on anything but I'm still not sure what is what. These are my settings:

Network Connections

Mobile Network
    Mobile network = on
    Data service = off
    Data services while roaming = off (greyed out)
    Network mode = 3g & 2g
    Network selection mode = automatic
    O2-UK
    g

Wi-Fi
    Wi-Fi = on (My Home Network Name) = connected

Bluetooth = off

NFC= off

Mobile Hotspot= not connected

Internet Tethering= off

VPN= not connected

Notifications
    Mode=normal
    Sound=on
    Vibrate=off
    LED=on

Notifications/Alerts
    Phone
    Sound=on
    Vibrate=off
    Led=on
    Vibrate=off
    Led=on
    Text
    Sound=on
    Vibrate=off
    Led=on
    Reminders
    Sound=on
    Vibrate=off
    Led=on

BBM Video, BBM, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Foursquare (all of these are set to OFF)

Other Applications

Browser
    Sound=on
    Vibrate=off
    Led=on

BlackBerry World, Games, Maps, Newsstand, Print To Go (all of these are set to OFF)

Accounts

1 AOL email
    Use push if supported=off
    Sync Interval=15minutes

Edit folder settings
    Sync All Email Folders=on
    11 Folders
    (all the above have tick in blue box)

1 Hotmail email
    Sync Email=on

Edit Folder Settings

1st Folder=tick (blue box)
    2nd Folder=tick (grey box)
    3rd Folder=tick (grey box)
    4th Folder=tick (blue box)
    5th Folder (Outbox)= (empty grey box)
    6th Folder=tick (blue box)
    7th Folder=tick (grey box)
    8th Folder=tick (blue box)
    9th Folder (Trash)=(empty grey box)

Sync Contacts=off
    Sync Calendar=off
    Sync Tasks=off
    Use VPN=off
    Advanced
    Use SSL=on
    Use VPN=off
    Push=off
    Sync Interval=15 Minutes)
    Sync Timeframe=30Days

Display
    Brightness (about 50%)
    Screen Lock Timeout=30seconds
    Allow Gestures when Locked=on
    HDMI Audio=on

Advanced
    Retail Display Mode=OFF

Location Services
    Location Services=off
    Traffic Data Collection=off
    Location-based Adverts=off

At home I have downloaded some films, music videos and pictures to my laptop, then put them onto my Z10 using the \\Z10 to transfer. I’m thinking I won’t be using up Data as all this is through my Wi-Fi at home.

I realize that by using the above settings I may be stopping some uses of the phone but until I know what is what, I think I’ll take baby steps. I don’t want to have to pay for large Data accounts.
    03-06-13 04:36 AM
    Lol, so if I'd gone out away from my router I wouldn't have been able to receive calls or text....I'm so blinking dumb...Ok so when I go out I must put Data back on but is it ok to put it off again when I'm home?

I've just read two of the above posts again telling me I get calls because my mobile network is on. I didn't mean the Mobile Network was turned off, just the Data thing but posters above your posts said calls were not available if Data was turned off but I still get them. Now I'm not sure I would get them if I was away from my router with it still switched off. Could you guys let me know please.
    03-06-13 04:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    rogers has an app if you are on them
    03-06-13 04:45 AM
    I will get my Z10 next Monday, but why should I be worried since it costs $2 for unlimited data in Vietnam

Of course the speed is limited at 7.2 mbps .
    03-06-13 05:08 AM
    I'm doing ok out of my data I used maybe 500mb since launch and I use my phone all the time and don't have wifi, but I guess I haven't been streaming music either and its no where near as data hungry as my note 2.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 05:12 AM
    Ok thanks for your reply, I don't understand any of this stuff but come in here ever day/night and just read, read and more read. I have just went through some of my settings and would like to show what I have changed over the last few weeks. My battery is much better and I have not been charged for extra Data on anything but I'm still not sure what is what. These are my settings:

Network Connections

Mobile Network
    Mobile network = on
    Data service = off
    Data services while roaming = off (greyed out)
    Network mode = 3g & 2g
    Network selection mode = automatic
    O2-UK
    g

Wi-Fi
    Wi-Fi = on (My Home Network Name) = connected

Bluetooth = off

NFC= off

Mobile Hotspot= not connected

Internet Tethering= off

VPN= not connected

Notifications
    Mode=normal
    Sound=on
    Vibrate=off
    LED=on

Notifications/Alerts
    Phone
    Sound=on
    Vibrate=off
    Led=on
    Vibrate=off
    Led=on
    Text
    Sound=on
    Vibrate=off
    Led=on
    Reminders
    Sound=on
    Vibrate=off
    Led=on

BBM Video, BBM, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Foursquare (all of these are set to OFF)

Other Applications

Browser
    Sound=on
    Vibrate=off
    Led=on

BlackBerry World, Games, Maps, Newsstand, Print To Go (all of these are set to OFF)

Accounts

1 AOL email
    Use push if supported=off
    Sync Interval=15minutes

Edit folder settings
    11 Folders
    (all the above have tick in blue box)

1 Hotmail email
    Sync Email=on

Edit Folder Settings

1st Folder=tick (blue box)
    2nd Folder=tick (grey box)
    3rd Folder=tick (grey box)
    4th Folder=tick (blue box)
    5th Folder (Outbox)= (empty grey box)
    6th Folder=tick (blue box)
    7th Folder=tick (grey box)
    8th Folder=tick (blue box)
    9th Folder (Trash)=(empty grey box)

Sync Contacts=off
    Sync Calendar=off
    Sync Tasks=off
    Use VPN=off
    Advanced
    Use SSL=on
    Use VPN=off
    Push=off
    Sync Interval=15 Minutes)
    Sync Timeframe=30Days

Display
    Brightness (about 50%)
    Screen Lock Timeout=30seconds
    Allow Gestures when Locked=on
    HDMI Audio=on

Advanced
    Retail Display Mode=OFF

Location Services
    Location Services=off
    Traffic Data Collection=off
    Location-based Adverts=off

At home I have downloaded some films, music videos and pictures to my laptop, then put them onto my Z10 using the \\Z10 to transfer. I’m thinking I won’t be using up Data as all this is through my Wi-Fi at home.

I realize that by using the above settings I may be stopping some uses of the phone but until I know what is what, I think I’ll take baby steps. I don’t want to have to pay for large Data accounts.
    ...yikes... useless information overload...

Phone calls & text messages just need the "mobile connection" and do not require an explicit data connection.
    Any other communication channel requires a data connection. (MMS, Email, BBM, Browser, etc.)

Now technically when Wi-Fi is on, the phone should use Wi-Fi instead of the mobile data connection anyway so there should be no need to turn off data at home.
    Also, if you are on a contract your data generally just gets throttled when you exceed you allowance - which means everything takes longer, but it is still fine for emails which are tiny.
    wasabiGT likes this.
    03-06-13 05:28 AM
    Sorry, I'm used to getting told off for not giving enough information so just thought I'd put these settings I've changed over the last few weeks in case anyone noticed I'd maybe be creating problems for myself. I've never had a smart mobile before so it is all very new to me. I almost broke the screen when I received my first call, there's me banging on the screen like a mad woman wondering why it wouldn't answer....before noticing the down arrow....lol

I am pay as you go and do not have the new update yet which seems to fix folks battery problem so since changing some of these setting at least my battery is better though I couldn't tell you which made the difference.
    03-06-13 05:36 AM
    Sorry, I'm used to getting told off for not giving enough information so just thought I'd put these settings I've changed over the last few weeks in case anyone noticed I'd maybe be creating problems for myself. I've never had a smart mobile before so it is all very new to me. I almost broke the screen when I received my first call, there's me banging on the screen like a mad woman wondering why it wouldn't answer....before noticing the down arrow....lol

I am pay as you go and do not have the new update yet which seems to fix folks battery problem so since changing some of these setting at least my battery is better though I couldn't tell you which made the difference.
    Pay as you Go with a smartphone - OK, well, I did that on a BlackBerry Pearl

Regarding battery life: I am sure that by switching off data you save a lot of energy, apparently 3G is rather power intensive. (more so than Wi-Fi)
    Without data you obviously also do not get emails which again will save energy.
    03-06-13 05:54 AM
    I went into recent charges & what I've used UK & browse and download & it says 0.00 but I take it as what I've been billed for so it would be 0.00 as I get 2GB before they charge anything. Gone back into my allowances & it now says I've used 395MB & I've been on wifi all day & not downloaded a single thing or opened an app or weather or anything. Just don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    Right, I think we need to do a wee bit of investigation because that is ridiculously excessive data usage if you've been on WiFi all day. So...

1. List the Apps you have installed so we can check them with everyone else (just incase its an App thats using cellular data whilst on WiFi. I know that apps like Spotify, O2 Priority Moments and Ubersocial all required a cellular connection even when on Wifi on the Bold 9900)
    2. Do you have Dropbox or Box enabled and is it synchronising?
    3. Is location services turned on? (not that I expect this to usemuch if any data!)
    4. Check which email folders you are synchronising over. Is it just the default Inbox and Sent Items or are you pulling over other folders?
    5. Although the emails you are receiving are just text, do any of them have any attachments at all?

Your recent charges on My O2 should show you a day by day blow of what data you have used since your last bill, it certainly shows for me when I follow the menu items in my previous post.
    CGSCOT likes this.
    03-06-13 06:06 AM
    Pay as you Go with a smartphone - OK, well, I did that on a BlackBerry Pearl

Regarding battery life: I am sure that by switching off data you save a lot of energy, apparently 3G is rather power intensive. (more so than Wi-Fi)
    Without data you obviously also do not get emails which again will save energy.
    But I do get emails and texts and calls and get on the Internet too This is why I wrote in this thread in the first place as someone wrote if Data was turned off you could not receive calls. I checked again and I am sure I have Data Services turned off.
    03-06-13 10:05 AM
    Text messages and calls do not use a data connection. Email do.

I suppose there is a language problem here - technically everything is data. However "data" on a phone refers to services that use "internet data" which is measured in MB. This excludes phone services and SMS which do not use this type of data.
    With data off you cannot access the web via the browser.
    Acidwire likes this.
    03-06-13 01:20 PM
    I'm not sure what the issue is with a lot of your data plans, but I'm on the last day of mine before it cycles back to zero, and I'm sitting at 712mb used for the month. Never on WiFi, emails, BBM and browsing on a daily basis as well as videos and picture downloads, and occasionally a new app or two. Again, note that I do not connect phone to WiFi.

I'm not sure where the issue lies with your data plans, but I doubt it's the phone. Perhaps it is something for you to take up with your service provider.

I am on a 6GB plan with Rogers.

JB

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 01:52 PM
    The problem with turning off the data and let it only run on wifi is that you can't get any calls either.
    I mostly use data off and only network on (I only open data when I need to) and I always get my calls. This should only be affected if you use a voip service no? <-- (edit: rhetorical question ).

A thing I have not tried and am not sure about is if you have an IMAP account set up, this maybe uses more data than non IMAP accounts ? could that be like this and affect data consumption?

I know I used about 150mb the first day (I maximum had 600mb/month on my Torch with BIS) so I cut down the data by switching off and only using when necessary. I should know more from about next month that data monitor apps should start being available from the providers for bb10 (not launched in Greece yet).
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 03-06-13 at 02:39 PM.
    03-06-13 02:24 PM
    I will get my Z10 next Monday, but why should I be worried since it costs $2 for unlimited data in Vietnam

Of course the speed is limited at 7.2 mbps .
    Bring your deal over to Greece now (I ll take it with even lower speeds no problem... ) , now this is how you can really enjoy a smartphone... with REAL UNLIMITED data plans!
    03-06-13 02:28 PM
    are there any z10 data usage monitoring apps or ones you can sideload?

yes data is definitely unrelated to sms and calls otherwise you wouldnt see packages advertising minutes and calls seperately to data minutes and you wouldnt see text and call only plans
    03-06-13 02:30 PM
    I think the reason is that the Z10 seems to auto download attachments on email accounts, even if you don't open the email. As soon as you leave wifi coverage and an email comes in you get hit with all that data. If you get a lot of emails per day and loose wifi you will be hit with lots of data. I monitor my usage through the day from my carrier's website and I see most of my data use driving to and from work. About 25-50 mb a day. I was using about 200 mb a month on my old 9900 now I'm going to be using 10x that easy. I hope Blackberry looks into this issue soon.
    I have the same problem. Lots of POP email with auto downloads is a disaster... They are looking into this according Michael Clewley (look tweeter screenshot below).
    I am 100% with you on this one, huge issue!

PS: here a relevant thread. If I hear any relevant news I ll post here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hments-774065/
    Attached Thumbnails What's your Data usage like?-screen-shot-2013-03-06-10.34.22-.-..png  
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 03-06-13 at 02:53 PM.
    03-06-13 02:35 PM
134 12345 ...