Hi, I bought this phone (bb Z10) in 2013 for my dad. He was using Whatsapp and Skype to communicate with us, his children. But neither work anymore.

Googling reveals that Whatsapp is gone forever. Skype seems to have gone the same route.

I realize that BB Z10 may have a million other cool features, but without Whatsapp and Skype it is useless to my dad.

So, what can be done, besides throwing away the phone and replacing it with another device?

Is there an alternative Android ROM that can be flushed to this device? Anything?

Thank you.
    07-03-17 12:20 PM
    Your dad's Z10 will not be able to keep up with current phones. If the apps you need are not working anymore, the best solution is to buy a newer phone for him.

The fact that you did not find a solution using Google should tell you that unfortunately there is no way to update your Z10....

But flushing...... yikes. Give it a proper burial, at least.
    07-03-17 01:52 PM
    Look online for a DTEK50/60 which is as similar to BB10 as you're going to get..
    07-03-17 01:56 PM
    He was using Whatsapp and Skype to communicate with us, his children. But neither work anymore.
    Are you sure about that? WhatsApp just announced the BB10 app would be ok til Dec 31/2017 and an android version of Skype (7.46.0.596) still works fine on BB10. I don't use either, but I have seen threads here on CB regarding both. Also there is a thread here devoted to the android version of WhatsApp and how to get media sharing functional.
    07-03-17 02:03 PM
    App support for BB10 will only get worse, the browser can't move fast enough to keep up with the Internet at large, and you can't install Android on any BB10 device. Consider a different phone.
    07-03-17 02:27 PM
    Hi, I bought this phone (bb Z10) in 2013 for my dad. He was using Whatsapp and Skype to communicate with us, his children. But neither work anymore.

Googling reveals that Whatsapp is gone forever. Skype seems to have gone the same route.

I realize that BB Z10 may have a million other cool features, but without Whatsapp and Skype it is useless to my dad.

So, what can be done, besides throwing away the phone and replacing it with another device?

Is there an alternative Android ROM that can be flushed to this device? Anything?

Thank you.
    WhatsApp from BlackBerry World works fine and is supported till 31st Dec 2017, Skype from Amazon Appstore works fine and is supported for the foreseeable future (having just survived Microsoft's cull).

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 06:53 PM
    WhatsApp from BlackBerry World works fine and is supported till 31st Dec 2017, Skype from Amazon Appstore works fine and is supported for the foreseeable future (having just survived Microsoft's cull).

Posted via CB10
    For the uses that OP has described, recommending to stay on BB10 isn't right/proper/correct..

Inexpensive or mid-priced Android, BB or not, is best for this situation because of the limited need...
    07-04-17 07:07 PM
    Ditto, both apps run on my parents' device, a Z30 and a Classic, as well as my gf's Q10. All of them use the native WhatsApp (at least until December 31) from BlackBerry World and Skype from Amazon App Store and/or Google Play Store (perhaps a bit laggy, but working).

Op: My secondary device, a Passport has both apps running as well, so the first step would be to check your phone has the most up to date OS version, 10.3.3 and then start from there (I believe only the Z10 STL100-1 is the only model not able to load this OS).

There are also workarounds for installing the Android version of WhatsApp.

Nonetheless, as others have mentioned, the app gap issue on BB10 will eventually get worse. While you can get the two apps you mention running, they might eventually no longer work (native WhatsApp supposedly will stop working by the end of this year, but this deadline has already been pushed forward twice).

So eventually, I'd also recommend moving to a BlackBerry Android device, unless you can do without these apps. However, I'd recognise that the BB10 Hub and email handling is still, for me, the best.
    07-04-17 07:07 PM
    Ditto, both apps run on my parents' device, a Z30 and a Classic, as well as my gf's Q10. All of them use the native WhatsApp (at least until December 31) from BlackBerry World and Skype from Amazon App Store and/or Google Play Store (perhaps a bit laggy, but working).

Op: My secondary device, a Passport has both apps running as well, so the first step would be to check your phone has the most up to date OS version, 10.3.3 and then start from there (I believe only the Z10 STL100-1 is the only model not able to load this OS).

There are also workarounds for installing the Android version of WhatsApp.

Nonetheless, as others have mentioned, the app gap issue on BB10 will eventually get worse. While you can get the two apps you mention running, they might eventually no longer work (native WhatsApp supposedly will stop working by the end of this year, but this deadline has already been pushed forward twice).

So eventually, I'd also recommend moving to a BlackBerry Android device, unless you can do without these apps. However, I'd recognise that the BB10 Hub and email handling is still, for me, the best.
    Problem is that OP and more importantly OP parent may not be as technologically savvy as many on here still using BB10. This is about doing what's best for a family to keep in touch. They may as well quit delaying the inevitable for their parent.
    07-04-17 07:14 PM
    Problem is that OP and more importantly OP parent may not be as technologically savvy as many on here still using BB10. This is about doing what's best for a family to keep in touch. They may as well quit delaying the inevitable for their parent.
    Which is why I also recommended eventually moving to a BlackBerry Android device (if having a "BlackBerry" is a must) or many other devices of other brands...

I only wanted to point out that both apps can still be used on BB10. If OP needs an immediate solution or workaround for his Z10, he can find them on these forums, at least until he gets another device.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-04-17 07:20 PM
    For the uses that OP has described, recommending to stay on BB10 isn't right/proper/correct..

Inexpensive or mid-priced Android, BB or not, is best for this situation because of the limited need...
    The OP has a BlackBerry 10 phone, the apps his dad requires currently work and will do for at least another 6 months. Why would I recommend him to spend money on a device he does not need, OP is under the assumption they do not work and are not supported.

I do not believe it's right, proper or correct to recommend a person spend money on a device they do not require.

This is not a discussion as to whether the OP should buy a BlackBerry 10 device.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 07:48 PM
    Which is why I also recommended eventually moving to a BlackBerry Android device (if having a "BlackBerry" is a must) or many other devices of other brands...

I only wanted to point out that both apps can still be used on BB10. If OP needs an immediate solution or workaround for his Z10, he can find them on these forums, at least until he gets another device.
    Sorry JG, not really at you specifically. I love debating BB10 and BBAndroid, however this is about someone's (most likely elderly) parent. I didn't mean to reply to you specifically but a general response...
    07-04-17 08:01 PM
    The OP has a BlackBerry 10 phone, the apps his dad requires currently work and will do for at least another 6 months. Why would I recommend him to spend money on a device he does not need, OP is under the assumption they do not work and are not supported.

I do not believe it's right, proper or correct to recommend a person spend money on a device they do not require.

This is not a discussion as to whether the OP should buy a BlackBerry 10 device.

Posted via CB10
    Their opening statement is two required apps no longer function and they'd possibly like to install Android.

They're going to be spending the money sooner or later as six months is nothing after owning a phone about 4 years. At least right now, there may be some less expensive solutions like DTEK50 if BBAndroid is easier for the person to adjust to compared to regular Android.

For this person, unlike you or me, BB10 has become EOL....
    07-04-17 08:05 PM
    Sorry JG, not really at you specifically. I love debating BB10 and BBAndroid, however this is about someone's (most likely elderly) parent. I didn't mean to reply to you specifically but a general response...
    No problem at all mate, as I have a BB10 and a BlackBerry Android, I just like to help out as much as possible.

I can understand the frustration of the BB10 app gap situation, some things can be solved with workarounds, but others not.

I love BB10. To this day, my Passport is generally a better device than my PRIV, but apps are the final balancing factor and so I recognise that BB10 is no longer a viable option.
    07-04-17 08:09 PM
    Their opening statement is two required apps no longer function and they'd possibly like to install Android.
    Please read again, then read my reply reassuring the OP that his Googling did not yield the accurate facts and thus I found it irrelevant to discuss 'installing Android' as a workaround.

They're going to be spending the money sooner or later as six months is nothing after owning a phone about 4 years. At least right now, there may be some less expensive solutions like DTEK50 if BBAndroid is easier for the person to adjust to compared to regular Android.

For this person, unlike you or me, BB10 has become EOL....
    Although not impossible it is unlikely that the DTEK50, DTEK60 or other budget range / mid-range devices will be more expensive in six months time, more than likely they will be cheaper.

I feel that I best serve the OP by giving him the facts of the current situation and then it's up to him to make a decision as to whether he needs a new device.

WhatsApp and Skype are expected to be supported through to the end of 2017, no workarounds should be required.

Edit: What I suspect is that the OP's father needs to update WhatsApp in BlackBerry World to extend the support and may not have the latest Skype from the Amazon Appstore (updated in April 2017).

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 09:30 PM
    My device has BB 10 OS 10.3.3.1463
    The system claims it is the most recent version of the OS.

Whatsapp:
    I uninstalled it and decided to reinstall from scratch again. The BB world contains version 2.17.1.2. When I open it the first time it asks for the phone number - great. I do it and press confirm.The next screen says that unfortunately the version is old and must be upgraded. There is even a button to upgrade! Clicking it brings me back to BB world, which does not have any newer version. If needed, I can attach screen snapshots. What is next?

There is no Skype on BB world. Maybe it has a different name now? I do not know. Again I can attach the screens. Same question - what is next?

Thank you.
    07-05-17 08:19 AM

Whatsapp:
    I uninstalled it and decided to reinstall from scratch again. The BB world contains version 2.17.1.2. When I open it the first time it asks for the phone number - great. I do it and press confirm.The next screen says that unfortunately the version is old and must be upgraded. There is even a button to upgrade! Clicking it brings me back to BB world, which does not have any newer version. If needed, I can attach screen snapshots. What is next?

There is no Skype on BB world. Maybe it has a different name now? I do not know. Again I can attach the screens. Same question - what is next?

Thank you.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1114116
    Read this and download the skype from Conite's link, after install restart your phone

Posted via CB10
    07-05-17 08:40 AM

Whatsapp:

Thank you.
    I faced the same WhatsApp issue a few weeks ago on my Passport, on this thread I've described how to solve it: /blackberry-10-apps-f274/bb10-users-native-whatsapp-app-beware-if-you-switch-between-multiple-devices-1112738/

Regarding Skype, just open the Amazon App store which comes preinstalled on BB10 devices, search for it manually and install. Otherwise, using the apk from the thread provided above or from a reliable source (apkmirror, for instance) will do the trick. Check also this related post: /blackberry-passport-f434/bb10-skype-1113209/

Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by JG_Agustin; 07-05-17 at 02:05 PM.
    07-05-17 10:41 AM
    Thank you all for the replies. I understand now that I will have to buy a new mobile phone. I do not feel any sentiments towards BlackBerry. In fact, I kind of feel screwed by them, so I doubt it would be a BB Android phone. But, I will see when it comes to the actual buying.

Thanks all, again.
    07-07-17 07:49 AM
    Thank you all for the replies. I understand now that I will have to buy a new mobile phone. I do not feel any sentiments towards BlackBerry. In fact, I kind of feel screwed by them, so I doubt it would be a BB Android phone. But, I will see when it comes to the actual buying.

Thanks all, again.
    If you've gotten 4 years from the Z10 and two apps you need are no longer compatible because the service providers (Skype and WhatsApp) no longer support BB10, how exactly did BB screw you? Am I missing something?
    07-07-17 12:58 PM
    Don't feel so screwed. BB10 was the only mobile system who gave us the possibility of use another system's apps. That's brilliant. it was a nice bet. Both apps are still usable as it was told. One of them till the end of year so far. It was supposed to end the support in the end of the month, it didn't. I still use them both on Q10. Imagine how many Android phones that were launched in 2013 that aren't usable anymore. Give again a good gift to your father again, in christmas, perhaps a new phone or a tablet to use those chat/video conference apps, and be happy.
    07-07-17 02:42 PM
    Z10 can run those apps fine. Get an apk through APK Pure, they have an app and mobile site but it is better to get them off of a computer, so easy to send to dropbox onedrive or box. Light versions are best and some releases work better than others. Download them onto an SD card or the Connect to Dropbox App (or if you have a micro USB to micro USB cable), and install them. I keep the best working versions of the android apps I like but only use sometimes on an 8gb SD and load them off one device to another through USB connection (z10 to Classic)
    07-23-17 12:45 PM
    Hi my Z10 is still running whatsapp fine and for Skype I down loaded version 7.39.0 from apk.com. You can find many places to get this download from many different places. Also you can download the android version of whatsapp and download Waat-a-fix and you'll be able to send pictures just fine. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 11:16 AM