Ok, this is one for the tech guys out there. I am getting a new LG TV and I noticed that it mentions it has connectivity through MHL. So I tried looking it up on the Internet and I am confused. If my understanding is correct, this is a micro is at one end and an hdmi at the other end or is it just another name for a micro hdmi? Also what would be better to connect my Playbook, Z10 and Q10 to the tv?

May thanks

Andrew

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 03:11 AM
    microUSB to HDMI and there is no support for MHL on the PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 officially, though some folks claim it to work / http://forums.crackberry.com/general...aybook-817693/ - Mobile High-Definition Link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Honestly though, your new TV has HDMI ports as well, not sure why you'd fuss with MHL really.
    08-27-13 03:15 AM
    Thanks for reply Bla1ze, i must apologise for not checking for other posts first, I completely forgot. I am not sure why I would bother either, it just got my interest and I thought it might be something new to play with.

Andrew

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 04:16 AM
    Was just noticing MHL as well on some TV's. Looks like it will allow for mobile devices to connect to the TV and its content be available to the TV, and even accessible via the TV remote.

I'm not really sure if this is of much value, though they claim (on Wikipedia) that there are 330 million devices with it already. It would seem strange to have the phone as a kind of slave to a dumb remote. I much prefer the idea of DLNA and Mediacast, where the TV is a dumb device to the phone, which is more likely to be connected to all my sources of media.

DLNA and Mediacast still suffer from many issues, particularly finicky setup (e.g. added apps required on Android, not all media standards seem to work, I'm also not able to play copyright content from my Z10 or Z30 in Canada to my smart TV, or any of my 3 DLNA / Mediacast dongles), and lag (seems really bad from my Android devices - particularly my new Nexus 7 running KitKat).

Miracast kicks @ss for working though. I can be in a hotel with my Z30, plug in a USB stick like dongle to their flatscreen TV, and work using my phone as the centerpiece for handling emails, Evernote, and document viewing. It's when wanting to watch a movie from my phone or PB that I'm still plugging in my MicroHDMI-to-HDMI cable for best results. (I have a great fabric covered HDMI cable that cost $9 on Amazon.com which is so much better than the rubber / plastic HDMI cables, as it unravels smoothly without the kinks of cheap cables).
    12-26-13 06:36 PM
    Can the z10 read usb directly?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 09:40 PM
    Can the z10 read usb directly?

Posted via CB10
    No, it does not have USB on the go.

Z30, 10.2.1.1925
    01-01-14 10:14 PM
    The purpose for mhl imo is so you can charge/power and view at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 10:24 PM
    That is one of the features. Another main one is that you can use your TV remote to access content and control content on your phone / tablet.
    12-30-14 01:50 PM