Could it be a possibility? I think it could since BBM could come into competition with Facetime and iMessage if the iOS version of BBM is identical or near identical to the BB10 version.

Apple might deliberately hold the approval of BBM to see if it's a success on Android before giving it a green light. Cause I don't think they can leave such an app out especially if it's a huge success.

What do you guys think? Would apple decision not to approve BBM hurt the success of the service ? Or would it hurt apple as some of their users might migrate to Android?

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 06:27 PM
    They can't, than they cannot approve Whatsapp, we chat and whatever either

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 06:34 PM
    It's always possible. But then Blackberry can sue them for anti competitive behavior.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and Deanig_12 like this.
    08-07-13 06:37 PM
    Moved to new-ish BBM on iOS sub-forum.
    08-07-13 06:43 PM
    I doubt it, but it is possible I guess. I don't think it'll hurt Apple though. I think BBRY needs the approval more than Apple needs to give it.
    08-07-13 06:48 PM
    Due to regulatory pressure, Apple cannot disallow "competing apps" into their market simply because they compete with Apple services. They did try that early on, but the courts were not going to allow that, given Apple's (then) marketshare.

Apple CAN deny an app if it has serious bugs or if it violates dev rules, and things like that. They frequently send apps back to devs to fix or bring into compliance before they'll approve them. That applies to all devs.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    08-07-13 06:48 PM
    Why would they care about someone using a messaging app or video chat as long as they are using an iPhone or iPad to do it? Blackberry makes zero dollars per year or whatever and Apple sells an iPhone or iPad on a regular basis. It's a no-brainer.
    08-07-13 06:52 PM
    Apple has approved many apps that compete with FaceTime and iMessage. They've even built new APIs in 7 that make it easier to complete with some of their apps.

Apple cares about selling hardware.
    CurveDock likes this.
    08-07-13 07:02 PM
    Why would they care about someone using a messaging app or video chat as long as they are using an iPhone or iPad to do it? Blackberry makes zero dollars per year or whatever and Apple sells an iPhone or iPad on a regular basis. It's a no-brainer.
    Apple has approved many apps that compete with FaceTime and iMessage. They've even built new APIs in 7 that make it easier to complete with some of their apps.

Apple cares about selling hardware.
    I mostly agree. I figure that it makes iOS even that more attractive.
    08-07-13 07:06 PM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry is not the litigious type, so we may not see a battle of the fruits if one decides to block the other.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-07-13 07:07 PM
    Guys.. BlackBerry, apple, android (google) are laughing right now. Lol

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 07:19 PM
    Who cares!?

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 08:19 PM
    Could it be a possibility? I think it could since BBM could come into competition with Facetime and iMessage if the iOS version of BBM is identical or near identical to the BB10 version.

Apple might deliberately hold the approval of BBM to see if it's a success on Android before giving it a green light. Cause I don't think they can leave such an app out especially if it's a huge success.

What do you guys think? Would apple decision not to approve BBM hurt the success of the service ? Or would it hurt apple as some of their users might migrate to Android?

Posted via CB10
    I know this is harsh and hard to believe but apple doesnt think of blackberry or BBM as even remotely a threat to them. They have let in dozens in not 100s of different apps that do the same function and are cross platform; moreover, have far more features then BBM or imessage. They are a hardware company they money their money on hardware, not how many people use imessage.

Blackberry is a fine company making decent products. I do hope they break in to the market but fan boys need to wake up if they think BBM going cross platform is such a huge threat that others would try to stop it and try to make the product fail.

Wake up.
    Last edited by pineappleqwer; 08-07-13 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added comments on hardware
    08-07-13 08:34 PM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry is not the litigious type, so we may not see a battle of the fruits if one decides to block the other.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Steven Zipperstein selected as new Vice President and Chief Legal Officer of Research In Motion | CrackBerry.com

Well, they just got a new lawyer. It might not mean they're going to start suing others any time soon, but that beefs up their legal department a bit.
    Doing a google search, this guy is getting like $ 5 Million in compensation!!
    08-07-13 08:41 PM
    Then they are cowards. :]

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    08-07-13 08:44 PM
    I know that they can't "not approve" BBM on iOS, but they can make life a bite more difficult for BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 12:17 AM
    Steven Zipperstein selected as new Vice President and Chief Legal Officer of Research In Motion | CrackBerry.com

Well, they just got a new lawyer. It might not mean they're going to start suing others any time soon, but that beefs up their legal department a bit.
    Doing a google search, this guy is getting like $ 5 Million in compensation!!
    Nice, he started at what looks like a boutique litigation firm, but it's hard to trace the firm's history.

Then again the Apple-Samsung tit-for-tat litigation was not really productive in my opinion. Fun if you're in IP tech litigation, and a lot of hours, but not good for mobile technology.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-08-13 07:44 PM
    they cannot ignore 60mil of current BBM users in addition to more that will be converted from WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 07:10 AM
    BBM for IOS and Android are gunna be realeased at the same time what i don't get is what is the big f****n fuss over bbm it will help plenty of people connect and never herd so much drama over one app :/ what the company should think about is customers instead instead of fighting over daft stupid stuff
    09-15-13 05:42 PM
    Bitter much...

Posted via CB10
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    09-16-13 10:32 PM