I have been debating whether or not my Z10 is getting "good" battery life or not. When I say "good" I mean taking into account what the competition and modern superphones are able to do in the market today. I am not comparing to the old 9700 days. I have never used an iPhone or an Android for any length of time to judge how those devices batteries would hold up with my usage level.

I am finding that my Z10 is able to get around 12-14 hours before needing to be charged. I receive, view and answer between 50-75 emails, 30-40 BBM messages and a few texts in that time. Also several phone calls that last about 5-7 minutes each. I play around with the browser for about 30-60 minutes of the 12-14 hour time frame. I am also flicking around and playing with the OS here and there.

I have the LTE turned off and am on HSPA+. I have screen brightness down to about 40%. Screen time out is at 10 seconds.

So... based on my above usage. Is 12-14 hours "good"?

I really have no idea
    02-08-13 02:47 PM
    I have been debating whether or not my Z10 is getting "good" battery life or not. When I say "good" I mean taking into account what the competition and modern superphones are able to do in the market today. I am not comparing to the old 9700 days. I have never used an iPhone or an Android for any length of time to judge how those devices batteries would hold up with my usage level.

I am finding that my Z10 is able to get around 12-14 hours before needing to be charged. I receive, view and answer between 50-75 emails, 30-40 BBM messages and a few texts in that time. Also several phone calls that last about 5-7 minutes each. I play around with the browser for about 30-60 minutes of the 12-14 hour time frame. I am also flicking around and playing with the OS here and there.

I have the LTE turned off and am on HSPA+. I have screen brightness down to about 40%. Screen time out is at 10 seconds.

So... based on my above usage. Is 12-14 hours "good"?

I really have no idea
    You really can NOT compare any older blackberry with the new Z10. The older Bold 9700 never was a touch screen, never had LTE or even 4G ( HSPA+). It never had a new OS, i never had most of the stuff we have now. So really the battery usage is different.

I like my phone being at10-11 hours a day. I have a extra charger at work if needed. You can always buy another battery to have if needed.
    02-08-13 02:53 PM
    So you would say 12-14 hours with modern day superphones, with the above usage, is "good"?
    02-08-13 02:54 PM
    i think 12-14 is good. Its not great but its probably in line with other phones are. How much is your "screen on" time if you can tell?
    02-08-13 02:56 PM
    I would say about 15 min of every hour its on... so in 12-14 hours it would be on 3-3.5 hours
    02-08-13 03:03 PM
    It depends what you're comparing it to. My Nexus 4 was only able to get 12 hours if the screen stays on for no more than 2 hours, and no phone calls whatsoever.

In my experience, this phone his very good battery life. Not the best, but probably in the top 25% of phones, especially when you take Android phones into account (horrible batt life unless they have a ridiculous battery size like the Razr Maxx's 3300 mAh).
    02-08-13 03:10 PM
    To me if I take phone off charger in the morning, then when I "settle in" in the evening for tv, or sitting talking to the wife, (or whatever we want to do such as a movie night) my phone should not be dead, but it is say 25% or so, that is ok. I would like for the phone to go to bedtime and last, but sometimes I listen to music before I hit the sack so if I get to the evening settle in and can just charge it for a bit so I can listen to music then I am fine. I have to say my phone 4 was great, as it wasn't like the 4s and A5 chip being a battery hog. But android on my photon 4g is ok most times I can do alright, but some days I get to the evening and it is dieing, and I hate that. Now this is my weekdays so during work I will not surf Facebook etc, but on the weekends I don't mind charging the phone part was through the day as I am on weekend, might surf/game
    02-08-13 03:29 PM
    Im sure many will agree when I say that I've been spoiled when it comes to battery life with my previous blackberrys. But I think if I can get 6-8 hours out of it that would be great for me. I'm a power user so I would need it to live atleast that long. I have a feeling I could but we'll have to wait and see.
    02-08-13 03:33 PM
    Thats why I wanted to start this thread. I want to know what the real life battery life is of comparable phones, like the Nexus 4. If others here have had experience with these other top end current phones, please post up!
    02-08-13 03:33 PM
    To me if I take phone off charger in the morning, then when I "settle in" in the evening for tv, or sitting talking to the wife, (or whatever we want to do such as a movie night) my phone should not be dead, but it is say 25% or so, that is ok. I would like for the phone to go to bedtime and last, but sometimes I listen to music before I hit the sack so if I get to the evening settle in and can just charge it for a bit so I can listen to music then I am fine. I have to say my phone 4 was great, as it wasn't like the 4s and A5 chip being a battery hog. But android on my photon 4g is ok most times I can do alright, but some days I get to the evening and it is dieing, and I hate that. Now this is my weekdays so during work I will not surf Facebook etc, but on the weekends I don't mind charging the phone part was through the day as I am on weekend, might surf/game
    So what do you do in your day with your phone? What would the "screen on" time be throughout the day?
    02-08-13 03:38 PM
    Yeah I see what you mean Brian. I'm only hoping for my use to get atleast 6. If I can get over that. Or over 8. Even 10-12 I will be more than happy and prolly ecstatic. But I think it was b1aze who said in a video with the crackberry team that he's pretty much come to expect getting an extra battery in this day and age of phones. So when it comes to the use I will just have to wait and see. Thanks for the thread.
    02-08-13 03:38 PM
    Im sure many will agree when I say that I've been spoiled when it comes to battery life with my previous blackberrys. But I think if I can get 6-8 hours out of it that would be great for me. I'm a power user so I would need it to live atleast that long. I have a feeling I could but we'll have to wait and see.
    So in that 6-8 hours what would your "screen on" time be?
    02-08-13 03:40 PM
    Yeah I see what you mean Brian. I'm only hoping for my use to get atleast 6. If I can get over that. Or over 8. Even 10-12 I will be more than happy and prolly ecstatic. But I think it was b1aze who said in a video with the crackberry team that he's pretty much come to expect getting an extra battery in this day and age of phones. So when it comes to the use I will just have to wait and see. Thanks for the thread.
    So what would you want your "screen on" time to be during a day?
    02-08-13 03:42 PM
    i can easily get thru almost everyday with my nexus 4. Days like today when i dont have to work i get much longer, its at 91% after about 6 hours of mixed use on wifi.
    02-08-13 03:47 PM
    I wish modern phones can last for at least a day and a half before needing a charge, but of course this is wishful thinking. A more realistic request for me is that my phone battery last from 4am til 6pm with moderate use. And that's assuming that the battery was fully charged before taking it off charge at 4 in the morning.
    02-08-13 03:49 PM
    I would like my phone to last 14-16 hours. Currently not a problem as I only have a curve. I am a heavy text/bbm/email user from 6:30am till 6:00pm. I browse on it a bit - mostly news sites - and I use twitter a bit. After 6 i generally switch to my pb and will answer emails etc through it. My son often comments that my phone never stops. I can get away with charging every second night. I don't expect to get the 2 day life I currently get with a Z10 though.

My husband has a Note and he browses on it like it's a tablet. He uses a bit of email and texting - nowhere near what I do but not nothing. He usually has to plug his phone in by 6pm - and he hasn't usually unplugged it in the morning before 8.

So for the Z10 I'm hoping for somewhere between those two.
    02-08-13 04:05 PM
    For me, good battery life is anything over 8-9 hours, because thats about the amount of time I spend between leaving for school, and getting back. I honestly would use my phone much less than you, so in other words, the battery life on this device will blow my mind compared to the 9900 I've been using for the passed 11months and 2 weeks (its almost its birthday!)
    02-08-13 04:18 PM
    No smartphone has good enough battery if I can't go on a 4-week trip in Europe on a single charge.
    02-08-13 04:22 PM
    peopel who are concerned alot about battery life should not use a modern superphone with a multi core cpu or large screen.

its really very simple, with speed and performance comes a greater consumption

the way i see it compared to all the other superphones one the market the Z10 is on par, could it be better? they all could be better but will it is the biggest question
    02-08-13 04:36 PM
    I would love to have a phone that I could use with screen on for a high percentage of the time from dusk till dawn, but I don't expect that yet.

With the Z10 so far, I'm a bit unhappy about battery life, but it's mainly because I'm using it so much. If I turn out to be a real power user (as appears to be the case with this baby, compared to the relatively little that I used the 9900) then I'm perfectly happy with the idea that when I'm out all day, I need to have a spare battery. I'd expect that on any device these days.

I had a StarTac years ago on which I slapped a mega add-on battery. Lasted for more than five days of regular use that way. If someone markets a similar double-sized battery for the Z10, it would easily last an entire day (like 8am to midnight) as far as I can tell. Until then, charge when possible (once or twice) during the day if I'm around power, or do a battery swap.
    02-08-13 05:41 PM
    peopel who are concerned alot about battery life should not use a modern superphone with a multi core cpu or large screen.

its really very simple, with speed and performance comes a greater consumption

the way i see it compared to all the other superphones one the market the Z10 is on par, could it be better? they all could be better but will it is the biggest question
    This thread isn't to complain. Its to help people like me who hear the term "good battery life" thrown around, without actually knowing what "good battery life" is
    02-08-13 06:11 PM
    Please everyone. If you post on this thread, please indicate what you are basing your thoughts on with respect to what good battery life is. Screen on time, total time etc etc. Please provide specifics
    02-08-13 06:13 PM
    Thats why I wanted to start this thread. I want to know what the real life battery life is of comparable phones, like the Nexus 4. If others here have had experience with these other top end current phones, please post up!

It depends what you're comparing it to. My Nexus 4 was only able to get 12 hours if the screen stays on for no more than 2 hours, and no phone calls whatsoever.

In my experience, this phone his very good battery life. Not the best, but probably in the top 25% of phones, especially when you take Android phones into account (horrible batt life unless they have a ridiculous battery size like the Razr Maxx's 3300 mAh).
    This phone has much better battery life than the Nexus 4, I can tell you that much...
    02-08-13 06:16 PM
    To me, good battery life means only having to charge it when I go to bed at night.
    02-08-13 06:18 PM
    I would love to have a phone that I could use with screen on for a high percentage of the time from dusk till dawn, but I don't expect that yet.

With the Z10 so far, I'm a bit unhappy about battery life, but it's mainly because I'm using it so much. If I turn out to be a real power user (as appears to be the case with this baby, compared to the relatively little that I used the 9900) then I'm perfectly happy with the idea that when I'm out all day, I need to have a spare battery. I'd expect that on any device these days.

I had a StarTac years ago on which I slapped a mega add-on battery. Lasted for more than five days of regular use that way. If someone markets a similar double-sized battery for the Z10, it would easily last an entire day (like 8am to midnight) as far as I can tell. Until then, charge when possible (once or twice) during the day if I'm around power, or do a battery swap.
    This is my fear - that i'll love the Z10 so much I'll use it much more. Upside - replaceable battery and there are outlets at work so I will charge it whenever I can.
    02-08-13 06:18 PM
31 12