I used to be a BlackBerry user. I loved my Curve and my PlayBook for a long time. But eventually as much as I loved them I realised how flawed they were as devices. My old Curve 9300 was an excellent phone/text device. It was great for note taking and reminders too. Other than that I didn't do anything else with it. I was happy enough with it, till early last year when it started to act funny, with random freezing and reboots.

So I had to get a new phone. I did a TON of research. I narrowed my choice down pretty fast. I despise Apple, so the iPhone was out for me. I loved the look and feel of the Bold 9900. I also love the Nokia Lumia 900. Then I tried he Samsung Galaxy S3. The S3 was just better than the rest at the time (still pretty much is). I grabbed one and never looked back. People tend to have funny preconceptions about Android. I think they base these opinions on having tried a Gingerbread 2.XXX device, and they just think Android is still like that. Of course, that's incorrect. Android 4.0 and up is an excellent, smooth, stable OS. Anyway I'm very happy with the choice to go Android. Except for one thing.

I still love BlackBerry.

I told myself a while ago, that if BB10 offered a real alternative, I'd consider it. But does it really?

Don't get me wrong, the Z10 looks nice (cant play with one yet, they're not here yet). I looks modern and smooth. I think BlackBerry did well with it. But I'm not sure what it has to make me want to replace my S3 with it. What does it do better? The UI looks awesome, but a cool UI is not a good enough reason to switch. Too me, it needs to be at least as good as my S3, or I'm going backwards.

So an honest question, what does the Z10 offer that would win back users who left BB, like me?
    02-24-13 03:49 PM
    Less money to the evilish Google Advertising machine.
    bb624, brout, Crowezine and 1 others like this.
    02-24-13 03:54 PM
    I used to be a BlackBerry user. I loved my Curve and my PlayBook for a long time. But eventually as much as I loved them I realised how flawed they were as devices. My old Curve 9300 was an excellent phone/text device. It was great for note taking and reminders too. Other than that I didn't do anything else with it. I was happy enough with it, till early last year when it started to act funny, with random freezing and reboots.

So I had to get a new phone. I did a TON of research. I narrowed my choice down pretty fast. I despise Apple, so the iPhone was out for me. I loved the look and feel of the Bold 9900. I also love the Nokia Lumia 900. Then I tried he Samsung Galaxy S3. The S3 was just better than the rest at the time (still pretty much is). I grabbed one and never looked back. People tend to have funny preconceptions about Android. I think they base these opinions on having tried a Gingerbread 2.XXX device, and they just think Android is still like that. Of course, that's incorrect. Android 4.0 and up is an excellent, smooth, stable OS. Anyway I'm very happy with the choice to go Android. Except for one thing.

I still love BlackBerry.

I told myself a while ago, that if BB10 offered a real alternative, I'd consider it. But does it really?

Don't get me wrong, the Z10 looks nice (cant play with one yet, they're not here yet). I looks modern and smooth. I think BlackBerry did well with it. But I'm not sure what it has to make me want to replace my S3 with it. What does it do better? The UI looks awesome, but a cool UI is not a good enough reason to switch. Too me, it needs to be at least as good as my S3, or I'm going backwards.

So an honest question, what does the Z10 offer that would win back users who left BB, like me?
    At the moment, it's the UI and nothing else.
    Unless you count the slightly smaller form factor, which is also v pleasant.
    02-24-13 03:55 PM
    A better question is what do you love about the S3? Once you let us know we can comment on whether the Z10 is for you.
    02-24-13 03:58 PM
    It offers Blackberry experience with a performance of a modern phones. Check it out when it comes out and go from there.
    bb624 and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    02-24-13 03:59 PM
    Why don't you give the device a try and see for yourself. Only in your own hands can you truly decide whether a device will suit your need and taste.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    02-24-13 04:12 PM
    So I had to get a new phone. I did a TON of research. I narrowed my choice down pretty fast.
    Just like you previously stated, you can now try to do a TON of research on the Z10.
    It worked before, so I see no reason why that should not work again.
    Only you can make the decision of what device best suits your needs.
    02-24-13 04:24 PM
    It's a blackberry.
    02-24-13 04:44 PM
    I find it hard to answer this as I'm losing things i loved in legacy blackberries. eg data compression is a huge loss for me
    i will be getting a Z10 this week so i should be able to play with it and come to a more solid conclusion
    02-24-13 04:50 PM
    Why don't you give the device a try and see for yourself. Only in your own hands can you truly decide whether a device will suit your need and taste.
    even then it takes few days of use to full understand what the Z10 and BB10 is all about giving it a few minutes to compare is not going to do it for anyone
    02-24-13 04:59 PM
    even then it takes few days of use to full understand what the Z10 and BB10 is all about giving it a few minutes to compare is not going to do it for anyone
    From everything I've read, you are 100% correct. It is a totally different OS, unlike anything used before. Many people expect to pick up a Z10 and have it fit like an old glove. Too many people get very frustrated because there is a learning curve. Unfortunately many of those same people make posts about how terrible it is before they give it a chance. I'm coming from an Android and can't wait to get my Z10 but I fully expect to be frustrated for a few days until it fits just right, which I have no doubt it will. As for the OP, not knowing your needs and expectations make it very difficult for the BB experts here to answer your question.
    02-24-13 05:24 PM
    It's the coolest.
    Ok that totally sums it up. You can stop reading now.
    02-24-13 06:40 PM
    it's the latest Blackberry
    02-24-13 06:53 PM
    Excellent build quality, excellent phone calling capability, BBM messenger, top-notch security
    02-25-13 03:15 AM
    You have to tell us your needs and we can tell you if the z10 has it...
    02-25-13 04:12 AM
    The chicks love it.
    02-25-13 04:18 AM
    I think I read in another thread that it folds laundry and shoots bullets
    bobauckland likes this.
    02-25-13 02:06 PM

A few questions

- What are the top things you need for a phone to do?
    - Are there specific apps that you use on a daily basis?
    - What is it you like about the Samsung? What do you dislike?
    02-25-13 02:15 PM
    From everything I've read, you are 100% correct. It is a totally different OS, unlike anything used before. Many people expect to pick up a Z10 and have it fit like an old glove. Too many people get very frustrated because there is a learning curve.
    I was playing with it for about 20 minutes yesterday and I really didn't find it difficult to pick up. It's a lot different than my 9900 was, but honestly I didn't find it hard. I suppose it helps that I have a Playbook, but I didn't find PlayBook hard to pick up either. Took about three minutes to get the hang of the gestures back when I got it and Z10 seemed to be about the same for me.

I guess a bit of a learning curve for some, but the way some of you guys make it sound, you'd swear it was like the old days of learning all the shortcuts in DOS MS Word vs. DOS WordPerfect. LOL.
    02-25-13 02:21 PM
    OP,
    Haven't you heard about the weekly visit by a stripper to your home and 4 gms of coke/week for everyone who buy a Z10. If that doesn't bring you back nothing will.
    erodenero likes this.
    02-25-13 02:33 PM
    OP,
    Haven't you heard about the weekly visit by a stripper to your home and 4 gms of coke/week for everyone who buy a Z10. If that doesn't bring you back nothing will.
    where can i redeem this offer? lmao gold
    02-25-13 02:50 PM
    Better multitasking (real time multitasking which the GSIII does not offer), higher resolution screen (if that is important to you). I could go on and list a bunch of features, but different phones have different features which make them better in the eyes of who owns them. Features on an Android might fit better with someone while the features on a BlackBerry might fit someone else. All I can really tell you is to try the Z10 and see if you like it better than the GSIII. That is probably the only way to tell.

With the Android thing...I disagree. You say that 4.0 and up are stable and smooth. Not my experience at all. I have had both Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich on Android devices and both have been very buggy, very crashy, very freezy, and not just a pleasure to use.
    02-25-13 03:00 PM
    I find it hard to answer this as I'm losing things i loved in legacy blackberries. eg data compression is a huge loss for me
    i will be getting a Z10 this week so i should be able to play with it and come to a more solid conclusion
    If you have a data plan of less than 2GB you might want to upgrade the data plan or keep most of your usage restricted to WiFi networks.
    02-25-13 03:10 PM
    From everything I've read, you are 100% correct. It is a totally different OS, unlike anything used before. Many people expect to pick up a Z10 and have it fit like an old glove. Too many people get very frustrated because there is a learning curve. Unfortunately many of those same people make posts about how terrible it is before they give it a chance. I'm coming from an Android and can't wait to get my Z10 but I fully expect to be frustrated for a few days until it fits just right, which I have no doubt it will. As for the OP, not knowing your needs and expectations make it very difficult for the BB experts here to answer your question.
    Realistically, you need a week before the functionality of the BlackBerry Z10 is fully appreciated. I am not saying the BlackBerry Z10 is difficult to use. Quite the contrary, which defies the expectations of many people. After the first week you likely won't want to go back to whatever device you were using previously. And the virtual keyboard is way better than this die-hard physical keyboard user could have anticipated without using it.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-25-13 03:16 PM
    It offers:

- multitasking
    - emails, chats, social networks in one place as well as seperate apps.
    - native (made for the phonee) Video Editing Software
    - native Photo Editing Software
    - Timeshift camera function
    - private messenger
    - private servers for BIS/BES.
    - range of over 15,000 apps.
    - the ability to port android apps.
    - 4.2" sized screen. "The mix between two and one handed use"
    - no keys to get worn, apart from about 3 on the side.

Should I continue?
    Chad McBain likes this.
    02-25-13 04:32 PM
46 12