Under the network selection i have 3g and 2g, 3g, 2g. This is a stl100-1 model. at times this H turns to G or E.
    but when it turns to 3g i loose internet connection. Also i loose my bis data connection quite often and it restores itself.
    whatsapp shows a clock symbol for a while and turns back normal.
    i live in UAE and etisalat is my carrier.
    05-30-13 12:13 AM
    H+: HSPA+ with activa data connection.
    h: HSPA+ with no data.
    3G: Standard 3G signal with data connection.
    3g: Standard 3G signal without a data connection.
    E: EDGE (2G) with data.
    e: EDGE (2G), but no data.
    G: Never seen this before but I'm betting on GPRS.
    g: If it ever shows, should be GPRS without data.

Since you have a STL-100-1, you won't see these, but I'll note them just for reference:

4G/LTE/4GLTE: LTE with data. (I don't know if you get lower case for no data - LTE here is still spotty).
    05-30-13 12:17 AM
    Beat me to it.
    If your data drops, I'd suggest getting in touch with your carrier.
    05-30-13 12:18 AM
    Like the other poster said, data availability is indicated using upper or lower casing. Upper means data, lower means no data.

The BlackBerry bullets just indicate blackberry services, like BBM. There is no BIS now.
    05-30-13 12:21 AM
    I honestly don't know for sure why they bothered with the BlackBerry symbol indicator because BIS isn't used anymore...thus, I have no idea what capital letter indicators with or without the symbol means for BlackBerry 10 devices, but I can tell you this much:

Capital letters mean data connection. Lowercase means technology is available but you are not connected to it either due to a problem or because you turn data services off.

H or H+ means High Speed Packet Access and is for all accurate purposes 3G...whether it has the + or not, which just means enhance back haul. Calling HSPA+ 4G would be comparable to calling Enhanced GPRS (EDGE) 3G, which it's freakin' not! Now depending on your carrier/regional settings pushed to your device, HSPA(+) may be called different things in settings and/or network indication. 3G, 4G, H+, whatever. For this reason, LTE, the only true 4G, is usually distinguished by labeling it 4G LTE.

To get really technical, even LTE often fails to meet original 4G standards set in place. In fact, T-Mobile HSPA+ has been found to beat Verizon LTE in some cities. However, LTE Advanced which is being rolled out in some places is as true 4G as you are gonna get.

As for the other indicators...

E means EDGE or enhanced data rates for GSM evolution.

G probably means GPRS which is general packet radio service.

GSM means base digital 2G service which is global system mobile. Though I believe in BlackBerry 10 they finally made gsm always how lowercase, as it always should have been, since it is only circuit switched data for like SMS messaging. That's it. No pic msgs, no email, etc.

Legacy BlackBerry used to show SOS for emergency calls only. This happens when your SIM card is invalid, broken, unprovisioned, etc. Or it happens when you don't have coverage with your carrier but by law all carriers with same network technology must share usage for 911 calls. Current BlackBerry 10 phones I believe show just a red phone icon.

A picture of a plane means you enabled airplane mode. And I hate that ultra-consumer term. Why couldn't they just call it All Connections Off?

I think I covered everything.

~STV
    05-30-13 12:25 AM
    Like the other poster said, data availability is indicated using upper or lower casing. Upper means data, lower means no data.

The BlackBerry bullets just indicate blackberry services, like BBM. There is no BIS now.
    See, I left you something to do! ^^

I honestly don't know for sure why they bothered with the BlackBerry symbol indicator because BIS isn't used anymore...thus, I have no idea what capital letter indicators with or without the symbol means for BlackBerry 10 devices, but I can tell you this much:
    "Like the other poster said", it is there to show you are connected to BlackBerry's servers and therefore can use services like BBM, BBM Video and BlackBerry Protect.

There may not be BIS anymore, but you still need to be connected somewhere to get those services working. Got it?
    05-30-13 12:28 AM
    Ahh! There was a post before my second one. What happened to it? It was a guy saying the bullets meant data services.

But it's now gone.
    05-30-13 12:41 AM
    See, I left you something to do! ^^

"Like the other poster said", it is there to show you are connected to BlackBerry's servers and therefore can use services like BBM, BBM Video and BlackBerry Protect.

There may not be BIS anymore, but you still need to be connected somewhere to get those services working. Got it?
    Got it, and thanks. You are da man/woman!

So...

Lowercase = network technology available but not being utilized

Uppercase = network technology available and connected but no connection to BlackBerry internal services.

Uppercase and BlackBerry symbol = full data capabilities for the network technology indicated

~STV
    05-30-13 12:47 AM
    thanks alot guys
    05-30-13 04:00 AM
    The BlackBerry icon is for BBM eh? When I got my Z10 on contract the guy said I need BIS for BBM and a normal data plan for the rest.

I received my Q10 this week (SQN100-3). I went to town and saw just "h" and couldn't open Twitter. I later updated it and now see "H". Thanks Diegonei for shedding light on the signal meanings.
    05-30-13 04:36 AM
    After installing 10.1, I started getting the lower case signals. 2 battery pulls fixed it.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 05:37 AM
    Got it, and thanks. You are da man/woman
    If any other ambassador sees this: Do you see now I was not kidding? :rofl:

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 08:28 AM
    If any other ambassador sees this: Do you see now I was not kidding? :rofl:

Posted via CB10
    What? What are you talking about?

~STV
    05-30-13 08:29 AM
    What? What are you talking about?

~STV
    It's an inner joke, there is nothing to be concerned with!
    05-30-13 11:54 AM
    Hi - i am trying to help someone out. in the baclkberry 9810 if you go to do a manual selction for the carrier after the scan it shows the names of the provider.
    I was trying to do this on a z10 someone had with a SIM from UAE Etisalat and it did not show the provider/carrier name. He is trying to select a different provider to save costs but is unable to do so.
    06-27-13 11:15 AM
    [QUOTE=diegonei;8568526

4G/LTE/4GLTE: LTE with data. (I don't know if you get lower case for no data - LTE here is still spotty).[/QUOTE]

Yes you do get a lower case when you lose your data.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 11:19 AM
    while reading this thread with a lower case h I pulled my battery, half way through thread put battery back in, had H. by the end of the thread I had 4GLTE LMFAO

Well I am glad I understand this now! thanks >>>>>
    12-16-14 11:52 PM
    while reading this thread with a lower case h I pulled my battery, half way through thread put battery back in, had H. by the end of the thread I had 4GLTE LMFAO

Well I am glad I understand this now! thanks >>>>>
    Do not pull your battery on a BB10 device. Hold either the top buttom or both volume rockers for reboots.
    12-17-14 12:12 PM
    BB symbol is reassurance of quality of your handset!!
    03-04-15 03:37 PM
    BB symbol is reassurance of quality of your handset!!
    No way! Really?
    03-04-15 03:42 PM