Like many i have a drawer full of old devices.

Some of them needed to be banished to the drawer or taken out to the yard to be shot.
    But there are some that are still useful.

But for what?

Before i upgraded to my Z10 i rocked a 9810.
    Lets be honest, there isn't much value in reselling the device on Kijiji or Ebay.
    I could just give the phone away.....but im sure there are many other ways i can still put it to good use.

Options i have come up with.

Portable Mp3/Video Player (Like an ipod)
    Camera (for situations where i wouldnt risk the Z10)
    Toy for my Kid (although the drool would definately kill it)

I know there is more "obvious" things it can be used for, but im wondering what creative ways you can come up with.
    08-30-13 08:19 PM
    I normal will sell if I can get a decent amout back. I have bought a new phone every year starting with the Storm so most times prices are still nice when i see but sometimes you just keep them around
    08-30-13 08:21 PM
    I use mine as an mp3 player and for streaming radio on wifi.
    and as a flash drive.
    08-30-13 08:21 PM
    May be just sell?
    08-30-13 08:22 PM
    Unlocked travel phone to pop in a destination country's sim card? (Older BBs are great for travel since their battery life is way better than BB10 devices).

Give it to a relative, especially if they are in developing (non-blackberry super hating) regions.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 08:28 PM
    I usually just give them to a younger family member, but usually keep one just in case my phone breaks or something.
    08-30-13 08:31 PM

Some of them needed to be banished to the drawer or taken out to the yard to be shot.

But for what?

Lets be honest, there isn't much value in reselling the device on Kijiji or Ebay.
    I could just give the phone away.....but im sure there are many other ways i can still put it to good use.
    After I got Z10 I sold my 9800 in a week for $100 on Craigslist. For comparison, it took only an hour to sell my wife's iphone 3 (the oldest model) also for $100 and also on Craigslist.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 08:47 PM
    Until I give it to a family member, my 9700 has been a pretty good alarm clock lol

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 11:00 PM
    I would go mp3 or dedicated offline GPS. Just turn off all radios and those things last days without charge.
    08-30-13 11:00 PM
    My old Curve 9360 still works as a FM radio.
    08-30-13 11:03 PM
    I have been finding uses for them. Whether selling cheaply to friends who need a phone or giving, or using as a music player keeping it clean as a backup.

But I find trading it in the easiest especially if the carriers are giving a decent amount.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 12:00 AM

But for what?

Options i have come up with.

Portable Mp3/Video Player (Like an ipod)
    Camera (for situations where i wouldnt risk the Z10)
    Toy for my Kid (although the drool would definately kill it)

I know there is more "obvious" things it can be used for, but im wondering what creative ways you can come up with.
    It could be useful if you will donate your 9810 to me. I will be happy to receive your old BlackBerry phone. I'm serious.

Posted via my elegant Z10
    08-31-13 12:48 AM
    Usually will just give it to another family member
    08-31-13 01:10 AM
    I just set up my in laws with my old 9000 and 9900 and now they are Blackberry addicts in their late sixties. Added benefit is I have two new BBM contacts (cross platform BBM should give my contacts list a boost too.)
    08-31-13 02:03 AM
    I normally hand them down to family members who need a "newer" device...

Great idea to keep one as a backup device! I normally try to have a decent backup device for places I may go where I'll leave my Q/Z10 home! The beach, partying..etc (bound to have some falls, spills lol). Last backup device was a Note though...screen is now shattered! I remember picking it up and shrugged it off, meh...just a Note...
    08-31-13 03:00 AM
    Husband is using my 9900 after his went through the wash.
    08-31-13 04:10 AM
    Keep it as a souvenir. Make a collection

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 07:18 AM
    I donate all old phones/tech to the local battered women's shelter.
    dee. likes this.
    08-31-13 07:22 AM
    Hopefully with the proceeds they can get some better premises.

I kid, I kid! your doing a great thing there.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 07:26 AM
    I gave my old 9800 to my mom to use in her car,no plan but for 911 calls. She 85 and doesn't want a cell for calls.

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    08-31-13 10:30 AM
    I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought....

I know there are many people you can give it to or places that you can donate it to.

But I meant what other uses can you find for the old device?

Here's an example.

Using only wifi, With the correct app you could use it as a monitor for video cameras. You could use a ipcam as a baby monitor that can be accessed from a mobile device. Now you have a device you can leave with a sitter when you go out.

While still being able to check in on the cam from your device.

On the same token, you could use the BBM on the old device to keep in contact with the sitter while you are away.

Posted on a Post-It!
    08-31-13 12:19 PM
    I still have my BlackBerry Torch 9850 as a spare when I got to wait for a new Z10 if my Z10 takes a crap.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 12:51 PM
    I use my old Storm2 with PB power point presentations. Works great with BT Bridge in Presenter mode
    awindsr likes this.
    08-31-13 12:51 PM
    Damn it! You had to go and post something that makes me feel like a turd as my old phones become toys for my kids.
    Nice move. Feels good to help those who are struggling.
    Two thumbs up!

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 12:59 PM
    I still tinker with my Nexus One, and was using my iPhone 3G as an ipod until I sold it and got a non-touch Nano.

Don't tinker with the Nexus S as much, even though it's technically more powerful. Never really liked the thing much.

Some day i might put my Phone collection in a display case, but today is not that day.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    08-31-13 06:50 PM
27 12